Dust is literally everywhere and is impossible to stay in a place without any dust regardless how “dust-free” it is. What’s worrying to most people is the disease linked contaminants that travel within the dust such as dust mites and skin flakes. In this best dust removal air purifier list, we will dive deep into dust related issue, symptoms, the many alternate solutions and who is this for. We will also be looking at each air purifier effectiveness against dust via CADR, pre-filter filtration performance and lastly how extensive is the purifying coverage within an area. At the end of this post, you should find at least one of our hand-picked air purifier that suit your budget requirement and also do well against the never-ending dust.
What is dust allergies?
A common indoor allergy that often associate with dust mites, dust allergies usually occurred after housekeeping i.e. vacuuming and sweeping where dust contaminants where stir back up to the air. Inhaling to these contaminants could cause respiratory issue, diseases especially people with severe dust allergies that would often trigger an asthma attack. Other symptoms of dust allergies include breathing difficulty, sneezing, wheezing, coughing itchy watery eyes, runny nose, and nasal congestion. There are many treatment to dust allergies including medications, allergy shot or routine housekeeping, what we will be focusing on is the air purifier solution that primarily targets airborne dust.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?People who have dust allergies or constantly battling against stuffy/ runny nose, sneezing, red eyes and wheezing. Dusty environment, workplace, home or room due to many uncontrollable circumstances. Infant, children or elderly people that has a weaker immune system and are more prone to diseases. Lastly anyone that wants a "dust less" environment that has significantly less airborne dust and allergens.
The mother of dust wiper, Blueair Pro XL is the ultimate machine you could get against the dustiest, dirtiest home you can find. Its 950 cfm Dust CADR is segment best at the point of this review. Having such an impressive CADR figure means Blueair Pro XL will trap a high volume of dust via its large trio Blueair Pro Particle Filter at an unbelievable velocity. Tally with that is the equally powerful airflow distribution and again segment best purifying coverage, Pro XL is ideal for large room-size e.g. offices, living hall and kitchen. This would also be the few air purifiers we would recommend for places with high air quality index (AQI).As expected, the powerful airflow performance and high CADR clearly reflected on Blueair Pro XL bulkiness and weight. There is also the expensive price tag and high recurring filter cost. Unless you are staying close to an industrial area or construction site, you could either opt for the smaller Blueair Pro L, even smaller Blueair Pro M or Classic 605.
- The best dust, pollen and smoke CADR return from an air purifier.
- Very powerful airflow performance cover by wide purifying coverage.
- The same reliable HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge all inflow particles.
- Uses 3 high grade Pro Particle filter and 3 Pro SmokeStop Filter.
- Reasonable noise level for a 3 fan powered air purifier.
- Comes bundled with Air Intelligence Module where is optional purchase for Pro M and L.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive Blueair ever made.
- High cost of ownership with 3 pairs of filters to maintain.
- No timer, no Wi-Fi pairing and no remote control.
- No permanent pre-filter that protect and extend the particle filter lifespan.
Apart from Blueair Pro XL, Airgle AG800 has one of the highest dust CADR thus it has a respectable dust filtration VS purifying coverage. The consistent and swift clean air distribution is achievable mainly due to the outstanding pre-filter that capture dust particles along with its traveling partner (dust mites, skin, pollen and so forth). Extensive purifying coverage also means Airgle AG800 can cover a lot of grounds so you will have way less airborne dust to worry about. Add in the ultra-effective HEPA filter and chemical-grade odor filtration, you'll have a very capable dust air purifier that will also filter out bacteria, allergens, chemicals and odors.Like Bluair Pro XL, Airgle 800 is beyond the reach of most people with its hefty price tag. It might be a great all-round air purifier with premium aluminum housing, most people would probably opt for cheaper alternative to suit their budget needs.
- Premium pressure sealed aluminum framework with 4 casters.
- 3-stage filtration with 5 fanspeed including Auto mode and Night/ Sleep mode.
- 50 sq. ft. HEPAfast filter against small particles as small as 0.03 microns.
- Separate 3 lbs enhanced special blend carbon filter that capture gas and odors.
- Front LCD panel that display room air quality and filter lifespan updates.
- Remote control and timer comes as standard.
- Cover up to 5 years warranty.
- One of the most expensive air purifier we had ever reviewed.
- Annual filter replacement cost twice as much as a brand-new high range air purifier.
- Again one of the heaviest unit we ever reviewed.
- Higher than average noise level at all speed.
- High power consumption despite being a ENERGY STAR rated unit.
When you have dust flowing from left and right, one pre-filter is never enough. That's why AIRMEGA 300 comes with 2 pre-filter with one on each side. Is it a marketing gimmick? Definitely not. AIRMEGA 300 absorb air from both side so it make sense to filter out dust and other large particle first so the inner HEPA and carbon filer would not be congested by dust particles. As a result, AIRMEGA 300 score an excellent dust CADR even at maximum air changes per hour well supported by its strong and consistent airflow distribution. Not bad for a newcomer brand.AIRMEGA 300 has many other great practical features that we did not mentioned, but those features does incur an additional cost to the air purifier and this version is without the Wi-Fi connectivity addon. If you are looking for a pure dust elimination with minimal "practical features", the next item would probably suit you better.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying coverage despite being the least expensive model.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both side while protecting the HEPA filter and Carbon filter.
