7 Best Kitchen Air Purifier For Cooking Odor in 2023
Who is this for?A chef, kitchen helper, or a person that likes to cook would benefit from a kitchen air purifier. It is also best suited for a small home and apartment with an open kitchen, or an older home that doesn't come with a range hood/ exhaust fan. Last but certainly not least, it keeps household members healthy including pets, babies, and children.
2023 Best Kitchen Air Purifier For Cooking Odor
|BEST BUDGET||BEST OVERALL||BEST PERFORM-ANCEPERFORMANCE|
|Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifier||Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier||Dyson Pure Cool TP01 Air Purifier|
|Recommended Room Size|
|322 sq. ft. (30 m2)||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||800 sq. ft. (74 m2)|
|Dust 135 cfm (229 m3/h)|
Pollen 135 cfm (229 m3/h)
Smoke 135 cfm (229 m3/h)
|Dust 243 cfm (413 m3/h)|
Pollen 246 cfm (418 m3/h)
Smoke 232 cfm (394 m3/h)
|4.4 ⭐ out of 5||4.5 ⭐ out of 5||4.6 ⭐ out of 5|
How Do We Measure?
Not all air purifiers are suitable for kitchen use. Some might be too big while some lack the filtration to do so. To assist you in your buying journey, here are the key features you need to consider before buying a kitchen air cleaner.
- Size - Most kitchen has limited space, and you must ensure enough room to fit the air cleaner. Deciding where to place the machine will determine which air purifier you should get. For example, if you intend to use it on an island table or marble countertop, get a compact air purifier with a 360-degree air intake. A slim tower air purifier would do well for floor placement.
- Activated carbon filter - A must for kitchen use as it removes gases and odors from cooking plus VOCs, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, chlorine, and nitrogen dioxide chemical fumes. The better and thicker the adsorption media material, the more gaseous pollutants it can absorb.
- HEPA filter - A kitchen air purifier is not complete without one. A True HEPA filter traps 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns, including pet dander, mold, pollen, mildew, bacteria, and viruses harmful to our health. Only go with a model that offers a certified True HEPA filter rather than an inferior HEPA-type filter.
- Clean air delivery rate (CADR) - Measure the volume of clean air removed by an air cleaner in cubic feet per minute. Ideally, the air purifier should have at least 200 cfm. You can use it to calculate the room size it can cover. The higher the CADR output, the stronger the airflow and swifter air can be cleaned. Note that not all manufacturers participate in the test.
- Room size - Room size - Measure your kitchen size and make sure the air purifier has enough capacity to cover the entire room space at 2 air changes per hour. Refer to the manufacturer's recommended room size or manually calculate yourself via the CADR. It is always better to go big than go small.
- Features - The more features an air purifier has, the better value it brings to the table. Choose from VOC/ particle sensor, auto/ sleep mode, timer, nightlight, child lock, and remote control.
- Pricing - A kitchen air purifier price can vary based on the specific model. The rule of thumb is to buy something you can afford to own and maintain. Most models will last for ages, so you will need to account for the filter cost.
- Variable fan speeds and auto mode (optional) - Most air purifiers have a standard 3 fan speeds (Low, Med, High). Do not settle for less. You can run an air purifier at the highest speed during and after cooking. Revert to low fan speed when all kitchen smells are gone. Otherwise, switching to energy-saving auto mode automatically adjusts to a higher fan speed when an increased concentration level of airborne pollutants or smoke is detected via the sensor.
- Warranty - The longer the warranty period, the better your peace of mind. Never go with a kitchen air purifier that does not come with an official warranty.
- Fits island table (barely).
- Excellent air cleaning range.
- True HEPA filter.
- Activated carbon filter.
- AQ monitor, sensor, auto mode, timer.
- Less versatile for table use.
Need to prepare food that reeks yet don't want the whole house to smell? Levoit LV-PUR131 can be your savior deodorizer. The 14.5 x 18.5 x 7.2 inches dimension and 11.2 lb weight might be on the bigger side for small countertop use, you also leave it on the floor and it will work the same. The boxy, modern design is refreshing from the usual cylinder-shaped air cleaner. Build quality is up there with the best that guarantees no leakage or off-gassing. It is a Levoit after all.
The control panel is located at the top with a premium piano glossy finishing. You can easily control the 3 fan speeds, activate/ deactivate auto or sleep mode, and set the 1-12 hours adjustable timer. There is also a display button that disables all lights to reduce glaring during night use. Right at the center, the LED air quality display will display blue when air quality is perfect, green when is good, yellow when moderate, and red when air quality is bad. No complicated with the setting, everything is here as it should be.
