Who is this for?A quiet air purifier is suitable for everyone even if a person with asthma or hypersensitive to dust, mold, pollen, germ, and pets. Everyone would also appreciate a silent air purifier that purifies the air while running quietly in the background. If you have little one at home, a calming white noise could help the baby sleep better. As for your day-to-day life, having a subtle fan noise will allow everyone in the household to focus on their task and improve work efficiency.
2021 Best Quiet Air Purifiers
|Air Purifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Noise Level||Filtration||Coverage||Score|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780N Air Purifier|
|25.6-51.3 dB(A)||6-stage||815 sq. ft. (76 m2)||4.5|
|Blueair Sense+ Air Purifier|
|29-50 dB(A)||3-stage||186 sq. ft. (17 m2)||4|
|Airmega 300 Air Purifier|
|22-52 dB||4-stage||1256 sq. ft. (117 m2)||4.5|
|Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier|
|24.4-53.8 dBA||4-stage||326 sq. ft. (30 m2)||4.5|
|Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 Air Purifier|
|Silent||3-stage||250 sq. ft. (23 m2)||4.5|
|Levoit LV-H132 Air Purifier|
|<=43 dB||3-stage||129 sq. ft. (12 m2)||4|
Rabbit Air MinusA2 is our most comprehensive quiet air purifier listed here. For an air purifier of its caliber, the noise level is only between 25.6-51.3 dBA across its 5 fan speeds. There is also Sleep mode where the air purifier will automatically set the fan speed to low and dim the indicator light when there is no light source. Very convenient as you can just turn off the room light and the air purifier will automatically be whisper quiet. Best of all, you can still enjoy the benefit of quietness via the 6-stage filtration with HEPA filter capturing all the toxic irritants. Bad air quality with be a thing of the past with MinusA2 around.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 is not cheap at around 600 before discount. The pricing is justifiable considering it can cover 815 square feet with 218 cfm airflow delivery rate. You'll get a pre-filter, medium filter, HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter, customized filter, and negative ion generator in the package as well. This is also the only quiet air purifier here that is wall-mountable and comes with full features including remote control. For a cheaper alternative, you can opt for Rabbit BioGS that offers identical performance minus the frameable body.
- 5 fan speed. Subtle noise level at low speed (25.6 dBA) and acceptable noise at max speed (51.3 dBA)
- Cover up to 815 sq. ft. at with an overall 200 cfm CADR.
- 6-stage filtration with HEPA filter, Carbon filter, Medium filter, Customized Filter, and Negative Ion generator.
- Auto mode, Pollen mode, Sleep mode, and Wi-Fi enabled.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Very expensive that cost more than 600 excluding the customizable panel add on.
- Rabbit Air BioGS is way cheaper with better noise suppression.
Where are a lot of smaller Blueair models we could go for, but we decided to go with Blueair Sense+ air purifier. The noise level is only at 29 dBA low speed and will go up to 50 dBA at full speed. Suitable for work and night use as the max noise output is still sorter than a normal conversation. It is balanced between performance and noise output so you will still get a good kick in purifying. Powered by the same HEPASilent Technology with Blueair Sense Particle and Active carbon filter used by its bigger brother. Dust mites, germs, mold, tobacco smoke, radon, and VOCs will be removed quietly in the background. Did we mention Blueair Sense+ comes with 5 years warranty and is Wi-Fi enabled as well?
So why should you hold back in getting Blueair Sense+? The price tag of course. The all-round premium materials have pushed the price tag close to 400. For this price, the airflow delivery rate and the applicable area are way behind its competitors. You could easily pick up a Winix or Honeywell air purifier with double the airflow output. But if money is not an issue, this will be a solidly built, compact air purifier with a proven HEPA filtration.
- 3 fan speed. Quiet operation at 29 dBA low speed and satisfactory noise at 50 dBA max speed.
- Cover 186 sq. ft. at with CADR max at 150 cfm.
- 3-stage filtration with HEPASilent Technology.
- Wi-Fi enabled with motion sensors control.
- 5 years standard warranty.
- Expensive for a mid-range air purifier.
- Average airflow performance with limited purifying range.
The best quiet air purifier for large rooms with exceptional performance. Airmega 300 is many people's favorite for a good reason. Outputting noise level of only 22 dB at low speed to a maximum of 52 dB, Airmega 300 will clear nearby air anonymously while you go on with your daily life. At max speed, the air purifier can cover room size up to 1256 sq. ft. with a highly impressive 260 cfm dust, pollen, and smoke CADR. Best of all, Airmega 300 comes with a built-in sensor to support Auto mode and Sleep mode. The air purifier will always run at the lowest speed with the least fan noise unless it detects bad air quality.
