Who is this for?Since evaporative humidifiers are cool-mist that pose no hazard risk, it is suitable for everyone from baby, children, adult, elderly, or anyone with morning sinus. Adding the high moisture output, evaporative is ideal in large spaces like a living hall, basement, kitchen, or bedroom. Lastly, you can use an evaporative humidifier when indoor humidity levels drop below 30 percent. Very useful during the winter season where the air is stale and dry to breathe in.
2020 Best Cool Mist Humidifiers
|Humidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|Homasy HM510A Cool Mist Diffuser Humidifier|
|Up to 180ml/h||300 sq. ft. (28 m2)||8.3|
|Honeywell HCM-350 Humidifier|
|Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier|
|250 sq. ft. (23 m2)||8.3|
|Geniani 4L Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier|
|220 sq. ft. (20 m2)||8.3|
|Honeywell HCM-6009 Humidifier|
|9 gallon (72 pints)||2300 sq. ft. (214 m2)||8.3|
|Everlasting Comfort EC-H Humidifier|
|500 sq. ft. (46 m2)||8.3|
Lets kick starts the list with the best cool mist humidifier for small bedroom. Homasy HM510A is an entry-level, cool mist humidifier diffuser that specializes in aromatherapy treatment. At less 40 for a brand new unit, it comes with a decent 300 sq. ft. coverage with 30 hours of runtime. Not bad for a cool-mist humidifier that is designed to be compact with a small 0.7 gallon reservoir. At front, you have 2 clearly indicated buttons that control the dual mist speeds and optional indicator light. Because it uses ultrasonic technology that relies on high frequency to distribute moisture, the 28 dB output is whisper quiet. Ideal for children's bedroom or nursery home that needs the humidifier to run quietly without causing any noise distraction. Adding the convenience essential oils tray, Homasy HM510A can help you relax, destress, and sleep soundly at night.
There are a lot of good things going on with Homasy cool-mist humidifier diffuser, but performance is slightly under par. Given its 7.3 x 11.6 x 7.3 in a compact body and low price tag, there are more powerful units out there that can increase the humidity of the room a lot faster. You will also have to constantly refill the water tank even if you run it at the lowest speed. There is also no auto humidification so if you want autonomous operation while you're away, pick a more premium model.
- Affordable filterless ultrasonic humidifier and oil diffuser.
- Cover up to 300 sq. ft. with 30 hours of non-stop operation.
- 2 mist output with 28 dB whisper quiet operation.
- Easy to refill 0.7 gallon water tank.
- Weak airflow with a fairly small water tank.
- No auto humidification.
A 2-in-1 cool mist humidifier with air purifier capability? Honeywell Cool mist UV humidifier is your answer to clean, healthy air. It is a beautiful, easy to use humidifier that can effortlessly add moisture to the air at a single touch of a button. At the same time, the hybrid humidifier can also make sure the disperse water vapor is germ-free. Achievable through the UV technology that uses ultraviolet light to kill 99.9% of bacteria that is pulled in. On top of that, there is a wicking filter that capture large particles from the water and antimicrobial inhibits microorganisms like mold, pollen, fungi from growth. The dual filtrations combination will act as a layer of protection from moldy water tank.
With a consistent run time, Honeywell HCM-350 can easily cover 300 square feet of room size with 30 hours of continuous operation. The entire operation is silent thus it is suitable for bedroom, workstation, living room, or anywhere with low humidity. Our only beef is the slightly high selling price and replacement cost for the wicking filter and UV bulb. Some people complained about the small water tank and lack of auto mode, but we think it's redeemable given the compact body and air purifying feature.
- Less than 100 for a Cool mist UV humidifier.
- 300 sq. ft coverage with up to 30 hours of operation.
- Comes with a wicking filter that traps and inhibits mold growth.
- Kill bacteria and viruses via the built-in UV light technology.
- Zero noise operation. Perfect for night use.
- Recurring cost as the wicking filter and UV light bulb requires replacing.
- No precise humidity adjustment and auto mode.
- Relatively small 1-gallon water tank.
Perhaps the most popular cool mist humidifier in Amazon. We love Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier just like everyone else. It has a very accessible price tag that still comes with a night light, dual mist speed, and automatic shut off features. It is also easy to use as you have a single one-touch button for everything. The transparent water tank is also very easy to monitor the water level and any mold spot. More importantly, Pure Enrichment MistAire humidifier can help increase your indoor humidity level. Just within days of operation, you can feel the air is much more breathable, the skin is hydrated with fewer allergies occurring. You will wake up feeling more refresh and productive throughout the day. Not bad for a 30+ dollars investment.
