What is dust allergies?
A common indoor allergy that often associate with dust mites, dust allergies usually occurred after housekeeping i.e. vacuuming and sweeping where dust contaminants is stirred back up to the air. Inhaling to these contaminants not would cause respiratory issue especially people with severe dust allergies that would trigger an asthma attack. Other symptoms of dust allergies include breathing difficulty, sneezing, wheezing, coughing itchy watery eyes, runny nose, and nasal congestion. There are many treatments to dust allergies including medications, allergy shot or routine housekeeping, what we will be focusing on here is picking the best air purifier for dust removal and airborne dust mites.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?People who have dust allergies or constantly battling against stuffy/ runny nose, sneezing, red eyes and wheezing. Dusty environment, workplace, home or room due to many uncontrollable circumstances. Infant, children or elderly people that has a weaker immune system and are more prone to diseases. Lastly anyone that wants a "dust less" environment that has significantly less airborne dust and allergens.
Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal 2019
The mother of dust wiper, Blueair Pro XL is the ultimate, best air purifier for dust removal machine you could get against the dustiest, dirtiest home you can find. Its 950 cfm Dust CADR is segment best at the point of this review. Having such an impressive dust CADR figure means Blueair Pro XL will swiftly get rid of high volume of dust via its large trio Blueair Pro Particle Filter. Tally with that is the equally powerful airflow distribution and again segment best purifying coverage, Blueair Pro XL is ideal for large room-size e.g. offices, living hall and kitchen. Incidentally, this is also the few dust air purifiers we recommend for places with high air quality index (AQI).As expected, the powerful airflow performance and high dust CADR clearly reflected on Blueair Pro XL bulkiness and weight. There is also the expensive price tag and high recurring filter cost. Unless you are staying close to an industrial area or construction site, you could either opt for the smaller Blueair Pro L, even smaller Blueair Pro M or Classic 605 dust air purifier.
- The best dust, pollen and smoke CADR return from an air purifier.
- Very powerful airflow performance cover by wide purifying coverage.
- The same reliable HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge all inflow particles.
- Uses 3 high grade Pro Particle filter and 3 Pro SmokeStop Filter.
- Reasonable noise level for a 3 fan powered air purifier.
- Comes bundled with Air Intelligence Module where is optional purchase for Pro M and L.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive Blueair ever made.
- High cost of ownership with 3 pairs of filters to maintain.
- No timer, no Wi-Fi pairing and no remote control.
- No permanent pre-filter that protect and extend the particle filter lifespan.
Even though Coway AP-1512HH dust CADR might be miles behind Blueair Pro XL, this Mighty machine is one of our favorite air purifier for dust removal simply for its outstanding price VS performance ratio. To start, Coway AP-1512HH has a respectable dust filtration for its price point. The consistent clean air distribution is achievable mainly due to the upfront permanent pre-filter that capture dust particles along with its traveling partner (dust mites, skin, pollen and so forth). Extensive purifying coverage also means Coway AP-1512HH Mighty can cover a lot of grounds, so you will have way less airborne dust to worry about. Add in the ultra-effective HEPA filter and chemical-grade odor filtration, you'll have a very capable dust air purifier that will also get rid of bacteria, allergens, chemicals and odors.Coway AP-1512HH Mighty might be in the market for quite sometimes and there are certain design elements feel dated. It will not daze you with its features either but rest assure, it is still a great all-round dust air purifier that will fit into most people budget.
- Well-priced for a 4-stage filtration air purifier.
- Very low annual filter replacement cost as well.
- Wide purifying coverage catered for large room size.
- Uses True HEPA filter which has a better filtration efficiency to compliment the deodorization and pre-filter.
- The availability of practical Auto mode and timer features.
- Energy Saving Eco mode that will stop fan from spinning when no pollutants is detected for 30 minutes.
- 2 Separate HEPA and Odor filter replacement indicator.
- Particle sensors occasionally fail to detect nearby pollutants which directly affects the usability of Auto mode.
- Not known to have the best customer service support.
When you are hyper allergic to dust mites yet been surrounded by dust from left to right, one pre-filter is never enough. That's why AIRMEGA 300 comes with 2 pre-filter with one on each side. Is it a marketing gimmick? Definitely not. As AIRMEGA 300 dust air purifier absorb air from both sides, it makes sense to filter out dust and other large particle first so the inner HEPA and carbon filter would not be congested by dust particles. Because of this simple reason, AIRMEGA 300 score an excellent dust CADR even at maximum air changes per hour. Being one of the best air purifier for dust, Airmega 300 is also well supported by its strong and consistent airflow distribution.AIRMEGA 300 has many other great practical features that we did not mentioned, but those features do incur an additional cost and this version is without the Wi-Fi connectivity addon. If you are looking for a pure dust removal machine with minimal "practical features", the next item would probably suit you better.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying coverage despite being the least expensive model.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both side while protecting the HEPA filter and Carbon filter.
- Excellent allergens and smoke filtration via its HEPA filter and Carbon filter combination Max2 filter.
- Auto mode that automatically set the fanspeed based on surrounding air quality.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter indicator that based on runtime.
- Built-in timer without having to rely on app.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- Reasonable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires yearly change.
- 5 years warranty.
- Still expensive despite being the cheapest in the group.
- After discount you only need to top up a little bit more to opt for the Wi-Fi version.
- Lacks auto sleep mode and real-time filter replacement indicator found in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer as a backup option.
