From the comfy of your bedroom to living hall, dust is literally everywhere. It's impossible to stay in one place without the irritants regardless of how “dust-free” it is. What’s worrying is the contaminants that often travel within the dust such as dust mites and skin flakes. In this best air purifier for dust removal list, we provide remediation on your concern. We will first look into dust related allergies, the many symptoms, and solutions. Only then we will compare each air purifier effectiveness through the purifying coverage. Followed by the combined effort between pre-filter and HEPA filter against allergens. At the end of the post, you should find one of our hand-picked air purifiers that will suit your budget.
There's No Magic Dust An Air Purifier Cannot Handle!
What is dust allergies?
A common indoor allergy that often associates with dust mites. Dust allergies triggered after housekeeping i.e. vacuuming and sweeping. where dust contaminants are stirred back up to the air. Most people will experience breathing difficulty, sneezing, runny nose, and nasal congestion. Other common symptoms include wheezing, coughing, itchiness, watery eyes. Inhaling to these irritants will cause respiratory problems particularly people suffering from asthma. There are many prevention efforts and treatments to dust allergies. From medication, allergy shot to assigning others for housekeeping. What we will be focusing here is to provide the absolute best air purifier for dust removal list. Save your time by skipping through all the comparison and pricing research!
Who is this for?People who have dust allergies or constantly suffering with stuffy nose, or sneezing. Dusty area where you often spend your most time in e.g. workplace, storeroom, living hall or bedroom. Newborn, infant, or children due to developing immune system . Elderly that are more prone to diseases because of their weakened immune system . Lastly, anyone that wants a "dust-free" environment with significantly less airborne allergens.
Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal 2019
The mother of all air purifiers, Blueair Pro XL is the ultimate, best air purifier for dust removal. The perfect machine you could get against the dustiest, dirtiest home you can find. Tally with that is the powerful airflow distribution and segment best purifying coverage. Ideal for large room-size e.g. offices, living hall and kitchen.
What's cool: 950 cfm Dust CADR is segment best at the point of this review. A comprehensive 1180 sq. ft. coverage and awesome HEPASilent technology is also standard here. This is also the few air purifiers we recommend for places with high air quality index (AQI).
What's not: The powerful airflow and high CADR clearly reflected on the bulkiness and weight. There is also the expensive price tag and high recurring filter cost to deal with.In short: Powerful but not necessarily. The large trio Blueair Pro Particle Filter will swiftly get rid of high volume of dust. Unless you are staying close to an industrial area, either opt for the smaller Blueair Pro L or Pro M. Most household will be content with Blueair Classic 605 air purifier.
- The best dust, pollen and smoke CADR return from an air purifier.
- Very powerful airflow performance cover by wide purifying coverage.
- The same reliable HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge all inflow particles.
- Uses 3 high grade Pro Particle filter and 3 Pro SmokeStop Filter.
- Reasonable noise level for a 3 fan powered air purifier.
- Comes bundled with Air Intelligence Module where is optional purchase for Pro M and L.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive Blueair ever made.
- High cost of ownership with 3 pairs of filters to maintain.
- No timer, no Wi-Fi pairing and no remote control.
- No permanent pre-filter that protect and extend the particle filter lifespan.
Even though Coway AP-1512HH dust CADR might be miles behind Pro XL, it is still one of our favorite air purifiers. The permanent pre-filter can capture dust and any tagged along traveling allergens. Adding the consistent airflow and autonomous purifying, you'll have less airborne dust to worry about.
What's cool: A very capable HEPA air purifier with respectable dust CADR for its price point. Wide coverage also means it can cover a lot of grounds. Finally, there is the ultra-effective HEPA filter and chemical-grade odor filtration.
What's not:Dated design. Short carbon filter lifespan although this does not affect the dust filtration.In short: A great all-around dust air purifier that will fit into most people budget. Coway Mighty is in the market for quite sometimes with certain elements feel dated. Rest assured, it is still a very practical and usable dust catcher.
- Well-priced for a powerful 4-stage filtration air purifier.
- Very low annual filter replacement fees. Cost only 1/3 of some premium air purifier.
- Decent purifying coverage capable of catering for large room size.
- Genuine True HEPA filter that compliments well with the pre-filter, deodorization, and ionizer.
- Sensor comes with 3 adjustable preset setting plus the availability of Auto mode and timer features.
