Sick of feeling weak in a mold infested room? Or being defenseless against seasonal pollen invasion? What about the pesky mildew that would not go away? Fret not as we have parts of the solution (Yes only partial) to keep those allergens away.In this best air purifier for mold post, we will investigate what is the cause of an allergy. Plus the many symptoms and health risk the allergens brings to the table. There are few factors to be part of our pollen mold air purifier prestige list. We will take the CADR into account, HEPA filter effectiveness and the room size coverage. At the end of the day, there is bound to be one model that will alleviate your allergies troubles.
Break The Mold!
Mold Poisoning Symptoms and Health Effects
Mold poisoning can be a serious health issue when not handle with proper care. One might experience mild symptoms like flu, sinus, watery eyes that are hard to call if is mold-related. Other more serious symptoms include asthma, eczema, migraine, chronic cough, nausea, and diarrhea. Pro-long exposure to mold toxic can lead to many types of respiratory and liver failure. It can also reduce eye sights, reproductive capability, mental disorder, and neurological damage. It’s always better to be safe than sorry with Mold.
Who is this for?First, people that have been diagnosed with mold allergies by an allergist. Second, a person that is allergic to pollen with seasonal symptoms as above. Third, staying close to nature, has lots of tree/ plant and open windows all the time. Fourth, an asthmatic person that is at higher risk in triggering an asthma attack. Fifth, children or elderly people with impair immune system. Lastly, anyone that needs clean air throughout the day free from pesky pollen, mold, and mildew.
Best Air Purifier for Mold 2019
Technically any of the Blueair air purifiers would fit into our best air purifier for mold spores list. We pick Blueair 605 because it is the most powerful in its Classic lineup. Mold, spores, and other allergens would have to go through a series of filtration so absolutely no chance of them sneaking out.
What's cool: The same HEPA Silent Technology that works like a charm against the finest particles. Crazy high 640 cfm pollen CADR. Also best room size purifying coverage in its classic series at 775 sq. ft.
What's not: Expensive to own and maintain. Bulky and heavy. Does not fit well in constraint spaces. Auto mode requires add-on monitor purchase.In short: Powerful air purifier that will cost you an arm and a leg. Blueair 605 does have its fair share of downside and is "gigantic" literally. Depending on your purifying needs and how serious is your pollen allergies is. You could opt for the smaller version in Blueair series that gain the benefits of reduced body and price.
- Widest purifying coverage and strongest airflow in its Classic series.
- HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charges particles before passing to filter media.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Very impressive dust, pollen, and smoke CADR return.
- Top-notch build quality with its durable galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects easily and works well with the intuitive Blueair Friend app or Amazon Alexa.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive model in Blueair Classic series.
- Very high annual filter replacement cost.
- Lacks stand-alone pre-filter that would capture large particles from other filters.
- Lacks integrated air sensors for air quality monitoring and Auto mode. Requires the addon Blueair Aware monitor purchase to enable the feature.
- Bulky and heavy although we expect no less.
Do not be fool by Rabbit MinusA2 SPA-780A so-called “average” pollen CADR output. This is the ultimate 6-stage mold eliminator you can get your hands to. It has excellent purifying coverage (815 sq. ft. to be exact) that is ideal for any bedroom size.
What's cool: 6-stage filtration including pre-filter, medium, HEPA, carbon, and negative ion generator. Add-on Germ Defense customized filter to get rid of stubborn mold, pollen, and mildew. All the bells and whistle you could think of.
What's not: You will have to pay top dollar for this air purifier. The Germ Defense customized filter add-on is an extra cost.In short: In spite of MinusA2 and compactness and nifty purification, everything else is costly. This is arguably the least favorable price per airflow ratio model. If you could do with a smaller purifying, downgrade to the cheaper but identical MinusA2 SPA-700A.
- Full depth 6-stage filtration with improved airflow performance and coverage.
- Low filter replacement cost despite having many added filters.
- Beautiful, square design with mood light color bar.
- Wall-mountable with plenty of customized front panel design (optional purchase).
- Effective First line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- 4 Customizable filter options, AC carbon filter and Negative Ion Generator.
- 5 fanspeed with Auto/ Pollen/ Sleep mode.
- Separate Particle, odor and light sensor. Particle/ air quality sensors sensitivity can be adjusted.
