Who is this for?An understatement that every office needs an air purifier. A good barometer would be the number of staff who have fallen ill consecutively. Smaller offices can do with just one large air purifier while large corporates could do with multiple air purifiers in every room. Offices that are located in highly polluted areas like construction sites, factories, or highways. Finally, if you are hyper allergic to dust, dust mites, mold, bacteria, or viruses. A tabletop office air purifier would really come in handy.
2022 Best Air Purifiers For The Office
|BEST BUDGET||BEST OVERALL||BEST PERFORM-ANCEPERFORMANCE|
|Blueair Pro XL Air Purifier||IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier||Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier|
|Recommended Room Size|
|1180 sq. ft. (110 m2)||1,098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)|
|Dust 950 cfm (1614 m3/h)|
Pollen 900 cfm (1529 m3/h)
Smoke 800 cfm (1359 m3/h)
|Dust 243 cfm (413 m3/h)|
Pollen 246 cfm (418 m3/h)
Smoke 232 cfm (394 m3/h)
|5 ⭐ out of 5||5 ⭐ out of 5||4.1 ⭐ out of 5|
How Do We Measure?
1. Blueair Pro XL Air Purifier
Let's start with possibly the best air purifier for office: Blueair Pro XL. How can we tell? For start, it is massive at 20 x 44 x 10 in and weight 71 lb. That's about the weight of 2 kids. Second, it has a high clean air delivery rate that goes up to 900 cfm. That means more air will be clean hourly than most air purifiers out there. Third, the HEPASilent filtration comes with 3 Blueair Pro Particle Filter and 3 Blueair Pro SmokeStop Filter. There's a total of 6 filters to take out pollutants like dust, mold, cigarette smoke, odor, bacteria, and viruses. Lastly, the noise level is surprisingly decent for an air purifier of its caliber. Even at max speed, 58 dBA is still not the worst we ever tested.
Blueair Pro XL is the best office air purifier if you are staying in a highly polluted area like in a factory. But it is very expensive that may take a hard time to convince bosses or HR department to get one. Let's not forget the super high filter maintenance cost and bare-bone features. For most offices, I would highly recommend the classic Blueair 605 that is cheaper but still delivers Blueair performance.
- Best for corporate use that covers up to 1180 sq. ft. of office spaces.
- Highest CADR output with dust 950 cfm, pollen 900 cfm, and smoke 800 cfm.
- Excellent HEPASilent Technology.
- Acceptable noise level from 32 to 58 dBA at max speed.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Super expensive with a sticker price of more than 2000.
- Annual filter replacement cost can go as high as 1080 dollars.
- Limited functionality with no autonomous mode by default.
±2,427.00 $$$$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±540-1080)
2. IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier
It's very weird to say this, IQAir HealthPro Plus is a "cheaper" alternative to Blueair Pro XL. It is a similar quality air purifier with top-notch filtration. At max speed, IQAir HealthPro Plus can cover a large 1098 sq. ft. where one model would be sufficient for an open space startup company. The HyperHEPA filter is no doubt the best HEPA filtration in the world that can capture particles as small as 0.003 microns. That's 100 times smaller than a normal HEPA filter. Supporting that is the V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter that can trap odorless and colorless chemical fumes that have been suspended in the air for days. Viral bacteria, viruses, and notorious chemicals like radon, asbestos, CO will all be swiftly removed by the air purifier.
Let's get the negative stuff out of the way. IQAir HealthPro Plus is expensive and so is the filter replacement cost. For the price you paid, you will not find air quality indicator, auto mode, sleep mode in the setup. Other than the 2 downsides, IQAir HealthPro Plus is pretty much flawless for an office air purifier. It is suitable for board room use as the mellow fan noise will not cause too much distraction.
- Covers up to a large 1098 square feet of office space.
- HyperHEPA filter and V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter MG is 100 times more effective than a normal HEPA filter.
- Reasonable noise level between 25 dB low speed to 59 dB max speed.
- 5-10 years warranty (depending on region).
- Expensive to own and maintain although not at Blueair Pro rate.
- No auto mode, sleep mode, and air quality indicator.
