Little do we know that our own sanctuary home is filled with household chemicals that we barely even know it exist. Each chemical would cause different side effects and varies depending on the exposure level and period of time. In this round of best list we will learn what is household chemicals, the air purifier solutions and who is this for. We will judge each air purifier effectiveness based on its Smoke CADR (if available), Airflow speed, Activated Carbon filter and any addon chemicals specialty. At the end of the page, one of the air purifier would definitely bound to your needs in reducing the long-term exposure against household chemicals.
What is household chemicals?
Almost all household items emit chemicals and is possible to avoid them. From our furniture, glasses, wall paint (VOCs) to consumer goods such a detergent, body wash, pest control, nail polisher, and air fresheners. Common chemicals that are emitted from household products include Ammonia, Acetone, Benzene, Formaldehyde and VOCs. While short-term exposure to above chemicals would cause minor symptoms such as coughing, nausea, headache, red eyes and wheezing, long-term high concentration exposure can lead to serious, permanent damage (skin burn, blindness, organ failure) and eventually death.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Firstly people that are suffering from Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) would definitely benefit from the list. Family that stays nearby industrial area, factory or places with high air quality index (AQI). Baby, children, elderly, asthmatic person that have a weaker immune system. A Person staying with or close to smokers also fit into the bill. Last but not least any indoor house as airborne chemicals and pollutants is everywhere.
Live nearby industrial area that is constantly polluted with unwanted chemicals and contaminants? IQAir GC MultiGas is your answer. Apart from the strong airflow distribution and extra-wide purifying coverage, this NO1 multiple chemical sensitivities purifier features a outer layer Post-filter Sleeves that remove activated carbon and chemisorption abrasion particles via a charged fiber structure. The inner layer GC MultiGas Cartridges would eliminate harmful household chemicals including Ammonia and Formaldehyde via oxidation process. Bundled with the allergens remover HyperHEPA Pre-Filter and industrial leading 10 years warranty, IQAir GC MultiGas is undoubtedly the best by a long stretch.There is a price for such greatness, IQAir GC MultiGas is very expensive that is not even carried by some of the online dealers. Not everyone could afford to fork out this big chunk of cash on an air purifier let alone the filter replacement cartridge. Another common issue with high performance air purifier is the unavoidable large body and hefty weight. Alternatively consider IQAir HealthPro Plus as it is also a very similar choice at a slightly lower base price.
- Exceptional build quality from Swiss thanks to the impact resistant ABS plastic .
- Guarantee no leakage with its zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long 2.5 years filter lifespan for GC MultiGas Cartridges
- Each air purifier are individually tested and certified on its performance.
- Lower than average noise level for a high-performance air purifier.
- Comprehensive purifying coverage with 320 degree airflow distribution framewoek.
- Remote control ready with up to 6 selectable fanspeed.
- Advanced scheduling (programmable timer) - set fanspeed x time, day or week.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- The most expensive air purifier in IQAir lineup.
- No dust/ odor sensors thus no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Heavier than HealthPro Plus despite sharing the small body size.
Blueair is another premium brand air purifier that unlike IQAir, it has wide range of product selection from the lower end Blueair 203 to the top-of-the-line Blueair Pro XL. What makes Blueair purifier exceptionally outstanding and in this case Blueair 405 filter arrangement setup. Chemicals, allergens and odors that is captured by the air purifier would first have to go through the ionizer, HEPA filter and only SmokeStop filter making it impossible for any of the chemicals from releasing back out. Along with the swift purification via its strong airflow and wide purifying coverage, Blueair 405 also comes with plenty of addon practicality such as remote control, air quality indicator and Wi-Fi connectivity link with Blueair Friend App.One of the big drawback in Blueair purifier is the expensive annual filter replacement cost that in long-run would cost even more than IQAir. If you want a strong chemical filtration air purifier with one of the lowest annual filter replacement cost, see the next item in the list.
- Wide purifying coverage despite the smaller overall body.
- Unique HEPASilent Technology setup that electrostatically charge particles first so it will adhere more to the filter.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Consistent airflow with strong dust, pollen and smoke CADR.
