Who is this for?Anyone could do with clean air free from pesky mold, and mildew. An asthmatic or hyperallergic person diagnosed with mold allergies would benefit the most from a mold air purifier. The same goes for babies, children, and elderly people with impaired immune systems.
2021 Best Air Purifier for Mold
|No||Image||Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Filtration||Coverage||Score|
|1||Blueair 605 Air Purifier|
|3-stage||775 sq. ft. (72 m2)||5|
|2||Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A Air Purifier|
|6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||4.5|
|3||IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier|
|4-stage||1098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||5|
|4||Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier|
|4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||5|
|5||Alen BreatheSmart Classic Air Purifier|
|3-stage||1100 sq. ft. (102 m2)||4.5|
|6||Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier|
|3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||4.5|
|7||Airmega 400 Air Purifier|
|4-stage||1560 sq. ft. (145 m2)||4.5|
How Do We Measure?
Not every air cleaner is capable of removing mold. There are few things you need to consider before getting one. Features like the coverage size, the types of filtration, noise level, and power efficiency can determine how usable it is the device. To give you a clear picture of your needs, here's our buying guide for the best air purifiers for mold.
- Room size/ Coverage - Never underestimate the speed of mold infestation. Mold can spread around the house within 24 to 48 hours and slowly colonize your home space one inch per day. An air purifier with strong airflow can easily cover an entire room from allergens intrusion. The wider the purifying coverage, the bigger the room size it can support.
- CADR - A measurement by AHAM that calculates the room size an air purifier can support. Clean air delivery rate measures the amount of air filtered by an air purifier in cubic feet per minute. 3 separate tests are conducted on dust, pollen, and smoke to give a more accurate rating. 200 cfm is a good benchmark for most bedrooms and small living halls. The higher the CADR, the faster the air can be clean.
- HEPA filter - The must-have filtration in a mold air purifier. A high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter has the capacity to get rid of mold and other microscopic allergens. Only consider a True HEPA filter that is certified on its efficiency by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) instead of a HEPA-type filter.
- Activated carbon filter - Another must-have filtration that focuses on removing gas and musty odor through chemical adsorption. Compliments well on a HEPA filter. Look for a dedicated carbon filter with a high porous surface area so more smoke particles can be absorbed in one go. Avoid models that come with a less effective thin carbon sheet or 2-in-1 carbon pre-filter.
- UV-C/ UVGI/ PCO/ PECO - Uses the shortwave length of ultraviolet light to disinfect mold, bacteria, and viruses. Great as a supportive filtration that halts captured microorganisms from further growth and spread. As a standalone, UV-C light is not effective against large PM10 particulates and its efficiency will degrade with the light intensity drops. Some mold strains are also known to be resistant to UV radiation thus it will take a longer time to kill.
- Ionization - A safe purification technology that releases negative ions to bring down airborne pollutants. The fallen pollutants will still be scattered in the room unless it is vacuum away or captures by the filter. That's why you should only consider a HEPA air purifier with an ionizer feature rather than a standalone ionic air purifier.
- Dimension - For those that stay in a tiny apartment or small bedroom, look for a more portable, compact air purifier that will not eat up our entire interior space. If space is no issue, pick a large air purifier that holds a bigger fan motor and filtration with stronger airflow performance.
- Noise level - Highly dependant on the current fan speed it is running. If you intend to use an air purifier during work or sleep, avoid models that output higher than 60 decibels similar to an air conditioner. For low-speed operation, a whispering 20-30 decibels would be the ideal level of noise. Remember, the more silent is an air purifier, the more usable it will be.
- Pricing - Mold air purifiers can range from 150 to 900 dollars based on the size, category, airflow speed, and cost of ownership. Set a budget that you are comfortable with including the recurring disposable filter cost that you will have to bear annually. Pricing should not be the sole factor in determining the best mold air purifier.