±899.00 $$$$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±152)
3. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
A small company occupying a small office? A smaller air purifier would fit in well. Introducing Winix 5300-2 air purifier. It is inexpensive (less than 150), up to 360 square feet of office space with 200+ cfm CADR, and 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration. The combination of True HEPA filter, carbon filter, and PlasmaWave will remove the most stubborn particles in the air. This covers indoor office pollutants such as dust, germs, radon, asbestos, cigarettes smoke, VOCs, and carbon monoxide. Adding to all that, Winix 5300-2 is packed with features such as air quality indicator, auto mode, and sleep mode that is not even found in premium models.
So what's the catch with Winix 5300-2 office air purifier for such an attractive package? The recurring filter replacement can be costly to replace and will even up the price in a few short years. Noise level is also on the louder side, especially it has a lower airflow power output. Lastly, the 2 years warranty is a bit off place as most air purifiers including Winix own has up the game to 5 years warranty.
- An inexpensive option for small to medium enterprises.
- 360 sq. ft. coverage with CADR 243 cfm dust-free, 246 cfm pollen-free, and 232 cfm smoke-free.
- 4-stage PlasmaWave technology with True HEPA filter and Carbon filter.
- Auto mode, sleep mode, and air quality indicator all come standard.
- Filter replacement cost is slightly high for its segment.
- For a mid-range performance model, the noise level is not ideal at 27.8 - 60+ dB.
- "only" 2 years warranty.
±199.99 $$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±80)
4. Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 Air Purifier
On paper, Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 would not go into our best air purifier for office list since it don't have a conventional HEPA filter. But after some intensive review and comparison, AirGenius 5 wins our heart with its almost silent operation. The QuietClean ifD technology delivers a modest 250 sq. ft. coverage yet does not relies on any conventional filter in the process. You will not have to worry about the constant fan noise spinning in the background. Perfect for a conference room or a small meeting room where the fan noise should not be part of the discussion.
Being a permanent air purifier, you have to trade-off with the no recurring filter fees for airflow efficiency. Honeywell AirGenius 5 filtration is less effective than a conventional air purifier with HEPA filter. If your office is located in an industrial area or bad air quality zone, you will be better off with any of the above options.
- Best for meeting or conference room that needs absolute silence.
- Inexpensive with decent performance at 250 sq. ft. coverage at around 160+ cfm CADR.
- Permanent QuietClean ifD technology.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Way less effective than a conventional HEPA filter.
- Not great against smoke and odor even with the gas reducing pre-filter upgrade.
±239.99 $$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±0)
5. Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780N Air Purifier
Frequent visitors to this website will know our love for Rabbit Air MinusA2. The latest Wi-Fi enabled SPA-780N is the best air purifier for office that you could hang into a wall. The boxy shape of Rabbit Air MinusA2 with side air intakes can capture particulate matters from a distance of up to 815 square feet. What's more impressive is the 6-stage filtration that consists of pre-filter, medium filter, HEPA filter, carbon filter, customized filter, and negative ion generator. No airborne particles, not even the lights of germs, bacteria, and toxic chemicals like radon, asbestos can get away from the air purifier.
As mentioned earlier, Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780N is the Wi-Fi enabled version where you can control the air purifier functionality remotely. You can check the office air quality through the apps and apply changes when necessary. Very useful to monitor and prevent your employees from fallen ill to building related illness. If you want to save some money while still reap the benefits of 6-stage filtration, go with the non-Wi-Fi version MinusA2 SPA-780A.
- Space-saving, wall-mountable body makes it ideal for the reception office.
- Cover up to 815 square feet with a maximum of 218 cfm airflow.
- 6-stage filtration with HEPA filter, carbon filter, customized filter, and ionizer.
- Mellow noise level at around 25.6 to 51.3 dBA maximum.
- Packed with features including remote access through the built-in Wi-fi.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- The hassle filter change is the only complaint that we can think of.
±619.95 $$$$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±43-85)
6. Coway Airmega 400 Air Purifier
Airmega 400 is another popular air purifier for offices that is known for its wide purifying coverage. At 2 air changes per hour, the air purifier can cover a large 1560 square feet of office space. Ideal for medium to large enterprise that has many employees occupying in a small cubicle. The high 350+ cfm CADR will swiftly get rid of bacteria and viruses before it starts spreading through airborne. Completing the set is the True HEPA filter and carbon filter that will quietly clean the air without causing too much noise disturbance.
