Mold Poisoning Symptoms and Health Effects
Mold poisoning can be a serious health issue when not handle with proper care. From the mild irritant symptoms like flu, watery eyes that is hard to call if is mold-related, to your allergy-triggering symptoms like asthma, eczema, migraine, chronic cough, nausea, and diarrhea. The toxic released from mold can also lead to health risks like mental disorder, autoimmune disease, respiratory and liver failure, reduce eye sights, neurological damage and even reproductive capability. It’s always better to be safe than sorry with Mold.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?First and foremost people that has been officially diagnosed with pollen allergies by a doctor or allergist. Secondly, a person that is suspected to be allergic to pollen/ mold with seasonal symptoms as above mainly on a runny nose. Staying close to nature or has lots of tree/ plant with open windows all the time. An asthmatic person especially on children or elderly people that is at higher risk in triggering an asthma attack. Lastly, anyone that needs clean air throughout the day free from pesky pollen, spores, and mildew.
Best Air Purifier for Mold 2019
Technically any of the Blueair air purifiers would fit into our best air purifier for mold spores list, we pick Blueair Classic 605 as it is the equivalent of iPhone 7 to Blueair Pro as iPhone 7 Plus. Even though it loses out to Blueair Pro on airflow delivery rate and pollen CADR output, in no way this is an inferior machine (see the crazy 640 cfm pollen CADR hint). What you will get from this classic machine or in fact any Blueair purifier is the same HEPA Silent Technology that works its charm even against the finest airborne particles. Mold, spores, and other allergens that have been absorbed by the air purifier would have to go through a series of filtration thus eliminating any chance of airborne pollutants from getting out. Adding the best room size purifying coverage in its classic series, Blueair Classic 605 is unquestionably a very capable pollen air purifier.Blueair Classic 605 does have its fair share of downside and is "gigantic" literally. The bulky and heavy size does not fit well in constraint spaces. Blueair 605 is also very expensive both in cost and filter replacement. Depending on your purifying needs and how serious is your pollen allergies, you could opt for the smaller purifying range version in Blueair series that gain the benefits of reduced body size and price.
- Widest purifying coverage and strongest airflow in its Classic series.
- HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge particles before passing to filter media.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Very impressive dust, pollen and smoke CADR return.
- Top-notch build quality with its durable galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects easily and works well with the intuitive Blueair Friend app or Amazon Alexa.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive model in Blueair Classic series.
- Very high annual filter replacement cost.
- Lacks stand-alone pre-filter that would capture large particles from other filters.
- Lacks integrated air sensors for air quality monitoring and Auto mode. Requires the addon purchase Blueair Aware monitor to enable the feature.
- Bulky and heavy although we expect no less.
Do not be fool by Rabbit MinusA2 SPA-780A so-called “average” pollen CADR output, this is probably the ultimate 6-stage mold/ pollen eliminator you can get your hands to. It has excellent purifying coverage for any room size so it’s safe to be in a room with the air purifier on 24x7. The combination between HEPA filter and an undisputed Germ Defense customized filter is perfect to get rid of mold, pollen, mildew, and other micron size particles. Together with the support from pre-filter, medium filter, and negative ion generator, Rabbit MinusA2 will remove virtually all known airborne pollutants roaming indoor.In spite of Rabbit MinusA2 nifty purification, this is arguably the least favorable price/ airflow ratio model in our best air purifier for mold list. You will have to pay top dollar for this air purifier plus the Germ Defense customized filter addon. If you could do with a smaller purifying coverage, downgrading your choice to the cheaper but identical Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-700A.
- Full depth 6-stage filtration with improved airflow performance and coverage.
- Low filter replacement cost despite having many added filters.
- Beautiful, square design with mood light color bar.
- Wall-mountable with plenty of customized front panel design to choose from (optional purchase).
- Effective First line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- 4 Customizable filter options, AC carbon filter and Negative Ion Generator (Ionizer) for extra filtration.
- 5 fanspeed with Auto/ Pollen/ Sleep mode.
- Separate Particle, odor and light sensor. Particle/ air quality sensors sensitivity can be adjusted.
