Is it even possible to find the best cheap air purifier that doesn’t suck (not to confuse with the air purifier airflow capability)? As they always said, good things are seldom cheap while cheap things are seldom good. Well, certainly not the case for the below budget air purifiers. In this post, we will look into some of the cheapest air purifiers currently available in the market that somehow manage to provide the best possible value. What we defined as value is the air purifier has to have at least a HEPA-type filter and/ or a carbon filter whether in the form of pre-filter or standalone. At the end of the reading, you should at least have a clearer thought on the reason behind each cheap air purifier inclusion along with features, spec, pros and cons.
What can a cheap air purifier do?
“Cheap” is a very loose term that would have whole new interpretation for different set of people. Let it be an air purifier under 200, 100, 50 or simply a heavily discounted air purifier, a lot of things a budget air purifier can do but most importantly it can provide clean air despite having an inexpensive price. The key differences between real cheap (cheaply built) and price cheap (affordable/ entry-level) product is cheap air purifier can perform its air cleaning duty reasonably well within its purifying capacities. If you look carefully, the best cheap air purifier currently on-sale in the market is typically the top-selling model that provide exceptional value to its user.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?People with allergies, infant, children, elderly that has a weaker immune system or pet owners with very little budget to begin with. Person staying alone, owns a studio unit or small family staying in a small house. A person new to air purifier that would like to give it try before investing on a bigger unit. A person that needs a secondary unit to complement on its primarily unit and finally anyone that needs clean air.
Best Cheap Air Purifier 2018
The middle child between Honeywell HPA300 and HPA100, Honeywell HPA200 might be a shadow to HPA300 in our best cheap air purifier list, its cheaper price point yet somehow manage to retaining most of its airflow performance prove to be the vital point in securing this spot. Whats make this affordable air purifier tick is the strong CADR return with ample of airflow output that on paper would cover most household bedroom or even living hall. Supporting the exceptional performance is a 3 stage filtration that consist of a carbon pre filter-that trap large particle and odor plus a highly efficient HEPA filter that would eliminate heaps of household contaminants.The downside of Honeywell HPA200? It lack any modern features such as auto mode that would further enhance the value of the air purifier. Annual filter replacement cost is also not the lowest but still acceptable. If features is important to you, the next budget air purifier would definitely suit you better.
- Low in price with reasonable purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 highly adjustable fanspeed.
- Carbon pre-filter that is good against dust and gas/ odors.
- Effective True-HEPA filter against micron size airborne particles.
- Optional Light dimming mode.
- 3 selectable pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks the highly useful Auto mode and air quality display/ indicator.
- Not the cheapest in filter replacement cost.
Rather than picking Winix 5500-2 as our cheap air purifier winner, Winix 5300-2 rightly earn this spot as it is cheaper yet identical in design, features and airflow. It also comes standard with air quality indicator, built-in sensor and auto/ sleep mode. On to filtration side, Winix 5300-2 is well-supported by a 4-stage filtration including the must have True HEPA filter and odor absorbing carbon filter. The result: a remarkable handling of large particles, allergens, smoke, gases and odors. Adding Plasmawave into the equation, you have yourself a very powerful yet inexpensive air purifier at a compelling price tag.On the negative aspects, picking Winix 5300-2 over 5500-2 means you have to forego remote control and dedicated advanced carbon filter. The CADR and purifying coverage is certainly not on par with the features value it brings. Last nitpicking point, the console body size is also far from compact. Speaking of size, the next item is probably the better choice if you have very limited room space.
- Very attractive price tag that offers improved spec, excellent purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4-stage filtration with PlasmaWave Technology.
- Odor control carbon filter that is capable of dealing with common odors and gases.
- Outstanding True-HEPA filter that has no problem trapping micron size allergens and bacteria.
- 4 fanspeed option plus the highly useful Auto mode and Sleep mode.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting.
- Extended 2 years warranty (Winix 5300 only comes with 1).
- The combined Odor carbon pre-filter is less effective against standalone carbon filter.
- Hassle and requires constant filter change on the 3 months deodorization carbon filters.
GermGuardian AC5250PT is a affordable 5-stage tower air purifier that offers comprehensive protection against dust, allergen and odor. It is also the only pet air purifier that comes with Pet Pure treatment aka antimicrobial which inhibit microorganisms growth such as bacteria and viruses. Complete with a dual function charcoal pre-filter, reliable HEPA filter and extra cover UV-C light that would eradicate any germs, bacteria and viruses, there is no better comprehensive filtration coverage you could get at this price range.Understandably not the cheapest given the features and comprehensive filtration, GermGuardian AC5250PT airflow performance and CADR has to take a dip to do with the tower size compactness. As as result it can only support smaller room size with its limited purifying radius. If you want something that is dirt cheap and don't mind the small purifying radius, see the next item.
- Affordable price for a HEPA tower purifier which cost less than half of other competitors is offering.
- Complete 4-stage filtration with UV-light and 5 fanspeed.
- Effective True HEPA with Pet Pure that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria.
- Proven UV-C light that would assist in eliminating airborne germs and bacteria.
- Comes with practical features such as timer, filter replacement indicator and digital display.
- UV function can be deactivated via a button.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Limited purifying coverage together with average airflow delivery rate.
- Annual filter replacement cost (with Pet Pure filter C) around the size of a brand new unit.
- Lacks air quality sensors and Auto mode.
- Uses combine Charcoal pre-filter rather than dedicated carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter reset alert that requires small object like paperclip to click and reset the button.