- Additional features - From the remote control, auto mode, sleep mode, air quality indicator, caster wheels, timer, Wi-Fi, to Bluetooth connectivity. Anything that can help with the usability of an air purifier would be welcome with open arms.
Any of the Blueair air purifiers would fit into our best air purifier for mold spores list. We pick Blueair 605 because it is the most powerful in its Classic lineup. At 20 x 26 x 13 inches in dimension, this is not the air purifier to go with if you have limited spaces in a room. Adding the 35 pounds premium galvanized steel body, moving around Blueair 605 can be tricky despite the included caster wheels. Build quality is great and the fitting is tight. The extensive 5 years warranty is the perfect icing on the cake. Mold, spores, and other allergens trapped inside will have no chance of sneaking out.
Moving to the controls, Blueair 605 simple operation heavily relies on the LED display. You can cycle between the 3 fan speeds, reset the filter replacement indicator after changing the filters, and turn on Wi-Fi support. Blueair 605 supports remote access via the Blueair Friend app available for download in iOS and Google Play. It comes with advanced features such as brightness intensity, night mode, child lock, timer scheduling, and real-time air quality data with saved logs. Everything can be done at the comfort of your couch.
Looking inside Blueair 605 air purifier specification:
- CADR - 640 cfm
- Room Coverage - 775 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 3
- Air Filtration - HEPASilent Technology, Particle Filter, SmokeStop Filter
- Warranty - 5 years
Blueair Classic 605 airflow delivery rate is from 150 cfm all the way up to 650 cfm at max speed. Even running at the lowest speed, airflow is plentiful and consistent. With up to 5 air changes an hour, it can cover a high 775 square footage of enclosed space. Ideal for large room sizes like living hall, dining room, lounge, basement, bedroom, or kitchen. CADR is highly impressive at 500 cfm for dust, 640 cfm for pollen, and 500 cfm for smoke. If you need to quickly remove mold, mildew, pollen, and other allergens in the air, Blueair 605 will not disappoint you.
HEPASilent Technology is the ultimate combination of electrostatic and mechanical filtration. The filters are ultrasonically bonded with natural antibacterial polypropylene fibers to prevent mold growth. It begins with the encapsulated particle-charging chamber electrostatically charging incoming pollutants to be more adhere to the particle filter. The sticky pollutants will be more sticky to the particles filter that boosts a 99.97% efficiency as small as 0.1 microns in size. The SmokeStop Carbon filter will absorb gas particles and ozone via chemical adsorption resulting a cleaner, fresher air.
Being a heavy-duty unit, Blueair 605 noise output is on the higher side between 32 dB(A) to 62 dB(A). You can still use it in the bedroom as long as you keep the fan speed low. The power consumption is acceptable hovering around 15 watts to 100 watts depending on the fan speed. Blueair 605 is Energy Star certified after all.
A powerful mold removal air purifier that will cost you an arm and a leg. Blueair 605 does have its fair share of downsides. It is gigantic and heavy compared to most of the air purifiers for mold. Despite the premium price you're paying, there's no air quality sensor and auto mode by default. The high annual filter replacement cost is also a recurring theme that you need to be aware of. So depending on how much air purifying is needed and how serious is your mold allergies, you could opt for the smaller Blueair 480i that reap the same benefits but at a much lower price.
In short: One of the best mold-removing air purifiers that can trap even the smallest microorganisms. However, the HEPASilent technology can be expensive to own and maintain thus it is not for everyone.
- Traps mold and particulates down to 0.1 microns.
- Outstanding CADR and coverage.
- DualProtection filters (Particle + SmokeStop).
- Patented HEPAsilent technology.
- Galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects.
- Very expensive.
- Big and bulky.
- Addon for Blueair Aware monitor.
- High annual filter cost.
