6 Best Air Purifier for Bird Dander in 2023
Who is this for?Everyone (or birds) could do with an air purifier. However, this post is mainly for those with asthma or hyper-allergic to bird dander. For people with compromised respiratory systems like COPD, a HEPA air purifier is a must. Newborns, children, the elderly, and pregnant women with developing immune systems would greatly benefit from having an air cleaner by their side.
2023 Best Air Purifier for Birds
|BEST BUDGET||BEST OVERALL||BEST PERFORM-ANCEPERFORMANCE|
|Hamilton Beach 04384 TrueAir Compact Pet Air Purifier||LEVOIT Core P350 Air Purifier||GermGuardian AC5250PT Air Purifier|
|Recommended Room Size|
|140 sq. ft. (13 m2)||219 sq. ft. (20 m2)||180 sq. ft. (17 m2)|
|Dust 140 cfm (238 m3/h)|
Pollen 145 cfm (246 m3/h)
Smoke 141 cfm (240 m3/h)
|Dust 123 cfm (209 m3/h)|
Pollen 128 cfm (217 m3/h)
Smoke 116 cfm (197 m3/h)
|3.5 ⭐ out of 5||4.3 ⭐ out of 5||4.1 ⭐ out of 5|
How Do We Measure?
Air cleaners come in all shapes and forms; some models are more suited for birds, while others are simply overkilled. To help you determine the right model, here is a list of features you can go through before purchasing a bird dander air purifier.
- Pre-filter - Little do we know that birds shed too, releasing particles called feather dust to keep their feathers shining. A good pre-filter will capture all the dust particles to protect the bird and the keeper from inhaling them. While our preference is still a permanent, reusable filter, if a 2-in-1 carbon pre-filter would be able to do the job, so be it.
- HEPA filter - Bird dander could also trigger an asthma attack if not correctly handled. A HEPA filter can remove bird dander, germs, parasites, and other tiny microbes. Whether it is a HEPA-type or True HEPA filter, it must be able to filter all the allergens coming from a bird.
- Activated carbon filter - Indoor pollutants like asbestos, lead, radon, and smoke are detrimental to all living organisms. Even everyday household items like perfume, pesticides, and air fresheners can be deadly to a bird. A carbon filter will remove all the toxic gases plus foul odors from birds dropping. A must-have filter for a bird air purifier.
- Coverage/ Room size - It is almost impossible to place the air purifier close to the birdcage due to its high position. As such, the device must have good coverage at 2 air changes per hour. Measure the room size where the bird cage is placed and choose a model that can cater to that. The higher the coverage, the better the air purifier.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) - A measurement by AHAM determines the volume of clean air that can be removed by an air purifier. The higher the CADR, the higher the airflow delivery rate.
- Pricing and maintenance - Obviously, the higher price you pay, the likelihood you will be getting a better-performance air purifier. However, pick a model that you are comfortable owning and maintaining for many years down the road.
- Additional filtration - From UV-light, anti-microbial, to an ionizer, any extra filtration to remove airborne pollutants would be welcome. Just make sure it is NOT related to an ozone generator.
- Practical features - From auto mode, sleep mode, timer, nightlight, remote control, and Wi-Fi enabled, only choose what you need.
- Noise level - While not a big deal, as most pet dander air purifiers are not loud, the sweet spot is under 50 decibels for daily operation.
- Warranty - Never settle for an air purifier that does not come with a warranty and does not have a service center and customer support locally.
- Less than 60 dollars after a discount.
- The replacement carbon sheet is only 10 dollars annually.
- Permanent pre-filter that traps feathered dust.
- Reusable HEPA-grade filter.
- Virtually silent operation.
- Poor airflow delivery rate. For close-range use.
- Limited filtration. Not the best against microscopic particles.
- Lack of any functionality or autonomous mode.
The most affordable air purifier for pet dander on this list. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet is perfect for those that need an air purifier placed next to the bird cage, running all day without fail. It is inexpensive and compact yet fitted with the 3-stage filtration needed in this scenario. Coming in at a small at 8.1 x 16.4 x 10.8 inches in size and a lightweight 6.3 pounds. The versatile air care setup allows vertical and horizontal operation without impacting airflow distribution. Removing the filter for cleaning is an effortless task that can be done by popping up the front panel. No complicated controls here, as you have a single dial knob control that controls the entire operation of the air purifier. Overall, the design and build quality reflect its price point, but that does not mean it is poorly made. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet will work endlessly to keep your air clean from bird dander.
Designed for small room sizes, Hamilton Beach TrueAir Pet air purifier can cover up to 140 square feet of space. While it is not super impressive on paper, it will run well when placed close to the pollution sources, which in this case, next to the aviary. Being 100% mechanical filtration, it freshens the air without producing harmful byproducts. If you need to improve the air quality in a larger room, consider getting multiple units or choose a bigger HEPA air purifier.