- Durable galvanized steel body that does not leak or release chemicals.
- Wi-Fi works well with all smartphones supported by the intuitive Blueair Friend app or link it with Amazon Alexa.
- 5 years manufacture warranty.
- Cheaper than 605 but still relatively expensive.
- High annual filter replacement cost.
- No pre-filter to protects other filters from large particles.
- No air quality monitoring and Auto mode by default (Requires additional Blueair Aware monitor purchase).
- Bulky even though its not the biggest unit in its classic range.
Austin Air HealthMate Plus is incredible in many ways. It has complete chemicals and odors filtration, it's dead easy to use and it has one of the lowest annual filter replacement cost in the segment. The strong chemicals filtration is made possible simply due to generous airflow, broad purifying coverage and the main contributor: 15 lbs. Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite Mixture filter. Fantastic against household chemicals such as VOCS, Ammonia and Formaldehyde, other airborne particles that is traveling with the chemicals would also be captured by the multi-stage pre-filter, medium filter or 60 ft HEPA filter.What's not so good about Austin Air HM Plus is the plain vanilla set that lacks any features including our favorite Auto mode and timer. It empty features is not something you can part with, consider the well-equipped AIRMEGA 300S.
- Great for all room sizes with its comprehensive purifying coverage.
- Trio pre-filter that reduce workload of the HEPA filter.
- Highly effective 15 lbs. Activated carbon zeolite filter with impregnated potassium iodide.
- Standard but proven 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter.
- Durable powdered coated steel housing with zero off-gassing.
- Super long filter lifespan of up to 5 years.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Undesirable noise level particularly on higher speed.
- Bulky and heavy although there is a caster to support.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires unscrewing the bottom part cover.
- Very empty on spec- lacks auto mode, indicator, air quality sensor, timer and remote control.
Solely based on AIRMEGA 300S exterior design would be a good enough reason to own this magnificent unit. If you include the dual pre-filter and Max2 filter (Green True HEPA filter + activated carbon filter), this air purifier should definitely be inside your bucket list. With airflow coming from both side and purifying coverage of 1256 sq. ft. (2 air charges hourly), the activated carbon filter reduces more than 99% of fumes and odors in the air including household chemicals, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), cooking odors, NH3 and CH3CHO. Other notable features includes Wi-Fi connectivity with smartphone pairing, front display air quality indicator and filter life timer.With so many pros on AIRMEGA 300S, what's stopping most people from owning one? The expensive price tag is one thing, subsequent annual filter replacement cost is also another big factor. If you want to save up more, consider the Wi-Fi less AIRMEGA 300 or the next item in the list.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying applicable area.
- Utilize 2 Pre-filter on each side of the air purifier that traps dust, pet hair while enhancing HEPA filter and Carbon filter lifespan.
- Highly-efficient allergen and odor filtration with the combined Green True HEPA and Activated Carbon Max2 filter.
- Convenience and practical Smart mode (Auto mode/ Sleep mode).
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifespan indicator.
- Remotely control when the air purifier on/ off via scheduler and timer.
- Real-time air quality display monitor.
- Reasonable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires one yearly change.
- 5 years warranty.
- Even more expensive based price than the non-Wi-Fi 300 version.
- App is slightly less refined compare with competitors app.
- Learning curve on setting up Wi-Fi connectivity for first time user.
- No built-in timer. Only accessible via Airmega app.
- Lacks autonomous sleep mode and real-time HEPA and Activated Carbon filter change indicator available in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer within its filtration list.
While any version of the BreatheSmart air purifier will do, Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 is "The balanced one" between value and filtration performance providing you opt for HEPA-FreshPlus filter upgrade pack. With the filter upgrade pack, BreatheSmart Fit50 strong airflow will effectively eliminate all chemicals, cooking odors and smoke link contaminants including VOCs. Other than the cosmetic customizable front panel, Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 also comes with many practical features to better manage your chemicals situation including the ever useful Auto mode, air quality indicator, timer and remote control and lifetime warranty. The longer than average filter lifespan is also a welcome features that would save you money and time in dealing with household pollutants.The main challenge of owning Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 as your chemical air purifier is definitely the cost. While is not the costliest in this list, you could go with air purifier like Winix HR1000 that is cheaper and comes with 5-stage filtration. Nevertheless the invaluable lifetime warranty and longer filter lifespan could work in BreatheSmart Fit50 favor in long-run.