If you are hypersensitive to dust, dust mites, mold, pollen, bacteria, smoke, and musty smell, Airmega 300 will be a godsend. That said, it is not cheap and so is the filter replacement cost. Expect to pay a recurring fee of 100 in the filter pack. What you will 100% get though, is an excellent air purifier that has dual pre-filter, True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. Totally worth it in our book.
- Silent 3-speed operation. At only 22 dB low speed and 52 dB at max speed.
- Cover a high 1256 sq. ft. at with 260 cfm CADR on dust, pollen, and smoke.
- 4-stage filtration with Max2 HEPA filter an Carbon filter.
- Air quality indicator with Auto, ECO and Sleep mode.
- 5 years full warranty.
- Expensive but there are plenty of great deals online.
A silent air purifier that is packed with performance without costing you an arm and leg. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty air purifier generates only 24.4 dB noise level at low speed and peak at max 53.8 dBA. At this airflow output, Coway Mighty can still cover up to 326 square feet of room space with a high 200+ cfm CADR. Supporting the strong airflow is a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, deodorization filter, and ionizer. Stubborn airborne pollutants like pet dander, mold, bacteria, and viruses will be pulled down by the negative ions and capture by the 4-stage filtration. You can run Coway Mighty all-day every day quietly while you work, eat, and sleep.
It is really hard to find fault in this air purifier. For around 200 dollars, you'll get a complete HEPA filtration with Auto mode and sleep mode. Yes, both automation purifying is included in this affordable price which is very important to silent operation. The only negative that we might have is the short carbon filter lifespan but even that will not deter the quietest in any way.
- Silent 3-speed operation. At 24.4 dB low speed and 53.8 dBA at max speed.
- Support 326 square feet room size with 246 cfm for dust, 240 cfm for pollen, and 233 cfm smoke.
- 4-stage filtration with True HEPA filter, Deodorization filter, and Ionizer.
- Smart air quality indicator, Auto mode, and Eco mode.
- 3 years warranty.
- The short carbon filter lifespan is the only minor drawback.
Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 is the best quiet air purifier with permanent filter. It has a slim framework and can even be placed on a table. Inside the framework, the QuietClean ifD technology is silent across all 5 speeds and can cover up to 250 sq. ft. of room space. Because ifD works very well with the ionizer, most people will leave it in sleep mode all-day and let the air purifier clean the air noiselessly. On a bad day when air quality is poor, you can still crank up the speed to Allergen or Max cleaning power so more airborne irritants will be captured. Just wash the filter periodically and it can be reused over and over again.
Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 air purifier is inexpensive and will save you a lot of money in the long run. However, it is less effective than a conventional HEPA filter and poor against smoke particles. To do that, you will need to upgrade to the odor reducing pre-filter to get rid of smoke coming from cigarettes, pets, and cooking. Nevertheless, if you just want a quiet air purifier with a permanent filter, Honeywell AirGenius 5 will not disappoint you.
- Silent operation across all 5 speeds.
- Support 250 sq. ft. room size with 160 cfm dust, 170 cfm pollen, and 161 cfm smoke.
- Permanent QuietClean ifD technology.
- 5 years warranty.
- Not a genuine HEPA filtration setup with odor pre-filter an addon purchase.
- Average airflow delivery rate and coverage.
We covered the top of the line to mid-range air purifiers, so here is the entry-level model to conclude the list. Levoit LV-H132 is an affordable and compact air purifier that has a noise output of less than 43 dB. Despite the silent operation, Levoit LV-H132 still comes with a True HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter. The respectable 3-stage filtration will trap nearby 129 square feet pollutants including allergens that are as small as 0.3 microns. With effective air purifying, this will be an ideal air cleaner to be placed on a work desk or bedside table without causing any disturbance. If you have children at home, the 2 setting night light would also come in handy to give them a sense of security.
For less than 150, there will be a few things that are lacking in Levoit LV-H132. The most obvious one is the weak airflow performance together with relatively small filters. The omitted sleep mode or auto mode can be a big miss too. Lastly, both the filters require replacing every 6 months. Despite all the flaws, there is no denying that Levoit LV-H132 is an affordable, small quiet air purifier that you can rely upon. A good entry-level air purifier to kick start your quiet journey.
- Very silent at less than 43 dB noise output.
- Cover 129 square feet room space with an average 110 cfm CADR.
- 3-stage filtration with True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon Filter.
