2022 Best Air Purifier Fan
|BEST BUDGET||BEST OVERALL||BEST PERFORM-ANCEPERFORMANCE|
|Dyson Pure Cool TP01 Air Purifier||Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link HP02 Air Purifier||ULTTY R21 Bladeless Fan Air Purifier|
|Recommended Room Size|
|800 sq. ft. (74 m2)||800 sq. ft. (74 m2)||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)|
|4.6 ⭐ out of 5||4.5 ⭐ out of 5||4.5 ⭐ out of 5|
How Do We Measure?
As everyone has different needs, there are many factors to look for when buying an air purifier with a fan combination. To make sure you're getting the best out of the deal, consider each factor carefully, as it will play a significant role in your tendency to use the device.
- The basic - To be officially recognized in this list, the fan air purifier device must have these 2 functions under its belt: A) a working fan that can lower room temperature and B) air purification technology that can improve room air quality. No compromisation.
- Design - Pick something you like, as you will be facing the same device for years to come. Even simple things like the color option can impact the practicality of the 2-in-1 air purifier fan.
- Dimension - A direct parallel of how usable is the fan air purifier. If you're planning to leave it on the ground, go with a tall tower fan air purifier with bigger air ventilation. If you plan to use it on the desk or bedside table, go with a smaller fan air purifier that fits well without sacrificing its cooling capacity.
- True HEPA filter - The safest and most effective filter for removing ultrafine particles like germs, pollen, mold, and pet dander. Make sure the air purifier fan is equipped with a certified True HEPA filter instead of the less effective HEPA-type filter.
- Activated carbon filter - An adsorption filter that removes smoke particles, toxin fumes, and odors. Pairs well with a HEPA filter.
- Other types of filtration - The more, the merrier. Having built-in filtration such as Pre-filter, Ionizer, or UV-light will greatly improve indoor air quality.
- Airflow speed - Equally important measurement for fan and air purifier as it determines what room size the device can cover. If budget permits, go with the more powerful unit that can take up and distribute more refreshing cool air.
- Oscillation - A common feature in a fan and air purifier that moves the direction of the body to extend the airflow circulation. Some models will swing at a wider angle, thus maximizing the cool air distribution.
- Airflow circulation - An important ranking factor as strong airflow will help push cool, clean air quicker into the room. As such, all the fan air purifiers listed here must have enough airflow circulation to cover at least a bedroom.
- Price and maintenance - Choose a model you're comfortable with rather than going all out on a premium brand. Top brands like Dyson and Blueair can be expensive to own and maintain due to their filtered-based setup.
- Noise level - The spinning fan noise can be distracting when trying to work or sleep. If you plan on using the fan air purifier in the bedroom, pick a model that can run silently in the background.
- Power consumption - Most fan air purifiers are designed to be energy-efficient due to their long operational hours. Still, there's no harm in looking for a model that consumes the least energy.
- Warranty - Fan air purifiers don't tend to break down easily, but having an extended warranty gives you peace of mind throughout ownership. Go through the TnC carefully and see what the warranty covers.
1. Dyson Pure Cool TP01 Air Purifier
- Air Multiplier technology for its wide coverage.
- Bladeless air cooling design.
- Remove microscopic particles.
- Absorb smoke and odors.
- Remote control, oscillation.
- Expensive price tag.
- Entry-level version with limited functions.
Let's kick start the list with Dyson Pure Cool TP01 (lowest spec variant), the most recommended air purifier fan here. A quiet Mark accreditation awarded, asthma and allergy friendly certified tower fan air purifier combo that fits in well during the summer. Right off the bat, you have the iconic bladeless design and a bottom 360 filtration base with an LED display that dominates the entire outlook. Not only does it looks premium, you will save a lot of time in dust cleaning, particularly on the blades. House in a tall 40 inches height and a space-saving 7.7 inches diameter, Pure Cool is ideal for floor placement cooling but not suited for table use due to its height. With the 8.4 pounds weight, you never have to worry that the fan air purifier will tip over easily without applying force. Even if it does, Dyson Pure Cool will automatically turn itself off to prevent internal damage. A great safety feature that is designed with children and pets in mind.
World's most renowned bladeless air purifier fan with solid HEPA filtration. You can never go wrong with a Dyson model.