Airmega 400 is everything you need for an office air purifier. It is beautifully designed, easy to use, and not overly bulky. It also comes with a timer, AQ indicators, auto mode, and sleep mode. For those that need Wi-Fi enabled access for remote air quality monitoring, you can get the S variant that is about 50-100 dollars more. For a studio, SOHO, SOVO, with smaller office space, go with Airmega 300 series that is cheaper but with less applicable area.
- Support up to 1560 square feet of office space. Suitable for all offices.
- High dust, pollen, and smoke CADR at around 350 cfm.
- Max2 filtration (Green True HEPA filter + Activated carbon filter).
- Comes with Air quality indicator, auto mode, and sleep mode.
- Silent operation at low speed (22 dB) and moderate noise at high speed (52 dB).
- 5 years warranty.
- Expensive but there's plenty of great deals online.
- Wi-fi enabled version is only around 50-100 more.
±749.00 $$$$$$/ 7
(annual filter cost ±130)
Where Should An Air Purifier Be Placed In an Office?
Depending on the types of air purifiers you have. Ideally, an air purifier should be placed in the center of an office area where employees spend the most time in. For example, a large air purifier is best positioned in an open space office while a small tabletop air purifier is best suited for a manager room. For best results, leave at least 1-2 feet of space between the air purifier and wall to avoid airflow disruption. If a particular area has bad air quality due to poor ventilation, smoking, or leakage, give it a higher priority for an air purifier placement.
Do Air Purifiers Work In Cubicles?
Most air purifiers will work in a cubicle to remove allergens like mold, pollen, smoke, and odor. Due to the affordable price tag and compact body, a small/ tabletop air purifier will have limited filtration that may not include an ionizer. Lower quality filters are typically found here e.g. carbon sheet or HEPA-type filter with 99% efficiency on particles as small as 2 microns. If you need to cover more than 1 cubicle, you will need a large HEPA air purifier.
Does Air Purifier Remove Dust In The Office?
All air purifiers will remove airborne dust in the office. However, dust that already settled on the wall, desk, computer, or ground will remain untouched. To boost the dust capturing performance of an air purifier, choose a model that uses True HEPA filter. A True HEPA filter can trap dust particles as small as 0.3 microns with an efficiency of 99.97%.
Will Air Purifier Affect Plants In The Office?
Air purifier will not affect office plants as it is harmless to the floral. It is designed to improve air quality by removing harmful pollutants like gases, pet dander, and pollen fresh from the flowers. Some office plants like Ivy, snake plant have air-filtering capability that will clean the air while providing oxygen at the same time. They may not be as effective as an air purifier, plants can help reduce stress, boost creativity, and productivity in an office environment.
What To Consider When Buying An Air Purifier for Office
Every office has different sizes, layout, and air quality levels. Some may need the best air purifier there is while others will do well with a tabletop air purifier. Whatever your requirement it is, understand the needs and go through every feature thoroughly. Here are some key factors to consider when buying an office air purifier:
- Office size - Dig out the office floor plan and see what floor space you are dealing with. If you intend to cover the entire floor, you will need a large air purifier. If you intend to cover only a single cubicle, a compact air purifier will do just fine.
- Cost of ownership - A large office air purifier will cost you from 300 to 2000 dollars. Filter replacement cost is estimated from 100 all the way up to 1000 dollars. Plan ahead on what you may be paying for years to come.
- Noise level - A critical benchmark especially in the meeting room. In general, an office air purifier output noise levels are between the range of 20 dB to 60 dB depending on the fan speed it's in.
- Overall size - Some air purifiers will take up a large chunk of office space due to its bulky body. Again, if you only intend to use it on your personal desk or cubicle, look for a smaller unit that can be placed on your table.
- Pre-filter - A first-stage filtration that traps dust particulates including fur, debris, and hair. Most permanent pre-filter is washable so you can wash and reuse it again.
- HEPA filter - Trap microscopic particles as small as 0.3 microns like mold, pollen, germs, and bacteria. Only go with True HEPA filter with a capture rate of 99.97% efficiency.
- Activated Carbon filter - Remove smoke particles and chemical fumes like VOCs, CO, radon, asbestos, and cigarette smell.
- UV-light - AKA the germ-killing ultraviolet light. Uses short-wavelength UV light to kill bacteria and viruses by damaging their nucleic acids and DNA.
