The compiled list of our most recent Winix air purifier review, Winix is a company that does not shy away from making affordable and reliable air purifier with the latest technology. In this Winix review complete guide, we will be focusing on every air purifier key features, purifying coverage, filters, usability and most importantly, price range including cost of ownership. You can also compare each Winix air purifier pros and cons along with other specification. Ultimately, this guide would give you a rough idea about Winix air purifiers and which model would be best suited to your needs.
About Winix ReviewWinix stands out against its competitors by priding itself on ease of use, technological innovation and award winning designs. Winix offers Air Cleaners, Air Washers, and High Quality Water Filtration Systems. This wide range of quality, built products for health conscious consumers, who want the best in Home Environment solutions is designed to provide the best service and unmatched quality!
Getting to know Winix
Filters and Technologies
Overall airflow performance
Which Winix air purifier to go for?
A worthy replacement to the ever popular Winix 5300 air purifier, Winix 5300-2 is a good place to start if you are new to Winix brand. Sharing a modern dark theme exterior with 5500-2, it has a reasonably price point for a 3-stage filtration, comes with 2-in-1 odor-control carbon pre-filter, True-HEPA filter and Winix PlasmaWave technology. What's new in 5300-2 compare with the previous model is the sorely missed timer, bumps up airflow performance, improved 2 years warranty and updated digital screen with air quality indicator. Combining a very large purifying coverage (close to 400 sq. ft.), consistent airflow and high CADR return similar to Winix 5500-2, Winix 5300-2 air purifier would have no issue dealing with pesky household pollutants.What is the trade-off you might ask? For starter pricing wise is not the cheapest nor is Winix filter replacement. Unlike other Winix air purifier, there is no remote control and dedicated carbon filter. Also, Winix 5300-2 market price is pretty close to 5500-2 that offers better AOC carbon filter plus a remote control.
- For less than 150 (or maybe even lower) online discount, Winix 5300-2 has excellent specification that matches air purifier 2-3 times of its price.
- Decent CADR and airflow output to support its 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration.
- Washable pre-filter that will filter out large particles thus reduce unnecessarily obstruction on the True HEPA filter and carbon filter.
- Outstanding True-HEPA filter that has no problem trapping microscopic allergens like germ and bacteria.
- Auto mode works great alongside the four speed while Sleep mode is very useful if Winix 5300-2 is placed in bedroom.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Extended 2 years warranty (Winix 5300 only comes with 1).
- The odor absorbing carbon filter is less effective than AOC carbon filter found in Winix 5500-2. You'll also get remote control as standard with a little bit of top up.
- Hassle and requires quarterly filter change on the deodorization carbon filters.
- Either Auto mode or odor sensor does not react quickly to nearby irritants particularly smoke. Not a big deal as the air purifier sensor will catch on sooner or later.
Back by popular demand, the beautiful black coated Winix 5500-2 air purifier is also a significant upgrade over Winix 5500 in almost every department. While the updated black design with informative display indicator is the most obvious changes, Winix 5500-2 also gain slight improvement on airflow delivery rate, purifying coverage and CADR. Standard features that is brought over from previous version includes Winix PlasmaWave, 3-stage filtration with True HEPA filter, latest AOC Advanced Granular Carbon filter, 4 fan speed, (1/ 4/ 8 hours) timer, remote control and VOC sensors that support Auto/ Sleep mode.Winix 5500-2 shares very little downside bar the slightly costly annual Winix filter replacement and noisy 3 - 4 fan speed. In short if you are stuck between Winix 5300-2 and 5500-2 air purifier, go with the later if you could spare the extra dough.
- Super attractive price (after online rebate) when you consider the complete specification offering.
- Decent CADR that covers medium room size well via its 4-stage filtration and PlasmaWave technology.
- Washable pre-filter that might be a hassle to maintain, you will be glad how much money and dust you have collected even a short period of time.
- Genuine, True-HEPA filter works as advertised in removing allergens and other germs microorganisms.
- Use a standalone AOC carbon filter rather than cheap out on a carbon pre-filter sheet.
- Full access remote control including the mode selector.
- 4 fan speed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode. Sleep mode pairs well with the light sensor that autonomously adjusts the LED indicator brightness according to the room ambient light.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Not outstanding, but an improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1-year warranty).
- We like the dedicated AOC carbon filter, but it's not the best in the market when it comes to strong, pungent smell.
- During our test, there is a delay (2-4 minutes) before the air purifier reacts to surrounding airborne particles. Either the odor sensor requires cleaning or the sensor takes its own sweet time to detect.
