Why is Getting Enough Sleep Important
Having enough sleep is vital for our health and happiness. It will boost our work performance both physically and mentally. As mentioned in our can air purifier help with sleep post, it is scientifically proven by many sleep institutions across the globe. Rather than focusing on the bad side of sleep deprive, below are the key benefits of having a good night sleep.
- Sick less with a stronger immune system
- Lowered blood pressure and cholesterol
- Maintain body weight as less craving on midnight snacks
- Swifter recovery in injuries (higher blood flow)
- Improves memory and clearer thoughts
- Happier mood, and reduce stress
- Lowered the risk of stroke, heart diseases, and diabetes
- Reduce cancer and tumors risk
Who is this for?If you're living in a humid environment let alone the bedroom, a dehumidifier would come in handy. Else if you have trouble sleeping or waking up at the wrong side of the bed, considered one. Another sign is waking up with a bad headache, sore throat or cold. Lastly, you have a baby, children, elderly or simply spend a lot of time in the bedroom.
Best Dehumidifiers for a Bedroom Review
Let's start our best dehumidifier for bedroom review with a 30-pint model. Frigidaire FFAD3033R1 is a full-fledged, standalone model that is perfect for a small studio. It has all the bells and whistles that you would expect from a dehumidifier of this category i.e. autonomous safety features. It is also very easy to use with a big collection bucket so you do not have to empty the water every day or so. Best of all, the antibacterial mesh filter will stop dust, mold, and spore from traveling together with the air. Giving you greater peace of mind that most dehumidifiers couldn't.
Frigidaire FFAD3033R1 30-pint is not the cheapest nor it is silent when compared with a mini dehumidifier. The extra raw power means the dimension has to be compromised even though it is considerably small for its class. But that's the whole point, it is not and shouldn't be viewed or compared with a mini type. If you want a convincing dehumidifier for bedroom for many years to come, this will do well.
- Superb 30-pint dehumidification performance.
- Beautiful SpaceWise design surprisingly not too bulky for its class.
- Antibacterial mesh filter that inhibits mold and bacteria growing in the bucket.
- Auto-restart, auto-defrost, auto shutoff, and low-temperature operation.
- Audible noise when compared with a mini dehumidifier.
- No continuous mode option in the control panel.
Like Frigidaire but want something is slightly cheaper? Vremi B07JNZFRC8 30-pint is your bet. It is the perfect master bedroom dehumidifier as it has consistent dehumidification performance. The high moisture capturing is supported by a large reservoir that allows users to manually clear the water for an extended period of time. Shifting to features, all the convenience and safety stuff are also here. You have auto-shutoff and auto-restart that works well if your area has a frequent blackout. It can operate at low temperatures plus there is auto-deicing in place. The controls are also a bliss to use with dedicated functions and an easy to read digital humidistat.
Vremi B07JNZFRC8 30-pint dehumidifier does have a few setbacks that you would not be surprised. First, the bulkiness can a little bit hindering if you are staying in a small room with a double bed. Then there is also the fan noise that can be distracting if you are planning to place it next to you. Considered this if you enough space to place it further away from the bed./
- Clean, modern design with multiple grabbing handle and casters.
- Large reservoir especially for bedroom use.
- Easy to clean honeycomb filter that will stop initial dust and microbes.
- 30-pint dehumidification that covers up to 1,500 square feet.
- Full safety features and controls including digital display, filter indicator, and comfort mode.
- Not suitable as a bedside model because of the noise output.
Tosot GDN30AZ-A3EBA2C 30 Pint dehumidifier is our best pick for bedroom and studio. It is reliable with solid build quality as we have mentioned time and time again. It has effective dehumidification that can even cover a living hall. Despite the high airflow performance, it is actually pretty quiet that you barely hear any noise at normal speed. Perfect companion for a good night sleep or binge-watch. Like the above 2, there is also a removable filter that requires washing every now and then. At the front, we really like the slide-out bucket that is easy to take out for emptying. Ending the impressive features is the top gadgets with digital humidity reading, 2 fan speeds, filter check, and a 24-hour timer.
