What causes pet allergies?
Harmless proteins in pet dander, urine, saliva from your dog/ cat could lead to allergies especially if you have an over-sensitive immune system. While shedd hair is not the main culprit irritant, it is the allergens traveling with hair that eventually cling on to your clothes, sofa, wall, and home for months if no action is taken. There are also people hyper-sensitive to odors that often trigger symptoms like chronic sneezing or nausea when the smell picked up. Other common symptoms for pet allergies include inflamed eyes, stuffy nose, itchy skin, wheezing, breathing issue and asthma. A final point worth highlighting is that allergies could come and go anytime while some owners would only start developing allergies after a certain stage of life.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?First and foremost all the air cleaner listed here is perfect for both pet's owner and their furry animal. Owner that are suffering from asthma linked allergies coming from airborne pet dander, hair or odors would benefit from this list as well. Lastly, newborn, children or elderly that would appreciate an allergen-free environment due to their weaker immune system.
Best Air Purifier for Pets 2019
Alen BreatheSmart might be featured in this list due to its overall purifying performance, to be more precise it's the pet odor neutralizer HEPA-OdorCell filter that won our heart. Unlike most air purifier that comes with multiple sets of filters, Alen BreatheSmart uses only 1 all-in-one filter (upgradable) that would cover from top to bottom. Based on your environment and types of pets, you can go with the default HEPA-Pure filter that focuses on airborne particles or HEPA-FreshPlus for enhanced smoke & VOCs. For odors and allergies related issue, choose HEPA-OdorCell filter as it is filled with Alen's patented Molecular Conversion Powder that specialized in destroying smells at a molecular level. Again, as each air purifiers has a different set of functionality and price range, we recommend you to pick the right Alen air purifier according to your room size and opt for the HEPA-OdorCell filter upgrade as it is the best filter to remove pet hair, dander and odors.There are many good things about Alen BreatheSmart air purifier that we yet to touch on including the personalizable front cover, let’s jump straight to the few downsides of so you know what you are dealing with. Treating it as a sheer pet air purifier, Alen BreatheSmart higher than average price tag without even including the 4 optional HEPA-OdorCell addon. It is also rather noisy at max speed and lacks a dedicated activated carbon filter that would probably increase filter lifespan to further remove animal odors and bacteria.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
While not the biggest tower air purifier in its class, GermGuardian AC5250PT is perhaps the best air purifier for pet hair and dander to date that you can squeeze in a tight corner. What makes it tick is a 4-stage filtration that includes permanent mesh filter plus charcoal pre-filter for cat's hair and odors, True HEPA Fresh filter for allergens, UV-C Light plus GermGuardian special Pet Pure treatment that destroys airborne viruses, bacteria, and germ. The combined HEPA filtration makes GermGuardian AC5250PT super effective against pet allergies that float within your cat or dog hair. With plenty of filtration strength in its pocket, there is also a convenience 5 fan speeds and a programmable timer for you to fiddle around with.Yes, GermGuardian AC5250PT is well-made and the only tower air purifier that barely takes up any space. It does have its downside and is unsurprisingly down to the mediocre purifying coverage, average in removing musky, urine odors, and slow airflow delivery rate. The slightly over-bright indicator light might also be annoying for some but overall, we can't fault too much as GermGuardian AC5250PT holds its value well for a mid-range pet dander removal machine.
- Affordable price for a HEPA tower purifier which cost less than half of other competitors is offering.
- Complete 4-stage filtration with UV-light and 5 fanspeed.
- Effective True HEPA with Pet Pure that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria.
- Proven UV-C light that would assist in eliminating airborne germs and bacteria.
- Comes with practical features such as timer, filter replacement indicator and digital display.
- UV function can be deactivated via a button.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Limited purifying coverage together with average airflow delivery rate.
- Annual filter replacement cost (with Pet Pure filter C) around the size of a brand new unit.
- Lacks air quality sensors and Auto mode.
- Uses combine Charcoal pre-filter rather than dedicated carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter reset alert that requires small object like paperclip to click and reset the button.
