What Is a Small Dehumidifier?
Also known as a portable or mini dehumidifier, a small dehumidifier is a tiny device used to draw close range moisture in the air. The water will then drip down into the removable reservoir for emptying. By keeping moisture level below 50% mark, it will make the air much more breathable, free from allergens and bacteria. It will also create an inhabitable environment for mold, mildew, and dust mites. You will experience fewer allergy symptoms like cold and reduce the risk of an asthma attack. Most models are priced between $30-100 dollars depending on the dehumidifying capacity. Think about it as the scaled-down version for a standalone dehumidifier around the size of an electric kettle.
How Do Small Dehumidifiers Work?
Small/ mini dehumidifiers are all powered by thermoelectric technology. It uses a Peltier module, a fan, a cold side heat sink, and a hot side heat sink to convert energy via temperature difference or vice versa. This phenomenon dehumidification cycle is known as Peltier effects and is known for its silent and maintenance-free operation. You can learn more about how Peltier technology works here.
Who is this for?Everyone could do with a small dehumidifier. If you have a very tight budget and would want something that can be used straight out of the box. It is also best used in a small room or tight spaces like RV, bedroom or bathroom. Otherwise, a full-sized dehumidifier would make more sense.
Let's start with our mini complication list with one of the 2 best small dehumidifiers for bedroom. Ivation IVADM35 at first glance looks exactly like every other compact dehumidifier here. It has the typical one button layout, two indicator light, and front ventilation to draw in moisture. But upon closer inspection, it can capture up to 20 ounces of water per day. That's twice the performance than some of its competitors. The bottom reservoir is also large enough to support 68 ounces of water with auto shut-off. You can safely leave it unattended for an estimated 3-4 days. Perfect for busy folks like us.
Given the extra power boost, Ivation IVADM35 thermo-Electric weaknesses are the cost. The price can go twice as high compared with some of the rival's models. The body is also somewhat larger but not by a significant margin. Overall, if you want a mini bedroom dehumidifier that is at top of its game, go with this one.
- Cover up to 220 sq. ft. or 2200 cubic feet of coverage..
- Larger resevoir that holds roughly 3 days worth of water.
- Sensitive auto-shutoff function.
- Slightly pricey and "fat" for a portable dehumidifier of its class.
The prettiest portable dehumidifier here that still looks exactly like the conventional one. Pro Breeze PB-02-US might not be everyone's top pick, it is still a highly functional and dependable dehumidifier. It has typical 9-ounce moisture capturing, an 18-ounce water tank that can hold 2 days of water, and auto shut-off when the bucket is full. The buttons and indicators are laid out exactly where it should be: right at the front top. It will also work on the standard wall plug without any issue. A good alternative from your usual brand.
At less than $40, Pro Breeze PB-02-US mini dehumidifier performance is average in its class. It is only suitable for close approximate use like table, bedside, toilet, or RV. It will not work in freezing temperature but this applies to most dehumidifiers here.
- Less than 40 bucks after discount.
- Standard 9oz moisture capturing per day with 18 oz water tank capacity.
- Limited 120 sq. ft. coverage.
- Unusable in low-temperature operation.
Like Ivation, SEAVON MD-819 is another nominee for the best small dehumidifier bedroom. It is also our pick of the bunch despite not being the most well-known brand here. The 9 ounces of moisture capturing and 16 ounces of water capacity might not be a game-changer, it can still keep humidity down if given the time. On overnight operation, one can expect an estimated 170 square feet coverage in dehumidifying. This will keep you waking up fresh in the morning every day at less than 40 bucks in price tag.
SEAVON MD-819 is still very much a thermo-electric dehumidifier. It runs silently in the background without affecting your sleep as there are no moving parts. You do not have to clean or maintain the dehumidifier ever. However, it will not work below 41°F temperature. Not a big deal for home use but it's good to keep this in mind.
- Less than 40 dollars (after discount).
- Complete silent thermo-electric operation.
- Highly energy efficient.
- Rather small water tank at only 16 ounces capacity.
- Like most models here, it will not work below 41°F temperature.
Eva-dry Edv-2200 might not be different from other dehumidifiers in the market, it is still a highly reliable moisture removal. With 20.5 ounces of water capturing at 2,200 cubic feet, it will keep close range mold, mildew, and other allergens under control. The 68 ounces of water tank is easily removable for emptying and cleaning. The large volume also means it can hold up to 3 days of water. Upfront, you have an indicator that will let you know when the water tank is full. Pretty standard setup and that's why we loved it.
Eva-dry Edv-2200 is the ideal choice for recreational vehicle use, studio, bathroom, and bedroom. Being a Peltier dehumidifier, it is also super efficient and silent that will not disrupt your daily activity. What is somewhat controversial is dependability where some users reported a defective unit after a couple of months. Take it as a pinch of salt as the majority of the reviews are still on a high positive scale.