Suitable medium to large room size, Levoit LV-PUR131 has a wide 322 square footage of purifying coverage. Ideal for a larger kitchen with integrated dining room or restaurant use. CADR is at measuring at 135 cfm for dust, pollen, and smoke. Being the "bigger" model here, Levoit LV-PUR131 has a slightly higher noise output equal to or less than 52 dB. There will be audible fan noise when running at a higher speed but it is still bearable for kitchen use. Power usage is around 40 wattage depending on the fan speed and operational hours. Again, slightly high for its segment but it's nothing when compared with kitchen appliances like fridge, oven.
The best air purifier for kitchen smells. Levoit LV-PUR131 house a bigger activated carbon filter that effectively removes carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and other toxic fumes from the kitchen. The HEPA filter capture 99.97% of non-smoke particles like pet dander, mold, and other household allergens in the air. There is also a fine preliminary filter that traps large particulates so they will not end up clogging the HEPA/ carbon filter. With Levoit LV-PUR131 running in the background, there will be less cooking smell sticking on your clothes and hair.
Levoit LV-PUR131 is a well-rounded air purifier but it can be slightly big for a small kitchen with no countertop. You should measure your kitchen size before considering getting one. Other minor complaints include the 6 months filter life and limited availability, especially during the holiday season.
In short: A slightly bigger desktop air purifier that returns with a stronger airflow and better filtration. Great for a large kitchen with a spacious big island table.
±179.99 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±40)
- Strong airflow output with auto/ sleep mode.
- True-HEPA filter.
- AOC carbon filter.
- PlasmaWave technology.
- AQ indicator, timer, and remote control.
- Slightly high filter cost.
- Does not fit island table.
A controversial inclusion in the best kitchen air purifier list, Winix 5500-2 is the biggest model included here. The 15 x 23.6 x 8.2 inches size is unappealing for a small kitchenette use. However, it works exceptionally well in a small apartment where it can cover both the living room and kitchen at the same time. The 15.4 lb weight is not the lightest but you can still move it around by grabbing on the back handle. Build quality and fitting are great as proven by the many positive feedbacks received from actual buyers.
Usability and features are the biggest highlights of the Winix 5500-2 air purifier. Right off the bat, you have 4 fan speeds plus auto mode and sleep mode. Auto mode automatically uses a higher fan speed when there is a high concentration level of pollutants detected. Sleep mode dims down indicator lights and sets the fan speed to low when the light sensor detects no ambiance light in the room. You can also check the room air quality level via the front color AQ monitor.
Other standard features include a filter change indicator that alerts you to replace the filter and a 1, 4, 8 hours shutdown timer. There is even a remote control bundled in the package. Not bad for an air purifier that costs less than 200.
House in a 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration that does not limit to smoke pollutants from a kitchen. Winix 5500-2 AOC Carbon filter absorbs smoke particulate matter in a household like carbon monoxide, lead, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, ammonia, radon, and VOCs. Supporting the deodorizer is the True HEPA filter that captures 99.97% of airborne particles in the air as small as 0.3 microns like mold, pollen, and pet dander. The permanent pre-filter blocks dust, hair, and PM10 from passing through. Finally, PlasmaWave technology emits Hydroxyls to dismantle the molecular structure of chemicals, germs, and odors for the filter to capture.
The side air inlets and back air outlet setup works well in Winix 5500-2 air purifier. It outputs an airflow delivery rate between 53 to 226 cfm airflow and can cover a room size of 360 square footage. As mentioned earlier, is it ideal for a small studio/ apartment that has a joined kitchen and living room. You can also use it in the bedroom, basement, garage, nursery home, and home office. CADR is equally impressive at 243 cfm for dust, 246 cfm for pollen, and 232 cfm for smoke.
Noise level can be subtle at 26.6 decibels at the lowest speed to a max of 60+ decibels at turbo speed. Not a big concern as the sound of your mixer, hood, and blender produce more noise than Winix 5500-2. The Energy Star certified power usage is between 5 to 90 wattages per hour depending on the fan speed it is running. Again compared with other kitchen appliances, Winix 5500-2 is energy-efficient even if you run without autonomous mode.
The biggest drawback of having Winix 5500-2 as a kitchen air purifier is the size. Since it is a floor model, you will have to leave it on the ground which will eat out a lot of space especially if you have a combined wet and dry kitchen. The annual filter cost is also on the higher side but that is understandably so given the bigger filter size. Consider the two cons carefully as both can be the game-changer.
