What is antimicrobial?
For centuries, antimicrobial act as an agent that inhibit the growth of microorganisms on the applied surfaces. Without the environment to thrive, antimicrobial will also effectively kill off germs, bacteria, viruses. In air purifier case, antimicrobial usually comes in a form of layer protection just above the HEPA filter or as a standalone filter that traps microorganisms separately. From your common flu viruses to the epidemic SARS outbreak, having antimicrobial protection is beneficial to your health as it greatly reduces the number of bacteria and viruses from flowing into your lungs.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Infant, children, elderly that has a weakened immune system against germ, bacteria, and viruses. A person with mild to severe allergies especially to certain bacteria and viruses. Sick or recovering patient that is currently suffering from virus attack. A person that needs protection against seasonal to contagious viruses including the notorious H1N1 swine flu. Lastly, anyone that needs a good' ol air purifier for cleaner, fresher air.
Best Air Purifier for Germs, Bacteria and Viruses 2019
Winix HR950/ Winix HR1000 is always the first one in our mind as it is well-priced, well-equipped and is well-protected against bacteria and viruses. Any types of germs would definitely not able to bypass the bundled True HEPA filter coated with antimicrobial and PlasmaWave that create Hydroxyls to neutralize bacteria, odors, gases, and chemicals. The wide purifying coverage is also ideal for large room size including living hall, master bedroom or dining area. Features wise Winix HR950 comes with all the standard goodies including air quality sensor with display indicator, Auto mode, and timer. For added Wi-Fi support via Winix Smart app, go for the slightly higher spec version Winix HR1000 air purifier.Nitpicking on its negative, other than the loud fan noise and slightly high annual filter replacement cost, Winix HR950 is pretty much a flawless antimicrobial air purifier. Other similar Winix air purifiers you could also consider is the pet-focused Winix 9500, power-oriented Winix U300 or the next item in the list.
- 5-stage filtration with PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Effective True HEPA filter coated with Anti-microbial protection.
- Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter that will remove most indoor smoke and odors.
- High CADR output supported with 5 speed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Sensitive dual sensors (Particle, VOC) with color based air quality indicator.
- Standard Child lock feature that prevents children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting (1, 4, 8 hours).
- 2 years warranty.
- Online pricing is rather close to Winix HR1000 that offers additional WiFi support (remote access).
- Filter replacement is on the high side and has to be done on a yearly basis.
- In sleep mode, the indicator light does not dim down enough to prevent a slight glare disturbance.
- A remote control would be nice as it is available in some of the lower end models.
Winix U450 might well be a discontinued model at the point of this writing, it doesn't discount the fact that it is handsomely equipped with a 5-stage filtration including the all-important CleanCel Antimicrobial coat. At a wide 450 sq. ft. capturing range, the 99.97% efficiency True HEPA filter will swiftly capture all household germs, bacteria, and viruses. All captured microorganisms inside HEPA filter will then be locked away by the antimicrobial from reproducing. Adding a permanent pre-filter, Carbon filter and Winix trademark PlasmaWave in the bag, you can't go wrong with this air purifier.As mentioned earlier, Winix U450 is well-equipped with premium features like remote control and VOC sensor. The consequences of all that is obviously the higher price tag and so is the annual filter replacement cost. Furthermore, Winix U450 is a dated model so you probably would be better off with the new Winix HR950 or HR1000.
- Minimalist design that is supported by the handy digital screen and remote control.
- Comprehensive airflow purifying coverage that is great for large size room.
- Impressive stats on all three dust, pollen, smoke CADR.
- 5-Stage Filtration including PlasmaWave Technology.
- The familiar True-HEPA filter that is extremely effective in capturing tiny micron size airborne pollutants.
- AOC advanced Granular Carbon Filter that would captures almost all type of odors and smokes.
- 4 fanspeed with auto mode.
- Sleep mode that dim all indicator lights automatically when there is no light source.
- Washable eco-friendly pre-filter and carbon filters.
- 5 years warranty with the optional extension.
- Considerably expensive with many cheaper alternatives such as Winix P450.
- Bundled cassette filter replacement is certainly not the cheapest in the market.
- Lacks built-in timer which is surprising given its availability in some of the lower end models.
- CleanCel Antimicrobial coated on pre-filter is not as critical as other filtration.
- Bulkier and heavier though justifiable with its capacity.
A hidden gem, little do people know that Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 filter is actually pre-coated with an antimicrobial that inhibits any microorganism from reproducing on the filter. With the filter shielded from microorganism growth, bacteria and viruses that flows inside the air purifier would be permanently removed by the HEPA filter. Adding the supportive negative ion generator, powerful airflow distribution and large room size radius regardless of which version you go for, you have yourself an absolute winner.Again very little fault you could associate with Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 other than the expensive price tag. Even the annual filter replacement cost is dirt cheap. For a slimmer and more cost-effective air purifier, consider the next item in the list.
- Sleek, modern design and considerably compact for a high-end console unit.
- Four-stage filtration with 5 speed + Auto mode. Negative Ion Generator (Ionizer) that can be disabled.
- Low annual filter replacement cost from the long filter lifespan.
- Effective HEPA Filter and Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter.
- Wide 550 sq m purifying coverage (2 air charges per hour).
- Active filter maintenance status bar with quarterly update on filter lifespan..
