An air purifier is not an air purifier without a HEPA filter. Strong words although it does have some point to it. In this best HEPA air purifier for home list, we will understand more about HEPA filter, why is it effective, what can it do and who is this for. To qualified into the list, each air purifiers must passed the first criteria which include a pre-filter whether as a stand-alone or a combination filter, second a genuine HEPA filter/ layer that is effective against allergen, bacteria and viruses and lastly able to catered for most home with sufficient airflow and purifying coverage. At the end of the day, there will be at least one HEPA air purifier that would suit you according to your needs and home.
What is HEPA filter?
Acronym for High Efficiency Particulate Air, HEPA filter is a very common and effective mechanical air filter found in most modern air purifiers. Made from thin interlaced fibers, HEPA filter has an efficient rate of 99.97% against airborne particles that cannot be capture by standard filter. Most HEPA filter in the market can eliminate harmful particles as small as 0.3 microns e.g. pollen, bacteria and viruses while premium brand such as IQAir, Blueair could go further by handling even the tiniest possible particles.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Virtually anyone that wants fresh clean air free from allergens, bacteria and viruses. Asthmatic patient or people with hyperallergic would benefit greatly from a cleaner air. Young and old that tend to have weak immune system specially baby and children. Person staying in high moisture home that is constantly fighting against mold. Person staying in a bad environment neighborhood such as industrial area or next to highway, lastly and surprisingly to most, staying close to nature/ countryside with windows wide open therefore seasonally inviting pollen from invasion.
While you can't go wrong with any of IQAir HealthPro models, we picked IQAir HealthPro Plus as our ideal HEPA home air purifier because it has one of the best filtration carbon filter . All IQAir HealthPro models utilize the same HyperHEPA Filter that handle the tiniest size particles as small as 0.003 micron size. Remarkable given standard HEPA filter can only trap particles at best 0.3 microns. Other beneficially features include a wide purifying coverage that would cover any room size plus abundant of airflow delivery rate via its highly adjustable 6 speed.Bulky, heavy, lacks Auto mode and AQ sensor is always the niggling points of HealthPro air purifier. If you can live with that plus the price bump for the carbon filter, IQAir HealthPro Plus should always be in your bucket list.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Blueair has one of the most complete series air purifier that covers small "studio" room size to large "mansion" room size (see Blueair Pro XL purifying coverage). We picked the best in its classic range as it's better balanced between price, airflow and purifying coverage. First off Blueair 605 standard particle filter is very effective against allergens, mold and pollen as small as 0.1 microns. The HEPASilent technology is able to achieve maximum filtration efficiency due to pre-filter and ionizer combined effort in filtering out large and tricky airborne particles. Adding the wide purifying coverage that would cater for most home, this highly reputable HEPA machine is a good alternative to IQAir HealthPro Plus.Same air purifier buying rules applied to Blueair models, the more powerful the unit is the costlier and bulkier it will be. No exception with the bulky Blueair Classic 605. If you want a space-efficient unit, you could downgrade to either Blueair 405 or 205.
- Widest purifying coverage and strongest airflow in its Classic series.
- HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge particles before passing to filter media.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Very impressive dust, pollen and smoke CADR return.
- Top-notch build quality with its durable galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects easily and works well with the intuitive Blueair Friend app or Amazon Alexa.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive model in Blueair Classic series.
- Very high annual filter replacement cost.
- Lacks stand-alone pre-filter that would capture large particles from other filters.
- Lacks integrated air sensors for air quality monitoring and Auto mode. Requires the addon purchase Blueair Aware monitor to enable the feature.
- Bulky and heavy although we expect no less.
Winix brand also have a diverse portfolio ranging from the entry-level Winix 5300-2 to advanced Winix T1. We recommend Winix HR1000 as it has all the modern techs including Wi-Fi support and a comprehensive 5-stage filtration to help ease the burden of HEPA filter. The True HEPA filter manage to perform exceptionally well thanks to its permanent pre-filter that take out all large particles upfront. The antimicrobial coat would protect the HEPA filter from microorganisms growth thus prevent any performance reduction efficiency. Winix HR1000 wide purifying coverage would also covers large room size including living hall and lounge.Winix HR1000 not the smallest in the class, again similar approach with Blueair, you could go with the slightly cheaper Winix HR950 if you do not need the Wi-Fi support, Winix 5500-2 for smaller purifying coverage or Winix U450 which we also highly recommend.
- 5-stage filtration with PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Permanent washable pre-filter.
- True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter that is equally effective against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 5 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Dual sensors (Particle, VOC) with air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allow distant control and advanced scheduling (multiple fanspeed on any specific hours and day).
- Child lock feature that prevent children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive bundled filter replacement with yearly replacing needed.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glare up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as straightforward as it requires pressing on the WiFi button to enable the link up.