In short: An inexpensive. deodorizing HEPA air purifier packed with tons of cool features. Unfortunately, the bulky size may not suit all types of kitchens.
±249.99 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±80)
- Air Multiplier technology.
- Bladeless design.
- Cools and cleans the air.
- Absorb kitchen smoke and odors.
- Remote control, oscillation.
- Very expensive.
- Not for table use.
A unique but special type of air cleaner for a kitchen. Dyson Pure Cool TP01 is a fan + air purifier combination that cleans and cools indoor air. While the tall 40 inches height is certainly not for countertop use, it is very useful to keep you cook while you're preparing hot dishes. The slim 7.7 inches diameter and 8.4 pounds weight allows you to effortlessly move it with you so you will not break a sweat. Just be careful not to trip on the wire when doing so.
Asthma and allergy friendly certified tower fan air purifier with a bottom 360 filtration base. The air cleaning begins when Dyson Pure Cool is turned on. The activated carbon granules neutralize toxin fumes, natural gas, and odors comining from propane stoves, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, cigarettes, VOCs, radon, and carbon dioxide. For non-smoke particles, the 360-degree vacuum-sealed glass HEPA filter removes 99.97% of particulates in the air down to 0.3 microns. Once you're done cooking and washing the dishes, you can set a time to turn off the machine so it will not run when nobody is around. With children and pet in mind, the air purifier will automatically shut down if is tipped over. A thoughtful safety feature that works well in the kitchen.
Dyson's renowned Air Multiplier technology is undoubtedly the best bladeless fan in the world. Powered by the asymmetrical hidden blades, the 10-speed mode and adjustable 70° wide oscillation allow clean air distribution of up to 800 square footage. Ideal for all sizes of a kitchen including one-bedroom apartment or studio. As for noise output, the Quiet Mark accreditation award means the fan will not generate noise louder than your coffee machine, kettle, or mixer. Power usage is also low with little impact on the electrical bill even if you run it for more than 8 hours a day.
The obvious drawback of having Dyson Pure Cool TP01 fan air purifier in the kitchen is the size. You will have to place it by the corner as it is too tall for island table countertop use. The expensive price tag is also another issue and this is already their basic variant with no intelligent purification. Filter replacement is similarly expensive but at least the availability will not be an issue.
In short: World's best bladeless air purifier fan that can remove harmful kitchen pollutants while cooling you. Perfect for cooking during the summer.
±399.99 $$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±69.99)
- Compact HEPA air purifier for less than 100.
- Decent air coverage and CADR.
- True HEPA filter.
- Granular Activated Carbon Filter.
- Upgradable filter.
- Child lock, timer, sleep mode.
- Lacks sensor, auto mode.
Need a dependable, small kitchen air purifier with a proven track record? The versatile LEVOIT Core 300 is your answer. At less than 100 dollars after discount, it comes with a full set of filtration at a compact cylinder body. The 8.7 x 14.2 x 8.7 inches size and 8.8 lb weight fit comfortably on a countertop without occupying much of your kitchen space. You can leave it in the kitchen during cooking and follow you to bed at night. Available in black or white, the build quality is solid with enhanced abrasion resistance on the internal parts. No signs of off-gassing, ozone, or leakage were detected.
LEVOIT Core 300 HEPA air purifier is highly versatile and easy to operate. The top controls come with a standard 3 speeds plus sleep mode that can be activated manually. Just set the speed you want and you can leave it running on its own. There is also a filter life indicator and a 4 preset timer that can be set to shut down the machine after an interval time. Child lock is our favorite feature that locks the controls so children cannot meddle with the settings.
LEVOIT Core 300 Vortexair Technology and 360-degree air inlet help circulate air at all angles. At full speed, it can purify up to 219 square footage of room space at 5 air changes per hour. You can easily double the range by reducing the clean air cycle frequency. CADR tallies with the airflow output at 140 cfm for dust, 145 cfm for pollen, and 141 cfm for smoke. More than sufficient to cover an entire kitchen.
LEVOIT Core 300 uses a 3-stage mechanical filtration to captures all types of kitchen pollutants. The granular activated carbon filter neutralizes gases and odors like CO, NO that escaped from the range hood. For better smoke filtration, you can upgrade the all-in-one filter with a Pet Allergy Filter, Toxin Absorber Filter (recommended), or MB Filter. The japan-imported True HEPA filter will focus on capturing 99.97% of airborne impurities like dust mites, mold, and pet dander. The ultra-fine pre-filter traps dust, lint, hair, and protect the HEPA/ carbon filter from being damaged by the large particles.
