By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Before we begin, you will definitely need a place to pour and refill water. You will also need to make sure all the right tools are ready. Most of these items can be purchased at a local hardware store or any department store. Finally, have a little bit of patience and time during the cleaning progress.
How To Clean a Dehumidifier Filter
A clean filter can prolong the dehumidifier's lifespan while ensuring consistent dehumidification performance. The step by step guides below will be applicable to all models that comes with a washable filter. For models that do not come with a reusable filter, you may skip to the last section. Always remember, never operate a dehumidifier without a filter.
- Shut down and unplug the dehumidifier - Very important step that most people ignore. You're at risk of an electric shock if you are not careful when removing the wet parts.
- Take out the filter - Most filters is located at the front or back panel. Just pop open the cover and pull the filter out through the tab or a slot. Some dehumidifier's filter can be slide out from the top so check the product's manual for more details.
- Remove any dust on the filter - Once the filter is out, you should be able to see how dirty the filter is. If you are not entirely sure, use your finger and swipe through the filter and see if there is a clear trail of dust. Use a wet cloth or dusting brush to gently wipe out any dust and grime. Alternatively, use a vacuum cleaner with brush attachment and lightly vacuum out any surface dust.
- Rinse the filter with lukewarm water (below 104°F) - With the tap water open, rinse the filter thoroughly until all dirt is gone. If there are stubborn dust that will not go away, apply some mild soap on the and gently brush it with a soft-bristled brush. Rinse it repeatedly until the soap was been completely washed out. Avoid using dishwasher, bleach or applying too much pressure on the filter as it will damage the filter.
- Allow the filter to dry - Use a dry towel and gently dab on the wet filter until it is almost dry. Then leave it to dry on room temperature for around 1-3 hours. Never use a hairdryer to fasten the drying process as the heat may end up damaging the filter material.
- Reinstall the filter - It's time to put back the filter in the exact order. Confirm the filter facing alignment and carefully slot in back. Close the panel and start running the dehumidifier for at least 1-2 hours. If there is an error code displayed or a weird knocking sound, check back on the filter position and repeat the installation again.
How Often Should You Clean A Dehumidifier Filter?
You should clean a dehumidifier filter every 2-4 weeks so it will not undermine the airflow performance. However, there are 3 factors that would impact the filter wash cycle. For a start, the longer the runtime, the more particulate matters will be collected on the filter. Next is the fan speed. Running on medium to high setting means the filter will get clogged quicker than low setting as more air particles are pushing in. Lastly, if you are staying in a very dusty environment, you will need to wash the filter more frequently as the surrounding air quality is bad.
How Often Should You Change The Filter In a Dehumidifier?
For models that utilize a non-washable filter, the general practice is to replace the filter every three months. The longer the operational hours, the quicker you will need to replace the filter. Check the product’s instructional manual for more information.
Save up to 40% discount