Austin Air Pet Machine design might not age well in today standard, it is still one of the best air purifier for pet hair/ odor with very low annual filter maintenance cost. The trio pre-filter (outer mesh, inner pre-filter, and medium filter) ensure no fur or other allergies would be able to leave the air purifier. Continue the trend is the impregnated carbon/zeolite mixture carbon filter enhanced to tackle smelly odors. Supporting all the above filtration is the final stage 60 sq.ft. True Medical Grade HEPA filter that captures all micron-size particles mainly germ and bacteria. Austin Air Pet Machine is particularly great in controlling dog/ cat odors before the stench spread through the house. As a pet dander air purifier, it also has one of the widest purifying coverage (1500 sq. ft.) at 2 airflow release hourly.Despite the super long-life all-in-one filter that could last up to 5 years on normal use, what you will not get from this bulky air purifier is Auto mode, air quality monitor/ sensor, timer or any modern features you could think of. Fan noise is louder than we prefer and it's also very bulky which is not great if you have very limited space. Bypassing all that plus the expensive price tag, Austin Air Pet Machine would be an excellent low-maintenance air purifier.
- Extensive purifying coverage for pet and non-pets owner.
- Dual first-stage filtration (Outer mesh filter and large particle pre-filter) in trapping pet hair.
- 15 lbs. carbon filter with zeolite and special additive ammonia designed to absorb ammonia and pet odors.
- Double filtration (medium filter + 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter) for medium to smaller size particles.
- Durable coated steel housing with zero off-gassing.
- Super long filter lifespan of up to 5 years.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Undesirable background noise level on all speed.
- Bulky and heavy although there is built-in casters.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires flipping over the machine to remove bottom cover.
- Relatively empty on features. No auto/ sleep mode, indicator, air quality sensor, timer.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 (not limited to SPA-700A) is another regular sitter in most of the best list here for many good reasons. The exceptional 360° circulation plus 6-stage filtration will handle all spectrum of airborne irritants, starting with the pre-filter that remove first-stage particles like particularly dog hair or cat hair. With most pet hair trapped, the trio effort between MinusA2 HEPA filter, Medium filter, and the optional Pet Allergy Customized Filter will get rid of animal dander along with its travel buddies: germs and bacteria. As for stinky odor, the inclusive MinusA2 Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter would have no problem eliminating all foul smells from your canine and feline. The final Negative Ion Generator is there to round up Rabbit Air MinusA2 outstanding filtration. There are also many practical and cosmetic perks available in Rabbit Air MinusA2 that we will skip through as you can learn more in the product details review.Nitpicking on Rabbit Air MinusA2 (SPA-700A) disadvantages, the expensive price tag is definitely on everyone mind, along with the bulkiness despite being wall-mountable. There are also few might argue that Rabbit Air MinusA2 is not effective against foul odor from cat or dog, we would beg to differ.
- Comprehensive 6-stage filtration with all-round air inlet.
- Cheap annual filter replacement cost.
- Beautiful, wall-mountable square design with mood light color bar.
- Many customized front panel design to choose from (optional purchase).
- Effective trio front line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- Customizable filter, AC carbon filter and Ionizer to top if off the air purifier filtration depth.
- 5 fanspeed with strong airflow performance and purifying coverage.
- Trio sensors (Particle/ Odor/ Light) thus the existence of Air quality indicator and Auto mode.
- Sensitive and unobtrusive Sleep mode that will still adjust the fan speed based on surrounding air quality.
- Five-year warranty with free return if not satisfied.
- All the bells and whistle translate to a very expensive price tag.
- Airflow purifying coverage and CADR is not on par with the price you paid.
- Heavy for a wall-mountable air purifier (more than 19 lb).
Small and cheap, Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet 04384 is a tabletop air purifier that works best if you have cats that hang around your work desk. Despite being the cheapest air purifier here, Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact manage to squeeze in a permanent HEPA-grade filter in its small body ensuring your work desk stays free from cat hair, animal dander, and other allergies. On top of that, there is also 2 carbon zeolite filters standing by to neutralize any cat odors stench within its limited coverage. Filter replacement cost is also very affordable that only require quarterly replacing although regular maintenance is very much needed to clear off the fast-fill cat hair.The downside for such a compact, specific targeted air purifier is obviously the rather weak overall filtration performance. Purifying coverage is very limited and airflow delivery rate is poor which as the title suggested, is only good as a subsidiary/ tabletop purifying machine on top of your main air cleaner.
- Very affordable price .
- Permanent HEPA grade filter that can be easily maintain with routine vacuuming.
- Compact and portable body.
- Versatile design where you can place the unit horizontally or vertically without ever affecting the airflow efficiency.