The smallest and cheapest air purifier under 100 (or under 50 after discount). GermGuardian AC4100 might not be the new kid on the block, it still somehow manages to squeeze in a 3-in-1 system filtration within its compact body. The portable design allows this cheap HEPA air purifier to be place at any desire location including top shelf, cabinet or desk. Going back to the air purifier filtration, you’ll get standard HEPA filter (must), charcoal + PCO filter and UV-C light (Yes, UV-C light) that would capture dust, household allergens and odors with ease so long it's within the air purifier purifying radius.The last sentence highlighted GermGuardian AC4100 limitation. It might be a good cheap air purifier, the small body means you have to take on a very small purifying coverage, below average CADR score and limited functionality. Still, we will give it a pass given its cheap selling price than cost no more than half of some air purifier filter.
- Beautiful speaker-like body that is compact yet reliable.
- Affordable price for a 4-stage filtration air purifier with UV technology.
- Enhanced Charcoal + PCO Pre-filter that works well with HEPA filter.
- UV-C light technology that can be turn off.
- Filter replacement indicator.
- Below average purifying coverage and filtration strength.
- Annual filter replacement cost is high for its segment.
- No addon features although understandable given its size and price tag.
Need an air price but don't have the cash to spare? In comes Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet air purifier 04384. Like GermGuardian AC4100, both air purifiers are cheap with many other similarities such as compactness, pet focus setup and low filter maintenance cost. Given the low base price and size constraint, Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04384 still comes bundled with 2 carbon zeolite filters that in our opinion, offers a better odor filtration than most cheap air purifier. Adding HEPA filter in the bag, Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04384 can handle large particles, allergens and odors pretty well within its limited purifying range.Like most compact and cheap air purifier, Hamilton TrueAir suffer from the same lack of airflow circulation and distribution thus only limited to small room size. Also, there are two more similarity affordable air purifiers from Hamilton Beach TrueAir series you could also opt for. We picked the more expensive Hamilton Beach 04384 air purifier simply for its enhanced odor filtration. If you are willing to give up on the carbon zeolite filters, no doubt the cheaper TrueAir version would suit you best.
- Very affordable price .
- Permanent HEPA grade filter that can be easily maintain with routine vacuuming.
- Compact and portable body.
- Versatile design where you can place the unit horizontally or vertically without ever affecting the airflow efficiency.
- Generally low noise output.
- Small airflow coverage with poor airflow delivery rate.
- Weak filtration (at only 3 micron) with gradual declining on the effectiveness of the permanent HEPA-filter .
- Ineffective against strong odor and chemicals.
- Plain vanilla unit with no features like timer, air quality status, Auto mode.
- Comes only with 1 year warranty (some basic unit offer up to 2).
A pretty uncommon brand lingering around a very competitive entry-level segment, PureZone 3-in-1 is one of the best value air purifier in the market and is a phenomenal that it manages to be one of the bestselling air purifier in Amazon. What makes it tick is the Holy Grail triple-layer filter that consist of a pre-filter, True HEPA filter and charcoal layer to remove large airborne contaminants like dust allergens like mold and odors like you (just kidding). Bundled in the whisper-quiet operation, auto-off timer, UV-C light that destroy germs, bacteria and viruses at mid-range purifying radius, PureZone 3-in-1 still manage to keep the price down and is backed by a 5 years manufacturer warranty. A worthy inexpensive option especially to those new to air purifier scene.With all the loaded goodies, is no surprise that PureZone 3-in-1 has built its own fan base and rightly landed on our best cheap air purifier spot. One small problem though, the brand does not have other high-range model so if you plan to upgrade from the same stable line in the future, you're out of luck.
- Affordable price tag with decent performance.
- Very cheap bundled annual filter replacement cost.
- Lightweight and compact framework.
- Effective 3-in-1 filtration including Pre-filter, Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA filter.
- 4-stage filtration including UV-C light.
- 3 preset timer mode.
- 5 years warranty to attentive customer support.
- No dimmer to disable the Blue LED light that beams up with lights off.
- Lacks Auto mode/ air quality indicator although expected at this price range.
- CADR is far from best but again expected at its price.
You paid what you get for is not applicable for Levoit LV-132. As one of the best cheap HEPA air purifier in the market (top seller in Amazon), it offers no easy pushover specification including the generic 3-stage filtration. The filtration set includes a fine preliminary, mandatory HEPA filter and activated carbon filter that together would capture contaminants and allergens like dust mite, pet dander, pollen, mold, smoke and odor. Adding the fact that this is the only model in our best cheap air purifier list that comes with adjustable nightlight feature, Levoit LV-132 will gives you the extra edge if you have toddler or young kids.The slight damper to Levoit LV-132 is the starting price is as expected higher than most very entry-level air purifier without offering significant improvement in airflow performance and filtration. While the 2 years warranty is assuring, it is incomparable to some low-price air purifiers that offer 5 years warranty. Again, this is the only cheap air purifier that comes with the deal clincher nightlight.
- Cheap price tag.
- Very low filter replacement cost.
- 3-stage filtration that works without being compromised by the size.
- TrueHEPA filter performs well with the Activated carbon filter wrapped on it.
- Small and compact cylinder shape.
- Built in night light with 2 brightness setting.
- Thin Activated Carbon filter odor filtration that is far from great.
- Very small purifying coverage that barely cover a room.
- "Only" 2 years warranty (as oppose to model that offer 5).
- Plain on features other than 3 speed and night light.
- Holmes has a wide rage of affordable air purifiers that you could also look into.
- Likewise Honeywell is in the market for quite sometimes where many older/ discontinued model could still work its magic.
Previous best cheap air purifier
- GermGuardian AC4850PT