What Is 2-in-1 Air Purifier Humidifier?
Air purifier humidifier is the combination of two electrical appliances with different functionality into a single device. The air purifier part will focus on cleaning the air by removing harmful airborne particles. This includes dust, hair, dust mites, mold, pollen, pet dander, bacteria, smoke, and odors. Humidifier on the other hand, will increase the humidity level by dispersing moisture into the air. This makes the air much breathable and prevents dryness symptoms like dry skin, chapped lips, and dry cough.
In short, air purifier and humidifier are not the same. Allergy sufferers or asthmatics people would benefit greatly from an air purifier. A humidifier is needed when the humidity level drops below 30%.
Who is this for?Best used in a household with dry air and poor air quality environment. Rather than getting 2 separate units, the number one reason people would get one is because of the space-saving factor. Perfect for studio, basement or small bedroom with limited space and during the winter season.
Best Air Purifier Humidifier
If you want an outstanding air purifier that can also humidify the air, Sharp KC-860U Plasmacluster is your answer. The air purifier comes with a complete 5-stage filtration that can tackle any particulate matters. First off, you have the micron mesh pre-filter that blocks out large particles like dust and hair. With those irritants out of the way, the 99.97% efficiency HEPA filter will focus on trapping tiny particles as small as 0.3 microns. The microbial coating on the HEPA filter will also inhibit the growth of mold and other microbes. Following that, the deodorizing filter will trap smoke and odor particles coming from all indoor sources. Finally, the ions disperse through PlasmaCluster will attach and break down airborne pollutants.
At this point, we have not even had the chance to touch on the humidifying features. Sharp KC-860U comes with a modest 1.14 gallon water tank that is good for all-day humidifying. The smart sensor allows you to set the precise humidity level you desired via the digital humidistat. Once set, The air purifier will stop only the humidifying function when the room dampness level is achieved. Air purifying operation will continue on as usual.
Nothing is perfect in this world. There are few minor drawbacks for Sharp KC-860U PlasmaCluster to think about. The most obvious one is the expensive price tag that can cost 3-4 times of a basic air purifier humidifier. There is also no timer feature which is surprising given autonomous mode is included in the spec. Bypassing all that, this is arguably the best air purifier focus model with addon humidifying function.
- Air purifier focus setup with addon humidifier function.
- Outstanding 5-stage filtration with above 200+ cfm CADR.
- Long-life deodorizing filter and True HEPA filter with microbial coating protection.
- Plasma cluster Ion Technology that is effective against viruses and mold.
- Auto mode + Smart Sensor (temperature, dust, and humidity).
- The most expensive model here.
- There's no timer option in the setup.
- Small water tank with limited humidifying performance.
Think about it as a cheaper alternative to Sharp Plasmacluster. Oreck WK15500B Air Refresh is a solid 2-in-1 HEPA air purifier & ultrasonic humidifier. It comes with a decent HEPA Media filter that traps 99% of airborne particles including mold, pollen, and germs. There is also a charcoal odor-removing filter that will trap musty smell or gases coming from cooking or cigarette. With fewer impurities in the air, moisture will be dispersed out through the humidifier section. You can pick the exact humidity level you need with the support of the built-in humidistat and sensor. Otherwise, the timer is there for a quick set before leaving the room.
On paper, Oreck WK15500B Air Refresh is the ideal 2 in 1 air purifier and humidifier given its almost complete filtration. It is slightly let down though by the high price tag and limited purifying coverage. The weak airflow output means this air purifier humidifier is best used in a small room. Then there is the short filter lifespan that can be annoying but it's not a deal-breaker.
- Strong humidifying that will auto switches on/off to the desired humidity level.
- Capable of capturing smoke and tiny particles via the bundled HEPA media and Charcoal filter.
- Highly adjustable with 8 hours timer, 4 fan speed, and sleep mode.
- Easy to read digital display that will filter lifespan indicators.
- Expensive selling price even though the filter replacement cost is reasonable.
- Weak airflow performance with limited purifying coverage.
- Short filter lifespan on both HEPA media and carbon filter.
A humidifier with addon air purifying function? That's BONECO W300 Air Washer to you. A durable, Swiss-made humidifier with a long heritage all the way back to 1956. Powered by a rotating evaporator technology, the evaporator mat will moisture the air up to 3 consecutive days via its large water tank. At the same time, the water will act as a natural defensive filter that frees the air from dust, pollen, and mold particles. You can even use it as an essential oil diffuser as there is a built-in fragrance container. Complementing all that is the wide 540 square feet coverage that is ideal even for living hall.
So what's the downside to BONECO W300 as an air purifier humidifier? It is very humidifier oriented so there's very air purifying to begin with. You will not find any HEPA or deodorization filters bundled in. Pricing is also on the higher side and the bulkiness can be a problem for a smaller home. Still, if you want an easy to use and maintain 2 in 1 air purifier and humidifier, W300 will not disappoint you.
