What causes asthma?
Asthma is a long-term chronic lung disease that inflames and narrows the breathing airways. Regardless of how mild or severe the condition is, untreated asthma can kill within minutes to hours if left untreated. According to studies, one-third of children that died of asthma attack had only a mild level of diseases that are often triggered by airborne allergens such as pollen, mold, dust mite, chemical, smoke or even harmless odor. Symptoms of asthma include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and chest pain/ tightness. While there is no permanent cure, it is treatable and controllable where people can still live a normal, active life. Choosing the right HEPA air purifier would significantly reduce the numbers of airborne allergies from spreading indoor.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Asthmatic person would be first in line regardless of gender, age group or how severe the condition is. People that are hyper-sensitive to allergens, odors, and chemicals would benefit from an air purifier as well. Newborn, infant, children, elderly people or recovering patient that has weakened immune system. Finally, anyone that wants clean air with as little airborne contaminants as possible.
Best Air Purifier for Asthma and Allergies 2019
The first one needs no introduction, IQAir HealthPro features in almost every of our best list sums up how powerful this allergy removal machine is. Rated number 1 room air purifier for allergies, the strong airflow output combines well with the excellent PreMax filter, HyperHEPA filter, and V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter (with Pelletized chemisorption). Whether it is a bacteria type microorganisms or asthma triggering allergies, IQAir HealthPro Plus ensure airborne allergens as small as 0.003 microns size (Yes you read it right) would not be able to bypass the filter. The wide purifying applicable area and 320-degree airflow distribution also mean IQAir HealthPro Plus is great for the whole family that is sensitive to allergens. The perfect model for it to be placed in living hall.The trade-off for being the absolute best air purifier for asthma and allergies is of course the premium price tag. Not only it will not fit into everyone budget, the overall bulkiness along with all the extra airflow juice means IQAir HealthPro Plus might not be the best choice for bedroom use. If pricing is one of your key concern, consider the much more budget-friendly Honeywell HPA300 air purifier.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Another premium air purifier for asthma and allergies to go for. Airmega air purifiers are known for many good things, the highly effective, multi-stage HEPA filtration is what we will be focusing on. As some of asthma-triggering allergens like germs, bacteria or viruses are known to be tricky to take down due to its microscopic size, Airmega 300 would eradicate all thanks to the dual pre-filter that does the dirty work to allow HEPA filter and activated carbon filter handle the rest. The high CADR and dynamic airflow distribution contribute to the swift airborne allergens capturing within its coverage. As a premium model, Airmega 300 also comes with tons of supportive features like timer, Auto mode, Sleep mode. All S variant gets additional Wi-Fi support for remote access.Like IQAir, Airmega 300 is an excellent, reliable air purifier but it will cost you a bomb in long-run. You should also consider the bulkiness and the rather expensive replacement filter set. As Airmega is also part of Coway brand, you could always opt for the cheaper but equally popular model Coway AP-1512HH.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying coverage despite being the least expensive model.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both sides while protecting the HEPA filter and Carbon filter.
- Excellent allergens and smoke filtration via its Green True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter.
- Auto mode that is sensitive to set the right speed based on surrounding air quality.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter indicator that is based on default runtime.
- Built-in timer without having to rely on the app.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- Acceptable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires annual change.
- 5 years official warranty.
- Still expensive despite being the cheapest model in the group.
- After online discounted price, you only need to top up a little bit more for the Wi-Fi version (300S).
- Lacks auto sleep mode and real-time filter replacement indicator found in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer as an additional filtration option.
A highly endorsed air purifier by Wirecutter and fans all over the world, Coway AP-1512HH might be a dark horse given its long-existing timeline in the market, it still has plenty of say in our best air purifier for Asthma and allergies list. First off, it passed with flying colors for its prerequisite trinity filtration (pre-filter, HEPA filter, and Carbon filter). Secondly, the air purifier decent airflow delivery rate and coverage provide swift allergens and odors removal within its proximity. Last and perhaps more significantly, the pricing simply work as it’s accessible to everyone. In short, if you need a solid, dependable yet reasonably price and maintainable air purifier, Coway AP-1512HH is your call.Non-allergies related issues, Coway AP-1512HH is been in the market for a while so naturally, it does not have the most modern, techy design. There are also few complaints about the after-service support although things probably changed due to the recent branding tied back with Airmega.
- Well-priced for a 4-stage filtration air purifier.
- Very low annual filter replacement cost as well.
- Wide purifying coverage catered for large room size.
- Uses True HEPA filter which has a better filtration efficiency to compliment the deodorization and pre-filter.
- The availability of practical Auto mode and timer features.
- Energy Saving Eco mode that will stop fan from spinning when no pollutants is detected for 30 minutes.
- 2 Separate HEPA and Odor filter replacement indicator.
- Particle sensors occasionally fail to detect nearby pollutants which directly affects the usability of Auto mode.
- Not known to have the best customer service support.