Moving to functionality, Dyson Air Multiplier technology is undoubtedly the best bladeless fan cleaner in the world. The strong 10-speed mode airflow output enables a swift and smooth air breeze up to 800 square feet of space. There is bound to be a fan speed that is ideally suited for your daily activity. You can also adjust the 70° wide oscillation for further cool air distribution or set a sleep timer to turn off the machine when you leave for work. Remote control comes standard for adjustment in the comfort of your bed. Ideal for bedroom, living room, kitchen, basement, nursery, or any large room of equivalent sizes that needs cooling and clean air. For most folks, it is the only fan air purifier you ever need in a home.
Dyson Pure Cool uses the iconic vacuum-sealed glass HEPA filter to purify your indoor air while chilling you off during a hot day. At full speed, the 360-degree HEPA filter can remove 99.97% of airborne particles in the air down to 0.3 microns e.g. dust mites, mold, pollen, pet dander, bacteria, and viruses. It is as effective as a standalone HEPA air purifier. For smoke and odor particles, you have activated carbon granules that help capture toxins such as cigarettes, VOCs, radon, carbon dioxide, and ozone. Dyson Pure Cool also handles food and cooking odor well, so be sure to leave it on before you start cooking. Maintenance is almost nil as no cleaning is needed; a big perk over a conventional fan. The filter set only requires replacing every 12 months with an estimated 12 hours of daily operation.
You'll be happy to know that quiet Mark accreditation Dyson Pure Cool noise level remains low despite the strong fan output. It is partly due to the bladeless design with asymmetrical blades hidden on the pedestal. You can run it quietly in the bedroom, next to the baby crib, office, or living room at most lower-tier speeds (1-3). Power usage is on the lower tier too, with minimal incur on the electrical bill. Our test unit has been running daily, and we barely notice any differences in our monthly bills.
Not everything is bright and sunny with Pure Cool TP01. Being the entry-level version, there is no intelligent purification and no auto night mode to assist with air cooling. You will have to manually set the desired speed every time you start the device. TP01 is also not Wi-Fi enabled, so there is no Dyson link app, Alexa, and voice command support. Pricing and maintenance are also on the premium side, but that's the whole package of a Dyson fan air purifier. You have the option to step up to a higher variant, but if air cooling and cleaning are what you need, there is no need to spend the extra dough.
In short: World's most renowned bladeless air purifier fan with a solid HEPA filtration. You can never go wrong with a Dyson model.
±399.99 $$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±69.99)
2. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link HP02 Air Purifier
- Heat + cool + clean air.
- Air Multiplier technology and Jet Focus Control.
- Capture airborne allergens.
- Remove smoke and chemical particles.
- Remote control, intelligent purification, oscillation.
- Premium price tag (+- 600).
- Premium HEPA filter set (+- 100).
Probably the only fan air purifier combo in the world that heats, cools, and cleans. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link HP02 is an expensive, well-built desk air machine that works like no other. It comes with the familiar bladeless design we all loved. It is much easier to clean than basic pedestal fans as they don't have grills that gather dust. The small and short 8.7 x 24.9 x 6 inches circular tube design help accentuate the interior mood to a new level without sacrificing the cooling capacity. Most people will place it on the coffee side table, work desk, or bedside due to its compact nature that occupies very little space. Weight is on the heavier side at 8.6 pounds, and it is not the most effortless air purifier fan to carry around the house. Passive features wise, Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link is asthma and allergy friendly certified with a 2 years warranty that can be upgraded to 5 years. There is hardly a need to do so as the build quality is exceptional; ultimately, the choice is yours.
Ignore the premium price tag. This is the only fan air purifier in the world that cools, heats, and cleans the air simultaneously. No other model even comes close.
No compromise on the features. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link smart controls allow you to turn on the heating, cooling, or air purifying via the bundled remote control or voice command. You can manually adjust the advanced 9 air speeds, enable the multiple diffused modes, activate/ deactivate the wide 350-degree oscillation, or set a sleep timer to chill when necessary. For lazy folks that prefer to set and forget, simply enable auto mode or night mode that intelligently heat, cool, and clean the indoor air based on the room temperature. The built-in sensor will update the fan when an increased level of no2, VOC, or co2 is detected. Being a Wi-Fi enabled version, pair it with the Dyson link app for advanced tracking and scheduling to enjoy clean, cool air every time you step foot in your home.
Dyson's trademark Air Multiplier Technology and Jet Focus Control delivers a consistent and high air concentration of up to 800 square feet. It is similar to Pure Cool airflow cooling performance at half the height. Even during an unbearable hot day, Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link will swiftly replace the hot/ cold air with a breeze of fresh air, even in a large room like the living hall, basement, lounge, garage, dining area, and home offices. Ideal for all-season use with its dual functionality.