Another thing we like about Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is the usability. You can refill and take out the water tank for cleaning with ease. the long 5 years warranty is also a good assurance to have on the product durability. That said, do not expect high quality material, strong performance, and auto humidification here. There is not even an essential oil tray support available in other models. This is a no-frills, entry-level cool-mist humidifier that works well on the important things.
- Affordable humidifier with decent 250 square feet coverage.
- Glowing night light can be turned off when not needed.
- Ultrasonic technology that produces zero noise and requires no filter replacement.
- Transparent blue water tank that is very easy to refill and clean.
- 5 years worry-free warranty.
- Only up to 16 hours of continuous use. Not for whole-day humidification.
- No Essential oil support.
- Basic unit with zero add-on features.
One of the best cool mist humidifier for baby and small room. Geniani 4L Cool Mist Smart Aroma is a small yet practical humidifier with ultrasonic technology. The frequency dependant humidification can add dampness to a room up to 220 square feet. Very effective especially during the winter where the air is dry. Unlike most models that are bare-bones in this category, Geniani comes standard with 4 mist settings with Smart mode. You can manually adjust the speed or leave it in Smart mode that automatically adjusts the right humidity level based on the room condition. The night light feature is also here where you can selectively activate it at night for the little one. Let's not forget the essential oil tray where you can add your favorite plant extracted scent to ease stress, relieve migraines, headache, and even repel mosquito.
On paper, Geniani 4L Cool Mist Smart Aroma might not shine with its small 1.1 gallon water tank, only 18 hours of runtime, and a modest 38 dB noise operation. The non-transparent water tank may not be everyone liking too as you will have to rely on the small windows to peek through the water. All those drawbacks are not detrimental and can look pass if you plan to use it in a small bedroom. But when you consider all the convenience features and the compactness form factor, Geniani cool mist humidifier will offer an exceptional value that one could not resist.
- 4 mist output that covers up to 220 square feet of room size.
- Smart mode that automatically adjusts the humidity level between 40-60%.
- LED night light that can be disabled during day time.
- Bigger 1.1 gallon water tank despite the compact body.
- Stress reliever aromatherapy function.
- Only up to 18 hours of continuous humidification.
The most powerful and best cool-mist humidifier in this list. Honeywell HCM-6009 QuietCare Cool Mist Console Humidifier is the model to go for if you want to cover a large area with low humidity. Featuring a powerful cool moisture evaporative technology that can add moisture to a room up to 2300 square feet. With HCM-6009, you only need a single humidifier to humidify an entire condominium or single storey terrace with doors opened. Very effective during the winter season that has HVAC running in the background. In order to support the strong moisture output, the big 3-gallons dual reservoir can hold water for up to 24 hours of non-stop operation. To further extend the runtime, Honeywell HCM-6009 comes with advanced mist humidistat that will automatically turn the humidifier on when the room humidity level is low and off when desire humidity point is reached.
With such a big moisture output, you will need to ensure the disperse water vapor are clean because breathing in mold can aggravate our health. That's why Honeywell HCM-6009 comes with a Protec Antimicrobial wicking filter that can reduce minerals buildup and inhibits 99.99% of mold growth. With no mold, mildew, and other microbes growing in the water, less cleaning is needed in the water tank so you can spend more time doing the things you loved.
So let's touch on the things we didn't particularly like in this cool-mist humidifier. Honeywell HCM-6009 QuietCare Cool Mist has a very dated design with conventional dial knob control. Pricing is not cheap either and so is the wicking filter replacement cost. If you do not replace the wicking filter in time, there could be mold growing in it and the humidifier will not function without one. Lastly, there is no support for the aromatherapy feature because there is no essential oil tray built-in.
- Powerful cool moisture evaporative technology that covers up to 2300 square feet.
- Automatically turn the humidifier on/ off via Advanced Mist Humidistat.
- Large 3-gallon water tank that supports all-day humidification.
- Antimicrobial wicking filter that traps particles and inhibits 99.99% of mold growth.
- 3 years warranty.
- High annual filter replacement cost.
- No essential oil support.
- Dated design with old-fashion controls.
As the name implied, Everlasting Comfort Bedroom EC-H is the best cool mist ultrasonic humidifier for bedroom use. It whispers quietly during the whole humidification and the night light works very well without being too glaring. There is also an essential oil tray that you can use your favorite natural oil extracted from plants. Most essential oils are antiseptic that can boost your mood, help you sleep better, relieve skin irritation and headache. Another stand out feature of Everlasting Comfort EC-H is the strong mist output that can add moisture to a room up to 500 square feet. The large 1.6 gallon water tank that can support up to 50 hours of continuous runtime before requires refilling. Not bad for a cool-mist humidifier that is meant for bedroom use.
