Here’s a scary stat from CDC. There are around 15% of the non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke that resulted 41,000 deaths annually in U.S. alone. Prevention is always better cure but unfortunately smoking is a cult, religion, an addictive habit that is hard to quit. In this Best air purifier for smoker list we will be focusing on what is tobacco smoke, the health effects it brings, along with the toxic and chemicals associate to it. To qualify as part of our air purifier for smokers group, we will ameasure the air purifier effectiveness against smoke-based pollutants via Smoke CADR, Carbon filter, Airflow distribution and any Toxic/ tobacco smoke specialty. At the end of the article, one of the smoker air purifier in the list would definitely suit your requirement against the ever-increasing smokers around the world.
What chemicals is in tobacco smoke?
There are over 4000 – 7000 chemicals in cigarettes. at least 250 of them are very harmful substances to our body and 70 of them are carcinogenic or Cancer linked. Common toxic/ chemicals found in just one cigarette smoke includes the notorious and addictive Nicotine, Ammonia (cleaning product), Arsenic (rat poisons), Carbon monoxide (poisonous gas), Cadmium (batteries), DDT (insecticide), Formaldehiyde (preservation for dead specimens), Methoprene (also insecticide), Lead (poisonous) and Polonium (radioactive element). Many types of Cancer are highly related to above chemicals that could have devastating impact to our lung, larynx, breast, leukemia, stomach, prostrate, kidney and more. Quit smoking is the ideal but not necessarily the available option, so getting an air purifier for smoker might be the next best thing.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?Social/ casual especially heavy smokers that smoke indoor would really benefit from the list. Person staying with or around smokers also fit into the bill. Person staying nearby industrial area or places with high air quality index (AQI) that causes severe adverse health effects. Baby, children, elderly or recovering patient that have a weaker immune system. Finally anyone that needs a healthy, clean air environment.
Best Air Purifier for Smoker 2018
The premium selection, IQAir HealthPro Plus is our first pick in the lot against the never-ending battle with cigarette smoke. Why? V5-Cell Gas & Odor Filter MGOdor is your answer. The inclusion of V5 carbon filter with Pelletized chemisorption not only clear out cigarette smoke odor based pollutants, it will do it in a short period of time thanks to the powerful 300 cfm airflow with 6 fanspeed controls. This smoke eliminator machine will also reduce cigarette smoke smell from staining your shirt. The wide purifying applicable area (up to 1098 sq. ft. ) and all-round 320 degree distribution is also ideal for people that hang around with smokers indoor or in places with high smoke/ odors output due to poor ventilation.While IQAir HealthPro Plus is pretty much untouchable in our best air purifier for smoker list, is not all perfect though. The strong airflow filtration often co-relate to an air purifier bulkiness and no exception with IQAir HealthPro Plus. Perhaps more critically, the expensive price tag also means this cigarette smoke removal machine would only be off-limit to few. If you are the selected few and would like something that has an even higher odor/ chemical filtration, consider IQAir GC MultiGas.
- Made in Switzerland craftsmanship with strong impact resistant ABS plastic and zero-leak triple-seal technology.
- PreMax pre-filter that is capable of capturing both large and micro-particles such as pollen, spores, mold.
- Effective V5-Cell MG Granular activated Carbon filter that absorb and eradicate all types smoke and odor.
- HyperHEPA is the best True HEPA filter we reviewed that is capable of trapping ultra-particles down to 0.003 microns.
- Long-lasting filter. True HEPA filter has 4 years lifespan, Carbon filter has 2 years lifespan and even pre-filter has a 18 months lifespan.
- Certified quality and performance. Each air purifier are individually tested to ensure the air purifier meets the strict specifications.
- Noise level is considerably low in its segment given the air purifier airflow strength and speed.
- Powerful 320 degree airflow distribution that provides one of the widest purifying coverage.
- Up to 6 selectable fanspeed that can also be adjusted via remote control.
- Built-in programmable timer that allows specific fanspeed, time, day or week scheduling.
- Easy layer filter replacement that slides out individually instead of conventional front cover style.
- Industrial leading 10 years warranty.
- Very expensive (3 times of standard air purifier price).
- No dust & odor sensors = no automatic fan speed setting and air quality indicator.
- Bulky and heavy that is difficult to move around even with carrying handle and casters.
Staying with smokers, if you have resorted all possible way of stopping them smoking indoor (including yourself), Blueair Classic 605 is you next best alternate solution. Thanks to the crazy high smoke CADR output (500 cfm), the figure alone would easily qualify it as the best air purifier for smokers. The bundled SmokeStop filter filtration will also effective remove odors and chemical based irritants from cigarette smoke. Adding the wide 775 sq. ft. purifying coverage and generous amount of airflow circulation, harmful tobacco smokes and odors that is lingering around the house will be clear off in a snap. Finally there is also the benefit of Wi-Fi connectivity where you could control everything remotely so you will not have to breathe any residue cigar smoke odor before stepping into a smoker’s room.Prevention is always better than cure and purchasing Blueair 605 will be a very expensive cure especially with the annual filter replacement cost. There is also the bulkiness factor that make this smoke eliminator machine practically unusable in tight spaces. Also in order to reach the maximum efficiency, the air purifier would have to run on full blast which will generate a lot of background noise.
