What is HEPA filter?
Acronym for High Efficiency Particulate Air, HEPA filter is a very common and effective mechanical air filter found in most modern air purifiers. Made from thin interlaced fibers, HEPA filter has an efficient rate of 99.97% against airborne particles that cannot be capture by standard filter. Most HEPA air purifier equipped with True HEPA filter can eliminate harmful particles as small as 0.3 microns e.g. pollen, bacteria and viruses. The best HEPA air purifier brand such as IQAir, Blueair could go even further by removing the tiniest possible airborne particles.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Virtually anyone that wants fresh clean air free from allergens, bacteria and viruses. Asthmatic patient or people with hyperallergic would benefit greatly from a cleaner air. Young and old that tend to have weak immune system specially baby and children. Person staying in high moisture home that is constantly fighting against mold. Person staying in a bad environment neighborhood such as industrial area or next to highway, lastly and surprisingly to most, staying close to nature/ countryside with windows wide open therefore seasonally inviting pollen from invasion.
Best HEPA Air Purifier 2019
While you can't go wrong with any of IQAir HealthPro models, we picked IQAir HealthPro Plus as our number one best HEPA air purifier for one reason: It produces THE best HEPA filter. With improved filtration rate at every generation, HyperHEPA Filter can eliminate the tiniest, microscopic particles as small as 0.003 micron size. Remarkable given standard HEPA filter can only trap particles at best 0.3 microns. Other beneficially features include an advanced PreMax pre-filter to tackle on larger airborne particles, wide purifying coverage that support any room size and abundant of airflow delivery rate via its highly adjustable 6 speed.Even though all IQAir HealthPro HEPA air purifier utilize the same HyperHEPA filter, the Plus model is the bulkiness due to the added V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter MG carbon filter slot. Another niggling point is the lacks Auto mode and AQ sensor; both features available in most HEPA air purifier. If you can live with the few cons plus the premium price, IQAir HealthPro Plus should always be in your bucket list.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Blueair has one of the most complete series HEPA air purifier that covers small "studio" room size to large "mansion" room size (see Blueair Pro XL purifying coverage). We picked this best in its classic range as it's better balanced between price, airflow and purifying coverage. Let’s start with the basic, Blueair 605 standard particle filter is very effective against allergies causing mold and pollen as small as 0.1 microns. The HEPASilent technology is capable of achieving maximum filtration efficiency due to the pre-filter and ionizer combined effort in removing large airborne particles. Adding the wide purifying range that fits into most home, this highly reputable HEPA machine is a good alternative to IQAir HealthPro Plus without sacrificing any of the modern practicality (i.e. Auto mode, air quality display).Same air purifier buying rules applied to Blueair models, the more powerful the HEPA air purifier is, the costlier and bulkier it will be. No exception with the gigantic Blueair Classic 605. If you want a more space-efficient unit without giving up on the Wi-Fi connectivity feature, you could downgrade to either Blueair 405 or 205.
- Widest purifying coverage and strongest airflow in its Classic series.
- HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge particles before passing to filter media.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Very impressive dust, pollen and smoke CADR return.
- Top-notch build quality with its durable galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects easily and works well with the intuitive Blueair Friend app or Amazon Alexa.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive model in Blueair Classic series.
- Very high annual filter replacement cost.
- Lacks stand-alone pre-filter that would capture large particles from other filters.
- Lacks integrated air sensors for air quality monitoring and Auto mode. Requires the addon purchase Blueair Aware monitor to enable the feature.
- Bulky and heavy although we expect no less.
Winix brand also have a diverse portfolio ranging from the entry-level Winix 5300-2 to advanced Winix T1. Rather than recommend Winix HR1000 that has all the modern techs including Wi-Fi support and a comprehensive 5-stage filtration, we decided to keep this best HEPA air purifier list in balance by going with Winix 5500-2; The cheaper but still equipped with equally effective HEPA filter. The main reason for Winix 5500-2 inclusion is the True HEPA filter manage to perform exceptionally well thanks to the permanent pre-filter that take out all large particles upfront. Winix 5500-2 supportive airflow (with auto mode) and wide purifying coverage also allow the HEPA air purifier to cover medium to large room size including living hallWinix 5500-2 is not the smallest in the class, nor it is the cheapest. You could go with many cheaper HEPA air purifiers, but you might have to trade off with poorer airflow performance or features. Alternatively, the older Winix U450 is also a good alternative which we also highly recommend.
