About Winix ReviewWinix stands out against its competitors with technological innovation and award-winning designs. Focusing on quality products for health-conscious consumers that want the best in Home solutions.
Getting to know Winix
Filters and Technologies
Overall airflow performance
Complete list of Winix air purifier reviewedIn no particular order, here is our most recent list of Winix reviews: Winix HR900, Winix QS, Winix C535, Winix HR1000, Winix HR950, Winix NK105, Winix NK100, Winix 9500, Winix 6300-2, Winix 5500-2, Winix 5300-2, Winix PlasmaWave 5300, Winix 5500, Winix 6300, Winix 9300, Winix P150, Winix P300, Winix P450, Winix U450, Winix U300,
Which Winix air purifier to go for?
A worthy replacement to the ever-popular 5300 air purifier. Winix 5300-2 is a good place to start if you are new to the brand. Sharing a dark theme exterior with 5500-2, it has a reasonable price point for a 3-stage filtration. This includes a 2-in-1 odor-control carbon pre-filter, True-HEPA filter, and PlasmaWave technology. What's new compared with the previous model is the sorely missed timer, bumps up airflow, improved 2 years warranty and digital screen with AQ. Combining a very large purifying coverage (close to 400 sq. ft.) and high CADR, 5300-2 would have no issue dealing with pesky household pollutants.What is the trade-off you might ask? For starter pricing wise is not the cheapest nor is the filter replacement. Remote control and dedicated carbon filter are also left out. Also, the pricing is pretty close to 5500-2 that offers better AOC carbon filter plus remote control.
- For less than 150 (or maybe lower), it has excellent spec that matches air purifier 2-3 times of its price.
- Decent CADR and airflow output to support its 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration.
- Washable pre-filter that will trap large particles and reduce obstruction on the True HEPA filter.
- Outstanding True-HEPA filter that has no problem trapping microscopic allergens.
- Auto mode works great alongside the four speed while Sleep mode is very useful in bedroom.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set setting (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Extended 2 years warranty (Winix 5300 only comes with 1).
- The odor absorbing carbon filter is less effective than AOC carbon filter found in 5500-2. You'll also get remote control as standard with a little bit of top up.
- Hassle and requires quarterly filter change on the deodorization carbon filters.
- Auto mode does not react quickly to nearby irritants particularly smoke. Not a big deal as the air purifier sensor will catch on sooner or later.
Back by popular demand. The beautiful Winix 5500-2 air purifier is a significant upgrade over 5500 in almost every department. The most obvious changes are the updated black design with an informative display. It also gains slight improvement in airflow delivery rate, coverage, and CADR. Features that are brought over from the previous version include 3-stage PlasmaWave filtration. True HEPA, AOC Carbon filter, 4 fan speed, timer, remote, and VOC sensors with Auto/ Sleep mode also comes standard.Very little downside bar the costly annual filter replacement and noisy 3-4 fan speed. In short, if you are stuck between 5300-2 and 5500-2 air purifier, go with the later if you could spare the extra dough.
- Super attractive price (after online rebate) when you consider its specification.
- Decent CADR that covers medium room size via its 4-stage PlasmaWave filtration.
- Genuine, True-HEPA filter works as advertised. Excellent in removing allergens and other microorganisms.
- Use a standalone AOC carbon filter rather than cheap out on a carbon pre-filter sheet.
- Full access remote control including the mode selector.
- 4 fan speed plus Auto/ Sleep mode with light sensor. Sleep mode autonomously adjusts the LED indicator brightness according to the room ambient light.
- Built-in timer with 3 pre-set option (1, 4, 8 hours).
- Not outstanding, but an improved 2 years warranty (Winix 5500 only comes with 1-year).
- We like the dedicated AOC carbon filter, but it's not the best in the market when it comes to strong, pungent smell.
- During our test, there is a short delay before 5500-2 reacts to surrounding particles. Either the odor sensor requires cleaning or the sensor takes its own sweet time to detect.