Do not be fool by Rabbit MinusA2 SPA-780A so-called “average” pollen CADR output. This is the ultimate 6-stage mold eliminator you can get your hands to. It has excellent purifying coverage ideal for any room size such as living room, bedroom, basement, garage. The boxy dimension of 21.4 inches width, 20 inches height, and 7 inches depth will not take up much room space as it can be mountable to the wall like a frame. The only thing is you can't move it around for room to room purifying since it is hanging on the wall. Build quality and fitting is top-notch as evidence by the thousands of positive reviews and long 5-year warranty from the brand itself.
There's plenty of ways you can enhance Rabbit MinusA2 air purifier usability. First, It is decorable where you can swap the front panel with many customizable designs (addon cost). Second, there is a relaxing mood lighting bar that changes from solid blue, purple to pink. Not to confuse with an air quality indicator that shifts color from blue, purple, to red when the room air quality drops. Standard operation includes 5 manually selectable fan speeds, auto mode, and sleep mode. Auto mode will only set the fan speed to high when it detects an increase in airborne pollutants. Sleep mode automatically locks the fan speed to low and dims all indicator lights when the room turns pitch black. The filter replacement indicator is also present to alert users to change the filter. The most important feature of all in Rabbit MinusA2 is the inclusion of remote control. Now you can make adjustments from a distance without having to reach out on the wall-mount control panel.
Looking inside Rabbit MinusA2 air purifier specification:
- CADR - 200 cfm
- Room Coverage - 815 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 5
- Air Filtration - Pre-filter, HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter, Negative Ion Generator, Medium Filter, Customized Filter
- Warranty - 5 years
As the name suggested, this is the higher variant SPA-780A that cleans airborne mold in a room of up to 815 square footage at 2 air changes per hour. For a hypersensitive or asthmatic person that needs a persistent airflow, you can increase to 4 air changes per hour but the room size coverage will drop to 408 square footage. Rabbit Air MinusA2 airflow delivery rate is between 58 cubic feet per minute (cfm) to 218 cfm. Not the greatest but sufficient for a wall-mountable unit. CADR tally with the airflow output with dust at 193 cfm, pollen at 200 cfm, and smoke at 180 cfm.
No mold, mildew, and other biological pollutants will be able to bypass Rabbit Air 6-stage filtration. First, large irritants like dust, hair, pet dander, dust mite, and pollen will be captured either by the pre-filter or medium filter. For particulates that manage to bypass both the pre-filter and medium filter, you have the 99.97% efficiency HEPA filter standing by to trap particulates as small as 0.3 microns. For an even more in-depth removal, you can add 1 of the 4 customizable filters from Germ Defense Filter, Pet Allergy Filter, Toxin Absorber Filter, and Odor Remover Filter. Any smoke and musty odors that have not been deal with will be absorbed by the Activated Carbon filter. Last but certainly not least, an optional Negative Ion Generator will assist in pulling contaminants down for the multi-layered filter to capture.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 will run silently at 25.6 decibels to a max 51.3 decibels. You will not hear any noise when it is hanging up high on the wall. As an Energy Star certified model, MinusA2 will run efficiently from a standby mode of 7 watts to 61 watts. For better energy management, leave it in auto/ sleep mode and the air purifier will run autonomously by itself.
In spite of MinusA2 and compactness and nifty purification, there are a few notable drawbacks. First, the CADR and airflow delivery rate is under par compared with its purifying range. Regardless of which variant you go for, you will have to pay top dollar for this air purifier. All the addons like customizable front panels and extra filters are extra costs to incur. Finally, the total weight is rather hefty, but it will not be a problem as long as you mount it to a wall. After all, that is the whole purpose of getting a Rabbit Air MinusA2.
In short: The only premium wall-mounted air purifier here that can deal with airborne mold and mildew allergens. For an even better filtration against microbes, consider one of the 4 customizable filters upgrade.
- 6-stage filtration against mold.
- Pre-filter + medium filter.
- True HEPA filter.
- Activated carbon filter.
- Negative Ion Generator.
- Trio sensor, auto/ sleep mode, timer, remote control.
- Average airflow output.
- Extra cost on the customizable filter.