- Super attractive price (after online rebate) when you consider the complete specification offering.
- Decent CADR that covers medium room size well via its 4-stage filtration and PlasmaWave technology.
- Washable pre-filter that might be a hassle to maintain, you will be glad how much money and dust you have collected even a short period of time.
- Genuine, True-HEPA filter works as advertised in removing allergens and other germs microorganisms.
- Use a standalone AOC carbon filter rather than cheap out on a carbon pre-filter sheet.
- Full access remote control including the mode selector.
- 4 fan speed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode. Sleep mode pairs well with the light sensor that autonomously adjusts the LED indicator brightness according to the room ambient light.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Not outstanding, but it is an improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1 year warranty).
- We like the dedicated AOC carbon filter, but it's not the best in the market when it comes to strong, pungent smell.
- During our test, there is a delay (2-4 minutes) before the air purifier reacts to surrounding airborne particles. Either the odor sensor requires cleaning or the sensor takes its own sweet time to detect.
Put aside the changeable front panel and mood light aesthetic enhancement, there are a lot of solid reasons to pick Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A as your daily HEPA air purifier. It has comprehensive purifying radius, Check (815 square feet to be exact). It has reliable HEPA filter, Check (0.3 microns/ 99.97% filtration rate). It has many supportive filters, Check (pre-filter, medium filter and carbon filter). In addition, there are 4 available option for the customized filter where you could select from Germ Defense, Toxin Absorber, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover. This is no doubt the most complete, HEPA air purifier for asthma and allergies.Like IQAir or Bluair, Rabbit MinusA2 is on the expensive side even though annual filter replacement is relatively cheap. If you need a basic HEPA air purifier without all the addons and mumbo jumbo, consider the more cost-effective Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0.
- 6-stage filtration with improved airflow performance and coverage.
- Low filter replacement cost despite many added filters.
- Beautiful, square design with mood light color bar.
- Wall-mountable with many customized front panel design to choose from (optional purchase).
- Effective First line filtration (Pre-filter, Medium and HEPA filter).
- 4 Customizable filter option, AC carbon filter and Negative Ion Generator (Ionizer) for extra filtration.
- 5 fanspeed with Auto/ Pollen/ Sleep mode.
- Separate Particle, odor and light sensor. Particle/ air quality sensors sensitivity can be adjusted.
- Sensitive Sleep mode that activates and adjust the air purifier speed accurately and automatically when light is out.
- Five-year warranty with free return.
- All the added features helped push the price up to premium category.
- For the price you paid, there are better alternate options in purifying coverage, CADR and airflow delivery rate.
- Far from light despite being a wall-mountable unit with back wall-bracket.
Austin Air probably has the most identical lineup in terms of exterior design. We choose the standard HealthMate as it is the least expensive HEPA air purifier without getting penalized on its airflow delivery performance. What's great with Austin Air HealthMate air purifier is it has the exact same extensive purifying coverage in any models, plus the same trio "pre-filter" that filter out as much airborne particles as possible so the 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter would have space to work its magic. Because of the filters combined effort, the cartridge which consist of HEPA filter has an outstanding filter lifespan up to 5 years; the best in this list by a far margin.What's lacking in Austin Air purifier is almost any modern features available elsewhere including air quality sensors, Auto mode, timer and more... Not a great deal for some but is at least the things you should be aware. There is also a Jr version for most of its lineup that cut down on size and price trading off for a smaller house.
- Great for all room sizes with its comprehensive purifying coverage.
- Trio pre-filter (outer mesh, pre-filter, medium filter) that reduce the workload of the HEPA filter.
- Highly effective 15 lbs. Activated carbon zeolite filter.
- Comprehensive 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter.