- Widest purifying coverage and strongest airflow in its Classic series.
- HEPASilent Technology that electrostatically charge particles before passing to filter media.
- Highly effective gradient structured particle filter and SmokeStop Filter.
- Very impressive dust, pollen and smoke CADR return.
- Top-notch build quality with its durable galvanized steel body.
- Wi-Fi connects easily and works well with the intuitive Blueair Friend app or Amazon Alexa.
- Up to 5 years warranty.
- The most expensive model in Blueair Classic series.
- Very high annual filter replacement cost.
- Lacks stand-alone pre-filter that would capture large particles from other filters.
- Lacks integrated air sensors for air quality monitoring and Auto mode. Requires the addon purchase Blueair Aware monitor to enable the feature.
- Bulky and heavy although we expect no less.
Winix 5500-2 is a perfect example on how to make a solid, entry-level smoke air purifier with dedicated carbon filter. It cost at least 2 - 3 times less than most premium smoke air purifiers in the market and yet its AOC Advanced Granular Carbon filter does a remarkable job wiping out cigarette and tobacco smoke at a reasonably high 246 cfm smoke CADR rates. Accompany with PlasmaWave Technology, airflow delivery rate is also decent but not over the top for medium room size. Feature wise, Winix 5500-2 comes with all the modern addons e.g. preset timer, air quality indicator, sensor with auto mode, and remote control that you would not even see in some of the top-line cigarette smoke removal machine.As Winix 5500-2 is considerably affordable in this best air purifier for smoke category list, its airflow performance and purifying coverage is of course incomparable with the big boys. Furthermore, the annual filter replacement cost is not the cheapest, therefore this could be a deciding factor in long-term ownership.
- Wide purifying coverage with distinctive CADR and airflow distribution.
- 4-stage filtration with PlasmaWave technology.
- Washable carbon pre-filter that handles both dust, fur and unseen smokes and odors.
- True-HEPA filter that traps down to 0.3 micron size particles including bacteria and allergens.
- Remote control that could operate and control the fanspeed.
- 4 fanspeed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode that activates automatically when there is no light source.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1 year warranty).
- Lower spec carbon filter that generally a less effective version compare with standalone pre-filter and carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter change on the 3 months deodorization carbon filters .
The new kid in the block, AIRMEGA 300S is a new household brand created by the non-other water purifier giant Coway. Beautifully design with many striking elements, what hidden inside this cigarette smoke eliminator machine is a proven 4-stage filtration with 2 pre-filter and MAX2 filter. Focusing on the activated carbon filter, AIRMEGA 300S has a 99% gas filtration rate thus is not only good at filtering out notorious chemicals like Carbon monoxide or Formaldehiyde coming from cigarette smoke, it will also remove odors and other household chemicals e.g. VOCs that came along with it. Together with its continuous pouring airflow distribution and super wide 1560 sq. ft. purifying coverage (limit to 2 air charges mind you), there is no doubt this is the best air purifier to remove cigarette smoke in living hall.Beauty comes with a price and in AIRMEGA 300S case, is not cheap. Adding up all the modern spec including Wi-Fi connectivity support, you could be better off with an old-school smoker air purifier that is priced way less. Still, there is the non-Wi-Fi 300 version and similarly higher spec machine in AIRMEGA lineup that you may want to consider.
- 4-stage filtration with wide purifying applicable area.
- Utilize 2 Pre-filter on each side of the air purifier that traps dust, pet hair while enhancing HEPA filter and Carbon filter lifespan.
- Highly-efficient allergen and odor filtration with the combined Green True HEPA and Activated Carbon Max2 filter.
- Convenience and practical Smart mode (Auto mode/ Sleep mode).
- Separate Pre-filter and MAX2 filter lifespan indicator.
- Remotely control when the air purifier on/ off via scheduler and timer.
- Real-time air quality display monitor.
- Reasonable Max2 filter replacement cost that only requires one yearly change.
- 5 years warranty.
- Even more expensive based price than the non-Wi-Fi 300 version.
- App is slightly less refined compare with competitors app.
- Learning curve on setting up Wi-Fi connectivity for first time user.
- No built-in timer. Only accessible via Airmega app.
- Lacks autonomous sleep mode and real-time HEPA and Activated Carbon filter change indicator available in 400/ 400S models.
- No Ionizer within its filtration list.