- Cheap and compact.
- Short filter lifespan.
- Weak airflow performance that is only meant for close-range purifying.
What Is The Loudest Air Purifier?
Airgle AG900 is the loudest air purifier we ever reviewed that produced 68 dBA noise at max speed. The loud fan noise can be distracting especially when you are trying to focus on work, sleep, or watch TV. To give you a context on how loud is 68 dBA, a whisper sound is around 20 dB, a vacuum cleaner noise is around 80 dB while blender noise is about 100 dB. 68 dBA noise is similar to a noisy restaurant which can be hurtful if a person spends more than 8 hours in the environment. Rabbit Air MinusA2 would be a great quiet air purifier alternative to AG900 with its comprehensive 6-stage HEPA filtration.
Are Air Purifiers Noisy?
Generally, most air purifiers are not noisy as they produced noise levels between 20 dB to a maximum of 60 dB. That is similar to the sound of whispering or in a library. Even at max speed, it is only comparable to a normal conversation noise. The reason why an air purifier has low noise output is because most of the noise comes from the fan and will be suppressed in the body. The spinning fan will pull airborne contaminants into the air purifier for the HEPA filter to capture before releasing clean air out. So the slower the fan speed is, the less noise the air purifier will generate. You can reduce the air purifier's noise level by setting the fan speed to low or auto/ sleep mode.
Why Is My Air Purifier So Loud Out Of a Sudden?
This usually happens when the pre-filter or HEPA filter is dirty thus prevents air from passing through. When an air purifier starts making loud crackling noise even though you're running at low speed, it's time to clean or replace the filter. Remove the filter and start vacuuming all the trapped particles like dust, hair, dirt, and pet dander. If the filter like HEPA is not washable, just replace it with a new filter and the loud noise will be gone.
What To Consider When Buying An Quiet Air Purifier
Noise level is not the only thing you should look into when buying an air purifier. As there are only a good handful of silent air purifiers out there, picking the wrong model may result in an ineffective air purifying. To help you choose the right quiet air purifier based on your needs, where are some of the key features you should look into.
- Noise level - The first and most important factor in choosing a silent air purifier. Look for an air purifier that generates noise around 20 dB at the lowest speed and not more than 60 dB at the highest speed. You can manually set the air purifier to low for whisper quiet operation and only switch up to max speed when air quality is bad.
- Sleep mode - An important feature that will reduce noise by setting the fan speed to the lowest. Some air purifier comes with a light sensor will automatically activate sleep mode when the room turns dark.
- Auto mode - Automatically adjust the fan speed based on surrounding air quality. When air quality is good, the fan will maintain at low speed and noise will be kept at a minimal level.
- Room size (coverage) - Decide where you want to place the air purifier, then you can decide which model to go for. The right fit air purifier will ensure adequate performance to remove airborne particles in a living space.
- Airflow delivery rate - The high airflow output and CADR must tally with the noise level. Avoid picking models that have CADR below 200 cfm unless you intend to use for close range purifying.
- Pre-filter - The first-stage filter that traps large particles like dust, fur, debris, and hair. Most permanent pre-filter is washable unless it is a carbon pre-filter. A carbon pre-filter is a filter combined with a carbon sheet that requires replacing quarterly or annually.
- HEPA filter - Most quiet air purifier comes with either type of HEPA filters. A True HEPA filter will capture 99.97% airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns. A HEPA-type filter will capture 99% airborne particles as small as 2 microns. Needless to say, a true HEPA filter would be a better pick.
- Activated Carbon filter - Again, there are few types to go with. A good carbon filter will trap all smoke particles and odors from your home. If you have particularly sensitive to smell from mold, tobacco, or even diaper, look for an air purifier with this filter.
- UV-light - The main filtration for UV air purifiers. Uses short-wavelength UV light that generates zero noise to kill microorganisms by damaging their DNA. Super effective against germs and bacteria.
- Ionizer - A technology that produces little noise while releasing millions of negative ions into the air. The negative ions with electrostatically merge positive ions irritants and cause it to fall due to the heavier weight.
- Price - Other than the retail price, most air purifiers require the filters to be replaced annually and is going to cost you. Make sure you do your research and are comfortable with the filter replacement cost every year.
- Power consumption - Most silent air purifier has low power usage due to weaker airflow output. For long hours of operation, expect an annual electricity bill between $30-100 depending on the sizes of the air purifier.
- Warranty - Most air purifiers come with 5 years warranty on parts and labors. However, certain brands have limited service centers and if the unit does break down, you might have difficulty sending it for repair.