Who is this for?Best used if you are staying in a large home and the humidity level falls below 30% like in the winter. Get one if you have a cough, coarse voice, sinus, nose bleed, static shock, or snoring problem every morning. Dry, flaky skin is also a good telltale sign. For those that have trouble falling asleep or a restless baby, a humidifier may help. Finally, if your home furniture is dry rotting or wants to slightly reduce electricity bills, a large humidifier will help.
2020 Best Large Room Humidifier
|Humidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|Vornado Evap40 Humidifier|
|4 gallon (32 pints)||1000 sq. ft. (93 m2)||8.3|
|Honeywell HCM-6009 Humidifier|
|9 gallon (72 pints)||2300 sq. ft. (214 m2)||8.3|
|Essick Air AIRCARE MA1201 Humidifier|
|8 gallon (64 pints)||3600 sq. ft. (334 m2)||8.3|
|Levoit LV600HH Humidifier|
|1.5 gallon (5.6 pints)||753 sq. ft. (70 m2)||8.3|
|Honeywell Cool Moisture HEV685W/ HEV685B Humidifier|
|2000+ sq. ft. (186 m2)||8.3|
|Elechomes UC5501 Ultrasonic Humidifier|
|1.58 gallon (6 liter)||430-750 sq. ft. (40-70 m2)||8.3|
What better way to kick starts our best humidifier for large room list with Vornado Evap40. An evaporative humidifier powered by the signature Vortex Action deep-pitched blades. At maximum capacity, Vornado Evap40 can humidify a room up to 1000 square feet of space per day. Perfect for living hall, lounge, basement, and even a 2 parking garage. The large 4-gallon water tank also means there's no need to refill the water throughout the day. You only need to set it to Intelligent humidification mode and check in every morning on the water level. Another thing we like about Vornado Evap40 evaporative humidifier is the long 5 years warranty. Not only that, the entire assembling line including parts are all made in the USA. Very rare at this price point and for a humidifier.
There are 2 things we dislike though and first is the rather dated controls with no digital screen. Knowing the surrounding dampness level can help us evaluate our room air quality and determine the humidity needed. Second is the cost of ownership. Vornado Evap40 is already more expensive than few large room humidifiers here. The wicking filter can also surge up to 100+ dollars on frequent use. Not to mention you will need distilled or demineralized water to power the device. Something to ponder on.
- Humidify up to 1,000 square feet of room space at maximum speed.
- Intelligent humidification mode that turns on the device when needed and turns it off when an ideal humidity level is reached.
- Disperse up to 4-gallon of water moisture per day.
- Dual side water tank with a total capacity of 4-gallon.
- Completely built in the USA with a long 5-years warranty.
- Dated design with basic dial knob controls that cannot support precise humidity adjustment.
- Wick replacement filters can be costly in the long-run.
More powerful as Evap40 but at a cheaper price, how is that possible? With Honeywell HCM-6009 QuietCare Cool Mist Humidifier you can. The strong airflow circulation can cover around 2000+ square feet of room space. Ideal for master bedroom, living room, studio, basement, and crawlspace. Honeywell HCM-6009 also comes with advanced mist humidistat that automatically turns on the humidifier when the humidity level drops, or turn off the machine when a humidity point is reached. Another highlight is the highly useful Protec Antimicrobial wicking filter. The filter will trap large particles like white dust and inhibits 99.99% of mold/ bacteria growth. Very important to ensure the room air is clean and moist.
Here come the controversial negative points that some may not agree with us. Honeywell HCM-6009 QuietCare Cool Mist is an old-fashion console humidifier. So naturally it will be bulky with unintuitive controls. While the large dimension may help in cleaning and maintaining the humidifier, it will take up a lot of space and is cumbersome to do so. Wicking filter also needs replacing very often to prevent the mineral deposits buildup. If you don't mind all that, Honeywell HCM-6009 will be a good buy.
- Strong evaporative humidifying that can cover up 2300 square feet of room space.
- Advanced Mist Humidistat that will automatically turn the humidifier on and off to maintain the preferred humidity level.
- Uninterrupted 24-hour continuous operation.
- Dual heavy-duty water tank with a total of 3-gallon capacity.
- Protec Antimicrobial wicking filter that inhibits 99.99% of mold growth.
- Unintuitive dial knob controls with no display to show current humidity level.
- Wicking filter gets moldy quickly if is not replace in time.
The best whole-house humidifier for a large room without a doubt. Essick AIRCARE MA1201 is a very powerful evaporative humidifier that can cover up to 3600 square feet. That's more coverage than a 3 bedroom condominium or a single storey house. Supporting that is the dual water tank with a total 4-gallon capacity. You can run 36 hours continuously without having to worry about the water level in the tank. Functionality is also great in Essick AIRCARE MA1201. You have an adjustable humidistat backed by a small digital display. The built-in sensor also allows auto humidification that will maintain the room humidity level between 40-60%. Lastly, there is nighttime mode that produces noise as low as 36 dB for bedtime use.
