Asthmatic person or hyper-sensitive to almost any allergens? While there are lot of ways to tackle this issue, the trustworthy air purifier method is what we will be focusing. In this best list we will be looking at what causes asthma, allergens that is associate with it and who is this for. We hand-picked our top choices based on their efficiency against allergens via 3 key factors: Pre-filter, HEPA filter and Carbon filter. At end of the day you should have a clear idea on which air purifier would be best to partner beside you in the ever-lasting combat against allergens.
What causes asthma?
Asthma is a long-term chronic lung disease that inflames and narrows the breathing airways. Regardless of how mild or severe it is, an untreated asthma can kill within minutes to hours if left untreated. According to study, one third of children that died of asthma had only mild disease. Symptom of asthma include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and chest pain/ tightness. Airborne allergens such as pollen, mold, dust mites, chemicals, smokes or even harmless odors could trigger an asthma attack. While there is no cure for asthma, it is treatable and controllable where people with asthma can still live a normal, active lives.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?First would be asthmatic person regardless of gender, age group or how severe the asthma condition is. People with skin allergies that is very sensitive to pollen. People that is hyper-sensitive to allergens, odors and chemicals would benefit from the air purifier as well. Newborn, infant, children, elderly people or recovering patient that has weaker immune system and finally, anyone that wants clean air free from airborne contaminants.
The first one needs no introduction, IQAir air purifier pretty much features in every of our best list sums up how powerful this air purifier is. Rated number 1 room air purifier for allergies & asthma, whether it is a bacteria related microorganism or asthma triggering allergies, IQAir HealthPro Plus strong airflow output together with the excellent PreMax filter, as small as 0.003 microns size HyperHEPA filter, and V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter with Pelletized chemisorption. Combining all that, IQAir HealthPro Plus will ensure no airborne allergens would be able to bypass the filter. Great for whole family or person that is sensitive to allergens as the wide purifying applicable area and 320 degree airflow distribution is perfect for it to be placed in living hall.The trade-off for such a powerful unit is of course the premium price tag that would not fit everyone budget. The bulkiness with all the extra airflow juice means IQAir HealthPro Plus might not be the best choice bedroom either. If pricing is also one of your key concern, consider the budget-friendly Honeywell HPA300.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Another premium category air purifier to go for, Blueair 405 or in fact all Blueair models is known for many good things but its multi-stage filtration against micron size allergens is what we will be focusing on. As some of asthma triggering allergens are known to be trickle to take down due to its size, Blueair 405 would eradicate all thanks to the front ionizer that does the dirty work right before the HEPA Particle/ SmokeStop filter handle the rest. The high CADR and dynamic airflow distribution that will also swiftly capture airborne allergens within its coverage. As a premium model, Blueair 405 also comes with tons of supportive features including Wi-Fi support which you could learn more via the specification button below.As with IQair, Blueair 405 is expensive, bulky and the filters is very costly to replace. If the Blueair brand is a must for you, you could always opt for the non Wi-Fi version Blueair 403 or smaller model such as Blueair 205 to save up come cost.
- Wide purifying coverage despite the smaller overall body.
- Unique HEPASilent Technology setup that electrostatically charge particles first so it will adhere more to the filter.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Consistent airflow with strong dust, pollen and smoke CADR.
- Durable galvanized steel body that does not leak or release chemicals.
- Wi-Fi works well with all smartphones supported by the intuitive Blueair Friend app or link it with Amazon Alexa.
- 5 years manufacture warranty.
- Cheaper than 605 but still relatively expensive.
- High annual filter replacement cost.
- No pre-filter to protects other filters from large particles.
- No air quality monitoring and Auto mode by default (Requires additional Blueair Aware monitor purchase).
- Bulky even though its not the biggest unit in its classic range.
