Do Air Purifiers Help You Sleep Better?
An air purifier will help you achieve deep sleep by trapping all airborne irritants in the bedroom. Without those irritants triggering an allergy, you will not have to deal with a dry throat, sinus, or cough the next day in the morning. Not all air cleaners would be able to achieve that though. You will need a mechanical air purifier that uses a HEPA filter to do that. Ionizer, UV-light, odor eliminator, Electrostatic Precipitators all do not qualify.
Who is this for?Wake up with a bad headache, focusless, sore throat or sinus and have not been partying, you're in. Also, if you spend a good amount of time in the bedroom yet often didn't get a good sleep. Someone that enjoys the smoothing pink noise generated from an air cleaner. Lastly, you have baby, children, elderly or pets in the room.
Winix 5500-2 is always the first in our consideration list for many good reasons. It has decent airflow output and wide coverage that can cater for most bedroom. It is also not too bulky that will occupy a large chunk of your room size. Besides being one of the more stylish bedroom air purifiers in the market, it has features you would never think for. Those features include remote control, air quality indicator, timer, light, and odor sensor.
An air purifier may not be all the answer to your sleeping disorders if you have excessive daytime sleepiness. But if you experience breathing irregularity and sweat during sleep, Winix 5500-2 might be able to help. Its HEPA filtration can target any airborne particles that are flowing above your sleep area. Without the harmful particulates pestering your sleep, you will breathe more smoothly throughout the night.
- For less than 150 (after discount), Winix 5500-2 is affordable yet without compromising on any practicality.
- The strong airflow performance is good enough to cover most bedroom size.
- 4-stage filtration with a true HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, and PlasmaWave technology.
- Auto and sleep mode so you don't have to worry about any background fan noise and indicator light during night time.
- Timer and remote control is standard in Winix 5500-2.
- If you are being picky, the annual filter replacement cost can stack up quickly for the next few years.
- The carbon filter process might not be the quickest or most accurate to remove odor. Not a big deal since the smell will still be clear out eventually, when you sleep through the night.
If you like 5500-2 yet willing to give up on the activated carbon filter for an inferior one, Winix 5300-2 is your go-getter. This is the perfect, quiet air purifier to ensure you will have a night of uninterrupted sleep in the bedroom. Using the exact filtration, technology, and airflow delivery as 5500-2, allergies like dust, mold, and germs would be gone before you knew it.,
Nobody can live without sleep. Good quality sleep is crucial to maintain healthy wellbeing. If you are still not sleeping well despite having Winix 5300-2 presence in the bedroom, maybe air quality is not the main issue.
- For an even cheaper price, you get almost identical features and performance as 5500-2.
- Wide purifying coverage with the same satisfying airflow performance that wow us.
- The reliable 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration with True HEPA filter.
- 4 speed, Auto mode, and the must-have Sleep mode are also here.
- The carbon pre-filter is not the best against smoke and odors. So if your bedroom stinks, this is not the right model for you.
- Also the carbon pre-filter requires quarterly change. Because of this, we would rather opt for 5500-2 filter as it only needs annually change.
Another multi-purpose air purifier that works great in bedroom and living hall. Honeywell HPA300 True Allergen Remover is a powerhouse when it comes to capturing irritants. Its high CADR compliment well with the outstanding HEPA filter. If you are living in a poor IAQ area that is constantly been hampered by airborne pollutants, HPA300 would be the perfect sleeping partner.
Honeywell HPA300 is no doubt the undisputed value air purifier that works on so many levels. It is still only meant to purify your surrounding air in a bedroom. If you have insomnia because of poor lifestyle, changing that can actually do you more good than an air cleaner could.
- Only slightly more expensive than Winix with superb 300+ cfm.
- The extensive 465 sq. ft. purifying coverage can cover 2-3 times of an average American bedroom.
- Very effective True-HEPA filter in removing mold, pollen, and other microbes.
- While technically it does not have a Sleep mode, the germ mode will provide ample cleaning in pink noise.
- The lack of air quality indicator, remote and dedicated carbon filter is a big bummer.