- Sensitive Sleep mode that activates and adjust the air purifier speed automatically when light is out.
- Five-year warranty with free return.
- All the added features helped push the price up to premium category.
- For the price you paid, there are better alternate options solely on purifying coverage, CADR and airflow delivery rate.
- Far from light despite being a wall-mountable unit with back wall-bracket.
While many sites did not include IQAir HealthPro Plus in their "Best air purifier for mold list" for it is not affiliate selling model worthy (psst is expensive), we wouldn't discount IQAir HealthPro Plus out as its airflow performance and filtration alone justified the inclusion. The latest version comes with an improved 25% more clean air, 32% more silent operation and 38% longer filter lifespan according to official IQAir report. What's certain is the remarkable HyperHEPA filtration that effectively tackles micron size allergens as small as 0.003 microns let alone Pollen, mold spore, and mildew. Top it off with a leading 6 fan speed mode and one of the widest purifying coverage for any room size, you can never go wrong with IQAir HealthPro Plus.That is of course when money is no biggie. If you have the budget for this mold removal machine and the sustainability of its yearly filter replacement, go right ahead. Otherwise, consider the next model if you want an air purifier that is more feature-oriented and cost much less.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Alen BreatheSmart Classic is another popular air purifier for mold with high pollen CADR output and still cheaper than the above-listed models. While the basic HEPA-Pure filter is good enough to cover for standard allergens, you will have to upgrade to at least HEPA-Silver to take full advantage of the air purifier effectiveness against microorganisms like mold. With 5 different Alen BreatheSmart variant to go for, we highly recommend going for the high trim model (like this one) that has a wider room size purifying coverage. Equipment wise, Alen BreatheSmart Classic is also well-covered with timer, remote control, air quality sensor plus Auto mode where you will appreciate the convenience of autonomous purifying.As a console pollen/ mold air purifier, nothing much negative you could associate with Alen BreatheSmart as it is well-balanced in performance, spec, and price. The closest alternate model that would give it a fight would probably be the cheaper but slightly inferior Winix HR1000.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
From Winix HR1000/ HR950 to Winix U450, most Winix air purifiers would fit well in our best air purifier for mold/ pollen list. We pick Winix NK105 out of the bunch as it is the only tower air purifier here. It’s considerably cheaper compared with the above mold air purifiers yet comes with respectable pollen CADR and airflow delivery rate. Ideal for medium to large room size thanks to its decent purifying coverage, Winix NK105 will swiftly kill of airborne allergens via its highly dependable True-HEPA filter and PlasmaWave technology. Adding timer, Auto mode and Wi-Fi enabled access in the bag, you have yourself a very well-equipped mold removal machine.On the bad side, It's not the smallest, cheapest and most silent mold air purifier in the market. Winix NK105 do however, strike a balance between price, performance and overall dimension. If you could leave out the Wi-Fi feature that brings convenience but does nothing in allergens removal, we reckon Winix NK100 would do the exact same job.
- Round tower housing that allows 360 degree air flow distribution with wide purifying coverage.
- Strong, consistent airflow to support 4 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- 4-stage filtration with True HEPA, Carbon filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Highly comprehensive scheduling via Winix SMART app where you could set multiple fanspeed at specific time and day.
- Again via the SMART app, you could turn on or off the unit at anywhere anytime.
- Child lock feature that prevent your loved one from meddling the control.
- Quick and simple filter replacement with only one filter cartridge yearly.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive to replace the all-in-one filter.
- Non-washable filter cartridge that if the filter is stuck with unwanted particles, the only solution is to replace the whole filter.
- Bright indicator light that does not dim down enough in sleep mode.
- Not easy connecting to WiFi devices including popular models such as iPad, iPhone and android devices.
