With a tagline “Pure Air for Life”, Alen air purifiers are known for its sturdy build quality, wide purifying coverage and personalizable cover. In this Ultimate Guide we will be looking at the latest Alen air purifiers features, design, purifying coverage, technology, filters and of course cost of ownership. Under the same section you can also check out each air purifiers detail specification plus what we like/ don’t like about it. Ultimately if you have decided or still considering Alen air purifier as a whole, this guide should give you a clear indication on your next step.
About Alen ReviewAt Alen, our team is driven to help you and your loved ones live your best by researching and developing thoughtfully designed and highly effective air purifying solutions that transform indoor environments. Customizable and comprehensive solutions that make it easy to select the best option for your needs, with air purifiers and filters that are simple to use and easy to maintain. Smart solutions for now. And for the future. Smart solutions that adapt as you do. That transform your life.
Source: Alen's official site
Getting to know Alen
Filters and Technologies
Overall airflow performance
Which Alen air purifier to go for?
Thanks to the changeable front panel cover. Alen BreatheSmart is still a refreshing model even though its been in the market for number of years. On first look it's very hard to tell apart between the other BreatheSmart model, Alen BreatheSmart stands top-of-the-line externally and internally with large body to accommodate its outstanding filtration. Underneath the "hood", Alen BreatheSmart superb 1100 sq. ft. purifying range and consistent airflow distribution is the best in BreatheSmart series and one of the best in the large purifying group. Features wise is very generous besides the 3-stage filtration (Pre-filter, selected HEPA filter and Ionizer), 4 fanspeed with Auto mode, Smart Filter Light filter replacement indicator, child-lock, ENERGY STAR rated and Lifetime warranty.What is the cons? Not much beside the expensive list price, typical loud noise at high speed and lacks dedicated carbon filter option. If you are going with this model, we recommend upgrading the filter to HEPA-OdorCell or HEPA-FreshPlus to cover smoke and odors based pollutants.
- Plenty of swappable wood trim front cover design.
- Wide purifying coverage, superior airflow delivery rate and highly adjustable (up to 4 speed).
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade to choose from depending on your needs.
- Ionizer could be turn on or off.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) depending on usage volume/ air quality.
- Accurate Smart Filter Light replacement indicator that calculates based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- Abundance of features - SmartSensor (air quality sensor), auto mode, filter life timer, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Alen unique Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Optional filter upgrade required).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter which could come in handy as filter replacement can be done separately.
- Noisy at highest speed nevertheless Auto mode does come to rescue.
Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 is slotted right in the middle between the standard BreatheSmart and FLEX. It still has a remarkable purifying coverage at 900 sq. ft. and airflow delivery that outshines other similar segment air purifier. BreatheSmart FIT50 airflow distribution might not be on the same par as standard BreatheSmart, but what you do get in-return is a smaller and more cost effective air purifier with the same set of features and wide variety of changeable front panel. Other features include SmartSensor with Auto/ Sleep mode, child-lock, filter replacement indicator and many more. As with other BreatheSmart models, we recommend upgrade the filter to HEPA-OdorCell or HEPA-FreshPlus for carbon deodorization missed in the default filter.With the same plus point as Alen BreathSmart, FIT50 weak points is no difference either so we will not go through it again. One thing worth noting is annual filter replacement cost is the highest between the 3 though not by a big margin. In short Alen BreathSmart FIT50 is "THE balanced one" that suit most people.
- Multiple color option/ wood trim design front panel cover.
- Excellent purifying coverage/ airflow delivery although its less effective against standard BreatheSmart.
- Up to 3 specialist filter upgrades (HEPA-FreshPlus , HEPA-Silver, HEPA-OdorCell).
- Ionizer is optional that can be disable via the button.
- Longer lasting filters (up to 18 months) on regular use.
- Smart Filter replacement indicator that calculates filter lifespan based on usage/ fanspeed/ environment.
- 4 fanspeed with Auto mode, SmartSensor, pre-set timer.
- Child friendly machine with safe vent guard and locking control panel.
- Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- HEPA-Pure filter lacks odor filtration and optional filter with deodorization requires top up.
- No dedicated odor carbon filter to support the HEPA filter lifespan.
- Noise is clearly audible at higher speed although still bearable.
"THE compact one" for BreatheSmart model, Alen BreatheSmart Flex might comes with the smallest dimension, lightest weight and weakest airflow performance, at 700 sq. ft applicable area. its no slouch either. Powered by the same 3-stage filtration with Pre-filter, Ionizer and 1 of the 4 types of HEPA filters, BreatheSmart Flex has the advantages over the other model in price point and size. Standard equipment includes a 4 fanspeed, our favorite swappable front panel (optional purchase), Smart light filter replacement indicator, Ionizer with on/ off button, timer and lifetime warranty cover by the manufacturer.As the smallest in its series, weaker airflow delivery rate and coverage is expected, what's left out in the equipment list is Alen's SmartSensor which is a requirement to support Auto mode. In short any of the 3 BreatheSmart air purifiers would do a bang up job but we would go with either FIT50 or standard BreatheSmart simply for the Auto mode.