With QuietKEAP Technology and a high-precision bearing AC fan motor, Core 300 noise level is completely silent at only 24 dB (low speed). Running it at high speed will output a consistent 50 dB white noise. You can leave it running while you watch YouTube cooking videos without any noise distraction. As an Energy Star Rated model, energy usage is around 45 wattages hourly. Very energy-efficient when compared with kitchen appliances like oven, microwave, and refrigerator.
It's really hard to find fault with Levoit Core 300 air purifier. The shorter 6-8 months filter life might be one, but that will cost you less than 40 dollars annually for the replacement set. The lack of sensor and auto mode is a big miss but again, this is an affordable small air purifier for kitchen use. The more we talk about Levoit Core 300, the fewer flaws we will find
In short: An budget-friendly, compact HEPA air purifier that removes various types of kitchen pollutions in the air. You can even upgrade the filter set for more comprehensive smoke and chemical removal.
±99.99 $$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±20-40)
- Compact 4-stage air cleaner.
- Medical-grade HEPA filter.
- Carbon filter with carbon pellet.
- Anion generator, timer.
- Lifetime warranty.
- No auto mode.
- High filter cost.
A compact, medical-grade air purifier that everyone could afford. Medify MA-15 is just the right fit for countertop placement yet retaining all the performance to deal with kitchen smell. The clean but yet functional design is surrounded by an air inlet upfront and a top air outlet. At a short 15.5 inches in height and 9.7 inches in diameter, it is one of the smallest certified medical air purifiers out there. The 6.6 pounds lightweight helps with portability where you can use it for room to room purifying.
Available in white, silver, and black, Medify MA-15 air purifier's simple control layout is easy to get the hang of. There are 3 adjustable fan speeds, timer, and a filter change indicator as standard. There is also a child lock function to prevent children from altering the setting while you're busy in the kitchen. Overall, the build quality is out there with the best with no mismatching or off-gassing. The lifetime warranty will assure you worry-free ownership for years to come.
For a kitchen that uses heat sources like a stove or wood to cook food, Medify MA-15 will contain the smoke and odor from spreading around the house. This is achievable by the carbon filter with carbon pellets that remove harmful gases pollutants like carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, lead, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and ozone. For non-smoke particulate matters, you'll have the H13 HEPA filter that traps 99.9% of irritants as small as 0.1 microns like mold spore, pollen, pet dander, dust mite, bacteria, and viruses. There is also an outer pre-filter that protects both filters from being damaged by sharp airborne objects.
Do not be fool by Medify MA-15 air purifier compact size. It can cover up to 330 square footage at 2 air changes per hour. Suitable for most kitchen sizes including those in a bungalow, villa, or giant mansion. Clean air delivery rate is at an average of 150 cfm for dust, pollen, and smoke. As for noise level, Medify MA-15 runs quietly at 35 dBA to a max 51 dBA white noise. It will not disturb your sleep let alone cooking. Energy usage is only at 18 wattages hourly so feel free to leave it on 24x7 like you would do with a refrigerator.
Medify MA-15 does have a few negatives that can hold you back on the purchase. The notable one is the short filter life of just 2,500 hours or every 3-4 months. Replacing the filter could cost you all the way up to 140 dollars annually. The lack of sensor, AQ indicator, and auto mode is a shame but understandably so given this is Medify entry-level model. If the quoted maintenance cost is acceptable, you will not find fault in this medical-grade kitchen air purifier.
In short: A compact, affordable H13 air purifier that is perfect for kitchen use. The superb smoke filtration does resulted in a high filter cost so keep that in mind.
±119.00 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±70-140)
- Sleek and compact.
- Under 100 dollars.
- 360 degrees filtration system.
- True HEPA filter with Protective Net filter.
- Activated carbon filter.
- Nightlight, timer, auto/ sleep mode.
- Sensor lacks accuracy.
The prettiest kitchen air purifier in the market that deodorizes well. TREDY TD-1500 sleek exterior will compliment any modernly decorated kitchen design. The 8.5 diameters and 15 inches height will look good on a marble countertop while it's performing the air cleaning. It weighs under 6.6 pounds which helps boost the movability for those that use it in the bedroom at night. Build quality is close to perfect with no misalignment considering its price point.
TREDY TD-1500 air purifier control panel is located at the top for easy access. You can set the 3 fan speeds, enable sleep mode, or Auto mode that only uses a higher speed when there is an increased concentration level of nearby air pollutants. There is also a filter change light that reminds you to change the filter cartridge and a 3 pre-set timer for energy management. Right at the center, there is an air quality indicator light that will display blue when the air is good, drop to green, orange, and red when the air is heavily polluted. Finally, the optional nightlight with 2 level brightness provides night navigation, comfort, and security for children that are sleeping alone.
