How Many Square Feet Can a 50-pint Dehumidifier Cover?
A 50-pint dehumidifier can remove moisture between 2,000 to 3,000 square feet of room size. If is a very damp room at 50-60% humidity, expect coverage to drop between 1,500-2,000 square feet. If is a wet room with 70-85% humidity, coverage would drop further between 1,000-1,500 square feet. For the most extreme wet room at 85-100% humidity, the room size coverage will be at the lowest peak of 1,000 square feet.
Who is this for?Anyone in the household would benefit from a 50-pint dehumidifier. A safe choice that is smack between 30 to 70-pint models. Technically, if you have a large room size, a 50-pint model would also be capable of doing a 70-pint model role at longer hours. For an extremely wet room size, expect coverage of less than 1000 square feet. With that, most living hall, studio, bedroom, garage, or basement is A-OK.
The smaller brother to the 70-pint version, Frigidaire FAD504DWD 50-pint is a proven and capable dehumidifier. It has the familiarity design that you will know where is this coming from. Circling around the exterior, you will have large air ventilation and a bottom bucket with a water indicator. Tucking inside is the antibacterial mesh filter that works as an antimicrobial coat. Another bonus feature is the extra-long power cord for better mobility with a limited wall socket.
All dehumidifiers here comes with anti-frost, auto-restart, shut-down, low-temperature operation, and a 24-timer. No exception with Frigidaire FAD504DWD. The only thing you need to contend with is the rather loud fan noise and dated control panel. Minor complains but is there.
- Genuine 50-pint capacity output despite the recommended room size is only 1000 square feet.
- SpaceWise design with convenient grab handle and tucked in casters.
- A better antibacterial mesh filter that prevent dust, bacteria, and odors from being released back out.
- Extra-long 6 ft. three-prong power cord that can be stored behind the dehumidifier.
- Advanced safety feature including filter check are all here.
- Loud noise that can be unbearable for home use.
- Limited cleaning mode with less controls to fiddle around with.
Ivation IVALDH50PW 50-Pint is another household name that many has grown accustomed to. It is super easy to use thanks to the simple controls with clear humidistat reading. The upfront water tank is big enough for normal use without having to empty it every day or so. It is also known for its energy-saving mode while still providing the same dehumidification output. If you need a reliable model with all the supporting features that you would expect no less, this is the one.
Like most dehumidifiers here, Ivation IVALDH50PW 50-Pint can be annoying loud with turbo mode activation. The drain hose connector is also smaller than average fitting. You will need an additional holder ring to fit with a standard garden hose tube. Not a big dealer though.
- Consistent dehumidification performance.
- Easy to use controls with accurate humidistat reading.
- Low power consumption certified by Energy Star.
- Supportive features with permanent filter, timer, auto-restart, defrost all come standard.
- The clear connector tube is hard to insert it snuggly with a hose. You will need an additional holder ring or screw that is not included in the default package.
- Noise can be loud at the highest speed setting.
Known as a tank by many users, Tosot GDN50BA-A3EBA2B dehumidifier has one the highest fitting quality around. Based on its track record, it can easily last you at least a couple of good years even if you operate 24 hours a day. The 50-pint capacity is powerful enough to support wide coverage and stop the spread of mold. Given its high output, the noise level is surprisingly subdued. Livable in the living room or kitchen area.
We mentioned how bulky Tosot 50 Pint GDN50BA-A3EBA2B is, the weight is also heavily impacted due to the size and features. It is not easy to move the dehumidifier around even with the caster wheels. There is also the minor condensation issue that occurs after a long-running time. Neglectable.
- Fitting is one of the best in the industry with no signs of off-gassing.
- Absorb moisture rapidly and swiftly according to the presetting.
- Works well with either the front bucket support or gravity drainage.
- Produce less noise than the same category dehumidifier.
- Easily the bulkiest and heaviest 50-pint model here.
- Can create condensation on the floor for long operation.
Simplistic yet functional is the good reflect of Danby DDR050BHWDB 50 Pint Dehumidifier. It can operate at low temperatures while auto restart, auto shut-off, auto defrost are all included. Support continuous mode and manual removing bucket depending on your preferences. Multiple controls including humidistat reader, filter check and 24-timer function. Most important of all, it will provide swift dehumidification without any hiccups.
Like a lot of dehumidifiers here, Danby DDR050BHWDB will generate quite a bit of heat during long hours operation. It can be noisy at max speed and the garden hose connector can be tricky on first time setup. All the complains are not a big deal and easily liveable.
- Perform exactly as advertised.
- Low temperature operation at 41F.
- Room temperature, humidity level display plus smart dehumidifying.
- Can generate quite a fair bit of heat during operation.
- Noisy at high speed.
- Does not support garden hose with larger tip without modification.
