Whether is your favorite Golden Retriever or cat (I’m not a cat person), owners usually don’t want to strip off their pets freedom in wandering around the house, yet can’t stand their pet shedding or odor. Not any more as we have the perfect list of air purifiers for pet allergies and odors. As all air purifiers are not equal in terms of specification, features and of course price tag, on this topic we will be focusing each air purifiers filters mainly on pre-filter, HEPA filter, Carbon filter and any pet specific filtration. At the end of this post, you will have a clearer answer on which air purifier would be best suited for you and your pets.
What causes pet allergies?
Harmless proteins in pet dander, pet’s urine, saliva from your dogs/ cats could lead to pet allergies if you have over-sensitive immune systems. While pet hair is not part of the allergens, all the above allergens travels around pet hair and could cling on your cloths, sofa, wall and home for months if no action is taken. Symptoms for pet allergens include inflamed eyes, stuffy nose, itchy skin, wheezing, breathing issue and asthma. Another point worth mentioning is that pet allergies could come and go anytime while some owners would start developing pet allergies only after a certain stage of life.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?First and foremost the air purifiers listed here is perfect for pet's owner and their furry animal. None-pet owner that are suffering from pet and asthma linked allergies such as pet dander, pet hair or odors would also benefit from the list here as well. Newborn, children or elderly that have weaker immune system and lastly people that wants to live in an allergen-free environment.
Alen BreatheSmart might be featured in the list due to its best purifying performance and personalizable front covers, but to be more precise it's the odor neutralizer HEPA-OdorCell filter that won our heart. Unlike most air purifiers that comes with a standard set of filters, All Alen air purifiers has the option to select one of 4 HEPA filter based on your environment requirement ranging from HEPA-Pure (dust & allergens) to HEPA-FreshPlus (smoke & VOCs). For pets odors related issue, choose the HEPA-OdorCell filter filled with Alen's patented Molecular Conversion Powder that would destroy pet odors at a molecular level.Again as each air purifiers has different set of functionality and price range, we recommend you to search for your most ideal Alen air purifier according to your needs and opt for the HEPA-OdorCell filter upgrade as it is best against pets odor.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
Not the biggest tower air purifier in its class, GermGuardian AC5250PT is well-made and the only tower air purifier in the list that is super effective against pet dander yet would not take up much space. What makes it tick is a 4-stage filtration that includes permanent mesh filter plus charcoal pre-filter for pet odors, True HEPA Fresh filter for allergens, UV-C Light and GermGuardian special Pet Pure treatment that destroys airborne viruses, bacteria and germ. With plenty of filtration strength in its pocket, there is also a convenience 5 fanspeed and programmable timer for you to fiddle around with.Its downside, average purifying coverage, slow airflow delivery rate and slightly over-bright indicator light that might annoy some. Overall we can't fault too much as GermGuardian AC5250PT holds it value well for a mid-range air purifier.
- Affordable price for a HEPA tower purifier which cost less than half of other competitors is offering.
- Complete 4-stage filtration with UV-light and 5 fanspeed.
- Effective True HEPA with Pet Pure that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria.
- Proven UV-C light that would assist in eliminating airborne germs and bacteria.
- Comes with practical features such as timer, filter replacement indicator and digital display.
- UV function can be deactivated via a button.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Limited purifying coverage together with average airflow delivery rate.
- Annual filter replacement cost (with Pet Pure filter C) around the size of a brand new unit.
- Lacks air quality sensors and Auto mode.
- Uses combine Charcoal pre-filter rather than dedicated carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter reset alert that requires small object like paperclip to click and reset the button.
Austin Air Pet Machine is a very low annual cost maintenance air purifier particularly great against dog/ cat odors. Thanks to it specially impregnated Pet carbon/zeolite mixture carbon filter that is enhanced to tackle pet odors, the trio pre-filter (outer mesh, inner pre-filter and medium filter) would ensure no pet hair or other airborne particles would be able to leave the air purifier. Supporting all that is the final stage 60 sq.ft. True Medical Grade HEPA filter that would capture all micron-size particles mainly pet dander. Austin Air Pet Machine also has one of the widest purifying coverage (1500 sq. ft.) at 2 air released hourly; topping of all that is the super long-life all-in-one filter that could last up to 5 years thus the little maintenance needed.What you will not get from this air purifier is Auto mode, air quality monitor/ sensor, timer or any modern features you could think of. Fan noise is louder than we prefer and it's also very bulky and heavy which is not great if you have very limited space. If you manage to bypass all that plus the price tag, Austin Air Pet Machine would be an excellent low-maintenance air purifier.
- Extensive purifying coverage for pet and non-pets owner.
- Dual first-stage filtration (Outer mesh filter and large particle pre-filter) in trapping pet hair.
- 15 lbs. carbon filter with zeolite and special additive ammonia designed to absorb ammonia and pet odors.
- Double filtration (medium filter + 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter) for medium to smaller size particles.
- Durable coated steel housing with zero off-gassing.
- Super long filter lifespan of up to 5 years.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Undesirable background noise level on all speed.
- Bulky and heavy although there is built-in casters.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires flipping over the machine to remove bottom cover.
- Relatively empty on features. No auto/ sleep mode, indicator, air quality sensor, timer.
- 6-stage filtration with side and bottom air inlet.