Many sites did not include IQAir HealthPro Plus in their "Best air purifier for mold list". Why? Because it is not a high selling volume due to its high price tag. Not us though as the strong airflow performance and filtration alone justified its inclusion. Top it off with a leading 6-speed mode and super-wide coverage, you can never go wrong with HealthPro Plus.
IQAir iconic white body framework will take up a large chunk of your interior space. At a 15 inches width, 28 inches height, 16 inches depth, and 35.3 pounds weight, it is not the most manoeuver machine around even with the 4 durable caster wheels. The hefty weight is also contributed by the super durable ABS plastic housing and 3D UltraSeal triple-seal technology. Any pollutants that are trapped inside will not stand a chance of escaping. It is also the few machines that is officially certified by IAACM to be 100% ozone-free.
IQAir HealthPro Plus is very easy to use with distinctive buttons and a digital display. Besides making a quick adjustment to the 6 fan speeds, you can also depend on the programmable timer and set a day, speed, and time to shut down the machine. The Intelligent Filter Life Monitor will accurately measure the filter usage life and replace it when necessary. Last but not least, there is also a remote control bundled to ease the operation.
Looking inside IQAir HealthPro Plus air purifier specification:
- Pollen CADR - N/A
- Room Coverage - 1098 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 6
- Air Filtration - PreMax Filter F8, HyperHEPA Filter H12/13, V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter MG
- Warranty - 3-10 years
There are two things IQAir does better than the rest: air cleaning and filtration. IQAir HealthPro Plus has 6 adjustable fan speeds that deliver from 41 cfm to a high 300 cfm of airflow delivery rate guaranteed. Following the impressive airflow performance is the wide 1098 square footage coverage. Highly suited for large room sizes with moldy problems due to poor ventilation and no sunlight like a two car garage, basement storage, lounge, and laundry room. IQAir HealthPro Plus can even cover an entire home or condo when you leave all doors open with no obstruction.
The core of IQAir HealthPro Plus lies with its filtration. When airborne pollutants are drawn inside the 360 air inlet, the PreMax Filter F8 will block initial particulates from passing through and end up clogging the HEPA filter. Next, the remarkable HyperHEPA filter will trap microscopic allergens as small as 0.003 microns including bacteria and viruses. The V5-Cell Granular activated Carbon filter with Pelletized chemisorption filter removes even the toughest chemical fumes, ozone, and odors that are detrimental to our health. You will definitely feel improvement in the air quality simply by leaving IQAir on for a couple of hours.
Noise level is very well contained thanks to the double-walled housing, sound deflector EvenFlow Diffuser, rubber suspension pad, and backward, curved centrifugal fan. Expect a low noise output between 25 to 59 dB depending on the fan speed. Energy usage is a bit of mixed bag as it can be under 27 watts to a max 215 watts per hour. There are other more energy saving units but non offered the same performance as IQAir HealthPro Plus.
There is no doubt on IQAir caliber in dealing with mold and other fungi. However, the close to 1000 pricing is the main reason many people will not opt for this model. Besides the hefty cost, the filter's sustainability is another setback as you will have to fork 100+ dollars year in, year out. The tall and bulky body is also very hard to maneuver despite the added caster wheels. Lastly, there is no autonomous mode or air quality indicator built-in, you will have to rely on the schedule for better energy management.
In short: The best mold removal machine when money is no biggie. If you have the budget and can sustain its filter replacement cost, go right ahead.
- The best air purifier in removing mold.
- Strong airflow for large room size.
- PreMax Filter.
- HyperHEPA Filter.
- V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter.
- Advanced scheduler.
- Expensive to own and maintain.
- Bulky and heavy.
- No autonomous mode.
Winix 5500-2 is another popular air purifier for mold that crosses the premium line at an inexpensive price. It cost only half of what other premium models are offering without much compromisation. You'll get the same dependability and build quality as the rest.