- Multiple color option/ wood trim design front panel cover.
- Excellent purifying coverage/ airflow delivery although its less effective against standard BreatheSmart.
- Up to 3 specialist filter upgrades (HEPA-FreshPlus , HEPA-Silver, HEPA-OdorCell).
- Ionizer is optional that can be disable via the button.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) on regular use.
- Smart Filter replacement indicator that calculates filter lifespan based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- 4 fanspeed with Auto mode, SmartSensor, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with safe vent guard and locking control panel.
- Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- HEPA-Pure filter lacks odor filtration and optional filter with deodorization requires top up.
- No dedicated odor carbon filter to support the HEPA filter lifespan.
- Noise is clearly audible at higher speed although still bearable.
Featured multiple times in our "Best list" collection, Winix HR1000 is the perfect new-age representative of air purifier that standout in design, features and filtration performance. Its 400 sq. ft. purifying coverage is great for most places and the robust 286 cfm airflow speed is no pushover either. Filtration wise Winix HR1000 is also on track with the 5-stage filtration including dedicated Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter that works wonderfully well with HEPA filter and PlasmaWave. Combining the clean and modern exterior with front air quality indicator light and Wi-Fi support, Chemicals/ cooking odors such as VOCs, plastic off-gassing, tobacco smoke will not bypass against Winix HR1000 filtration.If you do not need or have not use of the Wi-Fi support (Winix Smart app), there is Winix HR950. For a slimmer tower profile air purifier, consider Winix NK105 (Wi-Fi enabled) or Winix NK100. Otherwise Winix 5500-2 would also do a bang up job at a much cheaper price point against chemicals and odors filtration.
- 5-stage filtration with PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Permanent washable pre-filter.
- True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter that is equally effective against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 5 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Dual sensors (Particle, VOC) with air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allow distant control and advanced scheduling (multiple fanspeed on any specific hours and day).
- Child lock feature that prevent children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive bundled filter replacement with yearly replacing needed.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glare up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as straightforward as it requires pressing on the WiFi button to enable the link up.
In today standard home, there is a reasonable percentage of chemicals in our indoor air that we might not even notice its existence. If you are tight on budget yet would need a reputable air purifier to clear some of the chemicals such as VOCs, look no further. First off, Winix 5500-2 cost at least half less than other chemical air purifiers with minimal compromisation on performance. Secondly it has a dedicated Advanced Granular Carbon Filter (AOC) that works great against household chemicals and cooking odors. Add the reasonably high CADR and purifying coverage into equation, there is no better budget-friendly air purifier to stand beside you against this never-ending clean air battle.As mentioned earlier, there is a dip in airflow performance and quality of the filtration but considering the price and addon features (timer, remote control), Winix PlasmaWave 5500-2 would not disappoint you.
- Wide purifying coverage with distinctive CADR and airflow distribution.
- 4-stage filtration with PlasmaWave technology.
- Washable carbon pre-filter that handles both dust, fur and unseen smokes and odors.
- True-HEPA filter that traps down to 0.3 micron size particles including bacteria and allergens.
- Remote control that could operate and control the fanspeed.
- 4 fanspeed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode that activates automatically when there is no light source.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1 year warranty).
- Lower spec carbon filter that generally a less effective version compare with standalone pre-filter and carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter change on the 3 months deodorization carbon filters .
- A far more reachable and rational choice in our book, IQAir HealthPro Plus V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter would have no issue tackling any stubborn household chemicals.
- Airgle air purifiers would fit the bill well with its enhanced special blend carbon filter.
- Blueair Pro series is yet another excellent but expensive chemical remover air purifier.
- Rabbit Air air purifiers with its Charcoal-Based filter is also worthy of second look.