- Generally low noise output.
- Small airflow coverage with poor airflow delivery rate.
- Weak filtration (at only 3 micron) with gradual declining on the effectiveness of the permanent HEPA-filter .
- Ineffective against strong odor and chemicals.
- Plain vanilla unit with no features like timer, air quality status, Auto mode.
- Comes only with 1 year warranty (some basic unit offer up to 2).
Oldie but goodie, Winix 9500 Ultimate PlasmaWave has once voted the best air purifier for pet hair/ dander in the world. It might be in the market for quite some time, it still possesses the charm that most owner would be looking for. Powered by a 5-stage filtration that will no doubt trap any types of pet odors and allergies in its surrounding, the dependable pre-filter, and True HEPA filter would get rid of cat dander, dog hair, and other associated allergies from flowing out. As for animal urine odors, the dedicated Coated Deodorization (CD) Carbon Filter would easily eliminate foul smell coming from your cat and dog. Together with Winix PlasmaWave Technology, you will find particle sensors, built-in timer, auto/ sleep mode and remote control all ready to enhance on Winix 9500 pet air purifier usability.On to the shortcomings, Winix 9500 is proven an excellent air purifier for dog hair, ultimately its design is clearly dated a few years back with many new-coming furballs targeted air purifiers that can do the same or even better job. Airflow purifying range is not great either and a rather low CADR output when compared with similar price range models. If you want the latest model with all the new fancy tech, consider the following hair remover machine.
- Advanced 5-Stage PlasmaWave filtration with separate pre-filter and carbon filter.
- A more efficient True-HEPA filter on small particles thanks to the pre-capture by the pre-filter.
- Upgraded advanced Granular Carbon Filter that is more effective than regular Activated Carbon Filter found in lower series.
- Both Anti-Bacterial Pre-Filter and Carbon Filter are washable.
- 4 selectable fanspeed plus Auto mode that works well with the sensors.
- Comes with the handy remote control.
- Built-in timer with pre-set 1, 4, 8 hours off option.
- Smart particle sensor that consist of dust, odor and even light detection.
- Detail front digital display with separate indicator on dust air quality and odor level.
- Only "1 year" warranty compared with other Winix Signature series air purifiers that offered up to 5 years.
- Limited replacement filters as it is discontinued despite sharing the same filters as Winix 9500.
- Improved but still far from the category best in CADR and purifying coverage given its price tag.
- CleanCel Anti-Bacterial Treatment is not as useful as other filtration.
Like Winix HR1000, Winix NK105 is more competitively priced than Winix 9500, has better CADR, wider airflow purifying coverage and with the same filtration efficiency against common allergies. The outer washable pre-filter is great at cleaning up congested airborne dust, dog and cat hair sheds. Moving inside is the trio CD Carbon Filter, True-HEPA filter and PlasmaWave technology that when combined, it can eradicate all kinds of pet dander and odor that often bring unwanted germs and bacteria to the table. In addition to that, Winix NK105 also support WiFi control where you could pair up with your smartphone and remotely control literally everything on the purifying machine.It’s not all perfect though. Winix NK105 might be a reliable air purifier for allergens and odor capturing, the annual filter replacement is slightly on the high side and there is the minor indicator light glaring issue that might or might not be a big deal to you. If the WiFi enabled feature is not your thing, you could also opt for the non-WiFi version Winix HR950 that has the exact efficiency against allergens.
- Round tower housing that allows 360 degree air flow distribution with wide purifying coverage.
- Strong, consistent airflow to support 4 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- 4-stage filtration with True HEPA, Carbon filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Highly comprehensive scheduling via Winix SMART app where you could set multiple fanspeed at specific time and day.
- Again via the SMART app, you could turn on or off the unit at anywhere anytime.
- Child lock feature that prevent your loved one from meddling the control.
- Quick and simple filter replacement with only one filter cartridge yearly.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive to replace the all-in-one filter.
- Non-washable filter cartridge that if the filter is stuck with unwanted particles, the only solution is to replace the whole filter.
- Bright indicator light that does not dim down enough in sleep mode.
- Not easy connecting to WiFi devices including popular models such as iPad, iPhone and android devices.
🏆 Honorable mention
- The must featured air cleaner in every list: The Ultimate 4-stage HyperHEPA purifier IQAir HealthPro Plus.