- Excellent allergens and smoke filtration via its HEPA filter and Carbon filter combination Max2 filter.
- Auto mode that automatically set the fanspeed based on surrounding air quality.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter indicator that based on runtime.
- Built-in timer without having to rely on app.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- Reasonable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires yearly change.
- 5 years warranty.
- Still expensive despite being the cheapest in the group.
- After discount you only need to top up a little bit more to opt for the Wi-Fi version.
- Lacks auto sleep mode and real-time filter replacement indicator found in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer as a backup option.
Austin Air HealthMate might not be officially rated in CADR, it is still a great dust remover and it has one of the widest purifying coverage. Supported by a decent 360 degree airflow delivery rate and trio pre-filter front-line, the outer pre-filter case might not be an effective dust collector, it does help reduce a certain degree of dust so the filter based pre-filter and medium filter would have a better capacity against dust particles. On top of it all, Austin Air 5 years filter lifespan is also another great selling point as there is no hassle and expensive yearly filter replacement.The downside for Austin Air HealthMate as a dust remover is definitely the lack of features especially Auto mode where the air purifier would go on full blast when is not required. Also the machine based price is another tricky matter even though in long-run you would probably save up more than you would expect.
- Great for all room sizes with its comprehensive purifying coverage.
- Trio pre-filter (outer mesh, pre-filter, medium filter) that reduce the workload of the HEPA filter.
- Highly effective 15 lbs. Activated carbon zeolite filter.
- Comprehensive 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter.
- Durable and sturdy powdered coated steel.
- Up to 5 years filter lifespan.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Loud fan noise with no option of silent/ sleep mode.
- Very bulky and heavy despite having a casters to support.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires filter to be unscrew from the bottom.
- Slight innovative features such as auto mode, digital screen, air quality indicator,/ sensor, timer.
The air purifier that needs no introduction, Honeywell HPA300 is crowned best bang for the buck air purifier for many reason. It has high dust CADR, wide purifying coverage, dual function carbon pre-filter and top it all it's inexpensive to own one. Compare with similar performance range air purifier,s, it is also less bulky than most dust air purifiers thus it will fit well in studio, apartment or bedroom with limited room size. Other than dust, Honeywell HPA300 is also very effective against dust mites, bacteria and household allergens thanks to the reliable HEPA filter.What Honeywell HPA300 do lack is a permanent pre-filter where you can easily vacuum off any collected dust. The deodorization carbon pre-filter works great but it require yearly replacement and that is an extra recurring cost. Honeywell HPA300 also lack premium features but at this price point we can't complain much.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
Alen BreatheSmart is also an air purifier that has been featured many times in the best list and it is hardly any surprise. It has high overall CADR, abundant of airflow speed, wide purifying radius and a permanent washable filter. Like Blueair Pro and AIRGMEGA, Alen BreatheSmart is modernly shaped, well-designed and it comes with swappable front panel cover that can be additionally purchase to fit into your home decor, Since the pre-filter is a standalone filter, there is no need to worry about filter replacement other than the HEPA filter. Speaking of HEPA filter, if your sole concern is on dust, the bundled HEPA-Pure would do just fine so no upgrade is required.Its not the most expensive nor the cheapest in the list, Alen BreatheSmart does fall slightly short compare with top-of-the-line air purifier but we reckon the well-equipped features and lifetime warranty will do just fine.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
GermGuardian AC9200WCA is not your typical tower air purifier from the brand that offers attractive price tag with the compromisation of filtration performance. In fact, it is the complete opposite both inside out. First off, it is a console air purifier that can fit in a large pre-filter (more dust can be collected). Secondly, the high airflow performance can swiftly deliver a high 310 cfm dust clean air delivery rate. Thirdly, the 378 sq. ft. purifying coverage is large size equivalent so no issue covering the entire room dust. Adding Ionizer, UV-C light technology into the filtration list, you have yourself a winner.Like we mentioned earlier, the bulkiness and higher price tag is unavoidable while the lack of AQ sensor/ Auto mode is not something you would normally associate with. Nevertheless GermGuardian AC9200WCA is still one of the cheapest in the list so the cons might be insignificant after all.
- 5-stage filtration with respectable purifying coverage.
- Strong airflow with High CADR return especially on dust.
- Reliable True HEPA filter against micron size particles.
- Dedicated Activated Carbon Filter that is effective against household odors and VOCs.
- UV-C light and Ionizer is optional and can be disabled via on/ off button.
- Preset 2, 4, 6 hours timer.
- Expensive starting price.
- Fairly bulky and heavy.
- Lacks air quality indicator and Auto mode support.