Tosot brand has always been associated with one of the best dehumidifiers around. It does hold a few baggages mainly on the size. Dual drainage access, auto outage, and auto-defrosting will contribute to the overall weight. To make up for that, it comes with 4 caster wheels that make moving the dehumidifier from room to room an easy task. If you need to place it beside your bed, Tosot GDN30AZ-A3EBA2C is technically still doable if you don't mind the bulkiness.
- Full-size model with complete controls and autonomous dehumidifying.
- Effectively capture up to 30-pint moisture per day.
- Built to last that supports 24 hours of continuous operation.
- Huge drainage bucket with a clear level indicator.
- Less than 50 dB noise level for its caliber.
- Bulky and heavy as a bedroom dehumidifier.
Danby 30 Pint DDR030BHWDB is perhaps one of the best dehumidifiers for a large bedroom. It has typical 30-pint coverage (up to 1,500 sq. ft.) and during our test, the airflow delivery is very stable throughout the 24 hours duration. You can place it at any spot of the bedroom without having to worry about any consistency issue. The washable filter is also large enough so you don't have to wash it very often. Then there are the 2 "Smart" features that we really like. The smart dehumidifying will automatically set the humidity level based on room temperature. And the smart controls that include a digital screen with room temperature, and humidity level readout.
So what's there not to like about Danby DDR030BHWDB? Very little to be honest. First, the expected fan noise compared with a fanless thermo-electric dehumidifier. Second, the mild heat generated that may give you the false impression that it is increasing the room temperature. Two minor and neglectable things will have little impact on your sleep.
- Cover up to 1,500 square feet bedroom.
- Simplistic design with a big front bucket that is beautiful and functional.
- Low-temperature operations (41F) with auto de-icing.
- Smart control with room temperature and humidity level display.
- Disperse mild heat during pro-long operation.
- Loud noise compared with thermo-electric dehumidifier.
Ivation IVADM35 Is perhaps the best small room dehumidifier based on the reviews in Amazon and yours truly. It is perfect for someone that wanted something small, easy to use, and very affordable (less than 80). With just a flick of a button, you can leave the dehumidifier running all-day without having to worry about any complicated setup. There is also no filter cleaning needed (because there is none) so you will only need to empty the water bucket every now and then. Best of all, it is extremely quiet thus it is perfect as a bedside dehumidifier for overnight operation.
As a mini dehumidifier, Ivation IVADM35 suffers from poor moisture capturing performance that is only meant for a small area. Even though the water tank can hold up to 3 days of water, it still can't beat draining the water straight to a drain hole. If you are not going to use it next to a bed or for walk-in wardrobe, the dehumidifying coverage is probably not going to be enough.
- Compact, easy to use with 3 days of water holding capacity.
- Whisper-quiet thermo-electric technology.
- Auto shut-down feature.
- Slow dehumidifying that is best placed on beside or wardrobe use.
Hands down SEAVON MD-819 is the cheapest bedroom dehumidifier here by a long stretch. It has all the elements of a good mini dehumidifier around. From auto cut-off mode, silent thermo-electric technology, low power usage to one-touch operation. The bucket slides out smoothly and clearing the collected water is a piece of cake. If your bedroom humidity level is still manageable and you need something cheap and simple, this will fit in perfectly.
SEAVON MD-819 Mini Dehumidifier flaws are obviously the poor dehumidification. It has only an estimated 170 square feet coverage and will only take in 9 ounces of water per day. It will also topple over easily if you have children or pets looming around. At such a low price point, it is still a great small dehumidifier but do keep your expectation low.
- One of the cheapest option here than cost less than 40 dollars.
- High portable and small for beside table or wardrobe use.
- Extremely silent and energy-efficient.
- Auto shut-off is standard here.
- Small water tank that requires emptying every 2-3 days.
- Weak moisture capturing. Will not work below 41°F temperature.