Used to be the only air purifier here that comes with customizable front panel (in came Rabbit Air MinusA2), Alen BreatheSmart would do an impeccable job in handling smokes and odors from cooking, VOCs and of course cigarettes providing you opt for HEPA-OdorCell filter pack. Unlike the rest of smoke eliminator machine in our best air purifier for smoker list, Alen BreatheSmart utilize a combination HEPA/ carbon filter that is more space-saving, less hassle to maintain and most importantly compatible with its strong airflow and high smoke CADR. Timer, air quality sensors and Auto mode also comes standard so you could leave this smoke eater air purifier unattended and let it work its magic.As mentioned earlier, Alen BreatheSmart cigarette air purifier utilize a HEPA+Carbon combination filter setup that even though it is very effective and space-saving, we would prefer a dedicated carbon filter that can be replaced separately for cost-efficiency reason. There is also 2 alternate version you could opt for: the slightly smaller BreatheSmart Fit50 and smallest BreatheSmart Flex that lacks air quality sensors/ Auto mode. [UPDATE] Alen has added BreatheSmart 45i and 75i model in its lineup. Do check them out.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
Replacing the Activated Carbon Impregnated with Potassium Iodide and Zeolite bound HealthMate Plus in the list is the all-new Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780N. We rated highly of this smoke eliminator machine for many reasons but none-so than its excellent 6-stage filtration. Not only Rabbit Air MinusA2 can filter out most household microbes and allergens, its Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter and customized filter can extensively remove cigarette smoke odors from the air in addition to the toxic chemicals that flows along. Adding a comprehensive 815 sq. ft purifying range and punchy airflow delivery rate, Rabbit Air MinusA2 bring smoker air purifier to a whole new level.While Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780N is one of the best air purifier for smoker in banishing smoke and odors particles, its relatively uninspiring smoke CADR might suggest otherwise. It’s also not cheap particularly with the Wi-Fi enabled N version that might not be everyone’s fancy.
- Comprehensive 6-stage filtration that covers from Pre-filter, Medium filter, HEPA filter and customized filter.
- Easily pair with most smartphones for advanced personalized setting like air quality tracking and scheduling.
- Dedicated activated carbon filter and Negative Ion Generator that can be disabled if not needed.
- Low annual filter replacement cost despite utilizing many filters.
- Unique square frame body that can be mounted to the wall.
- Many designer or classic art front panel design to choose from. Compatible with all MinusA2 air purifier.
- 5 selectable speed with Auto/ Pollen/ Sleep mode.
- Trio Particle, odor and light sensor with adjustable air quality sensitivity.
- Sleep mode activates automatically when there is no light source. Fan speed will still auto-adjust according to surround air quality.
- Five-year warranty that fully cover any manufacturer's defects.
- Over $600 MRSP starting price EXCLUDING any selected designer front panel or addon filter.
- There is still some fine-tuning needed on the app UI and features e.g. limited scheduling, air quality overtime.
- Overall dust, pollen and smoke CADR is decent but not over the top figures.
- Heavy for an air purifier designed to be mounted on the wall.
It might be the smallest and cheapest in our air purifier for smoke list, Holmes Smoke Grabber Ashtray HAP75-UC2 is technically a premium ashtray rather than a genuine cigarette air purifier. The built-in multi-layered Activated Carbon filter does help in alleviating smoke smell coming from your cigarette butt by swiftly capturing them before it’s spread across the room. What's more, Holmes smoke grabber ashtray is highly portable (travel-friendly), battery operated so no power socket is needed and will automatically turned on once the lid is open. The super low price tag also make it a perfect gift for smoker that just won't quit.Is Holmes Smoke Grabber Ashtray HAP75-UC2 carbon filter strong enough to justify smokers from smoking indoor? No, but a half decent job would be better than none. If you need an ashtray and don't mind upgrading to a better and so-called “portable air purifier for cigarette smoke”, Holmes Smoke Grabber Ashtray is your answer. Again we must emphasize, smoking outdoor or at least through a window would be a better, costless solution.
- An upgrade to normal astray that capture smoke via its dual layer carbon filter.
- Cheap to own and maintain.
- Compact with removable, easy to clean tray.
- Automatic operation with lid opened and stop operation with lid closed.
- Able to hold around 5 - 8 lit cigarettes.
- No plug source required as the ashtray is powered by 2 D batteries.
- As expected limited airflow thus below average smoke absorption.
- Slightly noisy fan during operation.
- Short filter lifespan for heavy smoker.
- Batteries require frequent replacing for heavy user.
- The 6-stage filtration Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-700A would fit the bill well. For optimum result, select Odor Remover for its customized Filter.
- Comes with Ionizer, UV-Light and impressive smoke CADR return. GermGuardian AC9200WCA is it for you.
- Need something cheap yet can get rid of cigarette odor? See Hamilton Beach Odor Eliminator 04532GM.
Previous best air purifier for smoker
- Airmega 400S
- Austin Air HealthMate Plus