Good things are seldom cheap while cheap things are seldom good. That is certainly not the case for the below air purifiers. In this best list post, we will look into some of the cheapest available air purifiers in the market that still somehow manage to provide great value. What we defined as value is the air purifier has to have at least a HEPA-type filter and a carbon filter whether in the form of pre-filter or standalone. On top of that, every air purifier listed here will be clearly elaborated on the reason behind its inclusion along with features, spec, pros and cons. At the end of the list, you should at least have a clearer thought on what is needed on your side and can the options below fulfill your requirement.
What can a cheap air purifier do?
A lot of things and most essentially it can still provide clean air despite having a cheap price. The key differences between real cheap (cheaply built) and price cheap (affordable) is the possibility of a cheap air purifier performing reasonably well within its capability. What you will find below is the list of air purifiers that provide the best value without compromising too much on its cheap price range.
How do we measure?
Who is this for?People with allergies, infant, children, elderly that has a weaker immune system or pet owners with very little budget to begin with. Person staying alone, owns a studio unit or small family staying in a small house. A person new to air purifier that would like to give it try before investing on a bigger unit. A person that needs a secondary unit to complement on its primarily unit and finally anyone that needs clean air.
The middle child between Honeywell HPA300 and HPA100, Honeywell HPA200 might be a shadow to HPA300 in our best list pick, its cheaper price point prove to be the vital point in securing this spot. Whats make this affordable machine tick is the strong CADR return with ample of airflow output that would cover most household bedroom or even living hall. Supporting the exceptional performance is a 3 stage filtration that consist of a carbon pre filter that trap large particle and odor plus a highly efficient HEPA filter that would eliminate heaps of household contaminants.The downside of Honeywell HPA200? It lack any modern features such as auto mode that would further enhance the value of the air purifier. Annual filter replacement cost is also not the lowest but still acceptable. If features is important to you, the next item would definitely suit you better.
- Low in price with reasonable purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4 highly adjustable fanspeed.
- Carbon pre-filter that is good against dust and gas/ odors.
- Effective True-HEPA filter against micron size airborne particles.
- Optional Light dimming mode.
- 3 selectable pre-set timer.
- 5 years warranty.
- Lacks the highly useful Auto mode and air quality display/ indicator.
- Not the cheapest in filter replacement cost.
Rather than Winix 5500-2, Winix 5300-2 rightly earn this spot as it is cheaper yet has very similar in design, features and airflow with only remote control and dedicated carbon filter to forego (uses dual carbon pre-filter instead). Comes standard with air quality indicator, built-in sensor and auto/ sleep mode, Winix 5300-2 is well-supported by a 4-stage filtration that is great at handling large particles, allergens and smoke/ gases. Adding Plasmawave into the equation, you have yourself a very powerful air purifier at a compelling price tag.On the negative aspects, the CADR and purifying coverage is not on par with the features value it brings. Its console body size is also far from compact. Speaking of size, the next item is probably the better choice if you have very limited room space.
- Very attractive price tag that offers improved spec, excellent purifying coverage and CADR.
- 4-stage filtration with PlasmaWave Technology.
- Odor control carbon filter that is capable of dealing with common odors and gases.
- Outstanding True-HEPA filter that has no problem trapping micron size allergens and bacteria.
- 4 fanspeed option plus the highly useful Auto mode and Sleep mode.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting.
- Extended 2 years warranty (Winix 5300 only comes with 1).
- The combined Odor carbon pre-filter is less effective against standalone carbon filter.
- Hassle and requires constant filter change on the 3 months deodorization carbon filters.
GermGuardian AC5250PT is a affordable 5-stage tower air purifier that offers comprehensive protection against dust, allergen and odor. It is also the only pet air purifier that comes with Pet Pure treatment aka antimicrobial which inhibit microorganisms growth such as bacteria and viruses. Complete with a dual function charcoal pre-filter, reliable HEPA filter and extra cover UV-C light that would eradicate any germs, bacteria and viruses, there is no better comprehensive filtration coverage you could get at this price range.Understandably not the cheapest given the features and comprehensive filtration, GermGuardian AC5250PT airflow performance and CADR has to take a dip to do with the tower size compactness. As as result it can only support smaller room size with its limited purifying radius. If you want something that is dirt cheap and don't mind the small purifying radius, see the next item.
- Affordable price for a HEPA tower purifier which cost less than half of other competitors is offering.
- Complete 4-stage filtration with UV-light and 5 fanspeed.
- Effective True HEPA with Pet Pure that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria.
- Proven UV-C light that would assist in eliminating airborne germs and bacteria.
- Comes with practical features such as timer, filter replacement indicator and digital display.
- UV function can be deactivated via a button.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty.
- Limited purifying coverage together with average airflow delivery rate.
- Annual filter replacement cost (with Pet Pure filter C) around the size of a brand new unit.
- Lacks air quality sensors and Auto mode.