- Blueair models is also perfect choice for odor eliminator thanks to its HEPASilent Technology.
- Discontinued but might be still available online, Honeywell Pet CleanAir air purifier HHT-013 is a compact, cheap and low maintenance cost alternative.
📃 Previous holder
- Winix HR1000
- GermGuardian AC4850PT
Best Air Purifier for Pets Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Alen BreatheSmart Classic||3-stage||1100 sq. ft. (102 m2)||8.8|
|GermGuardian AC5250PT||5-stage||193 sq. ft. (18 m2)||7.5|
|Austin Air Pet Machine||4-stage||1500 sq. ft. (139 m2)||8.1|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-700A||6-stage||700 sq. ft. (65 m2)||9.1|
|Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet 04384||3-stage||140 sq. ft. (13 m2)||5.9|
|Winix 9500||5-stage||284 sq. ft. (26 m2)||8.1|
|Winix NK105||4-stage||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.5|
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
What is pet dander?
In simple term, pet dander is tiny skin flakes or dead skin cells that shed from animals’ fur or feathers. All warm-blooded animals produce dander including tiny gerbil, reptiles to bird species. Cat dander is the most popular domestic pets that contribute to allergies follow closely by dog dander. Varies in size with around 75% scale at 5 microns or larger and 25% are 2.5 microns or smaller. The allergen alone cannot be seen through our naked eyes however, you could easily spot them spreading through airborne hair and dust. Pet dander is known to cause many allergic reactions like sneezing, skin rash because the immune system wrongfully produces antibodies to protect our body against harmful allergens. An air cleaner would get rid of animal dander in the air but regularly vacuuming and grooming works best complimenting each other.
How long does pet dander stay in a house?
Pet dander will stay in a house for around 4 – 6 months or 20 to 30 weeks even if the pet has already left. Cat dander is the most known type to be adhesive on household object and will stick to our hair, bag, and clothes. As a result, many owners unknowingly become animal dander official transporter that helps spread the allergens to places like shopping mall, offices, classroom, kindergarten etc. Lastly, pet dander is very light and can easily become airborne when disturbed. Prolong exposure can cause allergic symptoms like Atopic dermatitis (skin rash), Conjunctivitis (eye inflammation), Rhinitis (running nose) and of course trigger asthma. If you experience any of the above symptoms, stay clear of the area, perform a comprehensive vacuuming and get a HEPA air purifier to deal with the on-float animal dander.
Do Ozone generator odor removal works?
It does but we do not recommend it unless you know what you are doing. Ozone is a colorless, pungent odor gas that has 3 oxygen atoms (O3) compare with normal oxygen molecule that has 2 oxygen atoms (O2). As the name implied, Ozone generator generates ozone and are primarily used to remove odors.
How Ozone generator works is it converts normal oxygen intro ozone gas via electrical discharges or ultraviolet light. Using the same theory, Ozone gas will also break down odor-causing microbes’ molecule like germ, bacteria, and viruses. These include odors from skunk, litter box smell, cat spray, dog urine smell that is permanently stuck on your wall. Most ozone generator would need to be run for 3 - 8 hours in an empty room as the ozone gas is highly toxic to humans, animals, and plants. To re-enter back your home, a user will have to turn off the ozone generator (without breathing in) and wait couple of hours for the ozone molecules to be separated before turning back to regular oxygen.
While Ozone generator is very effective in removing pet odors in your home, there are some health risks involved and in most scenario is not even worth considering. The unstableness nature of ozone is highly reactive to other molecules and harmful to tissue cells. Inhaling to ozone gas can lead to minor symptoms like rash, sinus, to the life-threatening breathing difficulty, inflamed lungs, irreversible cells damage and asthma attack. Another downside on Ozone generator is the limited capability against airborne particles like hair.
In short, never consider ozone generator as your daily odor removal as exposing to ozone is VERY DANGEROUS for you, your pet or any living beings. Used only in unoccupied space.
The best type of air purifier for pet hair and allergies?
There are many different types of air purifiers in the market. Assuming you are not comparing the different sizes that each serve a specific purpose, HEPA equipped air purifier is your best bet. The HEPA machine must include a pre-filter (washable or 2-in-1), True HEPA filter (minimum 99.97% filtration rate at 0.3 microns) and activated carbon filter. UV light and Ionizer is a great filtration to have against germs and bacteria. Any supportive filter like medium filter, antimicrobial is also a welcome addon.