- Energy Saving Eco mode that will stop the fan from spinning when no pollutants are detected for 30 minutes.
- 2 Separate HEPA and Odor filter replacement indicator.
- Particle sensors occasionally take its time to detect nearby pollutants even though it is set to "sensitive" level.
- Carbon filter lifespan is shorter than the market average of 1 year.
- not known to have the most responsive customer service support (things might have improved recently).
Hyper-allergic to dust mites yet been surrounded by it from left to right, one pre-filter is never enough. That's why AIRMEGA 300 comes with 2 pre-filter with one on each side of the air purifier. Is it a marketing gimmick? Definitely not. The air purifier pull air from both sides of the air inlet, it makes sense to filter out the large particles first.
What's cool: Dual washable pre-filters that will capture dust from both sides. Excellent dust CADR even at maximum air changes per hour. Strong and consistent airflow distribution. There is also the well-protected HEPA and carbon filter.
What's not: Expensive to own and maintain. Not ideal for long-run if you want a simple dust removal machine. 2 pre-filters means double cleaning effort required.In short: AIRMEGA 300 has many other great practical features that we did not mention. "Those" features do incur an extra cost especially in the filter department. If you are looking for a pure dust air purifier with minimal addon, the next list would probably suit you better.
- Very wide purifying coverage despite being the least expensive in its series.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles coming from both sides. Also protect and extent the inner filter lifespan.
- Excellent allergens and smoke filtration via its Green True HEPA/ Carbon filter.
- Auto mode that is sensitive to surrounding air quality.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifetime indicator.
- Built-in timer without having to rely on the app.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- Acceptable annual Max2 filter replacement cost for its higher-end category.
- 5 years official warranty from Coway.
- Still expensive despite being the cheapest model in the group.
- After online discounted price, you only need to top up a little bit more for the Wi-Fi version (300S).
- Lacks auto sleep mode and real-time filter replacement indicator found in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer as an additional filtration option.
A great dust and dust mites remover at a fraction of the cost. Winix 5500-2 is on the cheaper end with good airflow delivery rate. The multi-stage filtration will certainly help reduce a degree of allergic reactions.
What's cool: Cost less than $200 with AQ indicator, Auto mode and timer all come standard. Permanent pre-filter that is reusable again and again. Reliable and supportive HEPA and carbon filter. Trademark PlasmaWave tech will causes more dust to fall so the pre-filter can pick up from there.
What's not: Like most Winix models, the slightly expensive filter set that can be a hassle in long-run. Pre-filter requires schedulely cleaning.In short: An affordable air purifier that is not so "affordable" in the filter replacement. There are more cost-effective options if you don't mind dropping a few features.
- Super attractive price (after online rebate) when you consider its specification.
- Decent CADR that covers medium room size via its 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration.
- Genuine, True-HEPA filter works as advertised. Excellent in removing allergens and other microorganisms.
- Use a standalone AOC carbon filter rather than cheap out on a carbon pre-filter sheet.
- Full access remote control including the mode selector.
- 4 fan speed plus Auto/ Sleep mode with light sensor. Sleep mode autonomously adjusts the LED indicator brightness according to the room ambient light.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Not outstanding, but an improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1-year).
- We like the dedicated AOC carbon filter, but it's not the best in the market when it comes to strong, pungent smell.
- During our test, there is a short delay before 5500-2 reacts to surrounding particles. Either the odor sensor requires cleaning or the sensor takes its own sweet time to detect.
The model that needs no introduction. Honeywell HPA300 is crowned best bang for the buck HEPA air purifier for a good reason. The dual function carbon pre-filter will capture large particles and odors well. Compare with similar range models, it is also less bulky than most air purifier for dust. Perfect for in studio, apartment or bedroom with limited room size.
What's cool: Everything that has to do with the airflow performance. It has high dust CADR, wide purifying coverage, and the best bit of all, it's inexpensive to own.
What's not: Uses carbon pre-filter that requires replacing every 3 months. Lacks premium features like Auto mode, Sleep mode, AQ sensor, and indicator.In short: Cost less than $300 with impressive dust CADR and purifying coverage. The major fallback is the carbon pre-filter is not washable so there is an extra recurring cost. On a brighter note, you do not need to vacuum it every quarterly or so.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- Adjustable 4 fan speed including Turbo mode.
- Dual function Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and mild gas based particles.
- Proven True-HEPA filter that is very effective against fine airborne particles.