- Filter placement cost is also not cheapest considering you have 3 filters to be replaced.
If you value performance and don't mind giving up on a few features, Coway Mighty will be a good bedroom air purifier. This boxy shaped device might not seem as capable as other air cleaners, is actually what's inside that counts. Powered by a proven 4-stage filtration that will swiftly trap all indoor pollutants within its wide coverage. It also comes with the typical add-on features that enhance the overall usability.
When an air purifier is already a few years old and still selling well. This proves something is special about it. Coway Mighty is exactly that and so much more. If you have difficulty falling asleep from nasal congestion or cough, give this air purifier a shot.
- Inexpensive given the airflow and filtration performance.
- The lowest low annual filter replacement cost here.
- Genuine True HEPA filter that works well with auto mode and the ionizer.
- Energy Saving Eco mode where you could leave the air purifier running in the bedroom all day without stop.
- Again, not the latest model so some user might be reluctant with this model.
- Average in removing indoor odors but for bedroom use we have no issue with it.
- Carbon filter lifespan is slightly shorter than the market average of 1 year.
The only air purifier here that is mountable to a wall. If your bedroom is packed with children stuff and has no space for a bulky air purifier, Rabbit Air MinusA2 is our answer. Packed with tons of features, MinusA2 has the most complete filtration that traps even the tiniest microorganisms. From mold, pollen, pet dander, bacteria, and viruses, nothing would be able to bypass the filter.
Placing an air purifier in the bedroom can be tricky if you have limited space. If money is no objection, Rabbit Air MinusA2 would not have this issue as it will be hanging by the wall. It blends in well as home decor and you have plenty of beautiful design to go for. More importantly, it will silently protect you from allergens while you are asleep.
- Mountable to a wall without affecting the airflow distribution.
- Interchangeable front panel design so your bedroom would do be as dull as others.
- Awesome and quiet 6-stage filtration that will remove all kinds of microscopic pollutants. You can even opt for a specialized filter.
- Autonomous sleep mode activation that will also turn off the indicator light.
- Filter replacement cost is surprisingly cheap.
- Very expensive and this could be the biggest deal-breaker.
- CADR is far from best but will be good enough for bedroom use.
Levoit might not be the biggest household name when it comes to air purifier, they do release some exceptional value model. One of it is Levoit LV-PUR131 air purifier. It is cheap, considerably compact yet comes with wide purifying coverage. It even comes with touch buttons and an air quality indicator for its segment. There is also a Wi-Fi enabled version you could go for but for bedroom use, it's redundant.
Sleeping can be a chore in today's society. In today's constant swiping and mindless scrolling in bed, you will need a good air purifier that can guarantee you clean air while you lay on the bed. Levoit LV-PUR131 may or may not affect your sleep quality at all, but it's good to know you will not be deprived of sleep because of bad air.
- Entry-level price with impressive specification.
- 322 sq. ft coverage that will definitely cover most bedroom.
- 2 seperate True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter.
- Filter replacement cost is only around $40 annually.
- Dust, pollen, and Smoke CADR are not the best in its segment but for bedroom use, it's fine.
- Filter lifespan is only 6 months VS most that offered 1 year.
- We're not the biggest fan of the touch-controls but it's us being picky.
🏆 Honorable mention
- Airmega 300S
- Winix HR1000
📃 Previous holder
- GermGuardian AC4825
2020 Best Bedroom Air Purifier
|Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Filtration||Coverage||Score|
|Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier|
|4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||8.5|
|Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier|
|4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||7.8|
|Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier|
|3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||8.5|
|Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier|
|4-stage||326 sq. ft. (30 m2)||9.3|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A Air Purifier|
|6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||9.1|
|Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifier|
|3-stage||322 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8|
Where To Place An Air Purifier In The Bedroom?
An air purifier should be placed next to your bed or by the corner with 1-2 feet of gap between the wall. This will effectively shield the sleeper from any incoming germ, dust, mold or pet dander. Some suggest placing an air purifier at the center for maximum bedroom coverage. Ideally it should work, but that place is usually occupied by the bed or bassinet. Another problem is the device could be an obstruction as one might trip over the cable. You can learn more about the art of air purifier placement here.