- Changable front panel with tons of modern wood trim design.
- Consistent and strong airflow delivery rate that supports the wide purifying area.
- Up to 3 optional filter upgrade that is excellent against allergens and odors.
- Longer lasting filters compare with similar segment models although that would also depend on usage frequency.
- Built-in timer (2, 4, 12 hours).
- Child friendly machine with locking control panel and safe vent guard.
- Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Lacks odor filtration on bundled HEPA-Pure filter (Need to move up with one of the optional filter).
- No dedicated odor carbon filter that separates from the HEPA filter that would reduce each filter workload.
- Noisy at highest fanspeed although not the worst in its class.
- Lacks advanced filter replacement indicator (only basic version), SmartSensor (thus Auto mode), Ionizer. All these is available in BreathSmart/ FIT50.
Outshine by its own BreatheSmart series air purifier, Alen Paralda might have a conventional tower framework, the wide purifying coverage and strong airflow return would suggest otherwise. It might have standard 3-stage filtration similar with how other Alen's air purifier is setup, the latest Alen Paralda actually comes an upgraded HEPA Silver filter that is great in removing bacteria and germs. Another highlight of Alen Paralda is it manage to cramp in filter light indicator, programmable timer, digital display and still gets high airflow output. Combining the assurance of Alen Lifetime Limited Warranty, Alen Paralda is the tower air purifier you should look out for.As most tower air purifiers, the downside in space-saving size would usually eat up same performance efficiency when compare with conventional size air purifiers. Alen Paralda also lacks Smart Filter Light and have higher annual filter cost then the next item in the list which you should seriously consider as well.
- Extensive purifying applicable area as with T500.
- Comes with upgrade HEPA-silver filter.
- Cable Management System that can hide excessive cords underneath the air purifier.
- Top pulling filter change that can be done within minutes.
- The option to turn off Ionizer when not needed.
- On/ Off Night light keep your setting when the air purifier restarted.
- Programmable timer.
- At highest speed 4 setting, only standard fan white noise could be heard.
- Amazing lifetime limited warranty.
- Slightly weaker airflow delivery rate.
- No dedicated deodorization filter.
- Optional purchase is needed for odor filtration or dealing with strong chemical.
- Lacks quality sensors for monitoring and enabled Auto mode.
Lets be clear, Alen T500 is no looker nor it's a benchmark air purifiers; it shouldn't be. What Alen T500 should be is a reasonably price, compact, lightweight tower air purifier with wide purifying coverage and dynamic airflow. Utilizing the same 3-stage filtration method that includes pre-filter, HEPA filter (up to 4 selectable option) and Ionizer, annual filter replacement cost is on the cheap side thanks to the achievable 12 months filter lifespan. Alen T500 is also well equipped filter replacement indicator, digital display with 24 hour timer and Lifetime warranty. Another plus point worth mentioning is that the CADR and airflow delivery rate is actually better than Alen Paralda.Again tower air purifier might not have the best performance VS price point ratio compare with conventional air purifier, Alen T500 HEPA-Pure filter also does not comes with any deodorization and there is no standalone carbon filter to addon to its filtration. Between Alen Paralda and T500, We would highly recommend Alen T500 if you are looking for a space-saving yet capable tower air purifier.
- Comprehensive purifying coverage for a tower air purifier.
- Easy to bring around thanks to the compact size and back handle.
- Upgradable HEPA filters depending on your individual needs.
- Covered by Alen lifetime warranty.
- Ionizer function can be turned off.
- Up to maximum of 12 hour timer.
- Relatively subtle noise with loud but bearable noise at highest setting.
- No stand-alone deodorization filter.
- An optional filters purchase (HEPA-OdorCell) is required to deal with strong odor.
- Lacks air quality sensors and Auto mode especially at this price point.
Complete list of Alen air purifier reviewedIn no particular order, here is our most recent list of Alen reviews: Alen BreatheSmart 45i, Alen BreatheSmart 75i, Alen BreatheSmart Classic, Alen BreatheSmart FLEX, Alen BreatheSmart FIT50, Alen T100, Alen A375, Alen T500, Alen Paralda, click on the link below to learn more.
Explore all Alen models
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
There is a plastic/ rubber odor coming from my brand new air purifier.
Does Alen comes in power supply 220V as the current voltage is too low for my country.
Can you turn off the ionizer feature in Alen?
What is the smallest micron particles Alen can capture?
Is it safe to leave Alen air purifier on all the time?
Where is the best location for Alen air purifier?
How many fanspeed does Alen air purifier has?
There is a soft buzzing sound when Alen air purifier is running.