2020 Best Dehumidifiers for a Bedroom
|Dehumidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|Frigidaire FFAD3033R1 30-pint Dehumidifier|
|30 pints (22 pints DOE 2019)||8.3|
|Vremi B07JNZFRC8 30-pint Dehumidifier|
|30 pints (22 pints DOE 2019)||1500 sq. ft. (139 m2)||8.4|
|Tosot 30 Pint Dehumidifier|
|30 pints (22 pints DOE 2019)||1500 sq. ft. (139 m2)||8.5|
|Danby 30 Pint Dehumidifier|
|30 pints (22 pints DOE 2019)||1500 sq. ft. (139 m2)||8.9|
|Ivation IVADM35 Mini Dehumidifier|
|20 oz||2200 ft3||5.5|
|SEAVON MD-819 Dehumidifier|
|9 oz||170 sq. ft. (16 m2)||5.9|
How Much Sleep Do You Need by Age?
For a grown-up, it is recommended to have 7 to 9 hours of sleep per day. This includes the elderly (above 65 years old) despite the sleep demand will decreases as we age. For adolescents (10-17 years old), you will need 8.5 to 9.5 hours of sleep per day. For children (5-10 years old), you will need 10 to 11 hours of sleep. For toddler group (3-5 years old), you will need 11 to 13 hours of sleep. For infants (less than 2 years old), you will need 14 to 17 hours of sleep.
Where To Place a Dehumidifier For Bedroom?
You can place a dehumidifier anywhere in the bedroom but leave 1 to 2 feet of gaps between the wall, wardrobe, or bed to prevent airflow disruption. Also, make sure it is on a hard surface and avoid placing on top of carpet to prevent water spillage. Ultimately, the noise level produced will have a say in the placement of a dehumidifier. For mini dehumidifier that is completely silent but with limited coverage, the best spot is next to a bed preferably on the bedside table. For a 30-pint model with stronger moisture capturing, you can place it further but be careful not to topple the device or trip over the wire.
Is It Safe To Leave a Dehumidifier On All Night?
It is perfectly safe for a dehumidifier to run all night as it will reduce the numbers of mold, mildew, and dust mites. Without the allergens occupying our breathing space, we can achieve deep sleep free from discomfort. A dehumidifier will also never dehydrate you even if is running during the whole night. You will likely feel dehydrated due to the lack of water, food allergy or sickness.
Keep in mind that not all dehumidifiers need to run 24/7 as it would put an unnecessary burden on the compressor. Go with a model with auto-shutoff features that will stop the operation when a humidity point is reached. If the room humidity is still not too bad, consider setting a timer to limit the dehumidifier run time.
Do Dehumidifiers Help You Sleep Better?
A dehumidifier can help you sleep better by creating ideal humidity conditions. By drawing in excessive moisture in the bedroom, it makes the air much more comfortable to breathe in. A bedroom dehumidifier will reduce the numbers of airborne mold and microbes that can disrupt your sleeping pattern. Without those sleep disruptors, one can expect a better sleep cycle and achieve greater numbers of REM sleep. You will feel much fresher, energetic, and happier for the rest of the day.
What To Look for In a Bedroom Dehumidifier?
Dehumidifiers are very similar in specification. You have to make the right choice over the hundreds of options online. There are a lot of factoring points in choosing the best dehumidifier for a bedroom. We have spent countless hours comparing model after model in a controlled environment. So here are the things you should look out for (in no particular order) when hunting for a dependable moisture-absorbing partner.
- Durability - Regardless if is a mini, compact or small dehumidifier, the build quality is very important for long-haul operation. If the models have collected many bad reviews, is it best to avoid them.
- Dimension - The smaller the dehumidifier, the better it is for a bedroom as it will eat up less interior space.
- Pricing - A mini dehumidifier should not cost more than $100 and a 30-pint dehumidifier should be below the $200 price point. That is the benchmark that we set.
- Noise level - Critical factor as most dehumidifier here will be running through the night. We do not want our sleep to be interrupted by the loud spinning fan noise.
- Power consumption - Look for Energy Star certified model. Obviously the less energy a dehumidifier consumes, the lower electricity bill it will be. Very important if you are planning to operate in long hours.
- 24-hour Timer - We tend to set 8 hours run time by default during our sleep or before we left for work. Very useful if you stayed in a high humidity environment all year long.
- Auto shut-off – Stop the device from running when the bucket is full. A must-have in every dehumidifier.