- Uses combine Charcoal pre-filter rather than dedicated carbon filter.
- Troublesome filter reset alert that requires small object like paperclip to click and reset the button.
The smallest and cheapest air purifier in out list yet still manage to squeeze in a 3-in-1 system filtration, GermGuardian AC4100 compact design enable the air purifier flexibility to be placed at any place including top shelf, cabinet or desk. For such mere price, you get standard HEPA filter, charcoal + PCO filter and UV-C light that would capture dust, household allergens and odors with ease so long it's within the air purifier purifying radius.And the last sentence clearly highlight GermGuardian AC4100 limitation. It has a very small purifying coverage, below average CADR score and limited functionality. Given its cheap selling price than cost no more than half of some air purifier filter, you paid what you get for.
- Beautiful speaker-like body that is compact yet reliable.
- Affordable price for a 4-stage filtration air purifier with UV technology.
- Enhanced Charcoal + PCO Pre-filter that works well with HEPA filter.
- UV-C light technology that can be turn off.
- Filter replacement indicator.
- Below average purifying coverage and filtration strength.
- Annual filter replacement cost is high for its segment.
- No addon features although understandable given its size and price tag.
An alternate to AC4100 is Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet air purifier 04384. Both air purifiers has many similarity such as compact size, pet focus setup, very cheap base price, plain on feature with the exception of filters built. Instead of the combined Charcoal + PCO filter from AC4100, Hamilton Beach 04384 comes bundled with 2 carbon zeolite filters that in our opinion, it offers a better odor filtration. Adding a HEPA filter in the bag, Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04384 can handle large particles, allergens and odors pretty well within its limited purifying range.There are two more similar air purifiers from Hamilton Beach TrueAir series you could also opt for. We picked Hamilton Beach 04384 as it offers added odor filtration though at a higher cost. If you are willing to give up on the carbon zeolite filters, no doubt the cheaper TrueAir version would suit you best.
- Very affordable price .
- Permanent HEPA grade filter that can be easily maintain with routine vacuuming.
- Compact and portable body.
- Versatile design where you can place the unit horizontally or vertically without ever affecting the airflow efficiency.
- Generally low noise output.
- Small airflow coverage with poor airflow delivery rate.
- Weak filtration (at only 3 micron) with gradual declining on the effectiveness of the permanent HEPA-filter .
- Ineffective against strong odor and chemicals.
- Plain vanilla unit with no features like timer, air quality status, Auto mode.
- Comes only with 1 year warranty (some basic unit offer up to 2).
A pretty uncommon brand lingering around a very competitive market, at PureZone 3-in-1 is the only air purifier in its stable and is a phenomenal that it manage to be one of the best selling air purifier in Amazon. What makes it tick is the triple-layer filter that consist of a pre-filter, True HEPA and charcoal layer that traps large airborne contaminants, allergens and odors. Bundled in the whisper-quiet operation, auto-off timer, UV-C light that destroy germs, bacteria and viruses at medium range purifying radius, PureZone 3-in-1 still manage to keep the price down and is backed by a 5 years manufacturer warranty.With all the loaded goodies, is no surprise that PureZone 3-in-1 has build its own fan base even though it does not have other higher range model if you plan to upgrade in the future. At a slightly higher price, no doubt this would be a worthy option especially to those new to air purifier scene.
- Affordable price tag with decent performance.
- Very cheap bundled annual filter replacement cost.
- Lightweight and compact framework.
- Effective 3-in-1 filtration including Pre-filter, Activated Carbon Filter and HEPA filter.
- 4-stage filtration including UV-C light.
- 3 preset timer mode.
- 5 years warranty to attentive customer support.
- No dimmer to disable the Blue LED light that beams up with lights off.
- Lacks Auto mode/ air quality indicator although expected at this price range.
- CADR is far from best but again expected at its price.
Also a not very common air purifier brand, Levoit LV-132 has an entry-level price tag yet it is no easy pushover as it comes standard with our mandatory 3-stage filtration. The filtration set includes a fine preliminary, HEPA and activated carbon filter that would capture contaminants and allergens such as dust mite, pet dander, pollen, mold and odor. Adding the fact that this is the only model in the list with nightlight feature (adjustable brightness), Levoit LV-132 will gives you the extra edge if you have kids.Starting price is expectedly higher than most very basic model air purifier without having a significant boost in airflow performance and filtration. While the 2 years warranty is assuring, it is uncomparable to other models that offer 5 years warranty. Again the nightlight could be the deal clincher.
- Cheap price tag.
- Very low filter replacement cost.
- 3-stage filtration that works without being compromised by the size.
- TrueHEPA filter performs well with the Activated carbon filter wrapped on it.
- Small and compact cylinder shape.
- Built in night light with 2 brightness setting.
- Thin Activated Carbon filter odor filtration that is far from great.
- Very small purifying coverage that barely cover a room.
- "Only" 2 years warranty (as oppose to model that offer 5).
- Plain on features other than 3 speed and night light.