Like all Dyson air purifier fans, the dependable HEPA filtration traps 99.97% of the ultrafine particles in the air as small as 0.3 microns during air cooling. It effectively removes common household pollutants like dust, dust mites, pollen, mold, pet dander, and germs while simultaneously increasing/decreasing the room temperature. The extra layer activated carbon granule filter will absorb harmful toxins, smoke, and nauseating odor to keep the room smelling fresh. Both filters are easily replaceable, so no further cleaning is needed on the filter and fan air purifier.
For noise and power consumption, Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link air purifier is slightly on the higher side due to the heating parts. That said, the intelligent auto and night mode will keep the fan noise level down by only running at full speed when airborne particles are detected nearby. It is still possible to use it quietly in the background by opting for a lower-tier fan speed. Power consumption is slightly high but not beyond the realm of hopelessness. To make the air purifier less energy-draining, disable the heating function during summer, as that is the feature that uses the most electricity.
There is almost nothing to dislike about Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link apart from its 600+ dollar pricing and high maintenance. Not everyone can afford one, so think twice before investing in it. For such a premium price, you can easily afford multiple units of fan air purifiers with still some cash to spare. Furthermore, most homes already have a built-in HVAC system, so you're probably better off with a Pure cool model that shares many similarities minus the heating feature. For those who prefer not to have multiple fans + air purifiers lying in their home collecting dust, Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link is truly one-size-fits-all. Be sensible.
In short: Ignore the premium price tag. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link HP02 is the only fan air purifier in the world that cools, heats, and cleans the air simultaneously. Absolutely worth it.
±594.99 $$$$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±70-100)
3. ULTTY R21 Bladeless Fan Air Purifier
- Under 150 dollars with filters.
- Bladeless Fan Technology.
- Capture 99.97% of microscopic allergens.
- Simple operation.
- Remote control, timer, 360° Oscillation
- Lacks odors and smoke filtration.
- Slightly loud at max speed.
This is the cheaper alternative bladeless 2-in-1 fan air purifier that delivers as promised. ULTTY R21 is a good choice if you need a modern cooling home appliance that cools and cleans the air. The hidden blade is safe for children and pets to use as there is no way to insert the finger into the ventilation. Comes with two color options, the 23.5 inches in height and the thin 10 inches in diameter are designed to be home-friendly without taking up much interior space. ULTTY R21 will fit well even in smaller units like a studio apartment, dorm, or shared bedroom, where every inch counts. The 8.5 pounds weight is not the lightest in its group. Yet, the overall dimension makes carrying the air purifier from room to room a breeze, especially during a hot summer day. For those that are residing in California, the ULTTY R21 fan air purifier is officially CARB certified to be ozone-free and can be sold here officially.
The only affordable bladeless HEPA air purifier fan that serves as a good alternative to your typical Dyson option.
An easy-to-use, 9-speed bladeless fan air purifier with remote control. ULTTY R21 can swiftly circulate cool, fresh air into your room up to 320 square feet at 5 air changes per hour. You can instantly change the airflow delivery rate via its 9 air speeds or activate the 1-8 hours sleep timer to turn on/ off the device. To control the airflow direction, ULTTY R21 also supports a wide 90° horizontal oscillation and 30° vertical angle oscillation that helps with the cool air distribution. Great for bedroom, office, baby room, kitchen, garage, and basement that needs the air cooling and purifying.
This is where ULTTY R21 Bladeless Fan Air Purifier gains its reputation as a contender to Dyson without the exuberant cost. Enclosed by a multi-stage filtration, the iron pre-filter will block large particles, mainly dust, pet hair, and lint, from proceeding. Next, the protected H13 HEPA filter capture at least 99.97% of microscopic particles as small as 0.3 microns. The medical-coated silver-ion will further halt microbes like mold, mildew, pollen, bacteria, and viruses from thriving in the filter. Very important to prevent the spread of diseases during air cooling. The only thing missing is the carbon filter that would surely complete the filtration.
Noise level is a bit of a mixed bag for the ULTTY R21 Bladeless Fan air purifier. It whispers quietly under 32 decibels at the lowest fan speed but with a clear, audible fan-spinning noise at the highest speed. Usable but not for those that value absolute silence in their home. Since it does not come with Auto mode, you will have to manually set the fan speed that you are comfortable with. Energy usage is excellent across all speeds. You can leave the ULTTY R21 fan air purifier running all day, all year long, without adding much to your utility bill. Perfect for summer use when it is needed to cool off the hot air.