How do I replace the filter in Alen air purifier?
How often do I need to replace the filter in Alen air purifiers?
How noisy is Alen air purifier?
Does Alen air purifier cool the air or rather make the air feel warmer?
Can Alen air purifier lower a room humidity?
Does Alen air purifier produce ozone?
Where is Alen air purifier made from?
What does Alen Lifetime Limited Warranty cover?
- Warranty will only be applicable if you are the unit original purchaser and in the US or Mexico.
- Alen air purifier must be connected to a proper power supply (see voltage label). Using voltage converter, transformer or plug adapter will effectively void the warranty.
- Shows no evidence of tampering, accidental damage, mishandling, modification or repair by anyone other than authorized Alen service personnel.
- Replace the filter as stipulated timeframe in the manual to avoid excessive stress on the motor.
- Remember to keep your proof of purchase and register your Alen air purifier at www.alencorp.com/register or call 1-800-630-2396 for warranty validation.
What is the differences between each Alen HEPA filters and which Alen replacement filter should I get?
All Alen filters are great at addressing dust, allergies and asthma. For a specific concern, choose:
- HEPA-Pure - standard filter for household allergy relief.
- HEPA-Silver - advanced all-around solution filter that is best against mold, germs & bacteria.
- HEPA-Fresh/ HEPA-FreshPlus - chemical filter that is best against strong chemicals, smoke and VOCs.
- HEPA-OdorCell - odor neutralizer that is best in removing diaper smell and pet odor.
What is the difference between Smart Filter Light and standard Filter Light?
What is the differences between HEPA-Silver and HEPA-FreshPlus as both comes with activated carbon?
How many filters Alen used?
Which is the best filter for paint, chemicals or formaldehyde fumes??
Which is the best filter to get rid of the smoke from wildfire/ wood burning?
Does Alen get rid of cigarette smoke?
- Alen will not remove residual smoke/ odors from wall paint, furniture, carpet and drapes.
- Make sure Alen is used in the recommended room size or intended source.
- Run on higher fan speed for maximum efficiency.
- Avoid smoker from smoking indoor.
Which filter would work best to get rid of musty mold in a basement?
Which filter do I need to get rid of pet odors and litter box odors?
Which filter in Alen is best for just eliminating cooking smells in an open kitchen?
Is it possible to use more than 1 customizable filter at the same time?
How do I reset Alen filter indicator after I have replaced it with a new filter?
Where do I find Alen replacement filter?
What is the function of SmartSensor with Auto-Mode?
Is Alen air purifier wall mountable?
Which filter does Alen comes with?
Is Alen's HEPA filter washable?
Can you use an extension cord on Alen air purifier?
What is WhisperMax technology?
Can Alen front panel be painted?
What is the differences between Alen BreatheSmart Classic, BreatheSmart Fit50 and BreatheSmart Flex?
- Alen BreatheSmart is the highest range in its stable that has the best purifying coverage, CADR/ airflow follow by Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 and BreatheSmart Flex.
- Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 surprisingly has the lowest noise level although it's hard to tell in real life situation.
- Both Alen BreatheSmart and BreatheSmart Fit50 comes with WhisperMax technology and SmartSensor + Auto mode while BreatheSmart Flex have to do without.
- Alen BreatheSmart Fit50 and BreatheSmart Flex also comes with Advanced Smart Filter Life that calculates filter lifespan based on usage/ environment while BreatheSmart Flex have to do with basic Filter Life that based on runtime.
|Alen BreatheSmart||Alen BreatheSmart Fit50||Alen BreatheSmart Flex|
|Coverage||1100 sq. ft. (102 m2)||900 sq. ft. (84 m2)||700 sq. ft. (65 m2)|
|CADR||300 cfm (510 m3/h)||220 cfm (374 m3/h)||245 cfm (416 m3/h)|
|Airflow||150-286 cfm (255-486 m3/h)||110-231 cfm (187-392 m3/h)||53-187 cfm (90-318 m3/h)|
|SmartSensor + Auto mode|
|Filter replacement indicator||Smart Filter Light||Smart Filter Light||Filter Light|
|Weight||21 lb (9.5 kg)||16 lb (7.3 kg)||15 lb (6.8 kg)|
How to tell apart which BreatheSmart do I owned?
Alen indicator LED light is very bright. Is there a way to turn it off?
Ultimate Alen Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Alen BreatheSmart Classic||3-stage||1100 sq. ft. (102 m2)||8.8|
|Alen BreatheSmart FIT50||3-stage||900 sq. ft. (84 m2)||8.4|
|Alen BreatheSmart FLEX||2-stage||700 sq. ft. (65 m2)||8.5|
|Alen Paralda||3-stage||500 sq. ft. (46 m2)||7.3|
|Alen T500||3-stage||500 sq. ft. (46 m2)||7.5|