A common misconception, dust mites are not a parasite and does not bite! Dust mites does however feed on dead tissue from shed skin, feces that will cause allergic reactions like itchiness to asthma attack. Winix 5500-2 is a great dust mites air purifier remover despite not having the best dust CADR or widest purifying coverage. Supported by good airflow delivery and PlasmaWave technology that causes more dust to fall, the permanent pre-filter is effective in removing airborne dust to a certain extent. Paired well with True HEPA filter, Winix 5500-2 filtration does help reduce a certain degree of allergic reactions particularly from dust mites. On top of it all, Winix 5500-2 is inexpensive and very easy to use with AQ indicator, Auto mode and timer all come standard.Like most Winix models, the downside for Winix 5500-2 as a dust air purifier is the slightly expensive yearly filter replacement that can be a hassle for some. There are more cost-effective air purifiers if you don't mind dropping the PlasmaWave tech.
- Super attractive price (after online rebate) when you consider the complete specification offering.
- Decent CADR that covers medium room size well via its 4-stage filtration and PlasmaWave technology.
- Washable pre-filter that might be a hassle to maintain, you will be glad how much money and dust you have collected even a short period of time.
- Genuine, True-HEPA filter works as advertised in removing allergens and other germs microorganisms.
- Use a standalone AOC carbon filter rather than cheap out on a carbon pre-filter sheet.
- Full access remote control including the mode selector.
- 4 fan speed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode. Sleep mode pairs well with the light sensor that autonomously adjusts the LED indicator brightness according to the room ambient light.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Not outstanding, but it is an improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1 year warranty).
- We like the dedicated AOC carbon filter, but it's not the best in the market when it comes to strong, pungent smell.
- During our test, there is a delay (2-4 minutes) before the air purifier reacts to surrounding airborne particles. Either the odor sensor requires cleaning or the sensor takes its own sweet time to detect.
The air purifier that needs no introduction, Honeywell HPA300 is crowned best bang for the buck dust air purifier for good reason. It has high dust CADR, wide purifying coverage, dual function carbon pre-filter and top it all, it's inexpensive to own one. Compare with similar performance range air purifiers, Honeywell HPA300 it is also less bulky than most dust air purifiers thus it will fit well in studio, apartment or bedroom with limited room size. Other than dust, Honeywell HPA300 is also very effective in removing airborne dust mites, bacteria and household allergens thanks to the reliable HEPA filter.What Honeywell HPA300 do lack is a cost-saving, permanent pre-filter where you can easily vacuum off any collected dust. The deodorization carbon pre-filter works great but it does require yearly replacement and that is an extra recurring cost. Honeywell HPA300 also lack premium features like AQ sensor, Auto mode but at this price point we can't complain much.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
Alen BreatheSmart series is also featured multiple times in this best air purifier for dust removal list. Hardly any surprising as its high points include the outstanding overall CADR (including dust), abundant of airflow circulation, wide purifying radius and a permanent washable filter. Since the pre-filter is a standalone filter, there is no need to worry about filter replacement other than the HEPA filter. Speaking of HEPA filter, if your sole concern is on dust, the bundled HEPA-Pure would do just fine so no upgrade is required. One unrelated highlight this dust air machine is Alen BreatheSmart modern shaped body support swappable front panel. Plenty of front panel cover can be purchase separately to fit into your home décor liking.It’s not the most expensive nor the cheapest dust air purifier in the list, Alen BreatheSmart Classic or any particular Alen BreatheSmart models does fall slightly short compare with top-of-the-line dust remover machine, we reckon the well-equipped features and lifetime warranty will compensate just fine.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
Most Guardian Technologies air purifiers offer attractive price tag with the compromisation of filtration performance. GermGuardian AC9200WCA is not your typical tower air purifier from the brand. In fact, it is the complete opposite both inside and out. First off, it is a console air purifier that can fit in a larger pre-filter so more dust/ dust mites can be collected. Second, the high airflow performance can swiftly deliver a high 310 cfm dust clean air delivery rate. Third, the decent 378 sq. ft. purifying coverage is large room size equivalent so no issue covering the entire room dust. Adding Ionizer, UV-C light technology into the filtration list, you have yourself a decent air purifier for dust removal.Like we mentioned earlier, GermGuardian AC9200WCA bulkiness and higher price tag is expected for the performance bump. However, the lack of AQ sensor/ Auto mode is not something you would normally associate with. Nevertheless, GermGuardian AC9200WCA is still one of the highly capable air purifier for dust removal in the list so the cons might be insignificant after all.
- 5-stage filtration with respectable purifying coverage.
- Strong airflow with High CADR return especially on dust.
- Reliable True HEPA filter against micron size particles.
- Dedicated Activated Carbon Filter that is effective against household odors and VOCs.
- UV-C light and Ionizer is optional and can be disabled via on/ off button.
- Preset 2, 4, 6 hours timer.
- Expensive starting price.
- Fairly bulky and heavy.
- Lacks air quality indicator and Auto mode support.
🏆 Honorable mention
- Our all time favorite frame air purifier that does not shy away from dust. Rabbit Air MinusA2
- PureZone 3-in-1 is in for a shout with its perfectly balanced price over functionality.
Previous best air purifier for dust removal winner
- Airgle AG800
- Austin Air HealthMate
- IQAir HealthPro Plus
Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Blueair Pro XL||3-stage||1180 sq. ft. (110 m2)||9.5|
|Coway AP-1512HH Mighty||4-stage||326 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.6|
|Airmega 300||4-stage||1256 sq. ft. (117 m2)||9|
|Winix 5500-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||8.5|
|Alen BreatheSmart Classic||3-stage||1100 sq. ft. (102 m2)||8.8|
|GermGuardian AC9200WCA||5-stage||378 sq. ft. (35 m2)||8|