Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a colorless, odorless, non-flammable gas that is heavier than air and soluble in water. It is naturally present in air and categorized as non-toxic chemicals. At ordinary level, humans and pets exhaled carbon dioxide as it is a natural part of the metabolic activity while plants absorbed carbon dioxide through photosynthesis. Since carbon dioxide is non-toxic and literally everywhere, should you be concerned about carbon dioxide poisoning?
At low concentration level, carbon dioxide is pretty harmless and is used to make baking soda/ powder, carbonated beverage, water supply, medicine and even dry ice. However, at a high concentration level, over-exposed to carbon dioxide could cause anoxia or asphyxiation. The high level of carbon dioxide will occupied the air and with the depletion of oxygen, your whole body including lungs will not be able to function properly. A very good example is dry ice, which is the solid form of carbon dioxide. Over a period of time, a dry ice will sublimates into carbon dioxide gas and therefore releasing a high concentration level of gas in an area. The gas released to the air would decrease or even deplete the oxygen in its surrounding thus posing enough threat to the occupants inhaling it.
Associated health risks of Carbon dioxide (CO2)
Carbon dioxide intoxication, also known as hypercapnia or hypercarbia, is caused by having too much carbon dioxide in the body. Over-exposed to carbon dioxide may cause symptoms such as shortness of breath/ rapid breathing, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomit, twitching of muscles, increased heart rate/ blood pressure, sweating, drowsiness, weakness, loss of mental abilities, unconsciousness, lung disease and finally death. The good news is there are no known permanent health effects caused by carbon dioxide.
Solution to Carbon dioxide (CO2) problems
- Make sure you are at well-ventilated area. A simple action such as open windows and doors can make a huge difference.
- If you are suffering from a mild level of carbon dioxide poisoning, get some fresh air will help instantaneously. If that did not help, seek medical treatment immediately.
- Get a carbon dioxide detector to monitor the carbon dioxide level.
- Plant indoor air filter houseplants in every 100 square feet.
- Get a HEPA-filter air purifier