Here’s a scary stat from CDC. There are around 15% of the non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke that resulted 41,000 deaths annually in U.S. alone. Prevention is always better cure but unfortunately smoking is a habit that is hard to quit. In this smoke related best list we will be focusing on what is tobacco smoke, toxic and chemicals that is associate with it and who is this for. We also measured the air purifier effectiveness against smoke based on Smoke CADR, Carbon filter, Airflow and any Toxic/ tobacco smoke specialty. At the end, one of the air purifier in the list would suit your requirement against the ever-increasing smokers around the world.
What chemicals is in tobacco smoke?
There are over 4000 – 7000 chemicals in cigarettes. at least 250 of them are very harmful substances to our body and 70 of them are carcinogenic or Cancer linked. The most common toxic/ chemicals found in just one cigarette smoke includes the most notorious and addictive Nicotine, Ammonia (cleaning product), Arsenic (rat poisons), Carbon monoxide (poisonous gas), Cadmium (batteries), DDT (insecticide), Formaldehiyde (preservation for dead specimens), Methoprene (also insecticide), Lead (poisonous) and Polonium (radioactive element). There are many types of Cancer that is related to above chemicals include lung, larynx, breast, leukemia, stomach, prostrate, kidney and many others.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Social/ casual especially heavy smokers that smoke indoor would really benefit from the list. Person staying with or around smokers also fit into the bill. Person staying nearby industrial area or places with high air quality index (AQI) that causes severe adverse health effects. Baby, children, elderly or recovering patient that have a weaker immune system. Finally anyone that needs a healthy, clean air environment.
The premium selection, IQAir HealthPro Plus is out first pick in the lot against the never-ending battle with cigarette smoke. Why? V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter MGOdor is your answer. The inclusion of V5 carbon filter with Pelletized chemisorption not only clear out cigarette smoke and odors based pollutants, it will do it in a short period of time thanks to the powerful 300 cfm airflow with 6 fanspeed controls. The wide purifying applicable area (up to 1098 sq. ft. ) and all-round 320 degree distribution is also ideal for people that hang around with smokers indoor or in places with high smoke/ odors output.IQAir HealthPro is not all perfect though, the strong airflow filtration often co-relate to an air purifier bulkiness and no exception with IQAir HealthPro Plus. The expensive price tag also means this air purifier would only be off-limit to many. If you are the selected few and would like something that has an even higher odor/ chemical filtration, consider IQAir GC MultiGas.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Staying with smokers, if you have resorted all possible way of stopping them smoking indoor (including yourself), Blueair Classic 605 is you next best alternate solution. Thanks to the high smoke CADR, wide purifying coverage and outstanding SmokeStop filter filtration that will traps all odors and smoke based irritants. Harmful tobacco smokes and odors that is lingering around the house will be clear off in a snap. Blueair 605 is also comes with Wi-Fi connectivity so you could control everything remotely to ensure you will not have to breathe any of the toxic again every time step into the room.Prevention is always better than cure and Blueair 405 is a very expensive cure especially with the annual filter replacement cost. Also in order to reach the maximum efficiency, the air purifier would have to run on full blast which will generate a lot of noise on background.
- Widest purifying coverage and strongest airflow in its Classic series.
- HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge particles before passing to filter media.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Very impressive dust, pollen and smoke CADR return.
- Top-notch build quality with its durable galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects easily and works well with the intuitive Blueair Friend app or Amazon Alexa.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive model in Blueair Classic series.
- Very high annual filter replacement cost.
- Lacks stand-alone pre-filter that would capture large particles from other filters.
- Lacks integrated air sensors for air quality monitoring and Auto mode. Requires the addon purchase Blueair Aware monitor to enable the feature.
- Bulky and heavy although we expect no less.
Winix 5500-2 is a perfect example on how to make a solid, entry-level smoke air purifier with dedicated carbon filter. It cost at least 2 - 3 times less than most premium smoke air purifiers in the market and yet its AOC Advanced Granular Carbon filter does a remarkable job wiping out cigarette and tobacco smoke at a reasonably high smoke CADR rates. Top it off with PlasmaWave Technology, Winix 5500-2 comes with all the modern addons e.g. preset timer, air quality indicator, sensor with auto mode, and remote control that you would not even see in some of the top-line air purifiers.As Winix 5500-2 is considerably affordable in this category list, its airflow performance and purifying coverage is incomparable with the big boys. Further still the annual filter replacement cost is not the cheapest so it could be a deciding factor in long-term ownership.
- Wide purifying coverage with distinctive CADR and airflow distribution.
- 4-stage filtration with PlasmaWave technology.
- Washable carbon pre-filter that handles both dust, fur and unseen smokes and odors.
- True-HEPA filter that traps down to 0.3 micron size particles including bacteria and allergens.
- Remote control that could operate and control the fanspeed.
- 4 fanspeed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode that activates automatically when there is no light source.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1 year warranty).
- Lower spec carbon filter that generally a less effective version compare with standalone pre-filter and carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter change on the 3 months deodorization carbon filters .