Designed for island table countertop use, the U.S. patented 360° air filtration system absorbs smoke and odors at every angle. TREDY TD-1500 can cover up to 200 square footage at 4 times the air refresh cycle per hour. Double the coverage for 400 square footage with a reduced 2 air refresh cycles per hour. CADR is averaging around 100 cfm for smoke. Not the quickest but it can help reduce the cooking smell from traveling to the living room.
Not more feeling embarrassed by the fishy stench when you have guests at home. The dedicated active carbon filter absorbs natural gas and food odor that are not captured by the range hood. The true HEPA filter traps 99.97% of microscopic particles as small as 0.3 microns and prevents the food from getting contaminated by mold and mildew. The permanent pre-filter will block out dust, hair, and other large particles. Lastly, there is a protective net filter that traps any lingering particles in the air from polluting the kitchen area.
Noise output is at a whispering 28 dB on low speed with audible white noise at high speed. Power usage is equally as efficient when compared with other kitchen appliances. We recommend keeping it at max speed while you're cooking and set the hourly timer to turn it off once you're done cooking.
As a kitchen air purifier, TREDY TD-1500 is pretty much perfect that serves its exact purpose. You could argue the 6-8 months filter life is costly to replace or the small sensor that sometimes lacks accuracy. Those are the quirks that are unavoidable from a small countertop air purifier especially one that costs less than 100 dollars. As long as the filter is replaced in time, it will not deter its deodorization performance.
In short: An affordable, compact HEPA air purifier for the kitchen that comes with a built-in sensor and auto mode. No other models can compete with its value.
±99.99 $$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±44-58)
- Fits tabletop.
- Cost less than 100.
- True HEPA filter.
- Activated carbon filter.
- Nightlight, timer.
- Limited purifying coverage.
- 3 months 3-in-1 filter lifespan.
Bissell MYair personal air purifier is great at keeping kitchen odor contained when you have guests coming over your small abode. This sleek air cleaning machine comes in at a small 8.3 diameters and 13 inches in height. The small space occupancy allows it to be placed on an island table, cabinet, and work desk without obstructing the flow. You can also move it around for multi-location purifying thanks to its light 4.6 lb weight. Available in purple and white color, fitting is tight with zero off-gassings and ozone emission.
Usability is great with Bissell MYair Air Purifier 2780A. You can cycle between low and high speeds, set the 1, 4, 8 hours timer, and reset the filter change indicator. The optional blue night light creates a nice ambiance in the kitchen and can also be useful for night use. Simply put, it's up to you where and how to run the air cleaner.
Get rid of lingering smelly food for good. Bissell 2780A MYair Personal Air Purifier runs on a reliable 3-in-1 filtration. The active carbon filter absorbs Smoke pollutants released from propane stoves, food, steamer, slow cooker that is not under the range hood. For microbes like germs, mold, and mildew, the HEPA filter removes 99.97% of fine particles as small as 0.3 microns before they contaminate the food. The compulsory pre-filter helps reduce the workload of HEPA and carbon filter by blocking out large contaminants. The entire purification is ozone-free and safe for kitchen use.
Dedicated for small room size use, Bissell MYair Air Purifier can reach up to 100 square footage of purifying. Ideal for kitchen, bedroom, playroom, or walk-in wardrobe. The silent operation is another strong suit of Bissell MYair Personal Air Purifier 2780A. At low speed, it generates a whispering noise of 30 dB(A) to a white noise territory of 46 db(A). You will not hear a sound when you're busy whisking, chopping, or grilling your steak. Power usage is also energy-efficient with auto and sleep mode in place. You never have to turn it off even after cooking and cleaning the kitchen.
While the 2 biggest cons with Bissell are not applicable for kitchen use, we should mention them here for your own evaluation. First off, the purifying coverage is rather limited for small spaces like the kitchen or bedroom. Second, the filter life is only estimated for 3 months of use. Other similar segment models offered longer-lasting filters for up to 6 months. Again, for a kitchenette air purifier that costs less than 100 dollars, it's a worthy trade-off.
In short: A great 3-in-1 kitchen air purifier that comes built-in sensor, auto mode, and night light. What else could you ask for more?
±89.99 $$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±64)
Can Air Purifiers Remove Cooking Odors?