All 3 BreatheSmart models is a good candidate for best home HEPA air purifier. We picked the mid child Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 as it strike balanced between price and performance. The default HEPA-Pure filter is more than capable of tackling household contaminants and allergens, you do have the option to upgrade your filter in one of the selectable 3 that would better manage microorganism and odor troubles. With or without the filter upgrade, Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 has an excellent supporting cast in the form of pre-filter and ionizer that further enhanced the filter lifespan and usability. Further complimenting with its sufficient purifying coverage for most home, Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 would be a great alternative to Winix brand.As mentioned earlier, you could either opt for the original Alen BreatheSmart with higher purifying radius that obviously cost more or the least expensive and smallest Alen BreatheSmart Flex. Neither of the 3 models has a dedicated carbon filter but that would never hinder it as a great HEPA air purifier.
- Multiple color option/ wood trim design front panel cover.
- Excellent purifying coverage/ airflow delivery although its less effective against standard BreatheSmart.
- Up to 3 specialist filter upgrades (HEPA-FreshPlus , HEPA-Silver, HEPA-OdorCell).
- Ionizer is optional that can be disable via the button.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) on regular use.
- Smart Filter replacement indicator that calculates filter lifespan based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- 4 fanspeed with Auto mode, SmartSensor, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with safe vent guard and locking control panel.
- Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- HEPA-Pure filter lacks odor filtration and optional filter with deodorization requires top up.
- No dedicated odor carbon filter to support the HEPA filter lifespan.
- Noise is clearly audible at higher speed although still bearable.
Austin Air probably has the most identical lineup in terms of exterior design. We choose the standard HealthMate as it is the least expensive HEPA air purifier without getting penalized on its airflow delivery performance. What's great with Austin Air HealthMate air purifier is it has the exact same extensive purifying coverage in any models, plus the same trio "pre-filter" that filter out as much airborne particles as possible so the 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter would have space to work its magic. Because of the filters combined effort, the cartridge which consist of HEPA filter has an outstanding filter lifespan up to 5 years; the best in this list by a far margin.What's lacking in Austin Air purifier is almost any modern features available elsewhere including air quality sensors, Auto mode, timer and more... Not a great deal for some but is at least the things you should be aware. There is also a Jr version for most of its lineup that cut down on size and price trading off for a smaller house.
- Great for all room sizes with its comprehensive purifying coverage.
- Trio pre-filter (outer mesh, pre-filter, medium filter) that reduce the workload of the HEPA filter.
- Highly effective 15 lbs. Activated carbon zeolite filter.
- Comprehensive 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter.
- Durable and sturdy powdered coated steel.
- Up to 5 years filter lifespan.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Loud fan noise with no option of silent/ sleep mode.
- Very bulky and heavy despite having a casters to support.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires filter to be unscrew from the bottom.
- Slight innovative features such as auto mode, digital screen, air quality indicator,/ sensor, timer.
Honeywell has the most air purifiers within in stable that majority is aimed at low to mid-range. No surprise as again we listed Honeywell HPA300 as one of our best HEPA air purifier for home. It cost less, has a smaller body without compromising too much on airflow performance. The strong CADR help push Honeywell HPA300 purifying coverage up high that can cater for most home. Managing airborne dust, allergens and odors is the first line carbon pre-filter while protecting the effectiveness of HEPA filter from large particles. With many Honeywell models shipped worldwide, Honeywell HEPA filter track record and proven reliability is the real deal.Like Austin Air, Honeywell HPA300 is plain on features but understandably so due to the price and size factor. For smaller home or room sizes, you could downsize to the cheaper Honeywell HPA200 or even cheaper HPA100.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
While Airmega 300 gets the nod here as it has the cheapest starting price, any of the current Airmega model would qualified as it is powered by the same Max2 filtration set (dual pre-filter + Green True HEPA filter). Unlike every other air purifier listed here that uses 1 pre-filter as part of the purification, Airmega 300 uses 2 pre-filter on both side of the air purifier to evenly filter out large particles, leaving Green True HEPA filter an easiest task in trapping microscopic allergens, germs and bacteria. The very ide purifying coverage also compliment well on Airmega 300 overall filtration along with the wholesome of features which you can see in the specification below.Nitpicking on the air purifier faults, Airmega 300 is probably not the best value in its bunch as the slightly more expensive S version comes with Wi-Fi control support + Auto/ Sleep mode feature. Again top up a little bit further, you have the 400 version that offers superior filtration performance with the same set of features.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying coverage despite being the least expensive model.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both side while protecting the HEPA filter and Carbon filter.
- Excellent allergens and smoke filtration via its HEPA filter and Carbon filter combination Max2 filter.
- Auto mode that automatically set the fanspeed based on surrounding air quality.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter indicator that based on runtime.
- Built-in timer without having to rely on app.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- Reasonable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires yearly change.
- 5 years warranty.
- Still expensive despite being the cheapest in the group.
- After discount you only need to top up a little bit more to opt for the Wi-Fi version.
- Lacks auto sleep mode and real-time filter replacement indicator found in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer as a backup option.
- Whirlpool air purifiers The brand that often goes under the radar despite having many good HEPA air purifiers.
- Winix U450 might not be the latest air purifier in its line up, it's still highly capable of producing exceptional coverage against the tiniest airborne particles.
- Expensive granted, Airgle air purifiers is also worthy of a shout with its cHEPA filter.