- Separate odor and particle sensor + adjustable Auto mode sensitivity.
- Full access, remote control ready.
- 5 years warranty including the BLDC motors.
- Expensive although many premium features does comes as standard.
- CADR is not at the most ideal level (below 200 cfm).
- Features like Negative Ions and timer is only accessible via remote control.
- Its bigger brother BioGS 2.0 SPA-625A offers better overall value (after discount).
What we like about GermGuardian AC5250PT other than the attractive pricing is the comprehensive 5-stage filtration which includes key components such as HEPA filter and of course antimicrobial Pet Pure treatment. The HEPA filter would remove all airborne allergens including bacteria, germs, and viruses while the Pet Pure treatment inhibits microorganisms from reproducing. Adding the optional UV-C light, slim tower profile plus many practical features add-on, its hard to say no to this machine.What we don't like about GermGuardian AC5250PT is the small purifying coverage and limited airflow distribution. Not great for large room size but totally acceptable given its size and price. If you want a tower air purifier with slightly higher antimicrobial airflow performance coverage, consider Fellowes AeraMax 200.
- Affordable price for a HEPA tower purifier which cost less than half of other competitors is offering.
- Complete 4-stage filtration with UV-light and 5 fanspeed.
- Effective True HEPA with Pet Pure that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria.
- Proven UV-C light that would assist in eliminating airborne germs and bacteria.
- Comes with practical features such as timer, filter replacement indicator and digital display.
- UV function can be deactivated via a button.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Limited purifying coverage together with average airflow delivery rate.
- Annual filter replacement cost (with Pet Pure filter C) around the size of a brand new unit.
- Lacks air quality sensors and Auto mode.
- Uses combine Charcoal pre-filter rather than dedicated carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter reset alert that requires small object like paperclip to click and reset the button.
Fellowes AeraMax 200 is the equivalent fo AeraMax 190 except it comes in white housing. The naming convention might be confusing but the rest of the specification will not be. First off, it has the mandatory AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment on HEPA filter, above average purifying coverage for a tower air purifier and effective True-HEPA filter that works as advertised against household germs, bacteria, and viruses. Adding PlasmaTrue Technology and convenience AeraSmart Sensor with air quality display and auto mode, Fellowes AeraMax 100 is no doubt a solid, well-rounded bacteria air purifier.One tiny issue with Fellowes is that the brand is not as common as other big name models which could reflect on your buying decision. If you can bypass that, this air cleaner would definitely be worthy of a shot.
- Modern contemporary exterior with front blue indicator on each active function.
- Well-priced for a 4-stage filtration with abundant of features including 4 speed, Aera+ mode and Auto mode.
- Excellent partnership between True HEPA filter and carbon filter.
- AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment that prevents bacteria like mold, mildew and fungi growth on HEPA filter.
- Last-stage PlasmaTrue Ionizer that can be disabled by pressing the button for few seconds.
- No dedicated pre-filter to ease the HEPA/ carbon workload despite having a 4-stage filtration.
- Slightly high annual filter replacement cost for its category.
- Blue indicator light is not dimmable.
- Odd fan noise that occasionally appear at higher speed.
For this to work, a mandatory HEPA-silver upgrade over the standard HEPA-Pure as the latter lacks the necessarily antimicrobial protection. With everything in order, Alen BreatheSmart Flex offers wide purifying coverage for large room size, excellent filtration against germ type bacteria, and viruses plus abundant of features including the popular swappable front panel. You could also opt for the bigger BreatheSmart Fit50 with even wider purifying coverage or the widest coverage Alen BreatheSmart.Alen BreathSmart is the least expensive between the 3 BreatheSmart models and is still considerably expensive without accounting for the filter upgrade. If you want a cheaper antimicrobial air purifier, consider the above option or go with other Alen tower series air purifiers such as Alan Paralda or T500.
- Changable front panel with tons of modern wood trim design.
- Consistent and strong airflow delivery rate that supports the wide purifying area.
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade that is excellent against allergens and odors.
- Longer lasting filters compare with similar segment models although that would also depend on usage frequency.
- Built-in timer (2, 4, 12 hours).
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Need to move up with one of the optional filter).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter that separates from the HEPA filter that would reduce each filter workload.
- Noisy at highest fanspeed although not the worst in its class.
- Lacks advanced filter replacement indicator (only basic version), SmartSensor (thus Auto mode), Ionizer. All these is available in BreathSmart/ FIT50.
🏆 Honorable mention
- All Blueair purifiers comes with natural, waterproof antibacterial rather than chemical-based bacteriostats or mold inhibitors coat.
- Airfree air purifiers uses an unique thermal purification method without any filters therefore no germ or bacteria can thrive in it.
📃 Previous holder
- Blueair Pro L
Best Air Purifier for Germs, Bacteria and Viruses Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Winix HR950||5-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||8.7|
|Winix U450||5-stage||450 sq. ft. (42 m2)||8.6|
|Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 SPA-550A||4-stage||550 sq. ft. (51 m2)||8.7|
|GermGuardian AC5250PT||5-stage||193 sq. ft. (18 m2)||7.5|
|Fellowes AeraMax DX55||4-stage||200 sq. ft. (19 m2)||7.5|
|Alen BreatheSmart FLEX||2-stage||700 sq. ft. (65 m2)||8.5|