Here is the key specification of Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet:
- Filtration Type - 3-stage
- Filtration - Pre-filter, HEPA-grade filter, Carbon zeolite filters
- Coverage Area - 140 sq. ft.
- Noise Level - Silent
- Warranty - 1 year
Inside the core of the Hamilton Beach TrueAir bird air purifier, you will find a pre-filter that traps pet hair, dust, and other visible, large particles. It is reusable and serves as extra protection for the HEPA filter from getting damaged. Next, the HEPA-grade filter removes 99% of PM2.5 impurities in the air, including bird dander, dust mites, pollen, mold, and mildew spores. Again, it is washable and reusable, where you can remove the trapped particles to free up the filter space. Lastly, the highly recommended carbon zeolite filter add-ons help absorb stinky odors from the feathered friend. A filter that is always underappreciated.
With the subdued airflow, Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet runs silently, thanks to its ultra-quiet motor fan. Running at WhisperClean or QuickClean mode will not overlap the bird's chirping sound. Tally with the noise output, the power consumption is so low that you will not notice any difference in your monthly utility bill. You can safely leave Hamilton Beach TrueAir running 24x7 in the background.
Let's be realistic here. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet is a budget air purifier, so the filtration quality has to be compromised. Starting with the limited purifying coverage, it is not a one-size-fits-all air purifier. The inferior HEPA-type filtration is a contentious choice over a True HEPA filter. Supporting features like auto mode, sleep mode, timer, or AQI are also non-existence. That being said, you are paying less than $100 for a mechanical HEPA air purifier will a proven track record. The cost-saving operation with reusable filters makes it very enticing for a bird keeper that needs something simple and trouble-free.
In short: A simple, maintainable, and functional air purifier that can be yours for around $70. Runs silently and flawlessly beside a bird cage. Consider this if you only want to cover a small purifying radius.
±79.00 $$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±10)
- Inexpensive pet air purifier(+-129).
- Outstanding filtration against bird dander.
- The trinity filter set: pre-filter, H13, and carbon filter.
- Whisper-quiet operation.
- Energy-efficient. Comes with sleep mode.
- Mid-range performer.
- Slightly high filter replacement cost.
Our go-to model for pet air cleaners that strike a balance between performance and value. Levoit Core P350 Pet Care True HEPA air purifier is the perfect choice for those having issues controlling bird dander. At a compact 8.7 inches diameter, 14.2 inches in height, and 7.5 pounds in weight, the 360 cylinder body of Levoit Core P350 makes it easy to find a spot for the air device. For better coverage, you can place it high off the ground and close to the birdcage. Despite the budget-friendly price tag, there is no cutting cost measure found, especially with the build quality. It passes the CA PROP 65 requirement, ETL listed, FCC certified, and comes with an official 1-year manufacturer warranty (extendable) with lifetime California-based customer service support.
Levoit Core P350 comes with standard features that you would expect no less from the brand. The touch panel lets you make quick adjustments to the 3 fan speeds, pet-proof lock and set the 4 preset timers to shut down the air purifier after an interval time. Sleep mode is a surprising inclusion that can be activated during night use. Last but not least, the filter check button resets the filter indicator light.
Like Levoit's famous Core 300 cousin, Levoit Core P350 has a decent airflow delivery rate for small to medium room sizes. At 2 ACH or every 30 minutes of circulation, it can cover up to 547 square footage. For better bird dander retention, we recommend using it in a smaller room, no more than 273 square footage at 4 ACH. CADR reflects well with the airflow at an average of 140 cfm for dust, pollen, and smoke. The 360-degree air inlet can pull in airborne contaminants at all angles before it has a chance to spread and settle down in your living room, kitchen, and bedroom.
Let's talk about the specification:
- Filtration Type - 3-stage
- Filtration - Woven fabric pre-filter, H13 HEPA filter, activated carbon filter
- Coverage Area - 273 sq. ft.
- Noise Level - 24–50 dB
- Warranty - 1 year
Every filter will part a major part, as it should be. LEVOIT Core P350 is powered by a 3-stage filtration with Vortexair Technology that guarantees consistent, clean air within its vicinity. The fine non-woven fabric pre-filter traps bird dust, hair, lint, fiber, and pet dander while protecting the HEPA filter. The top-tier H13 filter captures 99.97% of microscopic particles in the air as small as 0.3 microns, including germ and bacteria released from your avian. The AirReComposition Formula activated carbon filter absorbs stinky smell derived from dropping and germs. Being a 100% mechanical filtration, it will not produce harmful byproducts like ozone. Absolutely safe for bird use.