A well-rounded air purifier for all-purpose. The stand-out black housing is at a slim 15 x 23.6 x 8.2 inches size with 15.4 lb in total weight. No casters here but the air purifier is lightweight enough to grab on the back handle and go. At the front, you have dual side air inlets and a top air outlet for clean air distribution. There is also an air quality indicator bar that will change color according to how good is the room air quality.
Staying at the top, Winix 5500-2 air purifier comes with a full set of features that boost its usability. You can manually adjust the 3 speeds. Better yet, let the auto/ sleep mode decide for you with the help of the built-in sensor. There is also the option to set the 1/ 4/ 8 hours timer, enable/ disable PlasmaWave, and reset the filter light after you have replaced the filter. To top it off, there is a convenient remote control bundled in the package. Excellent stuff.
Looking inside Winix 5500-2 air purifier specification:
- CADR - 246 cfm
- Room Coverage - 360 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 4
- Air Filtration - Pre-filter, True HEPA filter, AOC Filter, PlasmaWave Technology
- Warranty - 2 years
Despite being one of the more affordable mold air purifiers here, Winix 5500-2 packs quite a punch. the 4 adjustable fan speeds output a minimum 53 cfm to a modest 226 cfm airflow delivery rate. As for air cleaning coverage, it is recommended for room size up to 350 square footage at 2 air changes per hour. Suitable for small bedroom, kitchen, dining area, playroom, basement, and one car garage. As for CADR, Winix 5500-2 air purifier is rated at 243 cfm for dust, 246 cfm for pollen, and 232 cfm for smoke. Anything above 200 will be more than sufficient in dealing with home pollutants and curbing mold allergies symptoms.
Winix 5500-2 uses the familiar 4-stage PlasmaWave HEPA filtration that is effective in stopping mold and mildew growth. The permanent pre-filter traps dust, lint, hair, and other large contaminants. At the same time, it will reduce the dependence of the HEPA filter. The True HEPA filter capture 99.97% of particulates small as 0.3 microns. For smoke particles and toxic gases, you have the advanced granular carbon filter that absorbs cooking smells, VOCs, and clammy stale air. Lastly, PlasmaWave Technology generates natural water vapor and oxygen ion bonded Hydroxyls to eradicate microorganisms that are hard to break down. It is an absolutely safe and proven technology that does not produce harmful byproducts.
There are a lot of things to like about Winix 5500-2, the rather expensive HEPA + carbon filter replacement cost is not one of them. Expect to pay an average of 80 dollars annually with 24 hours of daily operation. The VOC sensors will occasionally doze off in detecting air quality changes, but the delay is momentarily so don't worry too much about it. It will not hinder Auto mode from functioning properly.
In short: A dependable yet inexpensive 4-stage filtration air purifier that has plenty to offer. Adding Winix's awesome PlasmaWave technology, no mold and mildew will be able to get away from its sight.
- Inexpensive mold air purifier.
- Permanent pre-filter.
- True-HEPA filter.
- Advanced carbon filter.
- PlasmaWave technology.
- AQ indicator, auto/ sleep mode, timer, remote control.
- Slow sensor.
- Slightly high filter cost.
Most Alen air purifiers would fit well in our best air purifier for mold list. We pick the OG Alen BreatheSmart air purifier as it is the classic variant effective in reducing mold patches in the home. At a console size of 17.8 x 26.8 x 10 inches, the exterior is clean yet functional with air inlets nicely tucked at the side. You even have the option to swap the front panel with many attractive colors and designs available online. Weight is around 21 pounds including filter, not the lightest but can be moved around with limited effort. The air quality indicator is not at the usual front spot, it does change from blue, yellow, or red to indicate the level of airborne pollutants in the room.