The latest and our favorite Winix review of the bunch, Winix HR1000 is a high airflow performance, pet approved, 5-stage filtration air purifier. The 5-stage goodies consist of pre-filter, CD carbon filter, Winix PlasmaWave and True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating on it. Thanks to the Wi-Fi pairing, you can virtually control Winix HR1000 from any part of the world so long you are connected online. Beside keeping a log on your air quality status, our all-time favorite feature via the app is the fully programmable timer that allows advanced fan speed scheduling. Other generic specification includes 4 fan speed, Particle sensors + VOC sensors, front indicator, built-in timer and child-lock.What’s not so great about Winix HR1000 air purifier is the noise level generated particular at higher speed. There is also the unavoidable costly annual filter replacement like every other Winix air purifier reviewed here. If you are entirely sure you have no use of the Wi-Fi feature, there is the cheaper Winix HR950 which is essentially the same model without the Wi-Fi capability.
- 5-stage filtration with permanent washable pre-filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Excellent True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Equally effective Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 4 fan speed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Sensitive Light and Smart sensor (Particle, VOC) with front air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allows distant control and advanced scheduling (multiple fan speed on any specific hours and day).
- Useful Child lock feature that prevents children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer that can be setup straight on the air purifier.
- 2 years warranty.
- Slightly expensive bundled filter replacement that requires yearly change.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glares up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as smooth sailing and straightforward as it should be.
Tower size air purifier catered for large purifying coverage and is Wi-Fi enabled? Sign me up! Packed in a compressed cylinder-shaped size that looks good as part of your home decor, Winix NK105 does not compromise on airflow performance or filtration as most tower air purifiers would. Underneath the machine you will find a 4-stage filtration that consist of washable pre-filter, HEPA filter, CD carbon filter and Winix PlasmaWave Technology. Winix NK105 high airflow delivery rate and CADR would ensure no dust, pollen or odor would be able to get away from the Winix air purifier. Other notable specification includes 4 speed, filter replacement indicator, child lock and of course Wi-Fi support that works exactly the same as Winix HR1000.It’s not all pretty though, the steep price and higher than most Winix filter replacement cost is a start. Winix NK105 also lacks built-in timer thus Winix SMART app is your only option. Again, same with Winix HR1000, if you do not fancy the Wi-Fi features, opt for Winix NK100 which is the same model without Wi-Fi support.
- Round tower housing that allows 360 degree air flow distribution with wide purifying coverage.
- Strong, consistent airflow to support 4 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- 4-stage filtration with True HEPA, Carbon filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Highly comprehensive scheduling via Winix SMART app where you could set multiple fanspeed at specific time and day.
- Again via the SMART app, you could turn on or off the unit at anywhere anytime.
- Child lock feature that prevent your loved one from meddling the control.
- Quick and simple filter replacement with only one filter cartridge yearly.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive to replace the all-in-one filter.
- Non-washable filter cartridge that if the filter is stuck with unwanted particles, the only solution is to replace the whole filter.
- Bright indicator light that does not dim down enough in sleep mode.
- Not easy connecting to WiFi devices including popular models such as iPad, iPhone and android devices.
The former top-of-the-line model, Winix Signature U450 is a well-loaded air purifier with all the practical and convenience features support. Utilizing the familiar 5-stage Winix PlasmaWave filtration setup (see specification below to learn more), Winix U450 has one of the highest CADR thus it's swift in removing airborne pollutants at a wide applicable area. Standard list of equipment from Winix U450 includes top digital display with air quality status, remote control, VOC sensor/ light sensor, Auto/ Sleep mode and class-leading 5 years warranty.As all Signature series air purifiers, Winix U450 is not cheap especially on Winix filter replacement. You will also not find any built-in timer in this model. For a similar but slightly cheaper alternative with tone down performance, see Winix U300.
- Minimalist design that is supported by the handy digital screen and remote control.
- Comprehensive airflow purifying coverage that is great for large size room.
- Impressive stats on all three dust, pollen, smoke CADR.
- 5-Stage Filtration including PlasmaWave Technology.
- The familiar True-HEPA filter that is extremely effective in capturing tiny micron size airborne pollutants.
- AOC advanced Granular Carbon Filter that would captures almost all type of odors and smokes.
- 4 fanspeed with auto mode.
- Sleep mode that dim all indicator lights automatically when there is no light source.
- Washable eco-friendly pre-filter and carbon filters.
- 5 years warranty with the optional extension.
- Considerably expensive with many cheaper alternatives such as Winix P450.
- Bundled cassette filter replacement is certainly not the cheapest in the market.
- Lacks built-in timer which is surprising given its availability in some of the lower end models.
- CleanCel Antimicrobial coated on pre-filter is not as critical as other filtration.
- Bulkier and heavier though justifiable with its capacity.