Another forte of LEVOIT Core P350 is the discreet QuietKEAP technology. No LED glaring or loud noise will disrupt your bird's sleep; The motor fan only outputs a low noise level of 24 dB, similar to a sound of a whisper. Powered consumption is wonderful too, as it is Energy Star certified. LEVOIT Core P350 45 wattages will only cost you about $0.1 a day or under $40 in your annual electric bill. Suitable for all-day operation, as it is intended.
As we alluded to earlier, LEVOIT Core P350 is one of the most affordable air purifiers for birds at $129 (before any discount). While there is a huge price gap between Hamilton Beach Pet, you're getting better equipment, including an imported H13 HEPA filter and ARC carbon filter. On the flip side, the Pet filter set can be expensive to replace, as you will have to change it every 6 months. The mid-range purifying coverage is also not for those that need a bigger unit. If you are cool with its insignificant drawbacks, LEVOIT Core P350 would be a fantastic addition to your home.
In short: Inexpensive, compact, silent, and most importantly, work in curbing the spread of airborne bird dust. Every bird keeper should have one.
±119.99 $$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±54-72)
- Affordable 5-stage HEPA filtration with UV light.
- True HEPA filter with Pet Pure antimicrobial that inhibits the growth of microorganisms.
- Proven UV-C light that would eliminate deadly bacteria and viruses.
- Carbon filter that will protect the birds from indoor chemical fumes.
- Small purifying coverage.
- Slow airflow delivery rate.
- The slightly over-bright indicator light can be annoying.
- Lacks AQ indicator and Auto mode.
Many people don't realize that the tiny bird's dander can cause many allergic reactions. To tackle that, GermGuardian AC5250PT is perhaps the best UV tower air purifier to do the job. It is well-priced, well-made, slim, and barely occupies any room space with its 6.1 x 27.3 x 9.5 inches dimension and 10.5 pounds weight. Like P350, you can easily find a place to fit it in a room with your pet bird without creating any obstruction. Exterior-wise, you have a bottom base for added stability and a large air inlet surface area for more pollutant capturing. GermGuardian AC5250PT has a few aesthetic touches that we did not expect for a moderate-price air purifier. The chrome finish and blue light strip make it look more premium than it actually is. Build quality is solid, although there are other premium models available elsewhere. It is in for the long haul.
GermGuardian AC5250PT controls are straightforward to operate with clearly labeled buttons. You have a dedicated on/ off power button, 5 selectable fan speeds, 1-8 hour timer, and a UV-C mode that activate/ deactivate the UV function. The only annoying thing is the small Filter Reset button that requires a small object like a pen tip or paper clip to reset it. Thankfully you only have to do it every couple of months. Set it to 2 or 3 speeds and let the GermGuardian AC5250PT air purifier clean the air and focus on your bird instead.
The key specification:
- Filtration Type - 5-stage
- Filtration - Charcoal pre-filter, UV-C Light, Pet Pure Pre treatment, True HEPA
- Coverage Area - 180 sq. ft.
- Noise Level - Vary
- Warranty - 1 year
Let's start with the good part, GermGuardian AC5250PT 5-stage filtration is great at removing any airborne irritants released from your bird. The charcoal pre-filter removes bird dust, hair, dirt and absorbs dropping odors. It will also protect the HEPA filter from getting clogged by large particulates. Next, the HEPA filter captures 99.97% of smaller biological pollutants, including tiny bird dander, mold, and harmful germs. The HEPA filter is also treated with a Pet Pure antimicrobial coating that stops the growth of bacteria. Best of all, GermGuardian AC5250PT comes with a UV light that sterilizes mold, germs, bacteria, and viruses that could cause an infection to you and your pet bird. Don't worry about UV exposure, as it is safely hidden inside the air purifier, free from leakage.
Here's where GermGuardian AC5250PT falls a bit short. The inexpensive price tag with 5-stage filtration means airflow output has to take a hit. It can cover a limited 180 sq. ft. purifying coverage. Perfectly usable for a small room with birdcages, but anything bigger than that requires multiple air purifiers. CADR matches the airflow output; we recommend leaving it on at max speed at all times unless you can't stand the fan noise overlapping your bird's sweet chirping sound. The lack of autonomous mode is also a tad annoying, but it is not the end of the world for a bird air purifier.
In short: Our favorite tower air purifier for an endless supply of clean, healthier air. Breathe and sense the differences in air quality without the nasal congestion, itchiness, and cough hampering your time with your bird.