- Sensitive Sleep mode that adjust the speed automatically when light is out.
- Five-year warranty with free return.
- All the added features helped push the price up to premium category.
- For the price you paid, there are better alternate options solely on coverage, CADR and airflow.
- Far from light despite being a wall-mountable unit with back wall-bracket.
Many sites did not include IQAir HealthPro Plus in their "Best air purifier for mold list". Why? Because it is not an affiliate selling model worthy (psst is expensive). Not us as the airflow performance and filtration alone justified the inclusion. Top it off with a leading 6-speed mode and super wide coverage, you can never go wrong with HealthPro Plus.
What's cool: Remarkable HyperHEPA filter that trap allergens as small as 0.003 microns. Way smaller than any household mold, pollen or germs ever existed. The latest version comes with 25% more clean air, 32% more silent. and 38% longer filter lifespan.
What's not: Again, pricing is the main reason. Filter's sustainability is another. The lack of features like Auto mode, air quality indicator is the biggest downer.In short: The best mold removal machine when money is no biggie. If you have the budget and can sustain its yearly filter replacement, go right ahead. Otherwise, consider the next option if you want an air purifier that is more feature oriented.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Winix HR1000 is another popular air purifier for mold that breaches the premium line but at the lower end. Let's put it this way, it cost close to double of Winix 5500-2 but only half of Airmega 300. Regardless of the price, this is a very good air purifier for all-purpose.
What's cool: 5-stage HEPA filtration including antimicrobial that stop mold from growth. High 301 cfm pollen CADR output that exceeded our requirement. 400 square feet coverage is more than enough for most folks. Equipment wise, Wi-Fi enabled, timer, remote control, Auto/ Sleep mode all checked.
What's not: Around $100 for filter pack is not a lot in air purifier world but keep in mind it is a yearly recurring fees.In short: If you need a dependable, 5-stage filtration air purifier that is easy to use, HR1000 it is. Sure the filter set is expensive, but it comes with both HEPA + carbon filter and more importantly, it works! If you could save 1 dollar a day, it will only take 100 days and you have a whole year time frame to do that.
- 5-stage filtration with permanent washable pre-filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Excellent True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Equally effective Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 4 fan speed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Sensitive Light and Smart sensor (Particle, VOC) with front air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allows distant control and advanced scheduling.
- Useful Child lock feature that prevents children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer that can be setup straight on the air purifier.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive bundled filter replacement that requires yearly change.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glares up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as smooth sailing and straightforward as it should be.
Most Winix air purifiers would fit well in our best air purifier for mold/ pollen list. We pick Winix NK105 out of the bunch as it is the only tower air purifier here. It’s considerably cheaper compared with the above air purifiers and is ideal for medium room size.
What's cool: Respectable pollen CADR and airflow delivery rate. Highly dependable True-HEPA filter with PlasmaWave technology. Adding timer and Wi-Fi enabled feats, you have yourself a superb mold removal machine.
What's not: Pairing the air purifier and phone is a chore but thankfully you only have to do it once. Filter cartridge is expensive to replace and has to be done annually. The bright indicator is a bit of nuisance.In short: Winix NK105 strike a balance between price, performance and overall dimension. On the flip side, It's not the smallest, cheapest and most silent mold air purifier in the market. If you could leave out the Wi-Fi feature that brings nothing in allergens removal, go with NK100.
- Round tower housing that allows 360 degree air flow distribution with wide purifying coverage.
- Strong, consistent airflow to support 4 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- 4-stage filtration with True HEPA, Carbon filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Highly comprehensive scheduling via Winix SMART app where you could set multiple fanspeed at specific time and day.
- Again via the SMART app, you could turn on or off the unit at anywhere anytime.
- Child lock feature that prevent your loved one from meddling the control.
- Quick and simple filter replacement with only one filter cartridge yearly.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive to replace the all-in-one filter.
- Non-washable filter cartridge that if the filter is stuck with unwanted particles, the only solution is to replace the whole filter.
- Bright indicator light that does not dim down enough in sleep mode.
- Not easy connecting to WiFi devices including popular models such as iPad, iPhone and android devices.
Need something a little bit more affordable in dealing with mold? Again and again, Honeywell HPA300 allergen remover is your answer. It might not have an outstanding exterior or jam-packed features, the remarkable performance will make up for all.