- Cover up to 540 square feet of space.
- Rotating evaporator mat that uses water as a natural filter against impurities.
- Swiss made with large 3.2 gallons of water tank for continuous operation.
- Humidifier diffuser with integrated fragrance container for essential oils.
- Automatic shut-off the machine when the water base is empty.
- Easy to clean with dishwasher-friendly parts.
- Basic functionality with only a simple dial knob controls.
- Heavy and bulky.
- Mediocre air-purifying performance without any HEPA or carbon filter.
An affordable multifunctional model with a strong emphasis on the humidifying part. While some might not consider OPOLAR EV01 Evaporative Humidifier an air purifier humidifier, we beg to differ. Under its filtration list, there's an ionizer that can be switched on to help break apart tough airborne contaminants. Supporting that is the honeycomb wicking filter that segregates mineral deposits, grey dust from the water. At the end of the line, only clean air and moisture will be discharged and the cycle will repeat itself.
What else do we like about OPOLAR EV01 air purifier humidifier? It has a whisper-quiet, reliable humidifying output despite the compact body. There's a timer option that is rare at this price range. Power consumption is also very low but on the flip side, that would translate to a weak airflow performance. Continue with the complaint path, there's no HEPA or carbon filtration, digital screen, humidistat or any sensory parts. In short, a very decent humidifier with air purifying features for the price of less than 100 dollars.
- Cost less than 100 for a complete air purifier humidifier with timer.
- Compact size that is only around 12 inch in width.
- Honeycomb filter combines well with the ionizer to capture impurities.
- Low energy consumption at only 18 watts.
- Whisper-quiet operation.
- Weak airflow and humidifying performance that is only meant for close-range use.
- Lacks HEPA and carbon filter in the filtration setup.
- Basic functionality with no sensor, humidistat or air quality indicator.
An air purifier humidifier that does not use any mechanical filter to clean the air? Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, Venta LW25 Airwasher 2-IN-1. At first glance, this is nothing more than a robust humidifier with a wide 485 square feet coverage. But what's underneath is the unique cold evaporation technology that can purify and humidify the air at the same time. White dust, pollen, mold, pet dander, and other allergens do not even stand a chance. Another "cool" advantage with cold evaporation is the extremely low power consumption at only 8 watts. Not to mentioned the hassle-free cleaning as there are absolutely no filters involved.
The strong suit of Venta LW25 Airwasher is also its kryptonite. The filterless setup is incomparable to the efficiency of a traditional air purifier with HEPA filter. Pricing is also quite steep when compared with a humidifier only model. Still, the price package does come with a strong humidifying range, 3 speeds, and automatic shut-off option. Go with this if you want something that is very easy to use and maintain.
- Cold Evaporation tech that capable of removing dust, pollen, pet dander, and other allergens without a filter.
- Cover up to 485 square feet of humidifying.
- Super low power consumption between 3-8 watts.
- Strong humidifying with a large 2 gallon water tank with level indicator.
- Cover up to 10 years warranty on defects in material and workmanship.
- A humidifier focus machine than barely has any air purifying features.
- Slightly pricey given its limited controls.
The air purifier humidifier that nobody talks about but us. Honeywell HCM350B (black) or HCM350W (white) is a beautiful yet inexpensive germ-killing UV humidifier. It comes standard with an ultraviolet light technology that kills up to 99.9% of bacteria, mold, fungus, and viruses. With the water now almost germs free, the antimicrobial wicking filters will then trap any mineral deposits in the water. Finally, the dry air will be pulled in, absorbing the clean water before dispersing out as a fine visible mist. A simple but effective evaporative humidifying.
So what do we hate about this modern, compact UV humidifier air purifier? Definitely not the price as it can be yours for less than 100. It is the troublesome and expensive wicking filter that requires replacing every 30-60 days. If you are those people that hate cleaning or you're looking for a full-size HEPA air purifier humidifier, Honeywell HCM350 is not for you.
- Cost less than 100 for a solid air purifier humidifier with a proven track record.
- UV light technology eliminates 99.9% of the bacteria.
- Patented wicking filter with an outer blue pre-filter to capture large particles. Antimicrobial will inhibit 99.99% of bacteria growth and migration on the filter.
- Modern, compact design yet manage to squeeze in a fairly large 1-gallon water tank.
- Reputable brand with 3 years warranty.
- Wicking filters requires replacing every 30-60 days which can be quite costly in the long run.
- No HEPA filter, carbon filter, autonomous purifying or any cleaning mode.
- Basic humidity function with no auto on/ off.