- Ionizer - Bring suspended airborne pollutants down through the dispersion of negative ions. the negative ions in the air will merge with positive ions irritants through electrostatic charge. This caused the combined pollutants to fall due to the heavier weight and the air purifier will capture them all.
- Airflow delivery rate - The higher the output, the more pollutants will be capture per hour. For this, we usually refer to the clean air delivery rate as it is the official measurement from AHAM.
- Auto mode/ sleep mode/ Timer - Supportive autonomous function that can reduce electricity usage and keep the noise level down.
- Warranty - No matter how reputable the brand is, a person might receive a lemon unit that breaks down easily. The good news is most air purifiers come with a comprehensive 5 years warranty on parts and labors. Consider the service center location and after-sales support.
Compare Best Air Purifiers For The Office
|No||Image||Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Score||Filtration||Coverage||Fan |
|Dimension||Weight||Dust CADR||Pollen CADR||Smoke CADR||Pre-filter||HEPA filter||Carbon filter||Ionizer||UV light||Other filter||All-in-one filter||Noise level||Power output||Timer/ Scheduler||Sensors||Warranty||Auto mode||Remote control||Child lock||ENERGY STAR||Wi-Fi/ BTBluetooth||AQI||Filter indicator|
|1||Blueair Pro XL Air Purifier|
|5||3-stage||1180 sq. ft. (110 m2)||3|
20 x 44 x 10 in
(50.8 x 111.8 x 25.4 cm)
|71 lb (32.2 kg)||950 cfm (1614 m3/h)||900 cfm (1529 m3/h)||800 cfm (1359 m3/h)|
Blueair Pro Particle Filter (x3)
6 - 12 months
Blueair Pro SmokeStop Filter (x3)
6 - 12 months
|32 - 58 dB(A)||33 - 256 W||Air Intelligence Module (AIM)||5 years|
|2||IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier|
|5||4-stage||1,098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||6|
15 x 28 x 16 in
(38.1 x 71.1 x 40.6 cm)
|35.3 lb (16 kg)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
PreMax Filter F8 (S)
HyperHEPA Filter H12/13 (L)
V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter MG
|25 - 59 dB||27 - 215 W||Schedule (Time x Day x Speed)||3 years|
|3||Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier|
|4.1||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||4|
15 x 23.6 x 8.2 in
(38.1 x 59.9 x 20.8 cm)
|15.4 lb (7 kg)||243 cfm (413 m3/h)||246 cfm (418 m3/h)||232 cfm (394 m3/h)|
True HEPA filter
Odor Absorbing Carbon Filter
Filter A 115115
|27.8 - 60+ dB||5 - 70+ W||1, 4, 8 hours||VOC sensors (Air quality)||2 years|
|4||Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 Air Purifier|
|4.5||3-stage||250 sq. ft. (23 m2)||5|
11.5 x 29 x 11.5 in
(29.2 x 73.7 x 29.2 cm)
|14 lb (6.4 kg)||160 cfm (272 m3/h)||170 cfm (289 m3/h)||161 cfm (274 m3/h)|
|1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 hours||5 years|
|5||Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780N Air Purifier|
|4.7||6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||5|
21.4 x 20 x 7 in
(54.4 x 50.8 x 17.8 cm)
|19.4 lb (8.8 kg)||193 cfm (328 m3/h)||200 cfm (340 m3/h)||180 cfm (306 m3/h)|
MinusA2 HEPA Filter
12 - 24 months
MinusA2 Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter
12 - 24 months
|Negative Ion Generator|
MinusA2 Medium Filter
MinusA2 Customized Filter (4 option)
12 - 24 months+- 27.95
MinusA2 Filter Replacement Kit
12 - 24 months
|25.6-51.3 dBA||7 - 61 W||Particle/ Odor/ Light Sensor||5 years|
|6||Coway Airmega 400 Air Purifier|
|4.5||4-stage||1,560 sq. ft. (145 m2)||3|
14.8 x 22.8 x 14.8 in
(37.6 x 57.9 x 37.6 cm)
|24.7 lb (11.2 kg)||350 cfm (595 m3/h)||350 cfm (595 m3/h)||350 cfm (595 m3/h)|
Pre-filter (2 pack)
Max2 (Green True HEPA filter)
Max2 (Activated carbon filter)
|22 - 52 dB||6 - 66 W||1, 4, 8 hours||Pollution sensor, Light sensor||5 years|