What's cool: Impressive 465 sq. ft. coverage. that can cover a lot of ground. 300 cfm pollen CADR is no slouch either. Pricing is on the friendlier side too.
What's not: Plain on features thus no Auto mode, Sleep mode, AQ indicator, or remote control. Filter replacement cost is on the high side.In short: A great mold air purifier that is dated on features. If you do not mind the manual control and lack of night mode, this will do just fine. If the filter cost is too much of a burden, consider the smaller HPA200 or HPA100 air cleaner.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- Adjustable 4 fan speed including Turbo mode.
- Dual function Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and mild gas based particles.
- Proven True-HEPA filter that is very effective against fine airborne particles.
- Separate electronic filter change reminder with one for HEPA and the other for carbon pre-filter.
- Dedicated light dimming option and 3 pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality indicator.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
- Touch buttons is not the most pleasant to operate with little feedback.
Rather than pushing Airmega 300, let's go with the higher spec model. There are lots of things to like about Airmega 400 as a mold air purifier that we could go on all day. You only need to know that it is a proven, reliable, and effective pollen/ mold killing machine.
What's cool: A whopping 350 cfm pollen CADR with 1560 sq. ft. coverage. Relies purely on mechanical filtration setup (dual pre-filter + HEPA and carbon filter). Timer, Auto/ Sleep/ Eco mode with air quality indicator all comes standard.
What's not: The price tag for one. Follow by the filter maintenance that requires annual replacement. No ionizer in the filtration but it's not a big miss.In short: Yet another expensive air purifier that not meant for everyone. Unless you have plenty of cash to throw around, it might be better to hire a mold expert to fix the problem. With the leftover cash, get a cheaper HEPA air purifier.
- 4-stage filtration with very wide purifying coverage.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both sides of the air inlet.
- Max2 filter (Green True HEPA + Activated Carbon) is great against smoke and micron size pollutants
- Auto mode with adjustable sensitivity for more accurate detection.
- Sleep mode that automatically adjusts the light and speed when there is no light source.
- Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifespan indicator is based on real-time usage and environment.
- Clear and accurate air quality display indicator.
- 5 years Airmega official warranty.
- Cheaper than 400S model but still relatively expensive.
- Expensive filter replacement cost despite only one annual filter change (Max2 filter).
- No remote access (via app) as 400 have to do without Wi-Fi connectivity support.
- Lacks optional Ionizer feature even though not everyone would utilize it.
🏆 Honorable mention
- Airgle AG800 is a very expensive choice (to own and maintain).
- In general, Whirlpool air purifiers are great in tackling the spread of airborne mold.
- Consider Holmes air purifiers if you need something cheaper yet capable of doing the job.
📃 Previous holder
- Blueair Pro XL
- Alen BreatheSmart
Best Air Purifier for Mold Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Blueair 605||3-stage||775 sq. ft. (72 m2)||9|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A||6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||9.1|
|IQAir HealthPro Plus||4-stage||1098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||9.6|
|Winix HR1000||5-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||9|
|Winix NK105||4-stage||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.5|
|Honeywell HPA300||3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||8.5|
|Airmega 400||4-stage||1560 sq. ft. (145 m2)||8.8|
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
How many types of mold in homes?
From your typical Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, to Penicillium, Stachybotrys (black mold). There are 14 types of in-home mold that you probably encounter before. Each type of mold varies in size, shape, color and also characteristic alignment. Most mold that can survive the harshest condition and is bad to our health when exposed or inhaled. Precautionary steps must be taken when dealing with molds to prevent infection.
How to get rid of mold in house naturally?
You have seen the signs, the horrifying stats, the many types of mold and ultimately, the health risks it can bring. It’s time to begin with the mold elimination project.
First, identify the source of the mold contamination. If is concentrated on the piping area, it could be due to water leakage. If is all over the wall, it might be because of the high humidity level.
Second, rectify the problem before it starts spreading. If is just a tiny bit of mold spot, simple scrubbing with detergent and water will do the trick. If is a catastrophe situation that is out of your control, do not hesitate to request help. Hire an expert or licensed contractor to perform a complete cleanup or mold remediation.
Third, prevent the same old issue from recurring. Whether is replacing the HVAC system, an air purifier or dehumidifier, ensure the mold troubles is gone for good.