If air cooling and cleaning are your primary concern, there are no apparent drawbacks with the ULTTY R21 Bladeless fan air purifier apart from the lack of a carbon filter. You will have to rely on other means to remove smoke and odor pollutants. The loud fan noise can be remedied by placing it further or reducing the fan speed. The insensitive remote control can be fixed by pointing directly at the machine. It also lacks the premium presence of a Dyson cleaner, nor should it be treated as one, given you are paying way less for it. That's just the quirk that comes with this air purifier fan.
In short: The only affordable bladeless HEPA air purifier fan that serves as a good alternative to your typical Dyson option.
±149.99 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±36-72)
4. Lasko 42 Wind Curve Tower Fan Ionizer T42950 Air Purifier
- Affordable fan purifier with no recurring cost.
- Space-saving tower body.
- Blue Plug safety fuse technology.
- Filterless ionization.
- Timer, night mode, oscillation, remote control.
- Does not capture airborne particles.
- Loud at high speed.
- Old-school design.
The only fan ionizer on the list that you should consider. Lasko 42 wind curve ionizer T42950 is a practical choice for those that want clean, cooling air without the filter nuisance. It has a conventional tower aesthetic that looks more functional than it is given credit for. There is a back built-in handle and a remote control slot right underneath, so you don't lose the remote. The inclusive woodgrain panel and sleek edges are a nice touch despite the affordable price point. As a cooling fan purifier, the 42.5 inches in height and slim 13 inches diameter makes home placement an effortless task, that is you ignore the heavy 12 pounds weight. Overall we appreciate the great attention to detail for a fan air purifier for under $70.
An affordable tower fan air purifier backed by 100 years of innovation. Best suited for those that need cool, clean air without the hassle of filter change.
As a tower fan, Lasko 42 Wind Curve is outstanding with a consistent and strong breeze of airflow circulation. You can expect a swift body temperature drop with less than 1 hour of the air purifier fan runtime. The optional oscillation can help push the filtered, cool air at a much wider angle (highly recommended to leave it on). At higher speed, Lasko 42 Wind Curve can cover an estimated 300 square feet of space, so no problem placing it in the bedroom, basement, garage, or living room that needs chill, purified air. For whole-house cooling and purification, the larger Dyson Pure Cool might be better suited for the job.
Unlike all the above models that use a mechanical filter, Lasko 42 Wind Curve tower fan air purifier combo is solely powered by an air ionizer. A proven, safe, filter-free technology generates negative ions similar to what you will get in a waterfall. Once activated with the fan, the ionizer will release cool air and discharge negative ions that latch onto positive ion pollutants in the air, ranging from common dust and hair to microscopic germs. The heavier, combined ions will fall and adhere to a surface area. You can clean out the irritants with a rag or vacuum cleaner so the particles would not return to the air.
Moving to noise level, Lasko 42 Wind Curve Tower fan ionizer is silent at the lowest fan speed/ night mode with gentle white noise moving up. Loud spinning fan noise can be heard at the highest speed, so restrict it from being used during nighttime when you are trying to sleep. Power consumption is on the efficient side, but that depends on what speed you are constantly on. In any case, leaving the ionizer on or off will have little impact on both outputs. We highly recommend you leave the ionization on when the fan air purifier is cooling you off for extra protection. If you are concerned about the energy cost, use the customizable timer and set an off-time when no one is around the house. Safety feature wise, Lasko 42 wind curve tower fan ionizer is ETL listed with patented Blue Plug safety fuse technology that cuts off electric current when there is an electrical fault. A 1-year warranty comes standard, but expect the fan air ionizer to last longer.
Let's address the room's biggest elephant: the air ionizer. You gain the convenience of not having to replace the filter like a conventional fan but lose out on the effectiveness of a filter. Airborne pollutants brought down will be stuck on the wall, sofa, shelf, and ground rather than trapped inside the filter. As such, the pollutants could be stirred back up in the air and remain in the room when it is not cleaned up. The ionizer is also not great against chemical fumes and odors, so you will need additional filtration to deal with that. Nonetheless, the Lasko 42 Wind Curve tower fan is still miles ahead of other basic tower fans, which only cools without cleaning. It is the undisputed filterless fan air purifier at this price point.
In short: An affordable tower fan air purifier backed by 100 years of innovation. Best suited for those that need cool, clean air without the hassle of filter change.