There are few minor cons with Everlasting Comfort though. The 4.1 lb weight is not the lightest even before water is added. No auto humidification is available which is a big miss for us. Refilling is not the easiest given the non-tansparent tank and tight opening. Thankfully this only has to be done every few days. So in conclusion, if you want a powerful cool-mist humidifier and can forego the auto mode, Everlasting Comfort will be the "everlasting" choice.
- Easy to use, filter-free cool mist humidifier.
- Cover a wide 500 sq. ft. room space.
- Very large 1.6 gallon water tank for continuous 50 hours of humidification.
- Optional LED night light and essential oil tray.
- Silent ultrasonic operation.
- No auto humidification at this price range.
- Slightly troublesome to refill due to the big water tank.
How to Choose the Best Cool Mist Humidifier [Buying Guide]
With so many models to choose from, picking the right humidifier can be difficult if you are not familiar with the technology. The perfect model can help increase room dampness level silently while you go on with your daily life. In this buying guide, we will look into all the features you should look into like the size, noise level, and performance. Whether is an evaporative or ultrasonic technology, the cool-mist humidifier should bring the best value for the price you paid.
- Types of cool mist - Evaporative, ultrasonic, and impeller humidifiers are the 3 common options. Each type of humidifier has its own advantage and disadvantages. Evaporative humidifiers are generally more powerful but will leave white dust and mineral residues. You will have to clean the water tank regularly and replace the wicking filter. Ultrasonic or impeller humidifier is silent, leaves fewer mineral deposits but is less effective in releasing moisture. Either way, any cool-mist humidifier can alleviate wheezing, eczema, cough, itchiness, and sleep apnea due to dry air.
- Humidifying coverage - Along with mist output, this is an important factor in choosing a cool-mist humidifier. Most ultrasonic humidifiers can cover small to medium room sizes while evaporative humidifiers can cover a large room. Knowing the room size you need the humidifier to humidity can cross out the models that do not fit into the criteria. We always recommend opting for a model that can cover a larger gound so you have the flexibility to use in larger spaces when needed.
- Wicking filters - This one is for evaporative humidifiers only. Wicking filters can help remove dust, mold, and other allergens in the water so only clean moist air is distributed. Pick a model that uses a larger wicking filter so more contaminants can be trapped at one time. Some wicking filter comes with an antimicrobial that prevents trapped microorganisms from growing. Give higher priority to those as well.
- Essential oil tray - There are lots of benefits inhaling to the aromatherapy oil. Not only your room will be filled with a delightful smell, essential oil can stimulate the olfactory system, and act as respiratory disinfection plus decongestant. If you want a humidifier with aromatherapy feature, go with an ultrasonic model.
- Overall dimension - Knowing where you intend to place the cool-mist humidifier can help you decide which model to go for. Most humidifiers are fairly compact in size and lightweight without accounting for the added water. If you intend to place in on a bedside table, go with a portable humidifier with a small 1-gallon water tank. If you have the room space, go with a large humidifier with a bigger reservoir that can hold at least 3 gallons of water. That way you will get a stronger mist output without having to refill the water on a daily basis.
- Selling price - An entry-level cool-mist ultrasonic humidifier will cost you between 30-60 dollars while a premium model is still below the 100 dollars mark. Cool-mist evaporative humidifiers will be around the range of 100-200 dollars depending on the mist output. An ultrasonic humidifier usually comes with an essential oil tray that requires replacing when used. Evaporative humidifier relies on a wicking filter to clean the air and is a necessary component in the humidification. Expect to pay between 30-100 dollars annually just to replace filter.
- Noise level - All cool-mist humidifier operates silently in the background (less than 30 dB). This is especially true with ultrasonic models that produce virtually zero noise at any speed. The perfect choice if you want the humidifier to work quietly in the bedroom, baby's room, or office without causing any noise distraction.
- Power consumption - Not a big concern for cool-mist humidifiers. This is because there are no heating elements involved in the humidification. If you want the most energy-efficient unit, go with a smaller and lower mist output model. You can easily tell if the humidifier has a weaker moisture performance via the small water tank.
- Warranty - Most models come with a standard 1-year warranty that covers everything except filter. You should give higher priority for brands that offer a 2 to 5 years warranty when buying a cool-mist humidifier. During the warranty periods, you have total confidence in leaving it running 24x7 and do not have to worry if the humidifier breaks down. The location of the service center is also another factor you should think about when choosing a humidifier. Some models do not even have an office here in the U.S. Anything goes wrong, you will have to ship it back to the origin country.