±229.99 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±53-80)
A slightly more upscale model to tackle the bird dander issue. Alen BreatheSmart 45i True HEPA air purifier is the smaller version of 75i but still relatively big in a bird room. Coming in at a 15 x 25 x 8.5 inches size and a relatively heavy 15 pounds weight, many people will place it near the doorway rather than right next to a birdcage to avoid obstruction. You have air inlets by the sides/ bottom and a large air outlet at the usual top spot. A grabbing handle is located at the back as opposed to casters. Build quality is outstanding and complimented by Alen's lifetime warranty which covers all manufacturing parts except the filter.
Alen BreatheSmart 45i is a hassle-free air purifier that requires very little attention. While you have the option to control the 4 fan speeds (Low, Medium, High, and Turbo), most bird keepers will rely on the auto mode and let the air purifier manage the fan speed based on surrounding air quality. The ionizer is available here that can be turned off if you are not comfortable using it near your birds. Other standard functions include a 2, 4, 12 hours timer, child lock, AQI, and real-time filter replacement indicator. The "i" exclusive feature for Alen BreatheSmart 45i is WiFi-enabled support. Download the latest Alen app on your phone and manage your air purifier at a comfortable distance.
- Filtration Type - 3-stage
- Filtration - Pre-filter, HEPA-grade filter, Carbon zeolite filters
- Coverage Area - 140 sq. ft.
- Noise Level - Silent
- Warranty - 1 year
Covers more than just bird dander. Alen BreatheSmart 45i air purifier 215 cfm airflow delivery rate is ideal for large room size up to 800 square footage every 30 minutes or 2 ACH. It swiftly delivers clean air within 30 minutes of runtime. Those with hypersensitivity towards dander will notice the alleviation in cough, sinus, itchiness, or inflammation symptoms. You can cover multiple locations by placing it in the middle example, the hallway between the bird's room, bedroom, and living room.
Alen BreatheSmart 45i clean air delivery rate (CADR) is equally as impressive at 245 cfm for dust, pollen, and smoke. It is tested by AHAM and independent agencies to ensure the air purifier is as effective in dealing with airborne allergens as touted.
The bigger size gives Alen BreatheSmart 45i the edge in filtration efficiency. It comes with a standard H13 True HEPA Pure filter that captures 99.99% of airborne allergens down to 0.1 microns, including mold, bird dander, germs, bacteria, and viruses that can be fatal to your bird. Supporting the medical-grade filter is a pre-filter focusing on large particles and a proprietary antibacterial treatment that inhibits microorganisms' growth. The ionizer diffuses negative ions that merge and pull down pollutants for the HEPA filter to capture. It is safe for human, and bird use as the ozone byproducts are under 0.001 PPM (parts per million). It will not exceed EPA's health 0.08 PPM ozone inhalation guideline. Again, it is optional; you can switch it off while leaving the mechanical filtration runs. For those needing extra smoke and odor filtration so the whole home would not smell, you can upgrade to HEPA-fresh, HEPA-OdorCell, or Heavy Smoke filter. HEPA-OdorCell would be our pick for home bird keepers, as other filtration can be a little overkill.
Noise disruption is non-existent with Alen BreatheSmart 45i auto mode. It will mostly run at a low 23 dBA noise unless an increase in airborne bird dust is detected via its built-in sensor. Power consumption is decent but not the lowest on the list. It will not burden your utility bill as long as it is kept under auto mode.
Let's address the elephant in the room. Alen BreatheSmart 45i air purifier is close to $500 before any discount. It is worth any penny you pay for with its filtration and quality, but if your concern is only bird dander, other cheaper air purifiers are available. Either downgrade to Alen Flex, Fit50, or go with the above options. Filter replacement cost is also on the higher side, from $69-119 annually. You will have to replace them all at one go under the bundled set. All in all, Alen BreatheSmart 45i is more than just a bird air purifier. Use it as a home air cleaner for better indoor air quality.
In short: Big, Powerful, energy-efficient, and runs silently at most speeds. Alen BreatheSmart 45i will handle all types of airborne pollutants with ease.
±468.00 $$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±39-118)
- Advanced 6-stage filtration is ideal for large room size.
- Cheap filter replacement cost despite many filters.
- Mountable with a mood-light color bar.
- Separate Pre-filter, Medium, and HEPA filter.
- 4 Customizable filter options for added filtration.
- AC filter plus Negative Ion Generator.
- Auto, Pollen, and light-sensitive Sleep mode.
- Expensive before including any filter upgrade.
If budget permits, Rabbit MinusA2 SPA-780A might be the best air purifier for bird dander you ever need. It is excellent for removing airborne allergens known to trigger allergies and odors.