- Separate electronic filter change reminder with one for HEPA and the other for carbon pre-filter.
- Dedicated light dimming option and 3 pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality indicator.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
- Touch buttons is not the most pleasant to operate with little feedback.
Winix HR1000 series is also featured multiple times in our Best of the best series. Hardly any surprise, as its high points include the outstanding CADR and airflow. Consider this has an upgrade version to 5500-2.
What's cool: The same standalone, permanent pre-filter that is washable. High 264 cfm Dust CADR. Wide 400 sq. ft. for large room size. All the Winix goodies plus Wi-Fi enabled feature is also available.
What's not: Again, filter kit can be expensive to replace and it doesn't make sense if you don't do so.In short: It’s not the most expensive nor the cheapest dust air purifier in the list. Airflow performance also falls slightly short compared with top-of-the-line air purifier. If your sole concern is on dust, we reckon the well-equipped features will compensate the shortcoming just fine.
- 5-stage filtration with permanent washable pre-filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Excellent True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Equally effective Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 4 fan speed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Sensitive Light and Smart sensor (Particle, VOC) with front air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allows distant control and advanced scheduling.
- Useful Child lock feature that prevents children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer that can be setup straight on the air purifier.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive bundled filter replacement that requires yearly change.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glares up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as smooth sailing and straightforward as it should be.
Most GermGuardian air purifiers offer attractive price with some compromisation on performance. AC9200WCA is not your typical tower air purifier from the brand. In fact, it is the complete opposite both inside and out.
What's cool: The must have permanent pre-filter. High airflow performance can deliver 310 cfm dust CADR. Decent 378 sq. ft. purifying coverage is large room size equivalent so no issue covering the entire room. Ionizer, UV-C light technology also included in the filtration list.
What's not: Around $100 more expensive than its closest competitors. No Auto mode, air quality sensor and indicator. It is also bulky and heavy.In short: The best air purifier for dust that is not outrageously expensive. AC9200WCA might have a few insignificant cons, there is no doubt on its dust filtration capability. If you want an air cleaner that can fit in a larger pre-filter thus more dust mites will be collected, look no further.
- 5-stage filtration with respectable purifying coverage.
- Strong airflow with High CADR return especially on dust.
- Reliable True HEPA filter against micron size particles.
- Dedicated Activated Carbon Filter that is effective against household odors and VOCs.
- UV-C light and Ionizer is optional and can be disabled via on/ off button.
- Preset 2, 4, 6 hours timer.
- Expensive starting price.
- Fairly bulky and heavy.
- Lacks air quality indicator and Auto mode support.
🏆 Honorable mention
- Our all time favorite frame air purifier that does not shy away from dust. Rabbit Air MinusA2
- PureZone 3-in-1 is in for a shout with its perfectly balanced price over functionality.
📃 Previous holder
- Alen BreatheSmart
- Airgle AG800
- Austin Air HealthMate
- IQAir HealthPro Plus
Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Blueair Pro XL||3-stage||1180 sq. ft. (110 m2)||9.5|
|Coway AP-1512HH Mighty||4-stage||326 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.6|
|Airmega 300||4-stage||1256 sq. ft. (117 m2)||9|
|Winix 5500-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||8.5|
|Honeywell HPA300||3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||8.5|
|Winix HR1000||5-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||9|
|GermGuardian AC9200WCA||5-stage||378 sq. ft. (35 m2)||8|
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
What is the use of pre-filter?
Pre-filter is the first-stage filtration of an air purifier. The purpose of a pre-filter is to that blocks out large particles mainly, dust, hair, and debris. Pre-filter will also protect the inner filters from getting clogged by irrelevant pollutants. This would prevent the filters e.g. HEPA, activated carbon from being damaged and wear out quicker. In the same way, it can extend the other filters lifespan.
Pre-filter is typically made from pleated panel, wool, fabric mesh, and steel mesh. Regardless of the air purifiers types, almost very single of them comes pre-fitted with it.
In the market, you will find 2-in-1 Carbon Pre-filter that requires replacing as it is not washable. Most permanent pre-filter can be wash and reuse again without affecting its efficiency. For pre-filter that is soakable, wash it by hand delicately under warm water. Squeeze a little bit of lemon into the water to rub off stubborn dirt. Allow the pre-filter to dry and re-installing it. Some pre-filter can only be vacuum gently with a brush. Check the instructional manual before proceeding with any cleaning.