For a long period of time, we are struggling to find a reason to include Whynter RPD-501WP. It has dated design, limited functionality, and is certainly not the cheapest. But after crossing the negative, there are still many things we like about this 50-pint dehumidifier. Its dependable dehumidification performance for start, then there is the larger 14-pint reservoir. Adding the spec list is the silver-coated washable pre-filter that block even the tiny particles. Airborne irritants like dust, dust mites or germs will not stand a chance.
There are plenty of good dehumidifiers out there and sadly there are even more horrible ones in the market. Whynter RPD-501WP 50-pint dehumidifier is probably not the best option, it will do its job and that itself is the most important factor of all.
- Slightly more affordable than the rest.
- Decent dehumidification performance in stopping mold and mildew growth.
- Dual mode silver-coated washable pre-filter.
- Large 14-pint water bucket for longer use.
- Build quality is questionable especially on the earlier batch model (EB error).
Midea is a big brand. Surprisingly its dehumidifier cost less than what other big brands are churning out. There is not even any compromisation needed on the features or performance. The build quality is decent with clean, modern design. It supports 50-pint dehumidification and low-temperature operation even on a cold day. Autonomous restart and shut down is also available during a power outage.
Midea MAD50C1YWS 50 Pint Dehumidifier is the perfect model for continuous drainage option. If you plan to do empty the collected water manually, the front bucket and 24-hour timer are also in place. We do hope the water bucket could be larger, but no biggie if the room humidity level is not too bad.
- Easily the cheapest dehumidifier here with high dehumidification output.
- Exceptional build quality with the modern design yet without neglecting the usability.
- Low noise operation with that produce only a maximum of 51-decibel operational noise.
- Auto power outage, auto defrost, continuous mode, and timer are all in.
- The water bucket could be larger for less hassle water clearing.
🏆 Honorable mention
- DeLonghi series
- Ivation series
📃 Previous holder
2020 Best Dehumidifier 50 Pint
|Dehumidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|Frigidaire FAD504DWD 50-pint Dehumidifier|
|50 pints (35 pints DOE 2019)||2000 sq. ft. (186 m2)||8.2|
|Ivation IVALDH50PW 50-Pint Dehumidifier|
|50 pints (35 pints DOE 2019)||3000 sq. ft. (279 m2)||8.3|
|Tosot 50 Pint Dehumidifier|
|50 pints (35 pints DOE 2019)||3000 sq. ft. (279 m2)||9|
|Danby 50 Pint Dehumidifier|
|50 pints (35 pints DOE 2019)||3000 sq. ft. (279 m2)||8.4|
|Whynter RPD-501WP 50 Pint Dehumidifier|
|50 pints (35 pints DOE 2019)||3000 sq. ft. (279 m2)||8.1|
|Midea MAD50C1YWS 50 Pint Dehumidifier|
|50 pints (35 pints DOE 2019)||7.5|
Yay or Nay for a Dehumidifier With a Built-in Pump?
For 50-pint dehumidifier, we will recommend relying on gravity drainage as built-in pump is not available on most models. However, the gravity pump is less flexible as it can only pump-out water if is below the dehumidifier or few feet away. You will also have to get the right fit garden hose to make it work. Alternatively, you will still have the option to purchase an external pump if you want the convenience to remove water at any location. Otherwise, just manually empty the water bucket when the tank is fulled.
The Best 50 pint Dehumidifier to Buy Guidelines
There are hundreds of 50-pint dehumidifiers currently in the market and features wise are all identical to each other. So how do we differentiate which models will do well in our test? Below is our review guideline in determining the ultimate mid-range dehumidifier.
- Design and build quality - Arguably the most important criteria here. The dehumidifier must have the durability and reliability for long term usage. If there is an obvious poor fitting or unfavorable review, we will not consider it.
- Pricing - Anything below $200 is an obvious plus point. The brand, feature, and availability will definitely play some role in it. Not a major factor since most dehumidifiers in this category are priced close to each other.
- Drainage options – Gravity drainage plus a fairly large bucket (>12 pints) is a must. Built-in pump on the other hand is optional. Most models will have this part covered.
- Power usage - It's a fact that some models consume less electricity than the rest despite the same power output. If you plan to use it on a daily basis, opt for models with Energy Star.
- Noise level - A critical factor in deciding the best 50-pint dehumidifiers. Depending on the placement, the noise output could determine how well the device can cope in the basement, bedroom or living hall. We will measure the noise level based on the lowest fan speed setting.
- Timer and washable filter - 2 basic features that must be included to be in the list. The countdown timer works exactly as how it should. The washable filter will prevent allergens from traveling with the water vapor.
- Auto-restart and auto shut-off – Again a must-have features for all the models here. Auto-restart will reset the dehumidifier if there is a power outage. Auto shut off will stop the device from running if the bucket is full.
- Auto defrost and low-temperature operation – Most dehumidifiers have this feature but not all will work flawlessly. Our criteria are simple. If the device can work under extreme conditions without freezing up, it passed our requirement.