The only mountable air purifier on this list, Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A is not particularly small at 21.4 x 20 x 7 inches in dimension. The good thing is it will not take up any floor space as most people will hang it by the wall. Just be wary of the 19.4 lb weight; that can be tricky when you need to remove it for a filter change. We are not a big fan of the customizable front panel, as the attention should be on the birds. If you are willing to spend for the extra panel, by all means go ahead. Supporting the exterior is the side's air intake, back holder, bracket holder, and aesthetic enhancement spectrum color mood light bar. If you are willing it on all-day, turn the light off as it would distract the bird from sleep.
Moving to usability. Rabbit MinusA2 air purifier is mainly operated via remote control as the main controls are located high on the wall. You can turn on/ off the machine, control the 5 fan speeds (silent/ low/ medium/ high/ turbo), enables auto/ pollen mode, negative ion generator, and enable/ disable AQI, mood light, and indicator lights (recommended). You can also reset the filter indicator by holding the mode button for 3 seconds after changing the filter.
On the whole, build quality is another level with a mixture of plastic and metal materials. Rabbit Air MinusA2 has a 5 years warranty covering all manufacturing defects except filters. You will be happy to know that the customer service team is handled locally and professionally. No long waiting hours or frustrating unresolved call.
As the name implies, Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A is the higher variant of SPA-700A that covers a wide 815 square footage of room space at 2 air changes per hour or every 30 minutes. For asthmatic persons that need absolute clean air to breathe in, expect a lower 408 sq. ft. of purifying at 4 air changes per hour or every 15 minutes. Besides using it near the birdcage, MinusA2 would also work well in the bedroom, smoking room, basement, garage, kitchen, playroom, or anywhere the bird resides. Tally with the 218 cfm airflow output, clean air delivery rate outputs respectable numbers for everyday use. The Dust CADR is at 193 cfm, Pollen CADR at 200 cfm, and smoke CADR at the lowest 180 cfm. Don't worry too much about all the figures here. Just set Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A in auto mode and let the air purifier decide what is the best speed to handle airborne pollutants.
- Filtration Type - 6-stage
- Filtration - Pre-filter, Medium filter, True HEPA filter, Carbon filter, Customized filter, Negative ion generator
- Coverage Area - 815 sq. ft.
- Noise Level - 25.6-51.3 dBA
- Warranty - 5 years
The highlight of the bird air purifier. Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A is powered by the 6-stage filtration that captures more than just bird dust. Starting with the pre-filter that captures large particles visible to the eyes. The filter is washable and reusable, so don't throw it away when it is dirty. The medium filter traps smaller particles that manage to bypass the pre-filter. It is almost here to filter the workload of the HEPA filter. The undisturbed BioGS HEPA filter captures 99.97% of allergens as small as 0.3 microns, including mold, bacteria, and viruses. On smelly odors from the bird, you have the activated carbon filter ready to absorb any incoming smoke and smell from the bird. We are not done yet, choose 1 of the 4 customizable filters designed specifically to tackle hard-to-remove airborne pollutants. Filterless tech wise, the negative ion generator discharge ions to attract and combine pollutants in the air. The joined contaminants will drop from the increased weight for the filter to capture.
Another surprise element of Rabbit Air MinusA2 air purifier is the silent operation at low speed. It is made possible thanks to the new BLDC with coiled copper wires. Combined with auto sleep mode, Rabbit Air MinusA2 will only run at a higher speed when it detects an increase of bird dander in the air. Otherwise, it will remain at a low speed.
As for power consumption, Energy Star certified Rabbit Air MinusA2 only uses little energy, no more than 61 watts. Expect energy costs of around $0.15 a day or $4.5 monthly in auto mode. Always leave MinusA2 on to prevent airborne particles and bird dust from building up.
Here's where Rabbit Air MinusA2 might not be everyone. With an estimated $600 price tag before any discount, it is beyond the reach of most people. We have not even included additional costs involving the customizable panel and add-on filter. Levoit or GermGuardian might be the better fit if you are budget-conscious. However, if you value filtration performance more or are stuck in an unhealthy indoor air environment, the 6-stage Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A is the long-term investment you and your pet birds deserve.
In short: A pricey but beautiful 6-stage air purifier that can handle more than just bird dander. A must-have for allergy sufferers and a worthy investment for you and your feathery friend.
±599.95 $$$$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±43-85)
- Very well-priced for a 4-stage bird air purifier with PlasmaWave technology.
- Strong airflow delivery rate with good CADR.
- Dedicated True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter.
- Remove bird dander up to 360 square feet of space.
- Abundant of features: Auto/ sleep mode, timer, remote control, and AQ indicator.
- Slightly high annual filter replacement.
Winix 5500-2 PlasmaWave is everyone's go-to air purifier. It has good airflow performance, comprehensive coverage, and awesome filtration at an affordable price. The 4-stage filtration comes with a permanent pre-filter, True HEPA filter, carbon filter, and PlasmaWave. The air purifier will deal with any particulate matters that are dangerous to you or your pet bird.