Operating Alen BreatheSmart is dead easy with all the controls nicely arranged. You can cycle through the 4 speeds or activate auto mode and let the air purifier decide what speed to run based on room air quality. A timer is available with 3 preset settings and so is the popular child lock. Also in the list is an optional ionizer that can be disabled when not needed. Lastly, an advanced Smart Filter calculates the remaining filter life so you will know when to replace it. Overall, we are happy with the features and build quality displayed. Note that the lifetime warranty is only available for those that registered on Alen's website with a filter subscription.
Looking inside Alen BreatheSmart air purifier specification:
- CADR - 300 cfm
- Room Coverage - 1100 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 4
- Air Filtration - Pre-filter, HEPA-Pure filter (upgradable), Ionizer
- Warranty - Lifetime Limited Warranty
The OG model. Alen BreatheSmart air purifier 4 fan speeds output a strong 150 cfm to a maximum 286 cfm airflow. It can swiftly remove tiny particulates and pathogens in an 1100 square footage space under 1-2 hours. For those with asthma or severe allergies to mold, you can increase the air changes by 4 or clean air every 15 minutes. Best used in large spaces like a living room, dining area, kitchen, garage or basement with bedroom. Alen BreatheSmart CADR is averaging at 300 cfm for dust, pollen, and smoke with the default filter. The figures will not go too far off even if you opt for the upgraded filter set.
A superb mold removal machine with a little bit of quirk. By default, Alen BreatheSmart air purifier uses the standard HEPA-Pure bundled filter set. It comes with a washable pre-filter that traps large particles and prolongs the HEPA filter usage life. The highly dependable True-HEPA filter will capture tiny particles and pathogens that cannot be seen by our naked eyes. There is also a built-in ionizer that diffuses negative ions to charge positive ions contaminants in the air. The now heavier particles would fall allowing the HEPA filter to capture. Notice there is no smoke filtration here. For that, you will need to upgrade to the HEPA-Silver filter that specialized in capturing germs and smelly mold. A must-have in our book.
What's not so good about Alen BreatheSmart is the default HEPA-pure filter. It is the basic version that lacks odor filtration to deal with musty smells. You will need to top up for a better set which adds to the annual filter cost. Other than that, minor complaints like the loud noise, bright indicator, and dozy sensor are livable. Regardless of where you intend to use Alen BreatheSmart, it will have no impact on the air purifier's effectiveness against mold.
In short: Alen BreatheSmart strikes a balance between price, performance, and overall dimension. With the right set of filters, you can enjoy the best of both worlds for a lifetime.
- Capture and halt airborne mold and mildew growth.
- High airflow output and CADR.
- HEPA-Pure filter (default).
- Optional ionizer.
- SmartSensor, auto mode, timer, filter life, remote control.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Requires filter upgrade (HEPA-Silver).
- No dedicated carbon filter.
Need something a little bit more affordable in dealing with mold? Again and again, Honeywell HPA300 allergen remover is your answer. It might not have an outstanding exterior or jam-packed features, the remarkable performance will make up for it. At a black housing of 20.8 x 22.4 x 10.8 inches size and 17 pounds of total weight, it is one of the most portable units on this list. No off-gassing or misalignment spotted during our long ownership. The 5 years Honeywell warranty will give you mass confidence in its reliability.
Without any complicated controls, Honeywell HPA300 is one of the easiest to use mold air purifiers. Besides turning on or off the machine, you can cycle between 4 cleaning modes: Allergen, General Clean, Germ, and Turbo mode. To tackle on mold issue, we recommend leaving it in Germ mode and use Turbo mode when the allergens are getting out of hand. There is also a 3 pre-set timer and 2 electronic filter change reminders that alert you to change or wash the filter. Lastly, the dimmer button will adjust the LED brightness level on press. Perfect for reducing the distracting glaring light at night.
Looking inside Honeywell HPA300 air purifier specification:
- CADR - 300 cfm
- Room Coverage - 465 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 4
- Air Filtration - Carbon Pre-filter, True HEPA filter
- Warranty - 5 years
Despite lacking all the fancy tech, Honeywell HPA300 air purifier has impressive 465 square footage can cover a lot of ground. The low-entry price works well for a studio, small offices, or one-bedroom apartment that does not have space to support multiple units. CADR is no slouch either. The dust CADR is at 320 cfm, and both pollen and smoke CADR is at 300 cfm. If you need to quickly remove mold, mildew, and other fungi in your home, Honeywell HPA300 air purifier will do just that.