±69.99 $$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±0)
5. Blue Pure Fan Purifying Air Purifier
- Minimalist design.
- Patented dust-free fan technology.
- Simple operation.
- Patented air circulation technology.
- Remove and inhibits allergens growth.
- Weak against smoke and odor.
- No auto mode, timer, and remote control.
Dyson might be the most renowned for its 2-in-1 cooling and air purifying combination device, Blueair has something up its sleeve too. Introducing the eco-friendly, Swedish-made fan air purifier combo on this list: Blueair Blue Pure Purifying Fan. It is compact, functional, and pleasing to the eyes without worrying it will get knocked over by the slightest touch. The short, boxy 19.2 x 16.2 x 14.6 dimension fits well on the floor but is better when placed on top of the desktop, like a table fan. Made entirely out of recyclable plastic and galvanized steel, Blue Pure Purifying Fan will give you good karma points on top of cool, purified air. That said, the 16.2 pounds weight is considerably heavy; fortunately, there is a grabbing handle that you can grip for room to room cooling + air cleaning.
A one-of-a-kind, modern-looking fan air purifier that performs as well as it looks. The simple functionality may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Powered by the 3-speed patented fan circulation technology, the Blue Pure Fan air purifier combo will circulate a stream of cool breezing air at a wide 90-degree angle. It can reach up to 1,008 ft³ room size at full speed according to AHAM AC-1-2019 standard. Although the cooling factor is not as widely supported as the coverage suggested, Blue Pure Fan will swiftly cool down the room, particularly during the summer. Complimenting its standout performance, Blue Pure Fan is suited for bedroom, living room, baby room, playroom, or office area use without any obstacle.
Emphasizing its minimalist approach, Blueair Blue Pure Fan air purifier combo is very easy to operate via its single-button setup. You can turn on or off the device and cycle between the 3 fan speeds, all at a single touch. A built-in reminder will alert you to replace the dirty particle filter every 6 months. A vital feature ensures you always breathe clean air in your home without feeling hot and sweaty. A standard 1-year warranty is inclusive and can be extended to 5-years.
Air quality is the big difference between a standard table fan and an air purifier fan. Blue Pure Fan is designed to lower your body temperature and clean your air in just 20 minutes. The front air inlet pulls dirty air in for the fabric pre-filters to remove 99% dust, pollen, hair, and other airborne particles, before releasing the cooler, cleaner air. While on paper, the particle filter is not great against ultrafine particles, in reality, it will deal with most household irritants that trigger your allergies. The pre-filter will also act as an additional filter that shields the fan from being clogged with dirt particles and affects its performance. Unlike a HEPA filter, the Blue Pure Fan particle filter is washable. You can reuse it for at least 1-2 times longer than the usual lifespan. Another feature we liked was the easy filter replacement by removing the back frame. An effortless 3 minutes task that is often overlooked.
For a night of undisrupted sleep with gentle, breezing airflow, you can depend on Blueair Pure Purifying Fan, which has a noise level between 31 to 56 dB(A). Even at max speed, it provides a consistent white noise that is livable even at night use. Highly recommended for those having trouble sleeping at night due to the heat. Power output is on the efficient side, between 30 to 60 watts across all speeds. Being an Energy Star Rated model, you will have decent power even at the lowest fan speed to circulate clean, cool air free from allergens.
Simplicity comes at a price. The Blueair Pure Fan case is slightly above 200 dollars, including the Particle Filter. While it is cheaper than a Dyson bladeless fan, there is no HEPA filtration or activated carbon filter. The particle filter is not exactly HEPA grade, even though the effectiveness is identical. As such, air purification is slightly under par compared with a HEPA air purifier. The single control setup does not support autonomous mode, timer, oscillation, or air quality monitor. The lack of remote control is a big miss in our book. Still, all the drawbacks above have little impact on Blueair Pure Fan's overall usability in cooling and cleaning the air.
In short: A one-of-a-kind, modern-looking fan air purifier that performs as well as it looks. The simple functionality may not be everyone's cup of tea.
±214.00 $$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±25-50)
6. Dyson Pure Cool Link DP01 Desk Fan Air Purifier
- Discounted price with an impressive spec.
- Tower fan bladeless design.
- Air Multiplier technology (clean + cool).
- Traps 99.97% of airborne pollutants.
- Intelligent purification, remote control, oscillation.
- Discontinued model.
- Expensive HEPA filter replacement.