Yes, an air purifier can get rid of kitchen smells with an activated carbon filter. Activated carbon filters are made of small pieces of carbon in either granular or powdered block form to trap gaseous pollutants. The chemical adsorption material in the carbon filter neutralizes all kinds of food smells and lingering smoke coming from frying, grilling, boiling, and pan-searing. Air purifiers can also contain rotten egg smells, fishy odor, curry, burnt food, dirty pots, and leftover dishes before spreading around the home.
Do not let burnt food smell ruin your day. Kitchen is the best place for a standalone air purifier using air filtration. It draws in lingering smells that would otherwise spoil your mood, overlap the food's aroma, turn off guests, and ruin your precious furniture. However, not all types of air purifiers would do the job. When you are hunting for an air purifier to deal with cooking odor, look out for the below types:
- HEPA air purifier - Consists of a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter that captures gaseous and non-gaseous particles. The safest option to pick.
- Ionizer - Discharge negative ions that attract other dirty pollutants in the air. The contaminants will become heavier and fall all over the room if you do not have an air purifier in place to capture them.
- Electrostatic precipitator - Similar method to air ionizer that discharges ions to pull down pollutants. The only difference is electrostatic precipitator comes with a collector plate that will assist in trapping all the fallen pollutants inside.
- UV air purifier - Emits UV radiation that eliminates biological pollutants by modifying DNA/ RNA. It is effective against bacteria and viruses but struggles against large particles, smoke, and odor.
- Photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) - A NASA technology that combines UV light + titanium dioxide to kill microorganisms, including mold, bacteria, and viruses.
- Ozonator/ Ozone generator - Not recommended by health agencies as ozone can cause numerous health issues. It emits ozone by dividing oxygen (O2) into a single atom and unite with other oxygen molecules. The ozone gas will react with other smoke particles creating harmful toxic fumes. If the air purifier comes with an optional or UV-light function, switch it off during cooking.
Can You Leave A Kitchen Air Purifier On All The Time?
Yes, you can leave your air purifier on all the time for a constant flow of clean air. It is designed to run 24x7 efficiently with low energy consumption. An air purifier will not work effectively if is running for only a couple of hours per day. Lingering pollutants and odors will slowly return when it is turned off.
How Do I Keep My Kitchen Air Clean?
An air purifier works best for a kitchen to eliminate cooking smells quickly. However, it is not the only way. Here are some pro tips on how to keep your kitchen fresh and clean.
- Invest in a powerful kitchen hood or exhaust fan - Range hood is an essential home appliance to remove cooking smells quickly. More so than an air purifier.
- Open windows and doors - It will circulate fresh air in, and air out odors. A poorly ventilated kitchen has lingering contaminants and odors with no chance of escaping.
- Wash all dirty dishes and pots - By hand or by dishwasher. Do it after your meal instead of leaving them pilling up until the next day. The accumulated smell can be nauseating, especially on heavy dishes.
- The good ol’ vinegar and baking soda - A safe and natural way to remove the cooking smell that will not go away. Apply a generous amount to the stubborn liquid substances for a couple of minutes and scrub them off with a damp cloth. Also, leave a bowl of white vinegar or baking soda on the countertop or oven overnight to absorb stubborn odors.
- Maintain an ideal humidity level (30% to 50%) - You can do so with a dehumidifier to keep excess moisture down so it will not mix up with the gaseous pollutants.
- Mask it with pleasant, aroma spices - A quick and temporary solution to mask the unpleasant cooking smell from essential oil, French Lavender indoor plants to the scent of freshly brewed coffee. Air freshener is the last draw when nothing else works.
- Boil lemons - Be generous. Use at least 2 lemon steam to neutralize pungent odors after heavy cooking.
- Overnight solution - For light cooking odor, leave a bowl of coffee grounds, potpourri, baking soda, cinnamon sticks, citrus, cloves, or charcoal on a stovetop.
- Refresh kitchen sink - Rotted food, musty mold, and debris contribute to the gross smell. Worst still, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria and pests. Always clean your sink and unclog it periodically to flush away the trapped residues.
Will A Kitchen Air Purifier Help With Grease Smell?
An air purifier will remove the grease smell via its activated carbon or charcoal filter. Consider getting one if you have a kitchen that is often oily from heavy cooking and frying. Wash the greasy residue with soap and water. Rinse and repeat until it is spotless. Disinfectant, baking soda, and distilled white vinegar will break down stubborn grease. Apply on the excess grease and let it soak for a couple of minutes before wiping the dirty bits off. Avoid using bleach and other toxic chemicals that can be dangerous when inhaled.
Can HEPA Filters Remove Kitchen Odors?
A HEPA filter can only remove non-smoke particles causing odors such as germs, mold, and pet dander. You will need an activated carbon filter to remove smoke and odors. Both filters complement each other; that’s why you will see a good air purifier comes with the pair.