Honeywell HPA300 uses a decade-old 3-stage filtration that is proven time and time again. The drawn-in particulates like dust, smoke, and odor will be removed by a carbon pre-filter and bar from passing through. Will most large contaminants filtered, the True HEPA filter will trap microscopic particles like pet dander, dust mite, mold, mildew, and pollen before releasing the clean air back out. The entire purification process will repeat itself until the air purifier is turned off.
Honeywell HPA300's inexpensive price tag is justified by the omission of few convenient features. There is no Auto mode, Sleep mode, AQ indicator, or remote control in the package. All you get is a timer that comes only with 3 pre-set settings. Another drawback is the high HEPA and carbon filter replacement cost especially for those that leave it on 24x7. You could save some money by purchasing the bundled pack or opt for third-party filters (not recommended). If the filter cost is too much of a burden, consider the smaller HPA200 or HPA100 variant.
In short: A great mold air purifier that is slightly dated on features. If you don't mind the manual control and lack of night mode, Honeywell HPA300 will do just fine.
- Inexpensive (after discount).
- Trap airborne mold and other fungi.
- Superb CADR for large room size.
- Carbon pre-filter.
- True HEPA filter.
- Very easy to use.
- No air quality sensor, auto mode.
- Above 100 annual filter costs.
There are lots of things to like about Airmega 400 as a mold air purifier. It is a proven, reliable, and effective mold-killing machine using only mechanical filtration. The modern exterior is largely dominated by dotted ventilation that fits seamlessly with the design. There is also a circle air quality indicator that shows how healthy or unhealthy is the indoor air. While it does nice as part of the decor, the 13.6 x 21.2 x 13.6 inches dimension and heavy 21.4 pounds will hamper its versatility.
Practicality is another strong suit of the Airmega 400 air purifier. It features a standard 1, 4, 8 hours timer, 3 selectable fan speeds, and a light button. With the built-in sensor, the Auto mode will only run at a higher fan speed when a higher concentration level of pollutants is detected. On the other hand, Sleep mode will reduce the light intensity and set the fan speed to low. On the panel, there are separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifetime indicators that work independently. Overall, Airmega 400 is a solid product with a worry-free 5 years warranty for extended peace of mind.
Looking inside Airmega 400 air purifier specification:
- CADR - 350 cfm
- Room Coverage - 1560 sq. ft.
- Fan Speed - 3
- Air Filtration - Pre-filter, Green True HEPA filter, Activated carbon filter
- Warranty - 5 years
The perfect all-in-one home air purifier that keeps mold away in the bedroom, basement, kitchen, office, and living room. Coway Airmega 400 outputs an outstanding 350 cfm CADR for dust, pollen, and smoke. The strong clean air efficiency is further compliment by the wide 150 square feet purifying coverage at 2 air changes per hour. For a person with severe mold allergies, you can increase the frequency to 4 air changes per hour at a reduced 780 square feet coverage.
Airmega 400 air purifier relies purely on a 4-stage mechanical filtration to clean the air. It is 100% ozone-free with no byproducts ever produced. Dirty air will first be pulled in through both sides of the air inlet. The outer pre-filter trap large particles like dust, hair, lint from passing through and shield the HEPA filter from getting clogged. The freed Green True HEPA filter will capture 99.97% of microscopic particles as small as 0.3 microns including mold, mildew, and pollen. The activated carbon filter focus on neutralizing smoke and musty odor created by the allergens.