- Durable and sturdy powdered coated steel.
- Up to 5 years filter lifespan.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Loud fan noise with no option of silent/ sleep mode.
- Very bulky and heavy despite having a casters to support.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires filter to be unscrew from the bottom.
- Slight innovative features such as auto mode, digital screen, air quality indicator,/ sensor, timer.
Honeywell has the most air purifiers currently listed in its stable where majority of its model is aimed at low to mid-range market. No surprise as once again, we listed Honeywell HPA300 as one of our best HEPA air purifier for home. It cost the least, has a smaller body configuration yet without compromising too much on airflow performance. The strong CADR help push Honeywell HPA300 purifying coverage up high for medium to large room size. Managing all the airborne dust, smoke and odors is the first line carbon pre-filter. Smaller microscopic allergens will then be eliminated by the well-protected HEPA filter. With many Honeywell models shipped worldwide, HPA300 HEPA air purifier proven track record and reliability are the real deal.Like Austin Air, Honeywell HPA300 HEPA air purifier is plain on features but understandably so due to the price and size factor. For smaller home or room sizes, you could downsize to the cheaper Honeywell HPA200 or even cheaper HPA100.
- Very reasonable price with exceptional purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 fanspeed including Turbo mode.
- Dual combination Carbon Pre-filter that is good against dust and gas based particles.
- Proven and effective True-HEPA filter against smaller airborne particles.
- Light dimming option for night use.
- 3 option pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks air quality sensor therefore no Auto mode and air quality display.
- Slightly expensive annual filter replacement cost.
Between all the other Airmega models, Airmega 300 gets the nod here as it has the cheapest starting price. Unlike every other best HEPA air purifier listed here that uses 1 pre-filter as part of the purification, Airmega 300 uses 2 pre-filter on both side of the air purifier to evenly filter out large particles. As a result, Green True HEPA filter have an easiest task in trapping microscopic allergens, germs and bacteria. There is also the very wide purifying coverage for large room size, consistent airflow circulation to compliment well on Airmega 300 overall filtration along with a wholesome of features which you can see in the specification below.What's powering current Airmega HEPA air purifier lineup is the same Max2 filtration set (dual pre-filter + Green True HEPA filter), so in theory Airmega 300 is probably not the best value in its bunch as the slightly more expensive S version comes with Wi-Fi control support + Auto/ Sleep mode feature. Again top up a little bit further, you have the 400 version that offers superior filtration performance with the same set of features.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying coverage despite being the least expensive model.
- Dual pre-filter that traps large particles from both side while protecting the HEPA filter and Carbon filter.
- Excellent allergens and smoke filtration via its HEPA filter and Carbon filter combination Max2 filter.
- Auto mode that automatically set the fanspeed based on surrounding air quality.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter indicator that based on runtime.
- Built-in timer without having to rely on app.
- Clear and accurate real-time air quality display indicator.
- Reasonable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires yearly change.
- 5 years warranty.
- Still expensive despite being the cheapest in the group.
- After discount you only need to top up a little bit more to opt for the Wi-Fi version.
- Lacks auto sleep mode and real-time filter replacement indicator found in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer as a backup option.
🏆 Honorable mention
- Whirlpool air purifiers The brand that often goes under the radar despite having many good HEPA air purifiers.
- Winix U450 might not be the latest air purifier in its line up, it's still highly capable of producing exceptional coverage against the tiniest airborne particles.
- Expensive granted, Airgle air purifiers is also worthy of a shout with its cHEPA filter.
Previous best HEPA air purifier
- Winix HR1000
- Alen BeatheSmart Fit50
Best HEPA Air Purifier Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|IQAir HealthPro Plus||4-stage||1098 sq. ft. (102 m2)||9.6|
|Blueair 605||3-stage||775 sq. ft. (72 m2)||9|
|Winix 5500-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||8.5|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A||6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||9.1|
|Honeywell HPA300||3-stage||465 sq. ft. (43 m2)||8.5|
|Airmega 300||4-stage||1256 sq. ft. (117 m2)||9|