What Is The Best Air Purifier For Kitchen Odors?
If you want to remove cooking smells fast but have limited space to do so, consider getting a LEVOIT Core 300, Medify Air MA-15, Tredy TD-1500, or Bissell MYair 2780A. Every one of these air purifiers comes with a decent activated carbon filter and purifying coverage. With the compact size, you can easily find space to put the air cleaner in a kitchen. If you can afford a larger air purifier for the kitchen, consider buying Levoit LV-PUR131, Winix 5500-2, or Dyson Pure Cool TP01. It offers greater smoke and odor filtration, wider coverage, plus tons of supporting features like timer, AQI, auto mode, fan. Feel free to learn more about each air purifier via our best kitchen air purifier page.
Do not let burnt food smell ruin your day. Air purifiers do work in the kitchen by distributing odor-free fresh air. It draws in lingering cooking smells that would otherwise spoil your mood, overlap the food's aroma, turn off guests, and ruin your precious furniture. There are also other air filtration and ventilation systems to deal with cooking odors as such:
Are Kitchen Air Purifiers Safe?
A Kitchen air purifier that utilizes filtration like HEPA and carbon filter is 100% safe for the home. There is a wide selection of AHAM and CARB approved models that will not produce harmful chemical byproducts that mix with other smoke particles during cooking.
Is It OK To Leave Kitchen Air Purifier On All Night?
It is OK to leave a kitchen air purifier on all night, even when you are done cooking. It will work just like every other air cleaner that helps maintain indoor air quality and stop airborne pollutants from coming back. So feel free to let it operate 24x7, but be sure to check on the HEPA and activated carbon filter's condition that it is fit to do so.
How Much Energy Does An Air Purifier For Kitchen Use?
In general, an air purifier uses 10-30 watts of electricity, which vary based on the size and airflow output. Using $0.15 per kilowatt-hour as a benchmark, your monthly electrical bill will increase by $2-4 or $24-48 annually. Very efficient compared to other kitchen appliances like oven, microwave, or refrigerator.
How To Use A Kitchen Air Purifier Effectively?
An air purifier used in the kitchen can get dirty quickly if not maintained properly. To protect the filter and prevent a dip in performance, here are a few simple tricks to using an air purifier in the kitchen to ensure the product's longevity.
- Never shut it off - An air purifier is required to be on all the time for the best result. It will ensure indoor air quality stays healthy and prevent airborne pollutants from building up.
- Replace all filters - Applicable to all air purifiers that rely mainly on filters. Check the indicator light regularly and swap it out with a brand-new filter set when it is time.
- Close to the pollution sources - This allows the air purifier to clean the air much quicker and more effectively. Remember to leave a couple of feet for the air purifier to breathe. Avoid places like corners of the wall and underneath a window.
- Close all windows/ doors - It is a necessity for an air purifier to function properly and effectively. Clean air will continue circulating in the room with no chance of leaking out and being replaced by outdoor pollutants.
How Long Do Kitchen Air Purifiers Last?
Depending on the model, a well-maintained air purifier used in the kitchen will last 5-10 years. That means it will need constant cleaning and filter change so the trapped particles will not end up damaging the air purifier. As for the air filters, HEPA and carbon filters typically have a usage life of 6-12 months before the need for replacement.
Do HEPA Filters Remove Cooking Odors?
HEPA filters can't remove cooking smoke and odors in the kitchen, according to the EPA. You will need chemical adsorption activated carbon filter to remove cooking odors effectively.
The Pros And Cons Of Kitchen Air Purifiers
There are plenty of solid reasons why kitchen air purifiers are perfect for removing cooking odors VS a few controversial ones. If you are still undecided if a kitchen air purifier is necessary, here are the pros and cons of having one.
- No more smelly homes - It prevents cooking odors from traveling far and stinking up the house. An air purifier will also capture harmful contaminants from other parts of the home.
- Improve indoor air quality - Air purifiers will ensure indoor air remains in a healthy state all the time. You will breathe better, sleep better, and enjoy a more productive day. Common allergies will be gone by the wind.
- Multi-purpose - It's not just for kitchen use. Air purifiers can also be used in the bedroom, basement, garage, or living room. There are no limits on where you want to place the air cleaner.
- Easy operation - Most air purifiers used in the kitchen are silent and relatively compact. It will not hinder your cooking flow.
- Energy-efficient - Air purifiers are cost-effective and consume less energy than any other kitchen appliance. You can run it all day comfortably as it should.