Our top Winix review of the bunch. HR1000 is a high airflow performance, pet approved, 5-stage filtration air purifier. The 5-stage goodies consist of pre-filter, CD carbon filter, PlasmaWave, and True HEPA with Anti-microbial. Thanks to the Wi-Fi pairing, you can virtually control HR1000 from any part of the world so long you are connected online. Besides keeping a log on your AQ status, the app programmable timer that allows advanced fan speed scheduling. By far our best features that we use regularly. Other specification includes particle sensors + VOC sensors, built-in timer, and child-lock.What’s not so great about HR1000 is the noise level generated particular at a higher speed. There is also the unavoidable costly annual filter replacement given it is a 5-stage. If you have no use of the Wi-Fi feature, there is the cheaper HR950 which is essentially the same model without the Wi-Fi capability.
- 5-stage filtration with permanent washable pre-filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Excellent True HEPA filter with Anti-microbial coating that prevents bacteria growth.
- Equally effective Coated Deodorization (CD) carbon filter against odors and smokes.
- Punchy airflow with 4 fan speed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- Sensitive Light and Smart sensor (Particle, VOC) with front air quality indicator.
- Works with Winix SMART app that allows distant control and advanced scheduling.
- Useful Child lock feature that prevents children from meddling on the setting.
- Built-in timer that can be setup straight on the air purifier.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive bundled filter replacement that requires yearly change.
- In sleep mode, indicator light still glares up slightly that may or may not disturb your sleep.
- Pairing with WiFi enabled devices is not as smooth sailing and straightforward as it should be.
Tower size air purifier catered for large purifying coverage and is Wi-Fi enabled? Sign me up! NK105 does not compromise on airflow or filtration as most tower air purifiers would. Packed in a compressed cylinder-shaped size that looks good as part of your home decor. Underneath, you will find a 4-stage filtration with washable pre-filter, HEPA filter, CD carbon, and PlasmaWave. NK105 high airflow and CADR would ensure no dust, pollen or odor would be able to get away once sucked in. Other specification includes 4 speed, filter replacement indicator, child lock, and of course Wi-Fi support that is the same as HR1000.It’s not all pretty though, the steep price and higher than most Winix filter replacement cost is a start. It also lacks built-in timer thus Winix SMART app is your only option. Again, same with HR1000, if you do not fancy the Wi-Fi features, opt for NK100 which is the same model without Wi-Fi support.
- Round tower housing that allows 360 degree air flow distribution with wide purifying coverage.
- Strong, consistent airflow to support 4 fanspeed and Auto mode/ Sleep mode.
- 4-stage filtration with True HEPA, Carbon filter and PlasmaWave™ Technology.
- Highly comprehensive scheduling via Winix SMART app where you could set multiple fanspeed at specific time and day.
- Again via the SMART app, you could turn on or off the unit at anywhere anytime.
- Child lock feature that prevent your loved one from meddling the control.
- Quick and simple filter replacement with only one filter cartridge yearly.
- 2 years warranty.
- Expensive to replace the all-in-one filter.
- Non-washable filter cartridge that if the filter is stuck with unwanted particles, the only solution is to replace the whole filter.
- Bright indicator light that does not dim down enough in sleep mode.
- Not easy connecting to WiFi devices including popular models such as iPad, iPhone and android devices.
The former top-of-the-line model. Winix Signature U450 is a well-loaded air purifier with all the practical features. Utilizing the familiar 5-stage Winix PlasmaWave, it has one of the highest CADR setups. It is swift in removing airborne pollutants at a wide applicable area. List of equipment includes top digital display, remote, VOC/ light sensor, Auto/ Sleep mode and 5 years warranty.As all Signature series air purifiers, U450 is not cheap and hard to find because it is discontinued. You will also not find any built-in timer in this model. For a similar but slightly cheaper alternative with tone down performance, see HR1000.
- Minimalist design that is supported by the handy digital screen and remote control.
- Comprehensive airflow purifying coverage that is great for large size room.