Whether it is Cockatiels, African Grey Parrots, Budgerigars, or Cockatoos, an air purifier is here to help. Winix 5500-2 is very easy to live with thanks to the autonomous purifying, timer, and air quality indicators. If you want to ensure your pet has the best indoor living environment, Winix 5500-2 will be able to do that.
- Filtration Type - 4-stage
- Filtration - Pre-filter, True HEPA filter, AOC filter, PlasmaWave
- Coverage Area - 360 sq. ft.
- Noise Level - 26.6-60+ dB
- Warranty - 2 years
±249.99 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±80)
To empower your knowledge with air purifier, below are the common types of air cleaners that is available for purchase.
- HEPA air purifier - The most common type of air purifier for bird use consists of a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and/ or an activated carbon filter. You can't go wrong with a filtered pet air purifier.
- Ionizer/ Electrostatic precipitator - Discharge negative ions to attract pollutants in the air with positive ions. The now heavier particles will fall on a surface area like a wall, bed, or floor. The electrostatic precipitator comes with an additional collector plate that gathers the pollutants so they will not be left all over the room. Not effective against bird dander.
- UVGI/ PCO air purifier - Uses UV-C light and/ or titanium dioxide to sterilize biological pollutants, leaving them no chance of multiplying and spreading the viruses. Very effective against germs but not so much on large particles like bird dander.
- Ozone generator - Not recommended for bird and human use. It emits hazardous ozone that can harm living organisms' lungs and respiratory tract. Worse of all, it does not actually clean the air. Do not fall for the marketing gimmick.
What Is Bird Dander? What Causes It?
Bird dander, AKA bird dust, feather dust, parrot dandruff, or wing dust, is a by-product, white powder produced by the feathers closest to the skin. The sheath of a new feather is covered with fine protective keratin that dries off and breaks into powdery form as the new feather grows. The function of the powder is to keep the bird's feathers soft, silky and waterproof. As the feathers break off, bird dander is frequently released during molting periods and preening. A simple flapping of the wings can spread bird dust particles outside the cage and all over the room.
While bird dander may appear like a harmless powder, it is notorious for causing sanitation, allergies, and health issues. As such, every bird keeper should use an air purifier to contained bird dander from spreading and impacting our health.
Are Air Purifiers Good for Birds?
Yes, it is. Like humans, birds do need an air purifier too. An air purifier reduces indoor air pollution and makes the air much safer for birds to breathe. Bird's respiratory systems are very delicate to indoor pollutants. If the bird inhales any of these harmful substances, it can cause fluid to accumulate in its lungs and ultimately die.
Do Air Purifiers Get Rid Of Bird Dust?
Air purifiers are very effective at removing bird dander in the air if equipped with a True HEPA filter and strong motor fan for better airflow circulation. HEPA air purifiers are safe to use around avians, and you can place the device close to a bird cage.
Do All Birds Have Dander? What Bird Species Produce Less Dander?
There are no 100% hypoallergenic birds. However, some birds produce less dander than others and are better suited as pets. If you are hypersensitive to allergens or have asthma, below are the species that produce the highest and lowest bird dander.
High Dander Birds
Low Dander Birds (hypoallergenic)
Can Bird Dander Make You Sick?
Yes, bird dander can make you sick and exacerbate allergies, but it will rarely lead to death. People frequently in contact with birds are at increased risk of respiratory conditions. Diseases include Psittacosis, caused by bacteria (Chylamydia psittaci) found on droppings and respiratory secretions of infected birds. Another common illness is Bird fancier's lung (BFL), AKA bird keepers lung disease. A hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) can be found in dust powder of feathers or bird waste and is triggered by exposure to avian proteins. When inhaled, tiny dander particles will accumulate in your lungs and cause permanent lung scarring. Fortunately, it is curable and preventable, especially at an early stage. The chances of getting infections from a healthy bird are also rare, especially if you regularly bathe and clean the birdcage.
Common Bird Dander Allergy Symptoms
According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA), there are 6 million pet birds in the United States. Due to the low concentration level, most birds will produce dander that will not cause allergic reactions. However, in an enclosed area, the bird dust will only disperse in the room, leading to a huge build-up. Over time, the dander concentration level will be significantly higher and likely trigger family members' allergies. If you are an allergy-prone bird lover, look for the following bird dander allergy allergic reactions.
- Muscle pain/ myalgia
- Watery/ red eyes
- Chill/ Fever
- Sore throat/ dry cough
- Shortness of breath/ bibasilar sounds
- Postnasal drip
- Dyspnea/ distressed
- Weight loss
How to Get Rid Of Bird Dander and Dust?