- Still require a range hood - An kitchen air purifier can only assist with the cooking odor removal. It is not a direct replacement.
- Recurring filter cost - Like every other air purifier, HEPA and carbon pre-filter must constantly change to handle the excess smoke and odors. There's no way to skip around this.
- Restricted capacity - In order to fit an air purifier in a kitchen, you will need to opt for a smaller model. That means performance and features will have to take a hit.
Compare Best Kitchen Air Purifier For Cooking Odor
|No||Image||Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Score||Filtration||Coverage||Fan |
|Dimension||Weight||Dust CADR||Pollen CADR||Smoke CADR||Pre-filter||HEPA filter||Carbon filter||Ionizer||UV light||Other filter||All-in-one filter||Noise level||Power output||Timer/ Scheduler||Sensors||Warranty||Auto mode||Remote control||Child lock||ENERGY STAR||Wi-Fi/ BTBluetooth||AQI||Filter indicator|
|1||Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifier|
|4.4||3-stage||322 sq. ft. (30 m2)||3|
14.5 x 18.5 x 7.2 in
(36.8 x 47 x 18.3 cm)
|11.2 lb (5.1 kg)||135 cfm (229 m3/h)||135 cfm (229 m3/h)||135 cfm (229 m3/h)|
Fine Preliminary Filter
True HEPA filter
Activated Carbon Filter
LV-PUR131-RF Replacement Filter
|<= 52 dB||40 W||1 - 12 hours||AQ sensors||2 years|
|2||Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier|
|4.5||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||4|
15 x 23.6 x 8.2 in
(38.1 x 59.9 x 20.8 cm)
|15.4 lb (7 kg)||243 cfm (413 m3/h)||246 cfm (418 m3/h)||232 cfm (394 m3/h)|
True HEPA filter
AOC Advanced Granular Carbon Filter
Filter H 116130
|26.6-60+ dB||5-90 W||1, 4, 8 hours||VOC sensors (Air quality)||2 years|
|3||Dyson Pure Cool TP01 Air Purifier|
|4.6||2-stage||800 sq. ft. (74 m2)||10|
7.7 x 40 x 7.7 in
(19.6 x 101.6 x 19.6 cm)
|8.4 lb (3.8 kg)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Dyson 360° Glass HEPA Replacement Filter
Activated Carbon filter
|<60 W||Variable||2 years|
|4||LEVOIT Core 300 Air Purifier|
|4.3||3-stage||219 sq. ft. (20 m2)||3|
8.7 x 14.2 x 8.7 in
(22.1 x 36.1 x 22.1 cm)
|8.8 lb (4 kg)||140 cfm (238 m3/h)||145 cfm (246 m3/h)||141 cfm (240 m3/h)|
H13 True HEPA filter
6 - 8 months
High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter
6 - 8 months
LEVOIT Core 300-RF 3-in-1 Replacement Filter
|24–50 dB||45 W||2/ 4/ 6/ 8 hours||2 years|
|5||Medify Air MA-15 Air Purifier|
|3.9||4-stage||330 sq. ft. (31 m2)||3|
9.7 x 15.5 x 9.7 in
(24.6 x 39.4 x 24.6 cm)
|6.6 lb (3 kg)||88 cfm (150 m3/h)||88 cfm (150 m3/h)||88 cfm (150 m3/h)|
3 - 4 months
2x HEPA H13 filters
3 - 4 months
2x Activated Carbon Filters
3 - 4 months
MA-15 Replacement Filter Set
3 - 4 months
|35-51 dBA||18 W||0-8 hours||Lifetime|
|6||TREDY TD-1500 Air Purifier|
|4||4-stage||200 sq. ft. (19 m2)||3|
8.5 x 15 x 8.5 in
(21.6 x 38.1 x 21.6 cm)
|6.6 lb (3 kg)||100 cfm (170 m3/h)||100 cfm (170 m3/h)||100 cfm (170 m3/h)|
6 - 8 months
H13 True HEPA filter
6 - 8 months
Activated Carbon Filter
6 - 8 months
6 - 8 months
TD-1500 Replacement cartridge
6 - 8 months+- 29
|28 dB||2, 4, 8 Hours||1 year|
|7||Bissell MYair Air Purifier 2780A Air Purifier|
|4||3-stage||100 sq. ft. (9 m2)||3|
8.27 x 12.2 x 8.27 in
(21 x 31 x 21 cm)
|4.6 lb (2.1 kg)|
Activated carbon filter
2801 MyAir 3-in-1 Replacement Filter
|30-46 db(A)||1, 4, 8 hours||1-year|