Need something a little bit more affordable in dealing with mold? Again and again Honeywell HPA300 allergen remover is your answer. It might not be blessed with outstanding exterior or jam-packed features, Honeywell HPA300 returns with impressive Pollen CADR figure, remarkable purifying coverage, a reliable (3 to be exact) HEPA filter and all at a much smaller framework. Without being pull down by the price, Honeywell HPA300 is as effective as above air purifier in removing fungus, spores, and mildew. Not to mention the 5 years manufacturer warranty and great after-service support, undisputedly Honeywell HPA300 is our favorite pick as the best air purifier for mold and pollen.What you will not get in Honeywell HPA300 is best in class pollen CADR, widest purifying coverage (still good for large room size though) and complete bells and whistles from above air purifiers. Filter replacement cost is not the cheapest either but that is expected given Honeywell HPA300 low starting price.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
There are lots of things to like about Airmega 400 as a mold air purifier. It can cater for large room size thanks to the abundant airflow delivery rate (a whopping 350 cfm pollen CADR to be exact). It relies purely on mechanical filtration setup (dual pre-filter + HEPA and carbon filter). It is also one of the easiest to use mold air purifier here with clear air quality indicator and intuitive controls. Combining all that, Airmega 400 is a proven, reliable and effective pollen/ mold killing machine.Like most air purifiers listed here, Airmega 400 is expensive to own especially if your mold or pollen allergies are seasonal or temporary. Rather than going all out, consider the slightly lower spec Airmega 300 or other cheaper mold air purifier alternatives. Nevertheless, there is no harm getting an air purifier as it can purify your air from dust, smoke and other types of airborne allergens.
- 4-stage filtration with very wide purifying coverage.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both sides of the air inlet.
- Max2 filter (Green True HEPA + Activated Carbon) is great against smoke and micron size pollutants
- Auto mode with adjustable sensitivity to set the ideal speed based on room air quality.
- Sleep mode that automatically adjusts the light and speed accordingly when there is no light source.
- Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifespan indicator that is based on real-time usage and environment.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- 5 years Airmega official warranty.
- Cheaper than 400S model but still relatively expensive.
- Expensive filter replacement cost despite only one annual filter change (Max2 filter).
- No remote access (via app) as 400 have to do without Wi-Fi connectivity support.
- Lacks optional Ionizer feature even though not everyone would utilize it.
🏆 Honorable mention
- Airgle AG800 is a very expensive choice (to own and maintain) that is excellent against the pollen, spores and mold.
- In general Whirlpool air purifiers are great in tackling the spread of airborne mold and spores.
- Also consider Holmes air purifiers if you need something cheaper yet capable of doing the job.
📃 Previous holder
- Blueair Pro XL
- Winix HR1000
Best Air Purifier for Mold Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Blueair 605||3-stage||775 sq. ft. (72 m2)||9|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A||6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||9.1|
|IQAir HealthPro Plus||4-stage||1098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||9.6|
|Alen BreatheSmart Classic||3-stage||1100 sq. ft. (102 m2)||8.8|
|Winix NK105||4-stage||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.5|
|Honeywell HPA300||3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||8.5|
|Airmega 400||4-stage||1560 sq. ft. (145 m2)||8.8|
Types of Mold in Homes
From your typical Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Penicillium to your slightly less common Stachybotrys (black mold), there are 14 types of in-home mold that you probably encounter before. Each type of mold varies in size, shape, color and also characteristic alignment (Good, Bad, Worst). Unfortunately, most mold that can survive the harshest condition and is bad to our body when exposed or inhaled. Extra precautionary steps must be taken when dealing with a particular species of in-home molds.
Getting Rid of Mold In House Effectively or Naturally
You have seen the signs, the horrifying stats, the many different types of mold and ultimately the health risks it can bring. It’s time to begin with the mold elimination project. First, identify the source of the mold contamination. If is concentrated on the piping area, it could be due to water leakage. If is all over the wall, it might be because of the high humidity level. Second, rectify the problem before it starts spreading. If is just a tiny bit of mold spot, simple scrubbing with detergent and water will do the trick. If is a catastrophe situation that is out of your control, do not hesitate to request help from industry expert or licensed contractor to perform a complete cleanup via mold remediation. Third, prevent the same old issue from recurring. Whether is replacing the entire HVAC system, using an air purifier or dehumidifier, ensure the mold troubles can be halted for good.