Most indoor birds will generate a modest amount of dust, and inhaling them can lead to respiratory complications. While an air purifier is undoubtedly the best way of reducing airborne bird dander, there are other much cheaper, equivalent ways you can consider. Some of the steps below are preventive measures that will work better with an air purifier.
- Clean your room regularly with a HEPA vacuum cleaner and a wet rag. That way, there will be less dust in a room that could trigger allergies. Wear a mask if needed.
- Consider upgrading your HVAC system with better filtration or switching to a well-ventilated environment.
- Birdcage requires constant cleaning to get rid of bird dander, droppings, and germs. Wipes all cage surfaces thoroughly and replaces birdcage liners when necessary.
- Try not to place a birdcage in a room with carpets because it is harder to clean and will stain the floor. Instead, choose a room that has tiles or floorboards.
- Choose a hypoallergenic species like Budgerigar, Eclectus, or Canaries that produces low bird dander. Also, avoid having more than 1 pet in a room.
- Use non-toxic, natural dander remover sprays to neutralize airborne allergens.
- Go with leather goods rather than upholstery furniture. Perforated items like the sofa or mat can cause microscopic bird dust and dust mite to build up and is almost impossible to clean.
- Bathe Regularly. Provide bird baths in your cage so birds can wash themselves. Bathing is essential to keep their feathers and skin healthy; it is not vital to all types of birds.
Can You Keep A Bird In Your Bedroom?
Yes, you can keep your parrot bird in the bedroom and spend more time with it. We highly recommend you keep an air purifier on in the same room to curb the spread of bird dander.
Can Pet Birds Cause Asthma?
Yes, it can. According to the study, bird dander and dropping can cause your immune system to overreact, aggravating allergies and asthma symptoms. It is the same with every other pet, like cats, dogs, rabbits, horses, hamsters, and gerbils.
Is It OK To Leave A Bird Air Purifier On All Night?
Yes, it is OK to leave an air purifier dealing with bird dander with a HEPA filter on all night, even when your bird is sleeping. Air purifiers are supposed to run 24 hours a day without ever shutting down. Doing so ensures indoor air quality stays healthy and stops bird dander and germs from building up. Be sure to check on the filters as it needs to be in good condition to trap a heavy amount of air particulates.
Are Air Purifiers Used For Bird Dander Safe?
Air purifiers that use HEPA filtration to deal with bird dander are safe for you and your bird. Most models are CARB certified to be ozone-safe so there is no harmful ozone byproducts to worry about.
How Much Energy Does An Air Purifier For Bird Dander Use?
Around 10-45 watts of energy, depending on the model and fan speed. A bird air purifier is no different from other air purifiers that rely on mechanical filtration. It is energy-efficient and will not cause more than $6 in monthly electrical bills.
How To Use An Air Purifier For Bird Effectively?
Using an air purifier for birds is similar to using a HEPA air cleaner. To get the best filtration performance, here's what you need to do:
- Replace the filters on time - A simple but often skipped step. Most owners delay replacing their filters due to cost. An air purifier's filters must be changed regularly to ensure optimal performance, particularly when dealing with endless bird dander.
- Place it close to the bird cage - The closer the air purifier is to the bird, the more bird dander will be captured. That said, avoid placing it underneath the bird cage as it might impede the airflow distribution or bird-dropping contamination. Leave 4 feet of space in between them.
- Never turn off the air purifier - It is needed to continuously clean the air from bird allergens. You can leave it in auto or sleep mode to conserve energy.
- Close all windows and doors - That way, the air purifier can focus on filtering air within the room without worrying about dirty air outside. You should not run an air purifier with open windows.
How Long Do Air Purifiers For Bird Dander Last?
Bird dander air purifiers will last 5 to 10 years, depending on how well it is maintained. More importantly, the air filters like carbon pre-filter, HEPA, and carbon filter will last between 3 to 12 months before the need for a change. You will need to replace them promptly to ensure the longevity of the air purifier.
The Pros And Cons Of An Air Purifier For Bird Dander
There are many benefits of having an air purifier for birds and a few negative ones. If you need some push in getting one, here are the pros and cons of a bird air cleaner.
- Remove airborne allergens - Air purifiers remove more than just bird dander. It covers other types of pollutants, smoke, and chemical fume that are harmful to our bodies. Without the triggers, you will be less likely to fall sick.
- Healthy indoor air quality - Everyone in the household, including birds, would benefit from clean air. Just turn it on, and the air purifier will continuously filter dirty air throughout the day.
- Low noise level - Air purifiers can be quiet and subtle when it is needed to be. It will not overlap your bird chirpiness.