- Cover up to 2,200 cubic feet of room space.
- Large 20.5 ounces water tank supported by auto-off feature.
- Compact, lightweight with easy slide-out tank.
- A tad pricey given its extra dehumidification juice.
- Slighlty dated model.
Gurin DHMD-210 is 100% a mini dehumidifier both inside and out. It is very small, very quiet, and very cheap. Inside the dehumidifier is powered by the Peltier technology that removes moisture without relying on a fan. The portable body and silent operation allow Gurin the flexibility to fit inside a bathroom, bedroom, or on the bookshelf. Operating this compact dehumidifier id also dead easy with only a single on/ off button. Just plug to your nearest wall socket and you're good to go!
Given Gurin DHMD-210 is a small dehumidifier with limited capacity, the performance you will get out of it is below average. In our test, it will only cover 110 square feet of space. The water tank size is also tiny that it can only hold 2-3 days of water at its pace. If you don't need anything fancy or your home is not infested with mold and spore, this affordable machine will do just fine.
- Cheap, compact, and easy to use.
- Plug and play, thermo-electric technology setup.
- Auto shut-off feature.
- Limited to 110 sq. ft. dehumidification.
Ivation IVADM45 is the most unconventional, small dehumidifier in the list. It looks nothing like the rest and in fact, it is a hybrid between a full-fledged and a mini model. Why do we say that? First, it has a front digital display that shows the room humidity level. None of the mini dehumidifiers have that. Then the boxy shape with grabbing handles resemblances of a 30-pint model. Finally, its moisture capturing capacity is beyond most models here but still locked at 2,200 cubic feet coverage. Great if you want a dehumidifier that can give you a little bit more.
So why do we think Ivation IVADM45 is the perfect small dehumidifier? Because it is still cheap, compact (for its class), and inexpensive. It also uses the same thermoelectric technology that is silent and energy-efficient. Adding the large 68 ounces reservoir, IVADM45 would be a great choice to break free of the monotonous option.
- Advanced Peltier technology that covers up to 2200 Cubic Feet.
- Front humidistat display with water full indicator light.
- Very large 68 ounces water reservoir.
- Silent thermoelectric operation.
- Can be a little bit large to fit inside a wardrobe.
- Pricing is on the higher side for a compact dehumidifier.
🏆 Honorable mention
- DeLonghi series
📃 Previous holder
2020 Best Mini Dehumidifiers
|Dehumidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|Ivation IVADM35 Mini Dehumidifier|
|20 oz||2200 ft3||5.5|
|Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier|
|9 oz||1200 ft3 (150 sq. ft.)||5.9|
|SEAVON MD-819 Dehumidifier|
|9 oz||170 sq. ft. (16 m2)||5.9|
|Eva-dry Edv-2200 Mini Dehumidifier|
|20.5 oz||2200 ft3||5.6|
|Gurin DHMD-210 Mini Dehumidifier|
|8 oz||2200 ft3||5.4|
|Ivation IVADM45 Mini Dehumidifier|
|25 oz||2200 ft3 (100 sq. ft.)||6.1|
What are ACH and CFM?
ACH is the abbreviation for air changes per hour. It is the definition of the number of air passages made to the dehumidifier hourly. The higher the air changes frequency, the less airflow there is in the dehumidifier. CFM is the abbreviation for cubic feet per minute. It is used to determine the airflow velocity in cubic square feet space. You can get the value by multiplying the room size (height x width x length) and divide by 60. Most small dehumidifiers will only show you the official cubic feet it can cover so you can make comparisons straight out of it.
Things to Consider When Choosing The Best Small Dehumidifier?
Choosing the best mini dehumidifiers can be tricky as every model are identical to each other. The above list is made possible after many hours of research and comparison on the latest available models. To help you make the right call, here are several factors to consider in your hunt for the "right" one.
- Brand reputation - Picking a reputable brand will do you lots of good in the long run. There are just too many lookalike models in the market. A brand will a distinctive track record is a good assurance of its reliability and durability. Check out other users' reviews while you're at it.
- Pricing - A mini dehumidifier should be between the range of $30-100 dollars. Anything beyond you will be better suited with a 30-pint dehumidifier.
- Capacity/ Performance - The more moisture it can capture, the higher priority it will be given. Same goes with the water tank, the more water it can hold, the less emptying it is needed.
- Auto shut-off - No matter how cheap a small dehumidifier is, auto shut-down is a must-have feature. It will ensure the dehumidifier stops collecting water and prevents overflow.
- Dimension and weight - All mini dehumidifiers are compact and portable so it's safe to pay less attention to this.
- Noise level and Power consumption - Again, not a problem for small dehumidifiers as
- Peltier technology that does not rely on a fan or moving parts. Another advantage is the low power consumption that is standard across all models. Perfect for long night operation.