No surprise here. Honeywell HPA300 is our bang for the buck air purifier for asthma and allergies despite not having the most outstanding airflow performance or filtration level. What makes it great is the cost per performance against common allergens, where a brand-new model is priced few times less than other large room size category air purifiers. The combined Carbon Pre-filter would have no issue removing large particles and odors while at the same time, freeing up space for the True HEPA filter to capture asthma linked allergens and irritants. Top it off is Honeywell HPA300 300+ cfm CADR and wide 465 sq. ft. purifying coverage, along with the practical auto-off timer and exceptional 5 years warranty.Nitpicking on its downside, Honeywell HPA300 could do well with an air quality sensors and digital display for better usability. However, given the brand reputation and the price you paid, we could be asking too much from this air purifier.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
Other than airborne allergens, things like food, alcohol, scented candles to the uncommon factor such as stress and laughter could also trigger an asthma attack. While there is no air purifier in the world can "filter" out laughter, Austin Air Allergy Machine will do a damn fine job handling on the allergens part. Out of the many variants of Austin Air purifier, we pick the low-maintenance Allergy Machine simply because it's very effective against airborne irritants that are not too kind to asthmatic person. Combining the dual pre-filter, 60 sq.ft. HEPA filter and Activated Military Carbon Cloth (HEGA) filter, no allergens in any type of form would be able to smack pass the 4-stage filtration.There is 2 version of Allergy Machine to choose from. You could either go with the standard version which is what we are reviewing, or the smaller, cheaper Jr model with only airflow delivery rate and purifying coverage to compromise. Both versions lack the bells and whistle of the next asthma air purifier in the list that could be very handy in allergy season.
- Activated military grade carbon HEGA filter that is great for people that are sensitive to allergens.
- Consistent airflow with wide purifying coverage.
- Comprehensive filtration thanks to the trio pre-filter and reliable 60 sq. ft. certified HEPA filter.
- No off-gassing as the exterior is made entirely from powdered coated steel.
- Long-life (up to 5 years), low maintenance cost filter.
- 5 years warranty.
- Clearly audible noise level that is not great for night use.
- Lighter but overall still bulky that requires casters support.
- Hassle filter change from bottom rather than pop out cover.
- Empty on features. Lacks auto/ sleep mode, air quality sensors, digital screen indicator and timer.
The alternate, non-WiFi version to Winix HR1000, Winix HR950 is consider one of the best allergens remover thanks to the comprehensive 5-stage filtration. Airborne allergens offer travel in large particles such as dust, skin flakes and pet hair. The preliminary Pre-filter plays a vital role in removing large particles so later stage HEPA filter would have a better efficiency rate in removing allergens that bypass the pre-filter. Winix HR950 also comes with Anti-microbial coating on top of the HEPA filter that inhibits bacteria growth on the filters. There is also the equally important CD carbon filter and PlasmaWave that will eliminate any leftover smoke/ odor particles. Adding AQ indicator, smart sensors, Auto mode, timer, and godsend child-lock features in its spec, Winix HR950 might perhaps be one of the best air purifier for asthma and allergies that is not overly priced.There must be a few downsides, none so than the pricey annual filter replacement cost even though it's not costliest model in the list. For a way cheaper allergen fighter air purifier alternative, we highly recommend Winix 5500-2.
- 5-stage filtration with PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Effective True HEPA filter coated with Anti-microbial protection.
- Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter that will remove most indoor smoke and odors.
- High CADR output supported with 5 speed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Sensitive dual sensors (Particle, VOC) with color based air quality indicator.
- Standard Child lock feature that prevents children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting (1, 4, 8 hours).
- 2 years warranty.
- Online pricing is rather close to Winix HR1000 that offers additional WiFi support (remote access).
- Filter replacement is on the high side and has to be done on a yearly basis.
- In sleep mode, the indicator light does not dim down enough to prevent a slight glare disturbance.
- A remote control would be nice as it is available in some of the lower end models.
Another regular sitter in the list, if you are impressed by Winix 5-stage filtration, Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-700A will blow your mind with its comprehensive 6-stage filtration squeezed it in a frame size body. The first stage pre-filter stops large particles mainly airborne dust, hair filled with allergens from floating back out. without the pesky large particles, inflow asthma-triggering allergens will now have to go through a long filtration journey consist of medium filter, HEPA filter, customized filter (any will do) and negative ion generator. Finally, any uncaptured smoke and odors will be taken care by the Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter. With more clean air on every breath you take, Rabbit Air is the perfect example on how to design a beautiful air purifier that still works wonders for asthmatic person.The downside for such as slim and aesthetically outstanding air purifier is of course the cost. Everything from the air purifier base price, filter add-on, and even design panel would cost you top dollar. If you are willing to part with 2 less filtrations, we highly recommend the cheaper Rabbit Air BioGS that is also an effective asthma air purifier in tackling airborne pollutants.
- Comprehensive 6-stage filtration with all-round air inlet.
- Cheap annual filter replacement cost.
- Beautiful, wall-mountable square design with mood light color bar.
- Many customized front panel design to choose from (optional purchase).
- Effective trio front line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- Customizable filter, AC carbon filter and Ionizer to top if off the air purifier filtration depth.
- 5 fanspeed with strong airflow performance and purifying coverage.
- Trio sensors (Particle/ Odor/ Light) thus the existence of Air quality indicator and Auto mode.
- Sensitive and unobtrusive Sleep mode that will still adjust the fan speed based on surrounding air quality.
- Five-year warranty with free return if not satisfied.
- All the bells and whistle translate to a very expensive price tag.
- Airflow purifying coverage and CADR is not on par with the price you paid.
- Heavy for a wall-mountable air purifier (more than 19 lb).
🏆 Honorable mention
- Alen BreatheSmart series air purifiers with its comprehensive purifying coverage and 4 customizable filters.
- The reliable and often underrated Airfree air purifiers.
📃 Previous holder
- GermGuardian AC9200WCA
- Blueair 405
- Oransi Max
Best Air Purifier for Asthma and Allergies Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|IQAir HealthPro Plus||4-stage||1098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||9.6|
|Airmega 300||4-stage||1256 sq. ft. (117 m2)||9|
|Coway AP-1512HH Mighty||4-stage||326 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.6|
|Honeywell HPA300||3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||8.5|
|Austin Air Allergy Machine||4-stage||1500 sq. ft. (139 m2)||8.1|
|Winix HR950||5-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||8.7|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-700A||6-stage||700 sq. ft. (65 m2)||9.1|