No surprise Honeywell HPA300 is our bang for the buck asthma air purifier despite not having the most outstanding airflow performance or filtration level. What makes it great is the cost per performance against common allergens where a brand-new HPA300 could cost a few times less than similar large category air purifiers. The combined Carbon Pre-filter would have no issue removing large particles and odors while freeing up space for the True HEPA filter to capture asthma linked allergens and other related irritants. Top it off Honeywell HPA300 also comes with added features including a 2, 4, 8 hours auto-off timer, 300+ cfm CADR, wide 465 sq. ft. purifying coverage and exceptional 5 years warranty.Nitpicking on its downside, Honeywell HPA300 could do well with an air quality sensors and digital display for better usability however given the brand reputation and price you paid, we could be asking too much.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
Other than allergens, many things could also trigger Asthma. Things like food, alcohol, scented candles to the weird one such as stress and laughter. While Austin Air Allergy Machine would only handle on the allergens part, it will do a damn fine job. Out of the many variants of Austin Air purifier, we pick the low-maintenance Allergy Machine because it's great against common allergens such as dust mites, pet dander, mold and pollen that are not too kind to asthmatic person. Combining the dual pre-filter, 60 sq.ft. HEPA filter and Activated Military Carbon Cloth (HEGA) filter, no allergens in any type of forms would be able to smack pass the 4-stage filtration.There are 2 version of Allergy Machine to choose form. You could either go with the standard version which is what are reviewing or the smaller Jr model with only airflow delivery rate and purifying coverage to compromise. Both version lacks the bells and whistle of the next item in the list that could be very handy in certain situation.
- Activated military grade carbon HEGA filter that is great for people that are sensitive to allergens.
- Consistent airflow with wide purifying coverage.
- Comprehensive filtration thanks to the trio pre-filter and reliable 60 sq. ft. certified HEPA filter.
- No off-gassing as the exterior is made entirely from powdered coated steel.
- Long-life (up to 5 years), low maintenance cost filter.
- 5 years warranty.
- Clearly audible noise level that is not great for night use.
- Lighter but overall still bulky that requires casters support.
- Hassle filter change from bottom rather than pop out cover.
- Empty on features. Lacks auto/ sleep mode, air quality sensors, digital screen indicator and timer.
The alternate, non-WiFi version to Winix HR1000, Winix HR950 is consider one of the best allergens remover thanks to the comprehensive 5-stage filtration. Airborne allergens offer travel in large particles such as dust, skin flakes and pet hair. The preliminary Pre-filter plays a vital role in trapping out large particles while filtering out initial allergens so later stage HEPA filter would have a better efficiency rate. Winix HR950 not only does that, it also comes with Anti-microbial coating on the HEPA filter that inhibit bacteria such as mold, pollen from growing on to the filters. Beside the equally important CD carbon filter and PlasmaWave, Winix HR950 also comes with air quality indicator, particles + VOC sensors, Auto mode, timer and godsend child-lock feature.Nitpicking on WInix HR950 cons, the main one would probably be the pricey annual filter replacement cost although it's still not costliest in the list. For a way cheaper asthma allergen fighter alternative coming from Winix, we highly recommend Winix 5500-2.
- 5-stage filtration with PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Permanent washable pre-filter.
- Effective True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating.
- Strong Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter.
- Punchy airflow with 5 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Dual sensors (Particle, VOC) with air quality indicator.
- Child lock feature that prevent children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting (1, 4, 8 hours).
- 2 years warranty.
- Online pricing is rather close to Winix HR1000 that offers additional WiFi support.
- Filter replacement is expensive and have to done on a yearly basis.
- In sleep mode the indicator light does not dim down enough to prevent a slight glare disturbance.
- Lacks remote control the comes with some of the lower end model.
If you are impressed by Winix 5-stage filtration, Rabbit Air MinusA2 manage even to top it up with a 6-stage filtration that squeeze it all in a frame size body. The first stage pre-filter would stop large particles mainly airborne dust from floating back out, HEPA filter would trap micron-size bacteria and allergens such as fungi, mold, pollen. With more clean air on every breathe you take, Rabbit Air is the perfect example on how to design a beautiful air purifier that still works wonder for asthmatic person.The downside for such as slim and aesthetically outstanding air purifier is of course the cost of ownership. Everything from the air purifier base price, filter replacement cost and even design panel would cost you. If you are willing to part with 2-stage filtration less we highly recommend the cheaper Rabbit Air Biogs that is also as effective as MinusA2 in tackling allergens.
- 6-stage filtration with side and bottom air inlet.
- Beautiful, wall-mountable square design with 4 selectable mood light color bar.
- Many customized front panel design to choose from (optional purchase).
- Effective trio front line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- Customizable filter, AC carbon filter and Ionizer to top if off the air purifier filtration depth.
- 5 fanspeed with strong airflow performance and purifying coverage.
- Trio sensors (Particle/ Odor/ Light) thus the existence of Air quality indicator and Auto mode.
- Sensitive and unobtrusive light mode that adjust the air purifier speed accurately based on surrounding light source.
- Five-year warranty with free return if not satisfied.
- All the bells and whistle translate to a very expensive price tag.
- Airflow purifying coverage and CADR is not on par with the price you paid.
- Heavy for a wall-mountable air purifier (more than 19 lb).