Let's quickly touch on the downside first. The wicking filter is very expensive to replace especially if you are a high usage person. Even though it is the perfect humidifier for whole-house use, two standalone models could still cover more ground. That said, if you only want a humidifier to work and clean in your home, Essick AIRCARE MA1201 is the right call.
- This high tier version can cover up to a massive 3600 square feet.
- Auto humidistat that will automatically adjust to the right setting based on room dampness level.
- High moisture dispersion that can continue running up to 36 hours.
- Easy to refill, lead-proof 4-gallon bucket.
- Wick filter requires replacing monthly that will swiftly add up the cost.
- Bulky and heavy that takes up a lot of room space.
You might be surprised that we included Levoit LV600HH humidifier on our list. It has a smaller but respectable 753 square feet coverage. The 1.5-gallon water tank is only half of the size of most evaporative humidifiers here. Pricing is about the same as other more powerful units thus the value proposition is not there. So why is Levoit LV600HH a good large room? It is because of the hybrid ultrasonic setup.
A hybrid ultrasonic humidifier is a humidifier that can disperse both warm and cool mist in a large room. A very useful feature as we will go through different seasons with different humidity levels regardless of the room size. A warm mist is perfect for the winter season when the air is cold and dry. It helps alleviate cold, cough, and seasonal flu. A cold mist is perfect for summer as it can relieve allergies and reduces static electricity. So rather than switching a humidifier every season and end up cleaning both, just stick with Levoit LV600HH.
- Ultrasonic humidifying that covers up to 753 square feet of room space.
- Able to switch between warm or cool mist humidifying.
- Continuous operation that lasts up to 36 hours of run time.
- Smart Auto mode that will also work with the essential oil.
- Not the most powerful humidifier for a large room.
- More refilling trips needed with the 1.5-gallon water tank.
Like HCM-6009 but wish for something smaller model, Honeywell HEV685 Cool Moisture is your answer. It has all the essence of a Honeywell model without compromising any performance. Even at low speed, it can cover a large room with 24 hours of continuous humidification. The strong airflow is not complete without an antimicrobial filter that prevents mold and mildew growth. Every airborne particle coming in will be trapped by the filter so the dispersed mist is clean and breathable. Adding the top fil and break-proof reservoir, this 3-year warranty humidifier will give you a long, hassle-free ownership experience.
Honeywell Cool Moisture HEV685W/ HEV685B comes with multiple color options that in theory should give you a headache which to go for. In real life, the differences are minimal and it is not a very attractive design to begin with. As for the functionality, The lack of a digital display is a big let down for a humidifier intended for large room usage. No digital screen, no precise humidity adjustment. Lastly, the protec filter that can be expensive to replace if you leave it running from day till night.
- Cover multiple rooms with 24 hours of continuous operation.
- Manual and auto humidistat that will set the ideal humidity according to the surrounding dampness.
- Antimicrobial wick filter that removes white dust and inhibits 99.99% of mold growth.
- Easy to clean, dual water tank with a total 3-gallon capacity.
- Expensive wick filter replacement that is needed in order for the humidifier to function properly.
- Simple controls with no digital and humidity display. Not even a timer.
We already talked about why a hybrid humidifier is awesome, Elechomes UC5501 is another one worthy of your consideration. At max speed 550 mL/H warm mist output, Elechomes 360-degree nozzle can effortlessly cover up to 750 sq. ft. for room space. Switching to a lower speed and the humidifier can run for 40 hours straight despite the small water tank. Another clear advantage of ultrasonic over evaporative is the whisper-quiet operation. You can barely hear any noise even at high speed thus ideal for a baby room with dry air.
There are more beneficial features you will get with Elechomes UC5501 hybrid ultrasonic humidifier. It comes with a full set of controls including a digital screen and remote control. Intelligent Automatic, auto shut-off, 12-hour timer, and Sleep mode are also included as standard. There is an essential tray that can be used to enhance the air quality with natural fragrance. Most importantly, you can switch between warm mist and cool mist humidification whenever you feel its necessary.
- Ultrasonic humidifying up to 750 square feet of room space.
- Easily switch between vaporizer warm mist or cool mist mode.
- 40 hours of continuous use with auto humidistat support.
- Excellent for night use thanks to the silent operation and aromatherapy feature.
- Less effective than an evaporative humidifier.
- Long hour operation only works in the lowest speed due to the small 1.5-gallon reservoir.
Best Humidifier For 1000 Square Feet Or Higher
A 3 bedroom condominium or a terrace house can easily take up more than 1000 square feet of room size. To fill the entire room air with moisture, you will need a good evaporative humidifier that holds a large water tank. After months of research, here are the best humidifiers for 1000 square feet and above.
- Vornado Evap40 Humidifier
- Honeywell HCM-6009 Humidifier
- Essick AIRCARE MA1201 Humidifier
- Honeywell Cool Moisture HEV685W/ HEV685B Humidifier
Will A Humidifier Work In a Large Room?