The new kid in the block, AIRMEGA 400S is a new household brand created by the non-other water purifier giant Coway. Beautifully design with many striking elements, what hidden inside its a proven 4-stage filtration with 2 pre-filter and MAX2 filter. Focusing on the activated carbon filter, it has a 99% gas filtration rate thus is not only good at filtering out smoke coming from cigarette smoke, it will also remove odors and other notorious household chemicals that came along with it. Together with the wide 1560 sq. ft. purifying coverage, AIRMEGA 400S will bring smoke air purifier to a whole new level.Beauty comes with a price and in AIRMEGA 400S case, is not cheap. Adding up all the modern spec including Wi-Fi connectivity support, you could be better off with a old-school air purifier that is priced way less. Still, there is the non Wi-Fi 400 version and other lower spec lineup in AIRMEGA that you could also considered.
- 4-stage filtration with widest purifying coverage in its group.
- Dual pre-filter that cover and protect the HEPA filter from large particles flowing through both side of air inlet.
- Outstanding allergens and smoke filtration via its MAX2 filter which is essentially a full-size HEPA filter + Carbon filter.
- Auto mode that automatically adjust the fanspeed based on room air quality.
- Light/ sleep mode that automatically tone down the fanspeed when the room is dark.
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifespan indicator that calculates filter life based on real time usage/ environment.
- Timer + advance scheduler for 7 days customizable on and off time (via app).
- Highly legible and accurate real-time air quality monitor.
- Standard 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive version in its series.
- Filter replacement cost is high although it consist of both HEPA and Carbon filter.
- App is less refined and intuitive compare with competitors app.
- Slight learning curve on Wi-Fi connectivity especially for first time user.
- No Ionizer as an option.
- Timer is only accessible via Airmega app.
The only air purifier in the list that comes with customizable front panel, Alen BreatheSmart would do an impeccable job in handling smokes and odors from cooking, VOCs and of course cigarettes providing you opt for HEPA-OdorCell filter pack. Unlike the rest of the air purifier in the list, Alen BreatheSmart utilize a combination HEPA/ carbon filter that is more space-saving, less hassle to maintain and most importantly compatible with the strong airflow and high smoke CADR. Timer, air quality sensors and Auto mode also comes standard so you could leave the air purifier by itself and let it do its work.As mentioned earlier, Alen BreatheSmart utilize a HEPA+Carbon combination filter setup that even though it is very effective, we would prefer a dedicated carbon filter that can be replaced separately. There is also 2 alternate version you could opt for : the slightly smaller BreatheSmart Fit50 and smallest BreatheSmart Flex that lacks air quality sensors/ Auto mode.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
Again some unpreventable cigarette odors issue indoor and have a tighter budget, Austin Air HealthMate Plus is your answer. Its 6.5 lbs. Activated Carbon Impregnated with Potassium Iodide and Zeolite is one of the best in banishing smoke and odors particles. Together with the high 400 cfm airflow output, chemicals and odors emitted from cigarettes or cigars would be swiftly capture by the air purifier. Another key highlight is the bundled filter cartridge that has an incredible 5 years lifespan so the annual filter replacement cost is way more affordable.While Austin Air HealthMate Plus is certainly more cost-efficient in long-run, its lacks supportive features where you will have to do without a remote control, Auto mode, air quality indicator and even a timer. A big ask for some.
- Great for all room sizes with its comprehensive purifying coverage.
- Trio pre-filter (outer mesh, pre-filter, medium filter) that reduce the workload of the HEPA filter.
- Highly effective 15 lbs. Activated carbon zeolite filter.
- Comprehensive 60 sq. ft. HEPA filter.
- Durable and sturdy powdered coated steel.
- Up to 5 years filter lifespan.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Loud fan noise with no option of silent/ sleep mode.
- Very bulky and heavy despite having a casters to support.
- Hassle filter replacement that requires filter to be unscrew from the bottom.
- Slight innovative features such as auto mode, digital screen, air quality indicator,/ sensor, timer.
It might be the smallest and cheapest in the list, Holmes Smoke Grabber Ashtray HAP75-UC2 is technically a premium ashtray rather than an air purifier. The built-in multi-layered Activated Carbon filter does help in alleviating smokes and odors coming from your cigarette butts by capturing them before it is released to the room. What's more is the smoke grabber ashtray is highly portable, battery operated so no power socket required and automatically turned on once the lid is open. Perfect gift for smokers that just won't quit.Is Holmes Smoke Grabber Ashtray HAP75-UC2 carbon filter strong enough to justify smokers from smoking indoor? No but a half decent job would be better than none. If you need an ashtray and don't mind upgrading to a better unit, Holmes Smoke Grabber Ashtray is your answer. Again smoking outdoor or through a window would be an even better cost-less solution.
- An upgrade to normal astray that capture smoke via its dual layer carbon filter.
- Cheap to own and maintain.
- Compact with removable, easy to clean tray.
- Automatic operation with lid opened and stop operation with lid closed.
- Able to hold around 5 - 8 lit cigarettes.
- No plug source required as the ashtray is powered by 2 D batteries.
- As expected limited airflow thus below average smoke absorption.
- Slightly noisy fan during operation.
- Short filter lifespan for heavy smoker.
- Batteries require frequent replacing for heavy user.
- The 6-stage filtration Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-700A would fit the bill well. For optimum result, select Odor Remover for its customized Filter.
- Comes with Ionizer, UV-Light and impressive smoke CADR return. GermGuardian AC9200WCA is it for you.
- Need something cheap yet can get rid of cigarette odor? See Hamilton Beach Odor Eliminator 04532GM.