Winix 9500 Ultimate Pet air purifier might be slowly phasing out as newer models are coming in, this pet specialize machine is by no means inferior to any other above Winix air purifier. With 5-stage PlasmaWave filtration similar to what you will find in Winix U450, Winix 9500 is excellent against all types of airborne pollutants and odors including pet hair and pet dander. Other notable features include trio particle sensors (air, odor and light) with separate status display, filter replacement indicator, 4 fan speed with auto/ sleep mode, built-in timer and remote control. Another good thing about older model is the discounted price tag plus many great deals available online. Look it up!As mentioned earlier, Winix 9500 exterior looks dated despite having an informative digital display. CADR, airflow delivery rate is far from best and it only comes with 1 year warranty. The newer Winix air purifier HR1000/ HR 950 might be a better alternative to it.
- Advanced 5-Stage PlasmaWave filtration with separate pre-filter and carbon filter.
- A more efficient True-HEPA filter on small particles thanks to the pre-capture by the pre-filter.
- Upgraded advanced Granular Carbon Filter that is more effective than regular Activated Carbon Filter found in lower series.
- Both Anti-Bacterial Pre-Filter and Carbon Filter are washable.
- 4 selectable fanspeed plus Auto mode that works well with the sensors.
- Comes with the handy remote control.
- Built-in timer with pre-set 1, 4, 8 hours off option.
- Smart particle sensor that consist of dust, odor and even light detection.
- Detail front digital display with separate indicator on dust air quality and odor level.
- Only "1 year" warranty compared with other Winix Signature series air purifiers that offered up to 5 years.
- Limited replacement filters as it is discontinued despite sharing the same filters as Winix 9500.
- Improved but still far from the category best in CADR and purifying coverage given its price tag.
- CleanCel Anti-Bacterial Treatment is not as useful as other filtration.
What is PlasmaWave Technology
Complete list of Winix air purifier reviewedIn no particular order, here is our most recent list of Winix reviews: Winix QS, Winix C535, Winix HR1000, Winix HR950, Winix NK105, Winix NK100, Winix 9500, Winix 6300-2, Winix 5500-2, Winix 5300-2, Winix PlasmaWave 5300, Winix 5500, Winix 6300, Winix 9300, Winix P150, Winix P300, Winix P450, Winix U450, Winix U300, click on the link below to learn more.
Explore all Winix models
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
There is an odor coming from my brand new Winix air purifier.
Can I leave Winix air purifier on all the time?
Can I use U.S. model Winix with 120V power on a 240V outlet through step-up transformer?
What is the smallest micron particles Winix air purifier can trap?
Where is the best location for Winix air purifier?
How many fanspeed does Winix air purifier has?
There is a buzzing sound when Winix air purifier is running.
How do I replace the filter in Winix air purifier?
How often do I need to replace the filters in Winix air purifiers?
What is the difference between 3-Stage, 4-stage and 5-stage air cleaning?
What is the differences between Odor Control/ Activated Carbon Pre-filter and Advanced Odor Control (AOC) Washable Carbon Filter?
How noisy is Winix air purifier?
Does Winix air purifier cool the air or rather make the air feel warmer?
Can Winix air purifier lower a room humidity?
Does PlasmaWave Technology produce ozone?
Winix air purifier randomly turn off with no timer or auto mode set.
How do I reset my winix air purifier?
What is PlasmaWave ® Technology?
PlasmaWave produces hydroxyls, what is hydroxyls and is it dangerous?
Can I turn off the PlasmaWave feature in Winix air purifier?
What does the Winix limited warranty cover?
Where is Winix air purifier made from?
What is the function of Air Quality Sensor with Auto-Mode?
Is Winix air purifier wall mountable?
Does Winix comes with all the filters for this price or do we need to buy the filters separately?
How do you clean the pre-filter?
Should I vacuum Winix's carbon filter or HEPA filter periodically to boost the filters lifespan and usability?
Is Winix's True HEPA filter washable?
Where do I find Winix replacement filter?
Can you use an extension cord to power Winix?
When Auto mode is selected, sleep mode is enabled by default?
What is Winix Smart?
Can I use Bluetooth on Wi-Fi enabled air purifier?
What is the differences between Winix 5300-2 and 5500-2?
What is the difference between Winix 5500-2 and WAC5500?
What's the difference between the P450 and the U450?
What is the difference between the Winix 9500 vs Winix 5500?
Ultimate Winix Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Winix 5300-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||7.8|
|Winix 5500-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||8.5|
|Winix HR1000||5-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||9|
|Winix NK105||4-stage||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.5|
|Winix U450||5-stage||450 sq. ft. (42 m2)||8.6|
|Winix 9500||5-stage||284 sq. ft. (26 m2)||8.1|