- Beautiful, wall-mountable square design with 4 selectable mood light color bar.
- Many customized front panel design to choose from (optional purchase).
- Effective trio front line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- Customizable filter, AC carbon filter and Ionizer to top if off the air purifier filtration depth.
- 5 fanspeed with strong airflow performance and purifying coverage.
- Trio sensors (Particle/ Odor/ Light) thus the existence of Air quality indicator and Auto mode.
- Sensitive and unobtrusive light mode that adjust the air purifier speed accurately based on surrounding light source.
- Five-year warranty with free return if not satisfied.
- All the bells and whistle translate to a very expensive price tag.
- Airflow purifying coverage and CADR is not on par with the price you paid.
- Heavy for a wall-mountable air purifier (more than 19 lb).
Small and cheap, Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet 04384 is a very specific, compact tabletop air purifier ideal if you have cats that often hang around your work desk. Cheapest air purifier in the list, Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet 04384 manage to squeeze in a permanent HEPA-grade filter in its small body and ensure your work desk stays free from pet hair and cat’s odor. On top of that there is also 2 carbon zeolite filters standing by to neutralize most common household allergens. Filter replacement cost is also very affordable and only require replacing quarterly.The downside for such a compact air purifier is obviously its rather weak overall filtration performance. Purifying coverage is weak and limited, airflow delivery rate is poor which as the title suggested, is only good as tabletop/ addon air purifier on top of your main purifier.
- Very affordable price .
- Permanent HEPA grade filter that can be easily maintain with routine vacuuming.
- Compact and portable body.
- Versatile design where you can place the unit horizontally or vertically without ever affecting the airflow efficiency.
- Generally low noise output.
- Small airflow coverage with poor airflow delivery rate.
- Weak filtration (at only 3 micron) with gradual declining on the effectiveness of the permanent HEPA-filter .
- Ineffective against strong odor and chemicals.
- Plain vanilla unit with no features like timer, air quality status, Auto mode.
- Comes only with 1 year warranty (some basic unit offer up to 2).
Oldie but goodie, Winix 9500 Ultimate Pet PlasmaWave air purifier might be in the market for quite sometimes, it still possess the charm that most pet owner would be looking for. Powered by a 5-stage filtration that no doubt would trap any types of pet odors and allergies in its surrounding. The efficient pre-filter and True HEPA filter would stop cat hair, pet dander from flowing out while Coated Deodorization (CD) Carbon Filter would eliminate pet odor and other vapor based pollutants. Together with PlasmaWave Technology, there is also particle sensors, built-in timer, auto/ sleep mode and remote control to enhance on the air purifier usability.On to the shortcomings, Winix 9500 Ultimate Pet design is clearly dated few years back, airflow purifying range is not great and rather low CADR compare with similar price range product. If you want the best in every aspect we should suggest you to consider the next product.
- Advanced 5-Stage PlasmaWave filtration with separate pre-filter and carbon filter.
- A more efficient True-HEPA filter on small particles thanks to the pre-capture by the pre-filter.
- Upgraded advanced Granular Carbon Filter that is more effective than regular Activated Carbon Filter found in lower series.
- Both Anti-Bacterial Pre-Filter and Carbon Filter are washable.
- 4 selectable fanspeed plus Auto mode that works well with the sensors.
- Comes with the handy remote control.
- Built-in timer with pre-set 1, 4, 8 hours off option.
- Smart particle sensor that consist of dust, odor and even light detection.
- Detail front digital display with separate indicator on dust air quality and odor level.
- Only "1 year" warranty compared with other Winix Signature series air purifiers that offered up to 5 years.
- Limited replacement filters as it is discontinued despite sharing the same filters as Winix 9500.
- Improved but still far from the category best in CADR and purifying coverage given its price tag.
- CleanCel Anti-Bacterial Treatment is not as useful as other filtration.
A better alternative to Winix 9500 in our book, Winix HR1000 is more competitively priced, better CADR, wider purifying coverage, airflow and with the same filtration efficiency against pet allergies. The washable pre-filter is great to clean up congested dust/ pet hair while CD Carbon Filter and True-HEPA filter is great in tackling pet dander and odors. In addition to that, Winix HR1000 also support WiFi control where you could pair up with your smartphone and remotely control literally everything on the air purifier.Its not perfect though, Winix HR1000 annual filter replacement is slightly on high side and there is the minor indicator light glaring issue that might or might not be a big deal to you. If the WiFi enabled feature is not your thing, you could also opt for the non-WiFi version Winix HR950 that has the exact efficiency against pets allergens.
- 5-stage filtration with PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Permanent washable pre-filter.
- True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter that is equally effective against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 5 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Dual sensors (Particle, VOC) with air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allow distant control and advanced scheduling (multiple fanspeed on any specific hours and day).
- Child lock feature that prevent children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive bundled filter replacement with yearly replacing needed.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glare up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as straightforward as it requires pressing on the WiFi button to enable the link up.
- The must featured air purifier in every list: The Ultimate 4-stage HyperHEPA purifier IQAir HealthPro Plus.
- Blueair air purifiers is also perfect choice for pet odor eliminator thanks to its HEPASilent Technology.
- Discontinued but might still be available online, Honeywell Pet CleanAir air purifier HHT-013 is a compact, cheap and low maintenance cost pet air purifier.