Even though most air cleaners in the market is HEPA based, we did encounter a few standalone UV/ Ionic, Electrostatic air cleaner and Ozone generator that categorize themselves as a pet-oriented air purifier. Avoid those and focus on HEPA air cleaner sizes, airflow performance, and filtration quality instead.
Can you develop dog allergies later in life (or cat)?
Yes, you can develop allergies later in life and it’s not limited to household pets like cat, dog, gerbil or hamster. The allergic reaction happens when our immune system overreacts to a substance as a harmful allergen, causing the body to respond with a chemical compound Histamine that triggers allergy symptoms. For pet allergies, animal dander (dead skin) is the common culprit, followed by dog/ cat saliva, bacteria (in pet hair) to the less common insect bites and bird dropping.
So, if you think you have developed dog or cat allergies all of a sudden, do look out for the following allergy symptoms.
Pet allergy sign and symptoms
- Constant sneezing, Runny nose, Nasal congestion, Rubbing of the nose (children)
- Postnasal drip Cough, Itchy throat, wheezing
- Swollen eyes, Red eyes, watery eyes, Blue circle under eyes
- Rashness, Hives, Itchy skin, Eczema
- Facial pressure, Trouble sleeping or awake from pain
- Difficulty breathing, Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness, Sudden chest pain
Do air purifiers work for pet allergies?
Yes, air purifier does work, but it’s only limited to airborne type. Animal allergies are often spread through airborne via hair and dust. A HEPA air purifier would remove airborne allergens from spreading across the room and prevent it from flowing into our lungs. For those that do not have the privilege of owning an air cleaner, below are alternatives that work well with or without an air cleaner.
How to get rid of dog/ cat allergies
- Restrict the places your cats and dogs can go to especially in your bedroom. Best avoid keeping pets indoor or having one at all (ouch).
- Do not touch, hug or even hang around places with cats and dogs. If there is contact, always wash your hands with antibacterial soap and water. Use lint roller or change your cloth when necessary.
- Never kiss a dog and cat as their mouth contains bacteria that can cause gum disease.
- Bath your cat or dog at least once a week to curb down the spread of dander.
- Get a HEPA air purifier and turn it on 24x7 to reduce the numbers of airborne hair, odors, and allergens. Works well if your room is centrally heated or air-conditioned.
- Improved room ventilation by opening windows and doors to reduce the number of airborne allergens indoor.
- Getting an allergy shot (immunotherapy) to increase tolerance level towards allergies.
- Go for hypoallergenic cats (Sphynx, Bengal, Balinese) or hypoallergenic dogs (Maltese Terrier, Shih Tzu, Poodle) that shed less. Do note there is no complete hypoallergenic-free cat or dog regardless of how "hairless" the animal is.
- Brush your cats or dogs daily and thoroughly to significantly reduce the number of shedd hair from being airborne. Wear a mask or have a non-allergic family member to perform the grooming.
- Replace your furniture with pet allergy-proof pillow cases, bedding, sofa cover or carpet. Carpet is notoriously known to trap pet dander.
- Perform housekeeping regularly to get rid of dander and allergens stuck on the floor. Use HEPA vacuum cleaner for vacuuming plus HEPA air cleaner to capture pet hair that is stirred back up in the air.
- Change the cat litter box frequently and place it in an open area.
Pet allergy symptoms to look out for
Sneeze nonstop when your cat is rubbing against your legs? Watery eyes at the sight of shed hair? Having family history of allergies particularly on dander? Whole house smells like animal pee and air feels stale? You have asthma or any of your family members have it? If you are currently suffering from dog/ cat allergies or at least suspect having one, these are the signs and symptoms you should look out for.
8 signs that you need an air purifier for pet allergies
- You can’t stop sneezing or have itchiness all over the body. Watery/ red eyes, nasal congestion or shortness of breath is also another obvious signs. Even though it’s sometimes hard to pinpoint which symptoms are caused by the domestic furball, as the same symptoms might occur on mold/ pollen allergies, a good HEPA air purifier would be able to cover them all.
- You have severe breathing problems. Any respiratory disorder from Asthma, COPD to pulmonary edema, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, and respiratory tract damage would very much appreciate an air purifying machine.
- You have more than 1 pets. One is fun. Two is trouble. Three is a nightmare! Imagine the number of pet hair and airborne dander floating around. Not to mention the triple pet urine smell that simply will not go away.