Dyson Pure Cool Link Desk fan air purifier combo might not be the latest model on the list; the timeless design still looks modern without showing signs of its age. Looking at the top to bottom, you'll have the large circular tube that distributes clean, cool air and the lower 360-degree filtration base that helps pulls air in. It is technically a table fan at a short 16.3 x 24.3 x 8.7 inches in size (hence the name). You can place it on a desk during work without worrying it will tip over. Build quality is exceptional, proudly carrying the Dyson brand name.
The OG bladeless fan air purifier from Dyson works flawlessly, even to this day. Plenty of great deals you can find online since it is an older model.
Do not be fooled by its bladeless design, Dyson Pure Cool Link desk fan air purifier can deliver a highly concentrated cool airflow with 360° coverage and up to 400 square feet of room space. Decent, but there are more powerful units around if you need the extra boost. Most people will place it on their work desk, TV cabinet, or bedside table, given its profile. You can also leave it in the kitchen, living room, or anywhere that needs air cleaning and cooling. To manage the airflow distribution, a 10 selectable speed, night-time mode, and sleep timer can be set to turn it off. Otherwise, let the intelligent purification work its magic that automatically monitors, reacts, and feeds to the Dyson link app based on room temperature.
Like all Dyson fan air purifiers, Dyson Pure Cool Link Desk patented Air Multiplier technology chills and cleans the air in a smooth motion. The 2nd generation international standard IEST RP CC001.5 HEPA filter traps 99.97% of allergens as small as 0.3 microns, including dust, dust mites, mold, pollen, pet dander, bacteria, and viruses. The same quality you will get from a standalone HEPA air purifier. Topping that is the activated carbon granules that remove smoke particles and toxic fumes like VOCs, asbestos, radon, CO, and CO2. Perfect for those with hypersensitivity or asthma that require absolute clean air. When the filter is worn out (usually around 12 months), a reminder will promptly alert you to change the glass filter.
Being a compact fan + desk air purifier, energy-efficient is a given where you can run it all day comfortably without burdening the utility bill. The same story with the noise level, quiet Mark accreditation award Dyson Pure Cool Link Desk Fan operates silently with only subtle white noise at a higher speed. Most people will leave it in Auto or night mode anyway that runs discreetly in the background without you knowing its existence.
We loved Dyson Pure Cool Link Desk Fan air purifier combo, even though a lot of newer models have debuted since then. It is compact, practical, well-spec, and one of the least expensive Dyson fans you can get your hands on. Still, it is a dated model discontinued in some regions with limited stock availability. Support is still great, with a healthy quantity of HEPA filter stock that will enhance its longevity. If you prefer the latest model with the updated design and techs, by all means, go for it.
In short: The OG bladeless fan air purifier from Dyson works flawlessly, even to this day. Plenty of great deals you can find online since it is an older model.
±399.99 $$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±70)
What Is A Purifying Fan?
An air purifier fan is an electrical device that cools the air and removes airborne pollutants in a room at the same time. The purifying fan works by pulling dirty air into its single/ multiple filtration or ionization. Once the air is purified, fast-moving clean air will be released and replace the warmer air in direct contact with the skin. The air circulation results in convective heat transfer; hot air will reduce in density and rise, while cold air will increase in density and fall.
Is A Fan An Air Purifier?
An air purifier does not equal a fan; both are not the same device, even though they rely on moving air for distribution. A fan blows cool air while an air purifier circulates clean air by removing airborne particulates.
As you have just read from the list, a dual-function fan air purifier combo merits both cooling and purifying features. There are also other different types of air purifiers in the market as below:
- Ionization - Create a static electrical field that charge airborne particles in the area. The charged particles will fall and adhere to the nearest surface, like a wall, sofa, cabinet, or floor. You will need to vacuum and clean the house to remove the fallen particles.
- Electrostatic precipitator - Diffuse ions like an ionizer but with the added collector plate. It removes airborne particles by inducing a high-voltage electrostatic field. The heavier electrostatically charged ions particles will drop and attract to the collector plate.
- Ultraviolet light - Emit a broad wavelength of electromagnetic UV radiation to disinfect bacteria, viral viruses, and other pathogens from reproducing.
- Photocatalytic oxidation - NASA developed technology that cleans the air without relying on any filter. Eliminate bacteria and viruses through the photocatalysis combination reaction of broad-spectrum UV light and titanium dioxide.