It will but you will have to look for a humidifier that can discharge enough moisture to cover for a large area. Most manufacturers will put in the recommended room size the humidifier can support at a given speed. Always go with a higher moisture capacity model rather than a lower one. For example, if you need to increase the humidity level of a 1000 square feet room space, go with a large humidifier that can at least support that. That way you will leave some space for leverage for different home's layout or when the model is running at a slower speed.
Where Should a Humidifier Be Placed In a Room?
It is best to place a humidifier as centrally as possible in the area you wish to humidity. A centrally placed humidifier might not be applicable to all homes as you're at risk of tripping over the cable. Most people will place the humidifier in the corner, leave 1-2 feet of gaps and point the mist away from the wall. For multi rooms humidifying, leave all doors open to allow airflow circulate into the room.
How Long Does It Take a Humidifier To Fill a Room?
In general, it will take a humidifier at least 12 hours to fill a room with moisture. The efficiency of the model is highly dependant on the moisture discharge speed, water tank capacity, and the room size. Modern humidifiers that are running at low speed can operate continuously for 12 to 24 hours with a 1.5-gallon reservoir. Evaporative humidifiers with a 3-gallon reservoir can run continuously for up to 36 hours before required refilling.
Can I Use Tap Water In The Humidifier?
You should only use distilled or demineralized water as recommended by all brands. Tap water contains minerals that promote mold and bacteria growth. It may cost you a fortune of doing so as humidifying for a large room requires a lot of water. However, you will be at a lesser risk of inhaling the airborne germs and the humidifier will be in better condition with fewer mineral deposits.
Do Humidifiers Use A Lot Of Electricity?
A humidifier does not use a lot of electricity even in a large room. As the power rate varies from state to state, EPA reports that humidifiers account for approximately 0.11 percent of total electricity in U.S. homes. Ultrasonic humidifiers consume the least amount of energy compared with other types. A warm-mist humidifier will use more electricity than a cool-mist type due to the heating element.
Should I Leave The door Open When Using a Humidifier?
That depends. If you are trying to add moisture to a single room, it is best to leave the door closed to avoid moisture from escaping. If you are humidifying a large area e.g. the entire floor, you should keep all doors open so the moisture added into the air will be able to flow inside the room. Don't worry about over humidifying a room as most models come with auto mode or adjustable humidistats that you can manage properly.
What To Consider When Buying A Humidifier for Large Room
Aside from the earlier points, There are other features to take into account when picking the best large humidifier. Every single point here will reflect on how effective a humidifier can be in covering different sizes of rooms. It will also determine how livable is the humidifier on a daily routine. So pay attention to the features below and see which could be the key factors in choosing the right model.
- Room size - Knowing the space or floorplan of your home that the humidifier needs to be running is a massive help. If you need to cover a 1000 square feet size, get a humidifier that has the capacity to meet that. Refer to the manufacturer's suggested room size and always settle for higher capacity output than less.
- Water tank - Humidifiers must function with a detachable bucket. The bigger the reservoir, the more water can be stored, and less refill is needed. A 3-gallon water tank would be ideal for daily operation in a large room but that would depend on the humidity output level. Some models come with a dual water tank setup that can be handy when refilling. Also consider which refill method you preferred: top fill or bottom fill.
- Capacity - How much moisture can a humidifier disperse per day. For larger room, you will need a higher moisture output to cover the entire room space. Most evaporative humidifiers can release more moisture than ultrasonic models.
- Cost of ownership - Most large room humidifiers will not cost you more than 150 dollars but it's the monthly filter replacement that will get you. Expect to pay up to 200 dollars on high usage frequency. Refer to our estimated annual filter cost and see if you are comfortable with the figures.
- Noise level - Most evaporative humidifier has a low to medium noise level that will not cause too much of a disturbance. If you want a whisper-quiet operation, an ultrasonic humidifier would be a better fit has it usually produces noise level less than 40 dB.
- Power consumption - Expect power usage around 80 watts depending on the humidistats and fan speed. If you want to lower the electricity bills, go with an ultrasonic model and focus on cool mist humidification.
- Digital screen - A deal-breaker for some if the unit does not come with one. With a digital display, it will show the current room humidity level so you can make the right adjustment accordingly.
- Auto humidification - A very useful feature that allows autonomous operation. Via the built-in sensor, the humidifier will automatically turn on when it detects the room humidity level is low. When a good humidity point is reached, it will shut down all operations but remain active in the background for restart.
- Size and weight - Humidifiers are not very bulky but can be heavy especially with the filled up water. Generally, it will not be a big concern unless you have pets, children at home or intend to place it on a table or cabinet with limited space.
- Filter - All evaporative humidifiers come with a wicking filter that helps capture large particles like dust and hair. Some come with extra pre-filter or antimicrobial coating to prevent mold build-up. Check the filter durability as it would directly impact the usage lifespan.
- Warranty - Any appliances that run continuously will have a higher chance of breaking down. 1-year warranty is standard, 3 is a given and some manufacturers offer up to 5 years. The longer the coverage, the better piece of mind you will have knowing any faults will be cover by the manufacturer.