- Impressive stats on all three dust, pollen, smoke CADR.
- 5-Stage Filtration including PlasmaWave Technology.
- The familiar True-HEPA filter that is extremely effective in capturing tiny micron size airborne pollutants.
- AOC advanced Granular Carbon Filter that would captures almost all type of odors and smokes.
- 4 fanspeed with auto mode.
- Sleep mode that dim all indicator lights automatically when there is no light source.
- Washable eco-friendly pre-filter and carbon filters.
- 5 years warranty with the optional extension.
- Considerably expensive with many cheaper alternatives such as Winix P450.
- Bundled cassette filter replacement is certainly not the cheapest in the market.
- Lacks built-in timer which is surprising given its availability in some of the lower end models.
- CleanCel Antimicrobial coated on pre-filter is not as critical as other filtration.
- Bulkier and heavier though justifiable with its capacity.
Replacing 9500, Winix HR900 air purifier is the latest pet machine in the lineup. Its 5-stage filtration includes an extra pet filter that blocks out as many pet hair as possible. With the extra layer of protection, the HEPA and carbon filter can fully focus on other smaller airborne particles. This includes pet odor, pet dander, and germs that many pet owners fear. Other notable features include trio particle sensors, separate filter indicator, timer, and remote.As mentioned earlier, it is a pet dedicated air purifier so pricing is slightly higher than a normal unit. CADR and airflow delivery rate is far from best but no complaints from us. You could use HR900 even if you don't have a cat or dog at home.
- Decent pricing for a 5-stage filtration specialized in pet allergies.
- 300 square feet purification is a big leap from the previous WAC9500 model.
- Double protection with Ultimate pet pre-filter on top of the existing pre-filter.
- Dependable True-HEPA and AOC carbon filter that is effective with contaminants.
- Powerful 4 fan speed plus Auto mode and Sleep mode.
- Built-in timer and child lock that is easily accessible through the control panel.
- Improved 2 years warranty than the previous 1-year warranty.
- High annual filter replacement cost especially if you add the ultimate pet filter.
- Slightly expensive as the cheaper Winix 5500-2 can do the same job with the ultimate pet filter add-on.
- Smart sensors inconsistent reaction time with the surrounding airborne particles.
What is PlasmaWave Technology? Is It Harmful?
PlasmaWave is Winix patented technology that emits positive and negative ions to form hydroxyls. It is not harmful to our body and will not aggravate asthma or breathing condition. Hydroxyl is a safe, reactive molecule formed by single oxygen and hydrogen bonding (OH). The natural water vapor Hydroxyls will break apart chemical, odors, and allergens at the molecular level.
Are PlasmaWave Air Purifiers Safe?
All Winix PlasmaWave air purifiers are certified to be safe. Even though PlasmaWave technology emits very little trace of ozone at around 10 parts per billion. The generated ozone is insignificant to our body as approved by CARB. CARB is an acronym for California Air Resources Board. A primary state agency that protects public health from the effects of air pollution. If you are still not comfortable with the PlasmaWave feature, you can switch it off via its dedicated button.
Compare Winix Models
- Replacement cost ($)
- Replacement cost ($)
- Replacement cost ($)
- Replacement cost ($)
What Winix Replacement Filter Do I Need?
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
Winix Air Quality Indicator Stays Red
If the AQ indicator stays red without changing, the VOC sensor could be dirty and requires cleaning. Try using a cotton swab and gently wipe away the debris within the sensor. The indicator light will revert back to either yellow or blue within a couple of minutes. If not, repeating the cleaning steps again.
How Do I Reset My Winix Air Filter?
Press and hold the filter RESET button for at least 3-5 seconds. A short beep can be heard to confirm the reset. The change Filter Indicator light will also stop illuminating. Please perform the reset AFTER you have replaced it with a new filter.
How Long Do Winix Filters Last?