- Thermodynamic sterilization - Airfree patented filterless technology. Sterilize 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms through high temperatures over 400°F.
- Ozone generator - We do not recommend buying one. An ozone generator or Ozonator emits millions of ozone into the air and splits oxygen molecules into single atoms. The single atoms will then merge with other oxygen molecules to create ozone. Inhaling ozone can aggravate asthma, damage lung tissue cells, and cause other respiratory problems.
Can An Air Purifier Be Used As a Fan?
Most air purifiers cannot be used as a fan or air conditioner because it is designed to clean the air, NOT cool a room. It will also not dry out the air by removing moisture. If you want the best of both worlds, there are air purifier fans that cool and purify the air simultaneously by removing up to 99.97% of contaminants as small as 0.3 microns.
Can I Run A Ceiling Fan With An Air Purifier?
Contrary to many beliefs, you can run a ceiling fan with an air purifier together to lower room temperature and improve indoor air quality. There is no need to run a fan or air purifier first, as the increased airflow circulation will have little impact on both functionalities. Even at high speed, a ceiling fan will not circulate airborne particles away from the air purifier.
Is Dyson Purifier A Fan?
Yes, Dyson air purifiers are a combination of a fan and an air purifier. The bladeless fans cool and simultaneously captures 99.95% of particles as small as 0.1 microns, such as allergens, mold spores, pollen, bacteria, and H1N1 virus.. However, it does not have any cooling components like an air conditioner.
Is A Fan Air Purifier Worth Buying Or A Waste Of Money?
Every home needs cool and refreshing air. It is absolutely worth buying a fan air purifier for those staying in a high-temperature area with poor indoor air quality. You get to enjoy 2 vital features packed into a single device. Babies, children, and the elderly would be the biggest beneficiaries due to their low tolerance for a hot and stuffy environment, particularly during the summer. For those staying in a basement with poor ventilation, consider getting one to help with airflow circulation.
A fan air purifier may not be for you if you already have a fan or air conditioner at home that provides sufficient cooling. It is not a necessity for those already with an air purifier at home or does not suffer from a heat wave. Finally, you should not get a fan air purifier if you can't keep up with routine care and filter replacement. It will be a waste of money.
Should I Put An Air Purifier In Front Of The Fan?
No, you shouldn't put an air purifier in front of a fan, as it does not help with airflow distribution. Studies have shown that the additional airflow does not benefit the air filter in pulling (back) or pushing (front) the airborne pollutants. In fact, it can even be an obstruction, as the high-speed fan can disrupt the air purifier from functioning properly.
What Are The Benefits Of Fan Air Purifiers?
There are many advantages and disadvantages to owning an air purifier fan combination. If you are not too sure about getting one, here are the top reasons why one should or should not invest in a purifying fan.
- Cools + clean - The best of both worlds. You get to enjoy cooler and cleaner air free from airborne allergens. No other type of air purifier can offer both features under one roof.
- Hassle-free ownership - Most air purifier fan only requires quarterly cleaning or annual filter change due to the bladeless design. It makes life so much easier without the need to monitor it.
- Silent operation - Most fan air purifier fans are surprisingly quiet at most fan speeds. You can run it continuously without it disrupting your daily routine.
- Space-saving - Why have a separate fan and an air purifier occupy your interior space when you can combine both devices into one. A Purifying fan is ideal for a dorm, office, bedroom, or studio without additional room space.
- Expensive (mostly) - Dyson purifying fans pretty much dominate the market, and expect to pay $300 onwards for an entry-level model.
- Limited options - Besides Dyson fans, only a few options offer a comparable HEPA air purifier experience with a fan.
- Weaker overall performance - While a fan air purifier can perform as well as a single HEPA air purifier, there is bound to be some trade-off in order to fit in the fan blades. You might be compromising at a smaller purifying coverage, smaller filters, carbon filter omission, etc.
Is Fan Air Purifier Safe? Should I Sleep With Air Purifier On?
Fan air purifiers are safe for everyday use, and you can sleep with one turned on. Most purifying fans like Dyson use HEPA filtration that does not generate harmful byproducts, including ozone. Furthermore, fan air purifiers sold in the United States are UL listed, AHAM and CARB certified to work 24x7 without breaking down. It keeps you chill while silently removing pollutants in the air.
How Much Energy Does A Fan Air Purifier Use?
Between 30-60 watts of electricity. A fan air purifier will use almost double the energy of a standard HEPA air purifier due to the additional fan function. That said, you should expect no more than a $12 increase in the monthly electrical bill even with a daily operation of more than 8 hours.