- No ozone emission - Air purifiers for bird dander are all certified by CARB as ozone-safe. It will not release harmful byproducts.
- Easy to use - Unlike your pet needing constant attention, air purifiers are straightforward and will work straight out of the box. You only need to replace the filter every couple of months.
- Low power consumption - Air cleaners use very little energy (under 60 watts) during the course of purification. You will not see any changes in the electrical bill.
- Additional cost - Depending on the specification, a good air purifier will cost you hundreds and above. For example, the Alen BreatheSmart series is selling at 400 dollars for the base variant.
- Recurring filter cost - Air purifiers that tackle bird dander all use filters that need replacing from time to time. Expect to pay around 50 to 150 dollars annually.
Compare Best Air Purifier for Birds
|No||Image||Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Score||Filtration||Coverage||Fan |
|Dimension||Weight||Dust CADR||Pollen CADR||Smoke CADR||Pre-filter||HEPA filter||Carbon filter||Ionizer||UV light||Other filter||All-in-one filter||Noise level||Power output||Timer/ Scheduler||Sensors||Warranty||Auto mode||Remote control||Child lock||ENERGY STAR||Wi-Fi/ BTBluetooth||AQI||Filter indicator|
|1||Hamilton Beach 04384 TrueAir Compact Pet Air Purifier|
|3.5||3-stage||140 sq. ft. (13 m2)||3|
8.1 x 16.4 x 10.8 in
(20.6 x 41.7 x 27.4 cm)
|6.3 lb (2.9 kg)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
carbon zeolite filters (2 pack)
|2||LEVOIT Core P350 Air Purifier|
|4.3||3-stage||219 sq. ft. (20 m2)||3|
8.7 x 14.2 x 8.7 in
(22.1 x 36.1 x 22.1 cm)
|7.5 lb (3.4 kg)||140 cfm (238 m3/h)||145 cfm (246 m3/h)||141 cfm (240 m3/h)|
Fine non-woven fabric Pre-Filter
H13 True HEPA filter
6 - 8 months
Activated carbon filter with ARC formula
6 - 8 months
LEVOIT P350-RF 3-in-1 Replacement Filter
|24–50 dB||45 W||2/ 4/ 6/ 8 hours||2 years|
|3||GermGuardian AC5250PT Air Purifier|
|4.1||5-stage||180 sq. ft. (17 m2)||5|
6.1 x 27.3 x 9.5 in
(15.5 x 69.3 x 24.1 cm)
|10.5 lb (4.8 kg)||123 cfm (209 m3/h)||128 cfm (217 m3/h)||116 cfm (197 m3/h)|
6 - 9 months
FLT5250PT Filter-C HEPA Pet Pure
6 - 9 months
LB5000 UV-C Light
10 - 12 months29.99
Pet Pure treatment (antimicrobial)
FLT5000 Filter-C True HEPA
6 - 9 months
|Programmable (1 - 8 hours)||5 years|
|4||Alen BreatheSmart 45i Air Purifier|
|4.2||3-stage||800 sq. ft. (74 m2)||4|
15 x 25 x 8.5 in
(38.1 x 63.5 x 21.6 cm)
|15 lb (6.8 kg)||245 cfm (416 m3/h)||245 cfm (416 m3/h)||245 cfm (416 m3/h)|
Washable Pre-filter (with HEPA filter)
6 - 18 months
HEPA-Pure Filter FL40
6 - 18 months
|23-49 dBA||50 W||2, 4, 12 hours||Intelligent sensor||Lifetime Limited Warranty|
|5||Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A Air Purifier|
|4.6||6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||5|
21.4 x 20 x 7 in
(54.4 x 50.8 x 17.8 cm)
|19.4 lb (8.8 kg)||193 cfm (328 m3/h)||200 cfm (340 m3/h)||180 cfm (306 m3/h)|
MinusA2 HEPA Filter
12 - 24 months
MinusA2 Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter
12 - 24 months
|Negative Ion Generator|
MinusA2 Medium Filter
MinusA2 Customized Filter (4 option)
12 - 24 months+- 27.95
MinusA2 Filter Replacement Kit
12 - 24 months
|25.6-51.3 dBA||7 - 61 W||Particle/ Odor/ Light Sensor||5 years|
|6||Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier|
|4.5||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||4|
15 x 23.6 x 8.2 in
(38.1 x 59.9 x 20.8 cm)
|15.4 lb (7 kg)||243 cfm (413 m3/h)||246 cfm (418 m3/h)||232 cfm (394 m3/h)|
True HEPA filter
AOC Advanced Granular Carbon Filter
Filter H 116130
|26.6-60+ dB||5-90 W||1, 4, 8 hours||VOC sensors (Air quality)||2 years|