2020 Best Air Purifier Humidifier
|Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Filtration||Coverage||Score|
|Sharp KC-860U Humidifier Air Purifier|
|5-stage||341 sq. ft. (32 m2)||5.4|
|Oreck WK15500B Air Refresh Humidifier Air Purifier|
|2-stage||115 sq. ft. (11 m2)||5.4|
|BONECO W300 Air Washer Humidifier Air Purifier|
|1-stage||540 sq. ft. (50 m2)||5.4|
|OPOLAR Evaporative EV01 Humidifier Air Purifier|
|2-stage||540 sq. ft. (50 m2)||5.4|
|Venta LW25 Humidifier Air Purifier|
|1-stage||485 sq. ft. (45 m2)||5.4|
|Honeywell HCM-350 Air Purifier|
Can You Use An Air Purifier And Humidifier Together
Yes, you can use an air purifier and humidifier at the same time as they serve different functions. In fact, both will complement each other in improving indoor air quality. Air purifier will clean harmful pollutants while humidifier adds moisture into the air making it easier to breathe. If you feel the air is very dirty, dry, and stuffy, have an air purifier and humidifier running side-by-side.
The Advantages of Air Purifier Humidifier
Buying an air purifier humidifier can be a sensible choice for you and your family. Besides money, space, and efficiency, there are still lots of benefits to reap from it. Some points are pretty straightforward while others may surprise you. So if you are considering getting an air purifier and a humidifier separately, why not spare some time and go through all the perks below:
- Cost-effective - You are paying for a single device with dual functionality instead of paying for 2 separate devices for the same purpose.
- Saves money - An air purifier humidifier is much more energy-efficient as it has only a single electricity usage. Running 2 appliances at the same time can really hike up your electricity bills. Also, the more runtime the device is running, the less likelihood of you falling sick and incur expensive medical bills.
- Space efficient - Instead of having two bulky devices that eat up your interior space, a single box will do the exact job. It is also much easier to move uno unit around. Great when you're living in a tiny apartment with practically zero empty space.
- Improves indoor air quality rapidly - By making the air less stuffy, less dust with better airflow circulation. With sufficient moisture pump into the air, there will be fewer pollutants lingering and less smelly odors to deal with. Everyone in the household can breathe more comfortably.
- Pairs well together - There is no conflict in having 2 different functionality runs at the same time. One removes contaminants and add moisture in the air with just a simple click. Airborne allergens, cooking odors, chemical smoke, and germs will all be capture at one go.
- Alleviate allergy symptoms - The unique combination helps maintain healthy air quality and humidity. Poor air quality + low humidity may lead to irritation like dry cough, nose bleed, chapped lips, flaky skin, dry vocal cords, and watery eyes.
- Saves time on maintenance - Why go through the hassle on setting up two machines when one will do? Just turn it on and let it run autonomously. Furthermore, you will only have to clean one set of filter rather than having to repeat the same task twice on both devices.
- Relieves stress - The combination of soothing fresh air can really lighten your day. Some models even come with therapeutic function that you can fill it with essential oil. Aromatherapy can help reduce anxiety, improve sleep, reduce stress, and put you in a good mood.
The Disadvantages of Air Purifier Humidifier
There's must be something to give in when squeezing 2 big devices into one. First, it is the limited performance that is incomparable with a dedicated device. You will either be stuck with a weaker purifying with less filtration or a poor version of a humidifier with a small water tank and output. Having an air purifier humidifier also means there are fewer customizable options available. For example, auto mode, ionizer or remote control are a luxury mode in most models. Lastly, the demand for air purifier humidifier is simply not that high. There are fewer options to go for so if you are very particular on certain colors, brands, or functionality, you will be disappointed.
What To Look For When Buying Air Purifier Humidifier Combo
We mentioned the advantages and disadvantages of an air purifier humidifier, how do you decide which model would suit you best? Some models are lean towards air purifier while others are more towards humidifier. So before going for any particular model, understanding your needs is the first thing to do. Otherwise, here are a few more things to think about before making any purchase.
- Set a budget - Most air purifier humidifier will not cross the 500 dollars barrier but you do need to pick a price range. Then there is also the annual filter replacement cost to consider. All these will add up to the cost of ownership.
- Size and portability - One of the main reasons for getting an air purifier humidifier is too save space. Measure the unit overall dimension and make sure it is flexible enough to be placed anywhere in the house. If you only have a slot to place it on top of the bedside table, go with a smaller unit.
- Interior space (room size) - If you intend to use it in a large space area like a living hall or basement, go with a bigger capacity unit. The strong the airflow output, the large area the device can cover for purifying and humidification.
- Power consumption - Some models are simply more energy efficient despite sharing the same power output. Look for those with Energy Star certification. Always remember, the more powerful the unit, the more energy usage it will be consuming.
- Technology and filtration - There are many kinds of setup in an air purifier humidifier. Some come with a true HEPA filter, while others come with a pre-filter, carbon filter or UV-light technology. If you need a specific set of filtration that is not available, maybe this combination is not the right one for you.
- Noise level - An important factor that often gets overlooked. The less noise the machine produced, the more suitable it is during night use. We recommend going for a model with less than 60 dBA at max speed.
- Branding reputation - Check out online reviews on the reliability and durability of the model. Compare every model warranty period and what does it cover. Filter replacement parts availability should also be factor in as well.