Is It OK To Leave A Fan Air Purifier Combo On All Night?
Yes, it is OK for a fan air purifier on all night during sleep. There are no harmful byproducts emissions to worry about. You can switch off the fan function and only leave the air purifying on to remove airborne pollutants throughout the night. With cleaner air all day, you are at less risk of exposure to allergens and can go on with your day happily. The only criteria are that the filters need to be replaced promptly to support the increased operational hours.
How To Use A Fan Air Purifier Effectively?
Like every household appliance, an fan air purifier requires regular maintenance in order to get the best out of it. Here are a few easy tips to get you started.
- Leave 2-4 feet of space - Doing so will prevent any airflow disruption that will hinder the air purifier fan from distributing cool, clean air. The air purifier fan should be facing the area that needs cooling and air cleaning but makes sure it is not placed directly under a window.
- Do not turn off the air purifier function - While you may not need air cooling throughout the day, air cleaning is much needed as there are persistent pollutants in the air. Most fan air purifiers as the option to disable the fan mode without turning off the air purifying features.
- Keep windows and doors closed - Like an air conditioner, an air purifier fan combo is best used with all windows and doors shut tight. Doing so will prevent purified cool air from escaping and dirty hot air from entering.
- Replace the filter on time - Unlike a conventional fan, a fan air purifier comes with add-on filters that need replacing from time to time. Either replace them when the indicator light is up or when there is a dip in the filtration performance.
How Long Do Fan Air Purifiers Last?
Most fan air purifiers will last 5-6 years or even longer before requiring some repair. The air filters like HEPA and carbon will last 3-12 months, depending on the indoor air quality. The better the air purifier is maintained, the less likely it will break down.
Compare Best Air Purifier Fan
|No||Image||Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Score||Filtration||Coverage||Fan |
|Dimension||Weight||Dust CADR||Pollen CADR||Smoke CADR||Pre-filter||HEPA filter||Carbon filter||Ionizer||UV light||Other filter||All-in-one filter||Noise level||Power output||Timer/ Scheduler||Sensors||Warranty||Auto mode||Remote control||Child lock||ENERGY STAR||Wi-Fi/ BTBluetooth||AQI||Filter indicator|
|1||Dyson Pure Cool TP01 Air Purifier|
|4.6||2-stage||800 sq. ft. (74 m2)||10|
7.7 x 40 x 7.7 in
(19.6 x 101.6 x 19.6 cm)
|8.4 lb (3.8 kg)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Dyson 360° Glass HEPA Replacement Filter
Activated Carbon filter
|<60 W||Variable||2 years|
|2||Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link HP02 Air Purifier|
|4.5||2-stage||800 sq. ft. (74 m2)||10|
8.7 x 24.9 x 6 in
(22.1 x 63.2 x 15.2 cm)
|8.6 lb (3.9 kg)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Dyson 360° Glass HEPA Replacement Filter
|<60 W||2 years|
|3||ULTTY R21 Bladeless Fan Air Purifier|
|4.5||3-stage||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)||9|
10 x 23.5 x 10 in
(25.4 x 59.7 x 25.4 cm)
|8.5 lb (3.9 kg)|
H13 True HEPA filter
Silver-ion Medical Coating
ULTTY H13 HEPA Replacement Filter
|<32 dB||1-8 hours||1-year|
|4||Lasko 42 Wind Curve Tower Fan Ionizer T42950 Air Purifier|
|4||1-stage||300 sq. ft. (28 m2)||3|
13 x 42.5 x 13 in
(33 x 108 x 33 cm)
|12 lb (5.4 kg)|
|5||Blue Pure Fan Purifying Air Purifier|
|4.3||3-stage||200 sq. ft. (19 m2)||3|
19.2 x 16.2 x 14.6 in
(48.8 x 41.1 x 37.1 cm)
|16.2 lb (7.3 kg)||182 cfm (309 m3/h)||182 cfm (309 m3/h)||182 cfm (309 m3/h)|
Blue Pure Fan Particle Filter
|31-56 dB(A)||30-61 W||1-year|
|6||Dyson Pure Cool Link DP01 Desk Fan Air Purifier|
|4.4||1-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||10|
16.3 x 24.3 x 8.7 in
(41.4 x 61.7 x 22.1 cm)
|6.6 lb (3 kg)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Dyson 360 Glass HEPA replacement filter
|<60 W||Variable||YES||2 years|