Coway Airmega 300 complies with Energy Star requirement with 6 to 57 watts of power consumption per hour. Even at the highest speed, it is far more efficient than some of the mold air purifiers here. Noise level is on the quiet side with an output of 22 to 52 decibels. With the auto sleep mode feature enabled by default, you can enjoy a good night of sleep while having Airmega 300 running silently in the background.
Yet another expensive air purifier that is not meant for everyone. Airmega has a premium price tag to accommodate its long list of specifications. Thankfully there's plenty of good deals online to subsidize the price. As for maintenance, the MAX2 filter replacement will cost you around 100 dollars annually for both HEPA and carbon filters. It is required for the air purifier to function so that's something you need to ponder. Last but not least, the ionizer is surprisingly omitted here but that's not a big miss for most people.
In short: A wonderful mold removal air purifier that always comes with a great discount. If you're not into the ionizer, the mechanical HEPA filtration is more than sufficient to help curb your mold allergies.
- Swiftly capture mold and mildew in the air.
- Very wide air purifying coverage.
- Dual permanent pre-filter.
- Max2 HEPA filter and activated carbon filter.
- Smart mode (auto), air quality indicator, timer.
- Expensive (before discount).
- High filter replacement cost.
- No ionizer.
How To Prevent And Get Rid of Mold In House?
You have seen the signs, the horrifying stats, the many types of mold, and the health risks it can bring. It’s time to begin with the mold elimination project. Here are a few ways you can get rid of mold and mildew and prevent them from coming back.
- Get a dehumidifier - It reduces the relative humidity level below 50% making it inhabitable for mold and other microorganisms. A dehumidifier will complement a HEPA air purifier well that captures airborne mold and mildew.
- Fix leakage - If you spotted a leaky roof and pipes with clear water stains, replace or seal it A.S.A.P as the humid environment will promote the growth of mold.
- Improve room ventilation - Poor ventilation can lead to stale air and prevent moisture from evaporating. The quickest way is to leave windows and doors open for better airflow circulation. Turn on the exhaust fan in the kitchen during cooking and bathroom after a hot steamy shower.
- Mold protection sprays - There are many types of mold remover products that can instantly kill off mold and mildew on the surface area. A quick and effective solution but you will still need to identify the source of the mold contamination and rectify the issue before it comes back again.
- Kill mold with household items - You can use vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, grapefruit seed extract, essential oil, talcum powder, borax, or chlorine bleach. Mix it with water and start scrubbing the affected area.
- Maintainance and care - Routinely inspect and maintain your HVAC system to ensure no mold is growing in the air ducts. Replace/ wash the air filters when it is clogged with biological pollutants.
- Hire a mold remediator - If a catastrophe situation strike like a flash flood, there are little things you can do other than pumping out all the water and post-flood cleanup. You will need to hire a licensed mold contractor to perform full mold remediation. Consider applying insulation and protective coating on the wall to prevent future mold growth.
Do Air Purifiers Help With Mold?
An air purifier can remove airborne mold, mildew, musty smell, and toxic substances by trapping them into the filter. It will protect you from cough, sinus, skin rash, headache, and other illnesses triggered by mold. Take note that you will need to replace the filter regularly for optimal filtration efficiency.
Mold Poisoning Symptoms And Health Effects
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), inhaling mold will have adverse health effects. At the initial stage, one might experience mild symptoms like flu, sinus, watery eyes that are hard to call if is mold-related. Prolong exposure can trigger an asthma attack, eczema, migraine, chronic cough, nausea, and diarrhea. The toxicity of mold can also reduce eyesight, reproductive capability, mental disorders, neurological damage, respiratory tract diseases, and liver failure. As mold can survive the harshest condition, it’s always better to be safe than sorry with Mold.
How Many Types of Mold In Homes?
There are 13 types of in-home mold that some you probably never encountered before. Each type varies in size, shape, color, toxicity, and characteristics. Precautionary steps must be taken when dealing with molds to prevent infection.
- Stachybotrys Chartarum (Black Mold)
- Aureobasidium (Pink Mold)
- Serpula Lacrymans