Should I Sleep with An Air Purifier On?
The air purifier should be turned on 24x7 because airborne contaminants will come and go without you realizing it. By maintaining the air quality in the air, there is zero chance of your sleep been disturb by an allergy. If you are worried about the fan noise or glaring LED light, just set the fan speed to low or switch it to Auto/ Sleep mode. That way the air purifier would operate silently in the background while you enjoy your uninterrupted doze.
Long Term Benefits Of Sleep
A night of good quality sleep is just as important as regular exercise and a healthy diet. When you have 6-8 hours of sleep consistently, the body immune system will build up thus you will unlikely to fall sick. Your body weight will maintain in a healthy state with lowered blood pressure and cholesterol. Stroke, heart diseases, and diabetes risk are lower with enough sleep. Even injuries will recover faster because the body pumps out more blood and protein. You will also be in a much cheerful mood and concentration level with be at its peak. Stress and tension will be a thing of the past when one sleeps well. Depression will unlikely afloat because your mind is in a clearer state. Lastly, cancer and tumors risk is reduced with the creation of melatonin hormone during sleep.
How Many Hours of Sleep Do You Need
For an adult, you'll need between 7-9 hours of sleep per night. For children 3-5 years old, you'll need 11-13 hours of sleep. Compared with infants need about 14-17 total hours of sleep. For children 5-10 years old you'll need 10-11 hours of sleep. For adolescents 10-17 years old, you'll need 8.5-9.5 hours of sleep per day. While our sleep requirement decreases as we age, generally older people still need at least 7 hours of sleep. When a person is suffering from insufficient sleep syndrome, it will have a direct impact on their health.
How Can I Improve The Air Quality In My Bedroom?
Air quality in the bedroom is way worse than the outdoor air quality. Here are a few tips that will help boost your room air quality in no time.
- Get a bedroom air purifier with HEPA filter. The quickest way to filter out all indoor air pollutants.
- Keep your room well-ventilated by opening more windows and doors. This only works if the outdoor air quality is better than your indoor air.
- Regularly maintain your air-con and HVAC system to ensure there is no dust from piling up and block the airflow circulation.
- Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Dust and other settled contaminants are one of the biggest contributors to airborne particles. Keep them as far away as you can.
- Dust mites often linger in the fabric, upholstery and can easily become airborne when being disturbed. Wash your bedsheets, cushion, and clothes to prevent dust mites from spreading in the air.
- Get some air-filtering houseplants like english ivy, snake plant or bamboo palm. It may not be as effective as an air purifier, it will still clean your air from CO and other airborne pollutions.
- Beeswax candle, salt lamps, and essential oil are all good remedy to clean air. They release negative ions that will bring down positive ions airborne pollutants. Your room will be filled with fragrance smell that can also help to alleviate your asthma symptoms.
What To Look For When Choosing The Best Air Purifier For A Bedroom?
- Cost of ownership - $150-300 is our target range with annual filter cost less than $100. Some models will cost you more but in return, you will get more features and performance.
- Size and weight - Generally, a good bedroom air purifier tends to the size of a bedside table. Weight would not be a big problem where you could still easily move it around.
- Room size - United States bedroom size on average is between 120 and 150 square feet. We recommend getting an air purifier with at least 200 sq. ft. coverage at 2 air changes per hour.
- HEPA filter - Only True HEPA filter as some irritants like bacteria can only be captured by the certified filter.
- Carbon filter - While we are not that particular with a deodorization filter, is good to know is there. If you have an issue with smoke and odor in your bedroom, a carbon filter is a must.
- Sleep mode - Very useful feature that helps user operate the air purifier throughout the night. The mode will typically set the fan speed to the lowest and dim down indicator light. Some models like MinusA2 will activate Sleep mode autonomously when there is no light source.
- Noise level - Very important as the air purifier fan noise can be a big distraction to your sleep. Choose a model that will run in white or pink background noise.
- Branding reputation - Since we will be running the air purifier 24x7, reliability can be critical here. A model with a long period of warranty and good after-service support is appreciated.