One year on normal use. True HEPA filter and CD or AOC carbon filter all have a 1-year usage lifespan. Odor control carbon pre-filter only have 3 months lifespan but it comes with a bundled of 4. You will only purchase the replacement on a yearly basis. Washable/ permanent pre-filter does not require replacing unless damaged. All Winix air purifiers come with filter life indicator that will alert you when the filter needs change. If is a Wi-Fi enabled model like HR1000, you can check the filter status via Winix Smart app.
Is Winix A Good Brand?
Winix is a good air purifier brand in removing airborne dust, allergens, and smoke. This is because all models come with a True HEPA filter and PlasmaWave technology. Features wise, Auto/ Sleep mode, air quality indicator are all also standard in the spec sheet. Best of all, it is inexpensive compared with its closest competitor models.
Weird Clicking Noise When Winix Air Purifier is Running.
If you heard a clicking or “electric hum” sound, the noise is likely coming from the PlasmaWave. Try disabling the PlasmaWave feature or set the fan speed to high to overlap the sound.
What Are The Differences Between Carbon Pre-filter And AOC Carbon Filter?
The main differences between the 2 carbon filters are the filtration strength. Activated carbon pre-filter is a 2-in-1 filter that is capable of filtering out large airborne particles like dust plus smoke and odors. The filter is also coated with CleanCel that neutralize germs from growth. On the other hand, advanced odor control carbon filter is 3 times more effective than standard carbon pre-filter. The filter can handle stronger chemical vapors from detergent, pesticide, and VOCs.
What Does Winix Limited Warranty Cover?
It will cover from manufacturer defect (materials and workmanship) at Winix own discretion. The defective product must be within the warranty period and free from any tampering or accidental damage. Proof of purchase with date must be presented before any repair or exchange commence. Warranty will be null and void if the air purifier is used for non-home or consumer purposes. If the air purifier fulfilled all the stipulated conditions, you may call 1-877-MY-WINIX (1-877-699-4649) for repair validation and arrangement.
Where Is Winix Air Purifiers Made From?
Winix air purifiers are made and manufactured in South Korea.
Will Sleep Mode Be Enabled By Default In Auto Mode?
When the air purifier is in Auto mode, sleep mode will automatically engage when the lights go out. You will have to manually select any of the speed to disable both mode.
What is The Differences Between Winix 5300-2 and 5500-2?
Winix 5300-2 is the cheaper version to 5500-2. The former uses a non-washable Odor Absorbing Carbon Filter from the Filter A 115115 set. 5500-2 comes bundled with remote control and uses AOC Carbon Filter from the Filter H 116130 set. Other than that, both air purifiers are identical in many ways from the exterior, features to airflow performance. See Winix 5500-2 VS 5300-2.
What is The Difference Between Winix 5500-2 and WAC5500?
Winix 5500-2 is the replacement model to 5500 so naturally, you see improvement in all aspects. From the updated black design with an improved visual display to the slight bump on airflow. Lower annual filter replacement cost and additional warranty are also here. WAC5500 is at the end of its cycle so expect heavily discount on its retail suggested price. See Winix 5500 VS 5500-2.
What's The Difference Between Winix P450 and U450?
Other than the obvious design differences, P450 is at the cheaper end with lower annual filter cost. P450 also use carbon pre-filter rather than a washable pre-filter. U450 has a higher price tag at the addition of anti-microbial filtration. 5 years warranty, dedicated permanent pre-filter, and AOC Carbon Filter also comes standard. See Winix P450 VS U450.
Ultimate Comparison Table
|Air Purifier||Filtration||Coverage||Score||Online Price|
|Winix 5300-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||7.8|
|Winix 5500-2||4-stage||360 sq. ft. (33 m2)||8.5|
|Winix HR1000||5-stage||400 sq. ft. (37 m2)||9|
|Winix NK105||4-stage||320 sq. ft. (30 m2)||8.5|
|Winix U450||5-stage||450 sq. ft. (42 m2)||8.6|
|Winix HR900||5-stage||300 sq. ft. (28 m2)||8.5|