- Your house stinks and is constantly fill with cat urine smell. Not just odors coming from your pet, other unpleasant odors also chipped in from your unbathed dog, cat litter box, cigarette smoke, cooking, harmful chemical substances such as varnish, VOCs, and musty mold smell.
- Air feels stale and stuffy as you stay in an enclosed room with poor ventilation. In other words, your home might be suffering from bad indoor air quality where all the harmful allergies are constantly lingering on your airway.
- You snore loudly when your cat or dog is sleeping close to you. This can happen out of the blue even if you were sharing the same bed with your furry friend. A simple reason for that is allergy can develop at any stage of life without you even realizing it.
- Dust mites can be seen (or feel) in your bed. Yes, the same bed you share with your dog or cat. Dust mites feed on dead skin aka pet dander. If you feel itchy and has allergic reaction every time you wake up from your comfy bed, be warn as dust mites are slowly colonizing your bed.
- You are in the weak category that has weakened immune systems. First off, you have newborn baby or children that are still developing their body immune system. Second, you or your family member is above 60. Third, pregnant women, sick person or recovering patient that needs an allergen-free environment. Fourth, anyone suffering from asthma or is hypersensitive to allergies. Last but not least, even if you are perfectly healthy, nobody will gain any benefits from bad air quality.
Do you really need an air purifier for pet?
Yes, there are many reasons why you need it. First off, it is an excellent machine to promote better health by distributing clean air to you, your family member and your companion. The purifying machine is also the perfect companion when you perform your regular vacuuming on dust, pet hair and dander. Air purifier keeps stinky odors to a minimal level (does not completely remove it though), reduces allergic reaction, and stops the spread of airborne germs/ bacteria that is carried over by your cat or dog.
What to look for when buying an air purifier for pet.
There are just so many health benefits an air purifier can bring to the table. In order for you get the most out of the many available options, look for specialized pet air purifier that mainly focuses on allergy triggering dust, hair, dander, and odors through its unique filtration setup. There are also other features to consider that will directly or indirectly affect the usability of the air purifier.
11 Tips for Choosing a Pet Air Purifier
- Price and maintenance - First look at the price of the air cleaner. Second, cross-check the annual filter replacement cost via our website. If you are comfortable with the pricing and cost of ownership, is time to move to the next features.
- Size and weight - Air cleaners come in different size and weight. If you live in a small apartment or room, there is no need to pick a full-size console machine that will eat up your pet activity space. Vice versa, pick a heavier tabletop air purifier that can prevent it from tipping over when your cat brushes against it.
- Airflow performance - The stronger the airflow, the faster the airborne particles will be absorbed and trapped in the purifying machine. These might not be so important for those that stay in a small room.
- Room size - Calculate the room size where your plan to place the air purifier (preferably the spot your pet spends the most time in). Make sure the purifying coverage can support with at least 2 air charges of airflow.
- Pre-filter - A good pre-filter can trap a large amount of dust and hair that is filled with germs and bacteria. Pick those that are permanent/ washable so you easily vacuum the hair out and reuse it again.
- HEPA filter - Most cat or dog allergies are in microscopic size that can easily pass through the pre-filter. Look for True HEPA filter that has a 99.97% efficiency rate against microbes like germs, bacteria and viruses.
- Carbon filter - The filter you need to get rid of odors. Instead of thin carbon sheet, look for dedicated activated carbon filter that can trap stronger odors at one go.
- Other specialized filtration (UV-light, Ionizer, Antimicrobial) - The more the merrier. UV-light is effective against germs and bacteria, Ionizer makes stubborn particles easier to capture and antimicrobial prevents microorganism from further growth.
- Auto mode/ Sleep mode - A convenience yet practical features that help the air purifier autonomously manage airflow speed according to its surrounding air quality.
- Power consumption and noise level - A rule of thumb is the higher the airflow, the higher the energy consumption it would require. Therefore, choose an air purifier that has adequate airflow performance for you to manage against the incoming allergies. Same goes with noise level, the lower the noise level, the weaker the airflow output.
- Branding reputation - Allergies never stop but an air purifier will break down at certain point. Check and compare the warranty period, what does the warranty cover and how does the company exercise its warranty: replace damaged parts or 1-to1 exchange. A reputable brand will have responsive customer service and many aftersales service center for technical support.